Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi Lars,

We'll be in Alesund next summer with Windstar. I'm looking for a fly fishing guide for the day for my husband, who loves to fly fish. I haven't been able to find anything for guides, although it appears to be a great place to fish. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lars,

We are on Regent sailing to Norway from Iceland and will have 2 stops. One is Alesund and one in Bergen. Problem is Regent is not cruising through any of the Fjords so we need to do them on our own.

Alesund 12 to 8pm

Bergen 9am to 9pm

We are thinking of doing a cruise of the fjord Geiranger in Alesund

In Bergen we wanted to do the train to Flam and the Sognefjord but when I calculate it all it doesn't look like we can do both, so is there a cruise for the Sognefjord from the port of Bergen and next trip we do the train or do you have a better recommendation? So confused :confused:

Hi Lars,

We'll be in Alesund next summer with Windstar. I'm looking for a fly fishing guide for the day for my husband, who loves to fly fish. I haven't been able to find anything for guides, although it appears to be a great place to fish. Any ideas?

This subject is by far my forte so bear with me.

What I have found out is that in the Ålesund area there are a few places to fly fish.

One being the Lake "Lille Vatnet" in the suburb of Spjelkavik (10 minutes drive outside Ålesund).

Also the "Spjelkavikneset" (Spjelkavik Peninsula) is supposed to be a good spot.

Another option is the river or stream rather running through Spjelkavik down toward the ocean by the factory Brødrene Sunde.

The best option would be to take a taxi to these place as this option will be the most hassle free and easy.

There is a fishing forum site called fiskesiden.no (all in Norweigian of course)But, if you go to the forum called "vestlandet" you or your husband should be able to ask questions and hopefully get better answers then I can give you.

I hope this helps a little...

Lars

Hello Lars,

We are on Regent sailing to Norway from Iceland and will have 2 stops. One is Alesund and one in Bergen. Problem is Regent is not cruising through any of the Fjords so we need to do them on our own.

Alesund 12 to 8pm

Bergen 9am to 9pm

We are thinking of doing a cruise of the fjord Geiranger in Alesund

In Bergen we wanted to do the train to Flam and the Sognefjord but when I calculate it all it doesn't look like we can do both, so is there a cruise for the Sognefjord from the port of Bergen and next trip we do the train or do you have a better recommendation? So confused :confused:

You have many options out there but not many that is operational within the ours your ship is docked.

For Bergen:

Taking the boat to Sogndal and back to Bergen will take to long and you will not make it back for when your ship sails as one way with the boat takes approx. 4-5 hrs.

Taking the train or indeed a 8,5 hrs "Norway in a nutshell" tour r/t Bergen might be a solution.

From what I can see the tour do depart before your ship docks. But, I only can see the schedule until mid February.

There might be later departures i the summer season.

This site is excellent for finding tours:http://www.fjordtours.com/en/

This is the nutshell tour:

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/norway-in-a-nutshell/

You could check the schedule 3 months before departure.

Have you thought about doing Bergen - Sognda/Flåm - Geiranger - Ålesund as a self drive? Leave the ship in Bergen and catch it the next day in Ålesund?

Its a very doable solution.

Ålesund to Geiranger:

Your best solution is to rent a car and drive from Ålesund to Hellesylt. Catch the ferry from Hellesylt into the Geirangerfjord and Geiranger.

Do the same route in reverse or hit the route via the Storfjord.

You can hire a private boat which takes 12 persons. This might be costly but it will save you from doing the driving.

the company is called http://www.62.no/

They specialize in tours in the area.

Lars:-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wishing everyone a peaceful Christmas with this picture from Ålesund.

(whats really fun is that you can see our new apartment/house very clearly in this picture. Just a few weeks until we move)

alesund_zpsx4j8tdrl.jpg

Its never to early to start planning your Norway ports so I am here to help you plan your perfect experience.

Lars:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

My DW and I will be in Alesund in July. Is the pier in a location where we can walk around on our own? Is the town small enough to just spend a relaxing day strolling and appreciating a sight and place that few Americans get to see?

