Special restaurant for lunch wanted

WestfieldTraveler

They always call a cab for us. No problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great to hear.

One more dumb question: A year ago we wanted to grab a taxi around 8-8:30 at night at the port (Royal Naval Dockyard) to go to Hamilton. We couldn't find any taxis anywhere. There were plenty of taxis and shuttles during the day to go to the beach but nothing at night. Did I miss something?

Great to hear.

One more dumb question: A year ago we wanted to grab a taxi around 8-8:30 at night at the port (Royal Naval Dockyard) to go to Hamilton. We couldn't find any taxis anywhere. There were plenty of taxis and shuttles during the day to go to the beach but nothing at night. Did I miss something?

You didn't miss anything. There are rarely taxis there at night. Just not enough demand to warrant waiting for a fare.

Wow. Ok, at least I don't feel so stupid anymore. :)

I see that now they have an app called "Hitch" for your phone to contact taxis. Best part of this is convenience when you don't see any like you outline and not having to carry cash as it's automatic to your credit card listed on the app. Of course most folks turn off their roaming data when they visit but I will probably have it on for some of my upcoming visit. Realize the public transport is very good in Bermuda but sometimes you have limited time and the taxi is the way to go. I loaded it and will see if I actually have an opportunity to use it.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20151107/NEWS/151109771

I see that now they have an app called "Hitch" for your phone to contact taxis. Best part of this is convenience when you don't see any like you outline and not having to carry cash as it's automatic to your credit card listed on the app. Of course most folks turn off their roaming data when they visit but I will probably have it on for some of my upcoming visit. Realize the public transport is very good in Bermuda but sometimes you have limited time and the taxi is the way to go. I loaded it and will see if I actually have an opportunity to use it.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20151107/NEWS/151109771

I didn't try it last year because I didn't like the reviews it got in the iOS app store. There were only a few reviews which is too small a sample but I am wary about Hitch until there are more reviews.

I didn't try it last year because I didn't like the reviews it got in the iOS app store. There were only a few reviews which is too small a sample but I am wary about Hitch until there are more reviews.

Hitch is fantastic- we use it all the time. The negative reviews were planted by angry taxi drivers. Don't believe everything you read online.

Hi all,

we're taking the Anthem to Bermuda, docked at King's Wharf on Saturday Aug 5th from 8am to 4pm, and we are traveling with my wife's sister and brother-in-law whose 45th wedding anniversary is that day. We would like to take them to a nice (but by no needs fancy) restaurant where they could have a memorable lunch, perhaps with a nice view or something else that they could enjoy. And who knows - maybe they would even want to renew their vows! (we already have an available minister).

Taking a cab/limo or even renting a car or getting a boat ride to any place on the island is open. Making a reservation and a place that would be good in any weather would be preferred. Any ideas?

Little (not too) secret idea is the restaurant at Rosewood Tucker's Point called The Point. The dining room itself is one of the more formal on the island but the adjacent bar area has a really handsome lounge and they serve the main menu as well as a more casual bar menu. Never have had a bad meal and the surroundings are delightfully British colonial. The resort is stunning to walk around and great views.

Hitch is fantastic- we use it all the time. The negative reviews were planted by angry taxi drivers. Don't believe everything you read online.

You should post a positive review in the app store. What made me wary was there were almost no reviews. Not just the bad reviews. The negative reviews I figured might be because they didn't understand that gratuiites are included or that Sundays and Holidays have a surcharge. I think since most on cruises turn their cell phone off we don't get much feedback from cruise passengers about Hitch.

You should post a positive review in the app store. What made me wary was there were almost no reviews. Not just the bad reviews. The negative reviews I figured might be because they didn't understand that gratuiites are included or that Sundays and Holidays have a surcharge. I think since most on cruises turn their cell phone off we don't get much feedback from cruise passengers about Hitch.

The app was just as easy to use as Uber and was really great when we wanted to venture to places we weren't sure we'd be able to find a cab back from. Takes all the guess work out. Also, being able to pay by credit card is huge considering how much cash you normally need to carry and that very few cabs take credit cards outside of the app.

