What's the strangest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

time4u2go

My husband did something sort of similar. He sleeps in the buff, and when we docked in Nassau he got of bed and threw the curtains wide open in our balcony cabin. He very quickly threw them closed and ran back to bed and pulled the covers over his head. I asked him what was the matter?

He said, "There's a ship docked right next to us, and people out on their balcony. " :D:D

That sounds just like something that would happen to my DH. I would be falling out of bed laughing, (after I inquiered if they seen the moon). Good thing he knows I love him dearly and yes he would have em"bare"ssed me if given the chance to have a good private laugh.:p

1. On our cruise on the Monach during Muster Drill a bride in full regalia came shuffling along in flip flops wearing her life jacket. It was quite a sight.

2. On our Crown Princess cruise we encounted a woman on formal night dressed to the nines wearing bunny slippers.

3. Very elderly woman (forgot which cruise) in a tight knit (very loose weave :eek:) mini-dress with no undies. :eek::eek:

Right before dinner on a formal night they had a Not So Newlywed Game in a small lounge. Recently married #1 American couple, #2 middle aged American Couple and #3 an older South American couple that spoke in an accent. They had the men leave the room and asked the women "What is your husband's favorite condiment?"

Lady #1: Ketchup

Lady #2: Mayonnaise

Lady #3: Trojan

At this point we all were laughing so hard my mascara was starting to run. But everyone totally lost it when the husbands were brought back in and believe it or not Husband #3 matched his wife's answer.

I just spit out my Corn Flakes and milk!!!:D

On the Canival Fantasy in the early 90,s they had a American themed night.In the dining room were many American service men in full dress uniforms,very impressive.The Star Spangled Banner was sung and everyone stood respectfully, even us Canadians.Not to be out done when everyone sat down our group ,(approx.60) started to sing Oh Canada,with out exception every Marine ,sailor,airman soldier in the room stood at attention .I have never seen such a show of respect.

Very nice!

On one cruise, one of the passengers was always well dressed, on board, except for her flip-flops. She had several different colors and apart from formal nights, she ALWAYS had a different color on each foot.

john

Right?! Geez, at the ripe old age of 50 myself, I wonder how many people look at me and think I'm elderly? :p

Well, I'll be 60 before our next cruise. Guess that makes me a dinosaur, or an Egyptian Mummy, make that Daddy.

For Us (and I've seen this a few times), it's the people wearing their RCCL Bath Robes out and about the ship, to the Windjammer, the pool, etc, walking around like they are walking in their own house. I can only pray that they actually have something more than underwear :eek: under them.

This wasn't on a cruise, but years ago we were on a vacation on Sanibel Island in Florida, staying in a beachfront cottage at a resort. The cottage next to us had two German couples (appeared to be 60's and 40's) and a young man in his early 20's. I was sitting on the beach one morning when the five Germans came down to the water in their white terry cloth bathrobes. They proceded to drop the robes and enter the water. No swimsuits, of course. Yards and yards of pale Teutonic flesh quivering in the Florida sun. Glad I was wearing sunglasses.....I could have been blinded. Sanibel Island is a very conservative family-oriented resort town. No clothing-optional beaches to be found. The manager of the resort came dashing out of the office yelling "NO NO NO!!!" The Germans were quite puzzled but put their robes back on and went back to their cottage.

There was an elderly lady on one cruise who showed up at the pool every day wearing a different beautiful bathing suit and matching coverup. However, she also wore pantyhose with the suits....the kind with the darker panty area and reinforced toe. Even went swimming in the panty hose.

This wasn't on a cruise, but years ago we were on a vacation on Sanibel Island in Florida, staying in a beachfront cottage at a resort. The cottage next to us had two German couples (appeared to be 60's and 40's) and a young man in his early 20's. I was sitting on the beach one morning when the five Germans came down to the water in their white terry cloth bathrobes. They proceded to drop the robes and enter the water. No swimsuits, of course. Yards and yards of pale Teutonic flesh quivering in the Florida sun. Glad I was wearing sunglasses.....I could have been blinded. Sanibel Island is a very conservative family-oriented resort town. No clothing-optional beaches to be found. The manager of the resort came dashing out of the office yelling "NO NO NO!!!" The Germans were quite puzzled but put their robes back on and went back to their cottage.

We visit Sanibel every year and I've read, but never visited, a more "relaxed" beach is available somewhere on the island.

There was an elderly lady on one cruise who showed up at the pool every day wearing a different beautiful bathing suit and matching coverup. However, she also wore pantyhose with the suits....the kind with the darker panty area and reinforced toe. Even went swimming in the panty hose.

Wonder if it was a "support hose" kind of thing that she had to wear?

