What's the strangest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

time4u2go

Last year on our honeymoon cruise, we attended the newlywed game assuming we would be the most recently married couple, however we weren't. We didn't make the show, but had a great time watching. The couples never went back stage so we know they weren't coached. They chose three couples. One who had been married the shortest amount of time, middle, and the longest married couple. The longest married couple had been married i think they said like 60 years?

Anyways. They asked the question to the wives "if your husband found himself on a deserted Island without you, which would he rather find? A missionary or a stripper?" And I swear to you the little old 80 some year old man's response was "a stripper in the missionary position" The whole place erupted. He got a standing ovation!

Brother-n-law and wife, celebrating 50 year anniversary, were on stage and asked this very same question.

When CD read answer, she said the same thing. Sounds like this is the prepared answer for the question. Also, bIL told us that was not what his answer had been. The audience loves it and thats what counts.

Certainly the most incomprehensible was an enormously overweight guy complaining to the Purser that he wasn't getting enough to eat (& yes there was 24hr dining!!)

The grossest has to be on a minicruise to Egypt. The sea was very rough & on a table opposite to mine, there was a woman eating spaghetti carbanara, then puking into a sickbag, then eating again. Had to get up & leave the dining room or I would have had to borrow her bag!

Nothing too 'weird' as such, but on Indy this January, there was a very flamboyantly dressed man who would always standout in these lovely suits etc - we called him Elton John for the first week or so. You'd see him every night on the Prom. Then one night, no sign of him. Next morning in WJ having breakfast and grandparents are telling me they were convinced a man was dressed as a lady the previous evening; I joked it could have been Elton.

Couple of nights later casually wandering down the prom and I thought to myself how well dressed a lady was. As I got nearer, I realised it was him. I laughed so much in my head. We spoke to him that night in Schooner/Labyrinth and told him we thought he looked fab and good on him. He giggled and said 'it was so much fun to see some peoples reactions and double takes'. He was very sweet!

Ron/Roxanne, if you're out there, we all say hi!

Probably not so strange as sad...on one of our cruises there was a guy who sat at the same bar all day and night. He was there regardless of the time of day we passed him and always on the same stool and he always had a bucket of beer beside him.

On the same cruise there was what some call a 'cougar'. She wore a one piece white bathing suit that you could see through when it got wet. She sat down beside any man that wasn't with someone, usually a younger man. My husband was about the same age as her I think and the first time she sat beside him when I went to get something I put her in her place when we came back with just a look.

Going into Petersburg, AK, the ship went up this very narrow waterway, more like a narrow river between the islands, where it is deep enough only at high tide. Due to it being so narrow and shallow, the propellers literally suck the water away from the shore. Wonderful sight seeing too, since there are a lot of eagles and opreys in the trees. You can also watch them fishing, and if you are lucky, one may use the updraft from the ship, and soar 10' above your head.

Probably not so strange as sad...

Having read that back it sounds bad. I was laughing not because I thought it funny/odd/weird/etc but because I'd not believed my grandparents. He brought so much fun to the last week of that cruise-one of these people that just didn't care what others thought, but at the same time never faulted on politeness or manners. :-)

Never did figure this one out!

That guy looks like Tarp Man who was on our Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal cruise on the HAL Maasdam this past May. Tarp Man had blue and green plastic tarps that he alternated and wore every day not only on board the ship, but also on shore excursions and in ports.

There is a reason we also try to get a table for two!

Kathy

That guy looks like Tarp Man who was on our Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal cruise on the HAL Maasdam this past May. Tarp Man had blue and green plastic tarps that he alternated and wore every day not only on board the ship, but also on shore excursions and in ports.

There is a reason we also try to get a table for two!

Kathy

We only saw blue tarps on the Oosterdam in 2009 :confused:

We only saw blue tarps on the Oosterdam in 2009 :confused:

For hygiene reasons, maybe he decided to get another tarp. :D

At first we thought he was a character employed by the ship, like an enrichment speaker or entertainer. Then we found out he was a passenger.

