Status match program. Did it help you choose MSC, did you book another?

mscdivina2016

Did the Status match program work or did it insult those who earned their status?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Status match program work or did it insult those who earned their status?

• No the program had no influence on my decision to book
    • Yes, but I probably won't book another
    • Yes, and I probably will book another
    • Yes, and I have sailed or booked a 2nd one already

The backlash from their loyal cruisers would be too great. They're called 'Loyalty' programmes for a reason. Who knows how many loyal customers MSC has lost as a result of the introduction of the scheme - especially those who were aiming for a Black Card and the benefits that went with it before they were eroded when 'Voyagers Club' came into being.

This Status Match doesn't seem to have caught on so much in Europe - there were only 12 Black Card members on our April cruise and only 9 on our August one - both Eastern Med cruises. If the posts on here are anything to go by, it seems that it's working in the market that MSC is currently trying to build a share in i.e. United States.

I hope you enjoy the benefits you get from the status match and that you have a great cruise, too! :)

Well, I think the backlash would not be so strong IF other companies would follow the same tactic.:rolleyes:

For us, being loyal to Celebrity & Azamara and having high level there, we did want to try other companies, but having certain benefits on CEL & AZA were stopping us from actively looking for other options. :o I know we are not alone in this "internal" fight :) So this program would definitely help to make the choice for people in the same situation and stimulate trying other companies.

And I would welcome the same initiative form other companies. What would eventually happen - the benefits would become less interesting and we would lose some of them, but this will anyway happen over time, looking at cruise sector dynamics - there is no doubt in this... The quality is going down – compare the same cruise (company, itinerary) 5-7 years ago and now… :(

I am 'Gold' through earning on MSC and it is good to see the 5% discount has been brought back. And now I have a hundred times as many points :-) ! I am not sure my lowly 'Platinum' status with Royal Caribbean will carry much muster with MSC but I have asked, all the same. I think it is just 2 points with Cunard - it sounds totally underwhelming I know.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Indeed Sidari! I thought it was "Long time no sea" but I am dyslexic and tend to mix things up appropriately :-)

Such a long time since I was in Sidari. The first in '76 when Corfu/Kerkira, even Greece, was an unknown. Then around 10 years later on a nostalgia trip - I had a day off from the yacht I was working on and rented, without a licence of course, a scooter for the day. I went through Kasiopi, Roda where we had stayed then Sidari before I had to return. I have not been back since.

Corfu is probably one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It is rightly popular. I would only visit now out of season. Then I have my little hideaway in Stoupa in an equally beautiful part of the World.

I do not expect any favours from MSC. However, if they want my custom again, they will have to curry them. Is that another mixed metaflaw :-) ?

Hilarious as ever, Skip. Maybe we'll meet some time on one of your land cruises - it looks unlikely that MSC will be currying your flavour any time soon. Your TripAdvisor reviews are a real sell to me! I'll have to find out how you manage those prices you get!

Bytheway, Gold used to get 10% discount!!!:

..........it is good to see the 5% discount has been brought back
Edited by Beamafar

Status Match Program has me interested in MSC

Will Not be able to until 2017 or 2018

Diamond With Royal

I would be inclined to apply for status match NOW diamond with royal should get you Black on MSC and you cant improve on that.

I say apply as there is no guarantee that they will continue the status match.

Dont know but I think the Black status would last for 3 years? but would expire if you dont book.

I would be inclined to apply for status match NOW diamond with royal should get you Black on MSC and you cant improve on that.

Dont know but I think the Black status would last for 3 years? but would expire if you dont book.

That's very good advice. MSC are constantly changing things - not always for the better, either.

The reason I and parents have not Done Loyalty Match yet is do a MAJOR Illness in the Family