Waiting in the theater for show to start. Small guy is holding 10 seats. Second row center, right behind me. Big guy wanted those seats. Pushed little guy right into the back of my seat. They spent the next ten minutes arguing over who was gay "you're gay", "no, you're gay" Talking smack. These men were not 15, they were 40ish. I asked server to get security, never happened. They then start to ask me who was right. I told big guy that small guy had poor manners, but what he did was assult. They all try to buy me drinks. Kept on arguing. JUST before show starts, big guy's wife sat down next to him and said "great seats, no problem getting them?" I jumped up, figuring fists were going to fly, but I was laughing too hard at her question.

Chances are most people would not notice, it's very difficult to see both earrings at once.:)

john

You'd be surprised at how many people would ask me if I realized that I had two different earrings on. When I said yes, some would laugh, but many would just look perplexed like they were still trying to figure out why.

Why? Just Because.

And they were tighty whities...but nothing from Quest should count anyway;)

The strangest was a couple who dressed identically throughout the cruise; not alike, as in same colors, but in the exact same brand and style of clothing, wearing hats that proclaimed their love for one another by name. Really! But they could cut a great rug at Boleros and they looked like they just adored each other!!

But, I'm sure someone thought I was the strangest thing they have ever seen ("look at her...who doesn't gamble on a cruise ship...weird!!"):D

I think I have seen this couple too on a recent cruise!

Last year on our honeymoon cruise, we attended the newlywed game assuming we would be the most recently married couple, however we weren't. We didn't make the show, but had a great time watching. The couples never went back stage so we know they weren't coached. They chose three couples. One who had been married the shortest amount of time, middle, and the longest married couple. The longest married couple had been married i think they said like 60 years?

Anyways. They asked the question to the wives "if your husband found himself on a deserted Island without you, which would he rather find? A missionary or a stripper?" And I swear to you the little old 80 some year old man's response was "a stripper in the missionary position" The whole place erupted. He got a standing ovation!

Last year on our honeymoon cruise, we attended the newlywed game assuming we would be the most recently married couple, however we weren't. We didn't make the show, but had a great time watching. The couples never went back stage so we know they weren't coached. They chose three couples. One who had been married the shortest amount of time, middle, and the longest married couple. The longest married couple had been married i think they said like 60 years?

Anyways. They asked the question to the wives "if your husband found himself on a deserted Island without you, which would he rather find? A missionary or a stripper?" And I swear to you the little old 80 some year old man's response was "a stripper in the missionary position" The whole place erupted. He got a standing ovation!

Hmm, sounds like pandering to the crowd to me. A little too coincidential that it was the 80 year old man who had that as a snappy comeback line. BTW, the couples had to go back stage, otherwise they would have heard their partner's response. It was a good response anyway though.

A few years back on my Jewel of the Sea cruise, I participated in the "Best Legs" contest and the CD definitely gave me tips for "playing to the crowd." The fun on cruise ships is almost always carefully orchestrated, although not always, as indicated by some of the antics on this thread.

While I do agree that the crew staff know what will get the audiences' best response I don't believe they are given prompts to say. I have seen couples participate in the Newlywed game that have obviously practiced their lines before hand, since there is no way all the questions could be answered exactly alike. This one, obviously practiced couple, were almost booed for their attempt at being humorous.

That being said, my bride and I were participants in the twist contest on the Adventure a few years ago. As the third couple to dance the Cruise Director did come over and say, "if you want to win you will have to do something to wow the crowd". So yes, I did whip off my shirt and twirl it over my head prior to throwing it into the crowd (I am the husband...:(). We are not youngsters by the way. The crowd did yell and cheer and yes we did win. Was it staged? Nope. Perhaps the cruise staff have a talent to watch for folks who are more "open". Perhaps not. Maybe we were just the best dancers.

We were on a cruise that had a group of cross-dressers on board. Some looked pretty nice, and others looked worse than I would if I dressed in drag. :eek: During the cruise they had a group photo taken. :)

The photographer was the happiest man on the ship a few days later, he must have sold 500+ copies of the picture to the 1400 pax on board! :D We still have ours, somewhere.:cool:

Hmm, sounds like pandering to the crowd to me. A little too coincidential that it was the 80 year old man who had that as a snappy comeback line. BTW, the couples had to go back stage, otherwise they would have heard their partner's response. It was a good response anyway though.

A few years back on my Jewel of the Sea cruise, I participated in the "Best Legs" contest and the CD definitely gave me tips for "playing to the crowd." The fun on cruise ships is almost always carefully orchestrated, although not always, as indicated by some of the antics on this thread.

They actually wrote their answers down silently on an eraser board so neither saw. They also had their backs to each other so they couldn't see what the other was writing.