Thanks.

Edited by Boiler Cruiser
capitalize title

Good Morning Lars,

We will be coming to Flaam next September on a cruise. There is a group from our roll call interested in taking the train to Myrdal. I sent an email to Flamsbama inquiring about the procedure to do this. I was told one person would have to pay for the tickets in advance. Since i'm the group leader it would be my responsibility to do this and I'm not comfortable with it because I would then have to collect the fares from everyone and there is the possibility that some would change their minds. Is there a way to order the tickets online and pay the day of the trip? I read on CC that someone did that. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Susan Chessin

Good Morning Lars,

We will be coming to Flaam next September on a cruise. There is a group from our roll call interested in taking the train to Myrdal. I sent an email to Flamsbama inquiring about the procedure to do this. I was told one person would have to pay for the tickets in advance. Since i'm the group leader it would be my responsibility to do this and I'm not comfortable with it because I would then have to collect the fares from everyone and there is the possibility that some would change their minds. Is there a way to order the tickets online and pay the day of the trip? I read on CC that someone did that. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Susan Chessin

Hi Susan - As far as I know you have to pay as you book.

I suppose the train company is afraid that holding tickets might end up in no show and thus unsold tickets.

You can pay cancelation insurance by ticking the cancellation policy box online (the cancelation insurance amount is 10% of total ticket amount)

This way you can cancel and get a full refund minus the cancelation insurance amount up to midnight the day before travel (on the train)

Another option might be to get your participants to pay you now before you get tickets.

Paying upfront before a tour sort of makes for better commitment I find;)

Thanks Lars for your quick reply. I like the idea of asking for payment before I purchase the tickets. I think that will solve the problem.

Susan

Anytime:)

From experiance I know that paying upfront solves a few problems.

Another option is to make perfectly clear that if someone cancels after you have booked all the tickets they have to pay their share. As a group leader you will have their full name and cabin number:)

Last option is to get the group to go online and get their own tickets. This can work too as you will have the departure time from Flåm and Myrdal.

Tho I think option one is the best.

Lars

My DW and I will be in Alesund in July. Is the pier in a location where we can walk around on our own? Is the town small enough to just spend a relaxing day strolling and appreciating a sight and place that few Americans get to see?

Thanks.

I am not sure if you have search this thread but here is a wealth of info as to what to do in Ålesund.

The cruise pier is as you can see in the picture where the Celebrity ship is docked.alesund%20pier_zpsxwvjbsnh.jpg

Where the white building is there are a few tents selling tickets for the hop on/off bus and the tourist train.

Its a easy and convenient way to see the town at least if you plan to visit Mt. Aksla viewpoint and dont fancy climbing the over 400 steps up. Also its a good option for the open air museum just outside the town.

If you want to explore on foot you can not miss the Brosundet - The canal running through the town - this is a must. Also explore Apotekergata toward the Scandic Hotel and further to Moloveien with its small wooden houses, artists workshops etc.

You should also visit the Ålesund Church, the Jugend Museum and Ålesund Museum. All with provide you with an excellent experience.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Hello Lars,

I just want to say THANK YOU for all of your help and good information you provide on this thread. I've just started doing some research for our upcoming cruise.

I am very grateful to find your posts and also the posts from Ssislandgirl.

To all the CC members who take the time and effort to help other travelers, THANK YOU!

Bobbie

Hello Lars,

I just want to say THANK YOU for all of your help and good information you provide on this thread. I've just started doing some research for our upcoming cruise.

I am very grateful to find your posts and also the posts from Ssislandgirl.

To all the CC members who take the time and effort to help other travelers, THANK YOU!

Bobbie

Bobbie - Thank you so much for your kind words. They are very much appreciated.

If you need some help for your cruise you know where I am :D

Lars:)

Hi Lars!