The app was just as easy to use as Uber and was really great when we wanted to venture to places we weren't sure we'd be able to find a cab back from. Takes all the guess work out. Also, being able to pay by credit card is huge considering how much cash you normally need to carry and that very few cabs take credit cards outside of the app.

Good to know, thanks for posting as I plan on using it when we're there in August.

Little (not too) secret idea is the restaurant at Rosewood Tucker's Point called The Point. The dining room itself is one of the more formal on the island but the adjacent bar area has a really handsome lounge and they serve the main menu as well as a more casual bar menu. Never have had a bad meal and the surroundings are delightfully British colonial. The resort is stunning to walk around and great views.

Thanks - took a look at the pictures from the resort website and yes - that dining room is formal!! Seems like the bar area and lunch menu there would be more our style. Also, although I'm sure the hotel could call a cab, good idea about the Hitch app - hopefully there are enough drivers using it to make it reliable enough - seems to have been around since 2015. Also, as long at it still uses registered taxi drivers it is probably one safety level above Uber, which I don't think is available on Bermuda yet.

Edited by WestfieldTraveler
detail

Thanks - took a look at the pictures from the resort website and yes - that dining room is formal!! Seems like the bar area and lunch menu there would be more our style. Also, although I'm sure the hotel could call a cab, good idea about the Hitch app - hopefully there are enough drivers using it to make it reliable enough - seems to have been around since 2015. Also, as long at it still uses registered taxi drivers it is probably one safety level above Uber, which I don't think is available on Bermuda yet.

The lounge is much more casual than the dining room- most resort guest hang out in shorts and no one gets a second look. There are cabs at the hotel but Hitch works much better- have used it a while now with no issues. Worth it for not having to pay cash alone. I don't think it makes it safer or less safe- just more convenient. Registered taxis anywhere are about to become a thing of the past.

Registered taxis anywhere are about to become a thing of the past.

I would not count on that in Bermuda. The taxi drivers are a powerful group there.

Here in the DC area we have Uber, Lyft for several years and still plenty of registered taxis in DC and Montgomery County. Uber and Lyft have not put the taxi companies out of business.

I would not count on that in Bermuda. The taxi drivers are a powerful group there.

Here in the DC area we have Uber, Lyft for several years and still plenty of registered taxis in DC and Montgomery County. Uber and Lyft have not put the taxi companies out of business.

This is starting to veer off topic but I actually live in DC. Uber and Lyft were the best thing that could have happened- we had some of the worst cabs in the country, entitled drivers who flagrantly ignored passenger rights, and a very corrupt regulating body. The two companies devastated the status quo and the taxi companies are in slow, but steady decline. The taxi commission tried to go head to head with them but eventually blinked.

I agree that it most likely wouldn't happen in Bermuda but purely for the reasons that it's not terribly easy to import vehicles there, the existing fleet and workforce aren't nearly as bad as DC was pre Uber (the drivers in particular are a lovely bunch of people overall), and the Hitch app complements the existing taxi infrastructure rather than trying to disrupt it.

Actually, how to get back to the ship in time is VERY relevant when you are not on a ship's excursion. The only negative with the last restaurant suggested is that it is all the way on the other side of the island from where the Anthem docks, so we would need to be comfortable with the transportation options in order to go there.

And for interesting discussions on cars in Bermuda one can read the stories and comments regarding the ban on Bermuda licensed drivers by Massachusetts last year. Apparently since private ownership of cars only really started after WWII, Bermuda was not a signatory to the usual treaties allowing cross-honoring of licenses, and Mass. was actually just starting to enforce that. If I was planning on something like this in other places I would travel to, I would likely rent a car if possible, but until recently, that was not possible in Bermuda, and only now two-seater cars are being rented from small fleets mainly held by resorts. (no, we will not be jumping on scooters!)

So, yes, transportation is a concern, which makes some of the Hamilton options more appealing if we can depend on the ferry there and back.