We were on a cruise that had a group of cross-dressers on board. Some looked pretty nice, and others looked worse than I would if I dressed in drag. :eek: During the cruise they had a group photo taken. :)

The photographer was the happiest man on the ship a few days later, he must have sold 500+ copies of the picture to the 1400 pax on board! :D We still have ours, somewhere.:cool:

Not sure I am crazy about the fact that it sounds like anyone can buy a copy of any photo that is taken. Or am I misunderstanding?

Not sure I am crazy about the fact that it sounds like anyone can buy a copy of any photo that is taken. Or am I misunderstanding?

There's really nothing to stop somebody from buying somebody else's pictures.

The cruise contracts generally reserve all photographic rights to the cruise line. If you buy the cruise video you'll get pictures of lots of guests. Same with the still photos. But, yes, it can be a bit "creepy".

Charlie

I adore people and the weird ones just make life more entertaining :) They sure are more memorable than those of us who try to blend in and not make a scene.

One story we will always remember was an elderly gent and his girlfriend on the dance floor a few years back, it was at the dueling piano show. We knew a lot about them because they told the crowd, the piano players were hysterical and it was great fun. His name was Bob-O, they both had had way too much to drink. A couple hours later, we're in the Atrium having an ice cream cone and here comes the paramedics with Bob-O on the gurney, oxygen mask in place. Not quite funny at that point, but following after the stretcher, here comes the girlfriend, still dancing along with drink in hand.

When I say elderly, they had to be in their 80's...not 50's ;)

I sure hope Bob-O was OK, we never saw them out and about again.

Such a shame that this thread stopped attracting contributors...it was my very favourite thread and I really miss the stories! Come on...anyone else out there have some funny stories from their previous cruises...I need my daily fix!

Travis Barker and others from the rock band Blink 182 were on the same transatlantic crossing as me last September. To be honest, I always thought he was a bit of an arrogant jerk, based on nothing more than his public profile.

But then I saw him with his kids. Being a dad. And a quiet, normal guy. And being courteous and friendly toward people who came up to him. Totally blew me away how different he is in reality.

The absolute oddest thing I ever saw on a cruise ship was him in all his heavily-tattooed glory curled up in a chair in the library reading something on his laptop, surrounded by a half-dozen grey-headed retirees in their butterfly sweatshirts and velour track pants, also quietly reading.

Travis is awesome! He doesn't fly much at all because of the plane accident him and DJ AM (now deceased) were in a few years ago. Him and AM survived but the other 4 passengers were killed.

On the final night of a 10 day cruise, our tablemate suddenly just slumped forward with her face in her plate. She was ashen in color. We ran over to her side of the table and lifted her head our of her food and checked her pulse while alerting the waitstaff. Luckily, she had a pulse and came to.

Her first question: "Did you get a picture?"

On the final night of a 10 day cruise, our tablemate suddenly just slumped forward with her face in her plate. She was ashen in color. We ran over to her side of the table and lifted her head our of her food and checked her pulse while alerting the waitstaff. Luckily, she had a pulse and came to.

Her first question: "Did you get a picture?"

HAHAHAHAHA:p:p:p:p:p

On Oasis of the Seas I encountered a slender 40-something woman on the elevator at about 10am who had been collecting various types of food from venues all over the ship. She had a half dozen donuts from the donut shop on Boardwalk and waffles, eggs, bacon, and sausage from the Windjammer and several cupcakes from the cupcake place on the promenade deck - she was carrying 6 plates worth of food, plus a couple of cokes, some orange juice and a specialty coffee. I said, "Well, you must be hungry!" and she replied, "Oh, it's all for my teenage son. He just woke up." Yes, she was actually fulfilling her son's "room service" order instead of telling her lazy young man to get out of bed and get food for himself! LOL! I only hope she actually had a chance to enjoy her vacation at some point.