Let me start with a HUGE THANK YOU for all of the information provided in this thread. I have taken so many notes from your comments and suggestions - and now my head is spinning! Should we rent a car, ride a train, walk around town, take a boat ride, etc. etc. etc. I decided that I would love to see your best suggestion for each port that we'll be stopping in. Our goal is to see as much as we can - we typically avoid the cruise ship tours. We love either walking or driving around (so that we can spend as much time or as little time as we want) and photographing the beautiful parts of this world that we live in. We are not big museum go-ers ... unless the museum is an absolute must see. Here's our itinerary:

Tuesday, May 3: Alesund (8:00 - 6:00)

- Would definitely like to go to Mt. Aksla for pictures; Was also interested in renting a car to do one of the drives, but not sure if we are too early in the season due to road closures?

Wednesday, May 4: Geiranger (7:00 - 5:00)

- Looks like this port also could be a possibility for car rental, however, again not sure if we are too early

Thursday, May 5: Flam (9:00 - 7:00)

- Interested in the possibility of taking the railway and/or a fjord cruise

Friday, May 6: Bergen (7:00 - 5:00)

- Interested in the funicular and/or a fjord cruise

I've saved lots of links for the above options, however, would be interested in your suggestions based on the time of year that we will be in Norway and our goal of seeing as much as possible.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all suggestions that you have!

Stacy and Scott

Hi Lars!

Let me start with a HUGE THANK YOU for all of the information provided in this thread. I have taken so many notes from your comments and suggestions - and now my head is spinning! Should we rent a car, ride a train, walk around town, take a boat ride, etc. etc. etc. I decided that I would love to see your best suggestion for each port that we'll be stopping in. Our goal is to see as much as we can - we typically avoid the cruise ship tours. We love either walking or driving around (so that we can spend as much time or as little time as we want) and photographing the beautiful parts of this world that we live in. We are not big museum go-ers ... unless the museum is an absolute must see. Here's our itinerary:

- Would definitely like to go to Mt. Aksla for pictures; Was also interested in renting a car to do one of the drives, but not sure if we are too early in the season due to road closures?

- Looks like this port also could be a possibility for car rental, however, again not sure if we are too early

- Interested in the possibility of taking the railway and/or a fjord cruise

- Interested in the funicular and/or a fjord cruise

I've saved lots of links for the above options, however, would be interested in your suggestions based on the time of year that we will be in Norway and our goal of seeing as much as possible.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all suggestions that you have!

Stacy and Scott

Hi Stacy and Scott - Thank you:)

You are visiting very early in the season so options of drives to Trollstigen etc limits itself as the tourist roads are most probably still closed.

We can never be 100% sure before a few weeks before May but I think its safe to say most of them will be in the process of being cleared for opening.

I will of course post the opening dates here as soon as I know.

As for your itinerary my comments in red.

I would suggest you explore the town. Walk the steps to Mt. Aksla. You could do the hop on/off as it also stops at the open air museum outside town. If its a sunny day its a lovely place to spend some time.

You could rent a car to the island of Giske and Godøya for the lighthouse at Alnes. Its a very different scenery out there - very wild and rugged and I am sure you will love it.

- Looks like this port also could be a possibility for car rental, however, again not sure if we are too early.

The road to Mt. Dalsnibba will most probably be closed.

Its a small village so easy to walk around for 40 minutes or so. Do the waterfall walk. Visit the Church.

If you rent a car you can visit the Eagle road and across the mountain to Eidsvatnet lake. Its one of my favourite places and we often rent a log cabin by the lake.

Instead of renting a car you could do a hop on/off bus/tour bus.

Normally I would suggest a visit to Westerås Farm/cafe but not sure if it will be open in early May. You could follow them on FB for updates.

- Interested in the possibility of taking the railway and/or a fjord cruise.

If they operates tours to Nærøyfjord I would suggest you do that. Stunning fjord as long as you enjoy sceneries. If you think a fjord is a fjord (and you will visit a few on your cruise) I would suggest you the railroad for a different scenery. I am not sure you can fit both into your schedule.

If you are into beer then Flåm has a fantastic brewery.

- Interested in the funicular and/or a fjord cruise.

Again, I would suggest walking around Bryggen/Hanseatic area of Bergen. Take the funicular Fløybanen.

Edited by I-Cruiser