No Celebrity, You Have Not Lost Your Way...

richard1s

I obviously like the Celebrity product or I wouldn't have sailed with them as many times as I have. But each sailing I do feel like things have declined just a little bit. There are things that I miss that I used to have on previous sailings.

There are absolutely things that I like more now than on my first cruise in the 90s. I love the specialty restaurants and beverage packages and more things to do onboard. But I do miss the little touches that made a cruise feel really special.

We decided to branch out and try something new for our honeymoon and I am looking forward to that. Doesn't mean we won't still sail Celebrity, but I am hoping Oceania will have those little touches I miss.

You could ask on your Roll Call if anyone brought the Dailies home.

There has to be one OCD member who did that.

I'm not doubting that there was no food for those hours in the afternoon but I would bet the Dailies reflected that.

I just hope your cruise was a one-off and that's not a new Celebrity policy because we also look for a light something after a port day and really don't want to sit in the cabin waiting for room service .

They seem to experiment with a lot of things on the Summit.

Why is this poster being given such a hard time? She does not (nor do I ) have to prove that there was nothing to eat during a couple hour period between lunch and dinner and late after dinner.... and dailies prove nothing.

This is so unusual for a cruise, that it is in fact worth mentioning and complaining about.

Okay so even if the dailies would reflect that there was nothing available in the Ocean View cafe for that hour and a half , is that acceptable to everyone? From what I'm reading on this post it is definitely not ever happened before. So if this is starting a trend, is everyone okay with this?

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Okay so even if the dailies would reflect that there was nothing available in the Ocean View cafe for that hour and a half , is that acceptable to everyone? From what I'm reading on this post it is definitely not ever happened before. So if this is starting a trend, is everyone okay with this?

If it is in the dailies that there is no food for an hour and a half and I knew I would need food during that time, I would simply make arrangements. I would either take a few things at breakfast or lunch and keep them in my cabin, order room service or I would get something to eat while I'm off the ship. So yes, for me, it would be okay. Edited by NLH Arizona

Could it be said of no alcohol for a few hours too in the afternoon/prime time?

I think most eat more than enough and for sure are not starving, maybe hungry.

I have in my mind that there is always a place to get some food, thus not worried about eating at particular time or time frame. To me, it would be a surprise to learn there is a gap in the gluttony.

Edited by shipshape sam

I am fine with the buffet being closed a few hours at a time during the day.

If I really need to eat I can look up the Mast Grill or call room service.

But that really isn't the point here. For many the Celebrity product is not how they remember it and this food availability issue is just one example.

We have cruised Royal, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity. All have changed since our first cruise in 1990. We continue to select cruises that offer the itinerary, price and amenities we enjoy. If we find Celebrity no longer suits us, we will move on, as we have

done with other lines.

I personally don't think it is a big deal for there to be a "gap" when there is no real food. There is so much to eat the rest of the day

I'm sorry that the person who needed to eat for her medical condition had a problem as a result. I also don't agree with making a person feel bad because of a medical condition or having a difference of opinion.

I am also pretty sure that if something was mentioned that they could have had something delivered to their room or provided with a meal.

At least the next time that person will be aware that it is a possiblity there might be a period of time when they have to plan accordingly.

I have to agree with the OP on the value of a suite in 2017 vs the Obstructed view I stayed in on Carnival in 1986. As a matter of fact I think I paid more. With that said it was much easier for me to come up with that kind of money then, than it is now. Damn mortgage... Damn kids in college. At any rate Celebrity keeps bringing me back for the overall value. I can't afford a suite or even a balcony but I can still afford an Ocean View room that costs less than it did in 1986 and I even get a drink package. Is the food great? In my opinion no but it's edible. My experience in the ocean view in 2013 was the same as irishayes which was my biggest disappointment. Having sailed 5 times prior on Princess who at the time had a 24 hr buffet I was surprised at the limited selection. Being from NY and Italian descent cruise ship pizza and pasta didn't cut it for me. I also found early morning breakfast to be nothing but rolls. I had to wait until 7:30 for eggs that were ice cold everyday. This is what I saw everyday at early breakfast and when returning from port.

