Suggestions on hotel in Ft Lauderdale

misskittykat

We are flying into FLL and need a hotel for 1 night before our cruise in October. I've never cruised from Ft Lauderdale and know nothing of it at this point. Any suggestions on hotel, airport transfer to hotel, transfer to cruise port etc and things to do for a day would be greatly appreciated!

We are flying into FLL and need a hotel for 1 night before our cruise in October. I've never cruised from Ft Lauderdale and know nothing of it at this point. Any suggestions on hotel, airport transfer to hotel, transfer to cruise port etc and things to do for a day would be greatly appreciated!

What is your budget and what amenities are important to you?

Just a decent clean place to sleep. Nothing fancy. A shuttle to the port would be nice but we can catch a cab.

Lots of people recommend Hyatt Place off 17th Street. The hotel has a free shuttle from the airport and a paid shuttle to the port (which is probably a $10 taxi ride which might be cheaper if there is more than one passenger) and is a in a great location for restaurants and shops. Prices seem to be especially good when you can book it through ValueTrips.com. See this recent thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2168038&highlight=hyatt+place+valuetrips.

It really depends on what is important to you and what you want to do, especially the evening before you sail.

When we are arriving late into FLL, we like to stay at Springhill Suites in Dania. Rooms are large (coffee maker and microwave), free wi-fi, good free breakfast, and free shuttles from the airport and to the pier. Some shopping across the street - Kmart, BJs Wholesale Club, Home Depot, etc., but most of the nearby dining places are fast food (Dave & Busters is walkable though - also one or two other places).

If we are getting in early, we like Hyatt Place (already mentioned) or Embassy Suites right next to it. No free shuttles to pier (but its only about $10-15 taxi). Airport shuttles are a fee deal at Embassy, not sure about Hyatt Place now. Lots of good dining and shopping options nearby and both have free breakfasts. Embassy has a very good free cocktail hour daily.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info - do some homework there.

Arriving late and just want a room, there are several budget options close to the airport.

Arriving earlier and want dinner, etc. Lots of hotels in the 17th Street area of Fort Lauderdale - including just about every variety of Hilton and Marriott brands.

Arriving early and want to spend the day at the beach - lots of variety depending upon your budget.

Prices in OCT should be reasonable - good luck!

I think if you haven't been before, you will want to head into town, not stay out in Dania. Look at hyatt Pl and if you want a good price...use valuetrips.com to book. At least you'll be in walking distance to restaurants.

My choice would be something closer to the beach to start your vacation. Look at Bahia mar as a moderate priced hotel across the street from the beach. Lots of recs here. Price will depend on your date.

We like the 17th St. area and have stayed several times at the Holiday Inn Express there- just down from the Embassy Suites. We often eat at the Embassy Suites for lunch and the Outback nearby for dinner. Lots of walking

areas and shopping nearby too.

DH and I are interested in the water taxi bar run and we thought of staying at the Hilton...is there another hotel that is convenient to the stops made by the taxi? We have used Embassy and Renaissance before and both are nice hotels...I think the best deal we got was 45 dollar rooms at Embassy on Priceline...back in 2004. Probably have gone up a little.

DH and I are interested in the water taxi bar run and we thought of staying at the Hilton...is there another hotel that is convenient to the stops made by the taxi? We have used Embassy and Renaissance before and both are nice hotels...I think the best deal we got was 45 dollar rooms at Embassy on Priceline...back in 2004. Probably have gone up a little.

Take a look at the water taxi website (http://www.watertaxi.com). Off the top of my head, Doubletree Gallery One and the Riverside also have water taxi stops. Other hotels along the beach are within walking distance of a stop.

I think you probably need to double your 2004 price even if traveling in the dog days of summer and if traveling in high season it could be 5 or more times as expensive.

Edited by capriccio

...I think the best deal we got was 45 dollar rooms at Embassy on Priceline...back in 2004. Probably have gone up a little.

:D Ya think???

Look at Bahia Mar too. Two blocks or so from water taxi stop.

Edited by eandj

2nd for Bahia Mar. Beach is across the street, lots of great views of the Inter-coastal and walkable to a lot of bars and restaurants.

If you are there, also check out the Bahia Cabana. Its an awesome little hole in the way Tiki Bar. Best mojitos in Ft Lauderdale!