18f92a8408a462cf81d05cd0ff560e63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it is in the dailies that there is no food for an hour and a half and I knew I would need food during that time, I would simply make arrangements. I would either take a few things at breakfast or lunch and keep them in my cabin, order room service or I would get something to eat while I'm off the ship. So yes, for me, it would be okay.

The last thing I would ever do, was check the dailies and notice when and where there is food. It used to be that there was always food available somewhere on the ship to just just go and pick-up. This is really a change and not for the better at all. Further, especially on vacation, it isn't always a planned thing. We, for example, had breakfast and decided to skip lunch. We became hungry though before dinner. Late afternoon, there was nothing available anywhere. Not at the grill by the pool, not at the aqua cafe, nothing available at the buffet (curtains pulled down on everything....not even that god awful pizza or pasta. We had no choice but to go back to our cabin and order room service, or be really hungry until dinner. So...to Irish's (?) point, this was an unplanned thing and really astonishing to find nothing available during a couple hour period. One of the things everyone expects on a cruise is food always available, no matter the hour and no matter the quality....but at least always there. Do you remember the mid-night buffets? The fancy ice sculptures and food carvings? All gone. Not a complaint, however just taking it a bit too far especially on port days/nights when people's personal schedules are erratic.

The last thing I would ever do, was check the dailies and notice when and where there is food. It used to be that there was always food available somewhere on the ship to just just go and pick-up. This is really a change and not for the better at all. Further, especially on vacation, it isn't always a planned thing. We, for example, had breakfast and decided to skip lunch. We became hungry though before dinner. Late afternoon, there was nothing available anywhere. Not at the grill by the pool, not at the aqua cafe, nothing available at the buffet (curtains pulled down on everything....not even that god awful pizza or pasta. We had no choice but to go back to our cabin and order room service, or be really hungry until dinner. So...to Irish's (?) point, this was an unplanned thing and really astonishing to find nothing available during a couple hour period. One of the things everyone expects on a cruise is food always available, no matter the hour and no matter the quality....but at least always there. Do you remember the mid-night buffets? The fancy ice sculptures and food carvings? All gone. Not a complaint, however just taking it a bit too far especially on port days/nights when people's personal schedules are erratic.

Even the grill shut down!! :( :eek: :confused: :mad:

But I'll bet the bars were open! (Keep them slightly dazed and they won't notice anything else.) :rolleyes:

Edited by chamima

On my Reflection cruise, that I disembarked Saturday, there was food all day, up until 1:00am, so I don't believe anyone went home hungry. Sounds more to me that the food that was available was either not to the posters liking or they didn't want to go to the Mast Grill, which is clearly open until 6:00pm, or order from room service. In other words, food was available, if someone wanted it.

Not everyone expects there to always be food available on a cruise, but if you do that is your expectation and you should rate your experience on a cruise line, taking that into consideration and if that is important to you, you should a cruise line that has food available to you 24 hours a day.

I remember the midnight buffets and I remember seeing all the wasted food, because most didn't want to eat at mid-night and I believe that is why no ship has one.

My thoughts exactly.

This exactly. I did end up calling Celebrity yesterday and discussing the no food issue. Got nowhere. They made an excuse that it needs to be shut down for a period of time for cleaning. So they KNOW there is no food available; it is by design. He also mentioned room service to me.

Just really, really disappointed with this whole trend.

On my Reflection cruise, that I disembarked Saturday, there was food all day, up until 1:00am, so I don't believe anyone went home hungry. Sounds more to me that the food that was available was either not to the posters liking or they didn't want to go to the Mast Grill, which is clearly open until 6:00pm, or order from room service. In other words, food was available, if someone wanted it.