It really depends on what is important to you and what you want to do, especially the evening before you sail.

When we are arriving late into FLL, we like to stay at Springhill Suites in Dania. Rooms are large (coffee maker and microwave), free wi-fi, good free breakfast, and free shuttles from the airport and to the pier. Some shopping across the street - Kmart, BJs Wholesale Club, Home Depot, etc., but most of the nearby dining places are fast food (Dave & Busters is walkable though - also one or two other places).

If we are getting in early, we like Hyatt Place (already mentioned) or Embassy Suites right next to it. No free shuttles to pier (but its only about $10-15 taxi). Airport shuttles are a fee deal at Embassy, not sure about Hyatt Place now. Lots of good dining and shopping options nearby and both have free breakfasts. Embassy has a very good free cocktail hour daily.

Is there a Walmart within walking distance, or if not, does anyone reading this post know if there is a clean, comfortable hotel in Fort Lauderdale near a Walmart with a free or reasonably priced shuttle service from the airport and later to the pier in Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Is there a Walmart within walking distance, or if not, does anyone reading this post know if there is a clean, comfortable hotel in Fort Lauderdale near a Walmart with a free or reasonably priced shuttle service from the airport and later to the pier in Fort Lauderdale?

Here are two recent threads about the lack of a Walmart near the port that offer some shopping alternatives:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=walmart

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hlight=walmart

No and no.

Fort Lauderdale is nicer that most all the ports you will visit with fantastic dining and attractions.

Stay on 17th Street.

The Embassy, Holiday Inn Express, and Hyatt Place are all good options.

Am looking at booking the Westin in Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone stayed here before. Hotwire has a great rate of $80 a night for my date at the end of November. Are there any restaurants or shopping nearby. Also is the water taxi nearby? What can we expect as far as the weather at the end of November and first part of December.

Am looking at booking the Westin in Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone stayed here before. Hotwire has a great rate of $80 a night for my date at the end of November. Are there any restaurants or shopping nearby. Also is the water taxi nearby? What can we expect as far as the weather at the end of November and first part of December.

There are 2 Westins in Ft Lauderdale. What is the address?

November/December temperatures range from 50s-70s at night to 60s-80s in the daytime. It doesn't rain much that time of year.

There are 2 Westins in Ft Lauderdale. What is the address?

November/December temperatures range from 50s-70s at night to 60s-80s in the daytime. It doesn't rain much that time of year.

It is the Westin Beach Resort & Spa, 321 N Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard.

Any input you can provide is appreciated.

It is the Westin Beach Resort & Spa, 321 N Fort Lauderdale Beach Boulevard.

Any input you can provide is appreciated.

There are 2 restaurants in the Westin, a steak house and an Asian restaurant. A block north in the W is Steak954, and just past that is Sun Sand Surf in the Hilton. If you walk south, you will find Casablanca Café (better food and service for lunch than for dinner IMO). Past there is Via Luna at the Ritz Carlton, then lots of very casual restaurants and shops (including a 24 hr CVS that sells wine) in Beach Place. There is more beyond that. The Water Taxi is closeby...the closest regular stop is Beach Place (2 blocks behind the complex on the intracoastal) and there is an even closer "whistle stop" at Seville St.

There are 2 restaurants in the Westin, a steak house and an Asian restaurant. A block north in the W is Steak954, and just past that is Sun Sand Surf in the Hilton. If you walk south, you will find Casablanca Café (better food and service for lunch than for dinner IMO). Past there is Via Luna at the Ritz Carlton, then lots of very casual restaurants and shops (including a 24 hr CVS that sells wine) in Beach Place. There is more beyond that. The Water Taxi is closeby...the closest regular stop is Beach Place (2 blocks behind the complex on the intracoastal) and there is an even closer "whistle stop" at Seville St.

Thanks for providing input on what is close by (restaurants, shops, etc.)

What can you tell me about the hotel itself. Have you stayed here. I'm sure it's good, it's a Westin. For the price I am seeing on Hotwire, I think I just better jump at it. Thanks again.

Based on your recommendations and others I have booked the Westin Beach Resort & Spa in Fort Lauderdale through Hotwire for just under $100.00 US (not including the $25.oo resort fee to be paid at the hotel). I know this is a great price and am now looking forward to staying in Fort Lauderdale the day/night before our cruise out of Miami.