Not everyone expects there to always be food available on a cruise, but if you do that is your expectation and you should rate your experience on a cruise line, taking that into consideration and if that is important to you, you should a cruise line that has food available to you 24 hours a day.

I remember the midnight buffets and I remember seeing all the wasted food, because most didn't want to eat at mid-night and I believe that is why no ship has one.

Again your experience on the Reflection was NOT our experience on the Summit. Please stop telling me there was food available. You were not on the Summit.

This exactly. I did end up calling Celebrity yesterday and discussing the no food issue. Got nowhere. They made an excuse that it needs to be shut down for a period of time for cleaning. So they KNOW there is no food available; it is by design. He also mentioned room service to me.

Just really, really disappointed with this whole trend.

That is just BALONEY!! :mad:

They can shut down certain areas for cleaning and keep others open as they've done all the years in the past.

On top of the cutbacks it's insulting that they think we're that stupid.

Again your experience on the Reflection was NOT our experience on the Summit. Please stop telling me there was food available. You were not on the Summit.

YOU YOURSELF said that you could have gone to the Mast Grill or ordered from room service, so there WAS FOOD AVAILABLE. So to say that there was no food is really not correct.

BTW, my post you quoted was not directed to you, it was in answer to Fish Lover's response to one of my posts.

Edited by NLH Arizona

YOU YOURSELF said that you could have gone to the Mast Grill or ordered from room service, so there WAS FOOD AVAILABLE. So to say that there was no food is really not correct.

BTW, my post you quoted was not directed to you, it was in answer to Fish Lover's response to one of my posts.

I never checked the mast grille so I don't know if there was food available at the Mast grill. Fish lover above said there was not.

Why are you berating me for this? If you want to pay good money for a cruise where it's very difficult to find food to eat go for it. However , for myself, I'm not giving them any more money if this is what their trend is going to be.

I'm confused, I just talked to my TA who was on the Summit last Fall. I asked her about the buffet being closed. She said never until late at night. She said some stations might be closed during the day, but there was plenty always available, and including port days.

My TA cruises frequently and on many different lines. She said the Summit and Capt. Kate is her favorite. Wonderful ship, wonderful crew, great food, and Capt, Kate. TA said, "happy Captain, happy crew." She said that on disembarkation, Capt, Kate came down to immigration and wished everyone a good bye and thanked them for cruising with her! I have never seen that happen!

I'm confused, I just talked to my TA who was on the Summit last Fall. I asked her about the buffet being closed. She said never until late at night. She said some stations might be closed during the day, but there was plenty always available, and including port days.

My TA cruises frequently and on many different lines. She said the Summit and Capt. Kate is her favorite. Wonderful ship, wonderful crew, great food, and Capt, Kate. TA said, "happy Captain, happy crew." She said that on disembarkation, Capt, Kate came down to immigration and wished everyone a good bye and thanked them for cruising with her! I have never seen that happen!

Yes, well apparently things have changed on the Summit since last fall.

I never checked the mast grille so I don't know if there was food available at the Mast grill. Fish lover above said there was not.

Why are you berating me for this? If you want to pay good money for a cruise where it's very difficult to find food to eat go for it. However , for myself, I'm not giving them any more money if this is what their trend is going to be.

I cruise on three lines and all of them, including Celebrity, has food available 24 hours a day. If one is hungry, there is always something to eat. Edited by NLH Arizona

I cruise on three lines and all of them, including Celebrity, has food available 24 hours a day. If one is hungry, there is always something to eat.

Yes well, not on this one. You are just wrong.

That is just BALONEY!! :mad:

They can shut down certain areas for cleaning and keep others open as they've done all the years in the past.

On top of the cutbacks it's insulting that they think we're that stupid.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes well, not on this one. You are just wrong.

I said all the cruise lines I cruise on has food 24 hours a day, so you are now saying that there was no room service either, WOW. Edited by NLH Arizona