live from Viking Bragi 10/3/15 sailing

cherylakers

We are having a great cruise so far. Weather in Amsterdam was perfect. We all loved the city.

currently docked in Cologne. cloudy, cool and very windy today. We docked about 1.5 miles from city center.

Food is very good. Staff is terrific. They cant do enough for you.

If you have questions i will try and answer them.

Cheryl

Hello cherylakers,

this morning you are docked in Koblenz, as I can see from that "Big Brother" called webcam: http://www.bafg.de/php/deutsches-eck-gross.jpg

As I write the Viking Bragi is docked next to (meaning onto) the Viking Kvasir. On the Moselle the Mps Rigoletto is docked next to the Antonio Belucci.

Rafting is common in Koblenz both at the Viking dock on the Rhine and at the Moselle berths round the corner from Deutsches Eck.

Can you find out why you were docked 1.5 miles from the city centre, please, I believe the Viking dock is closer than that? Low water problems?

The Rhine is still very low, but has risen a few centimetres. Things are still not looking good on the Danube, the Main is low but reports seem to suggest that the lock system is keeping the water at a comfortable level for sailing.

But first enjoy the Rhine gorge, the colours are changing into autumn reds and golds as you sail along. A great time to travel with all that new (young) wine about. Try some Federweisser if you can. In moderation. ;)

Have a great time.

notamermaid

Not sure why we docked where we did. most of us went to Marksburg castle. Some went to the castle across the river from where we docked. When they boarded the shipmoved closer to us by Marksburg where we pciked it up and sailed by all the castles.

It was spectacular. We had a little rain along the way.

There is so much traffic on the river. We are amazed at it.

Very good day aboard the Bragi.

We were in Rothenburg today. What a fabulous city. So much architecture and color. The city wall is totally intact and surrounds all the lovely shops and residences.

We had a very nice lunch in town included with our excursion. It was typical brats, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, bread and apple strudel. It was yummy.

shop after shop of Christmas items and biersteins.

We did get news tonight that the river is too low for us to proceed past Nuremberg, therefore will swap ships that afternoon. Oh well we will make the best of it.

Bamburg tomorrow.

So glad to hear about your thoughts on Viking Bragi! We're sailing Vidar (Budapest - Amsterdam) on the 19th. Sounds very likely we may have a ship swap at Nuremberg if the river spirits aren't fed! Ah well, I'm still revved for the experience! Positive or negative is primarily a matter of attitude anyway! :D

I will say Viking was wonderful during our ship swap. The Skadi crew was there to greet us as we boarded with champaigne and hot towels. We has a wonderful dinner. They arranged a few extra shore excursions for us too.

I dont know where all the negative comments about Viking in general are coming from. They have beennothing but wonderful in all areas.

If you do your research, you know what to expect. This has been beyond our expectations.

Now time to get ready for a morning mochachino and pastry. Yummmmm

Hello cherylakers,

they really seem to spoil you. :) Great to hear you are having a wonderful time.

By the way, I am not sure if my question was unclear. I was wondering why you were docked so far out of Cologne. In Koblenz it was clear where Viking docks. The small town and dock for Marksburg (the castle on the hill) is Braubach.

Have you done some souvenir purchases yet? Perhaps some Christmas ornaments?

notamermaid

It seems that we dont always get he prime docking spots.

Today for instance we are in Melk. Our ship is across the river from the Melk Abbey. All other river ships are docked on the same side as the abbey.

Yesterday we were in Passau. We had a wonderful organ concert.

To the right of the cathedral is a cafe. You go upstairs. You can sit outside on the terrace. We had a wonderful pastry and hot chocolate up there.

Make sure you walk down to the Inn river bank. It is beautiful.

We have bought Christmas ornaments in both Rothenberg and Nurenburg. Found some other Christmas things too. My carryon is full and we still have Vienna and Budapest and finally Berlin.

It has been cold. If you are coming soon make sure you have gloves and some thing to cover your ears. I brought a few scarves with me and have freaaly used them. Tomorrow we are in Vienna and the are predicting rain and 45 of a high. Burrrrr.

We had fabulous Italian food in Passau yesterday.

Looking forward to Vienna.

I heard from one of my friends on the Elbe and he said the same thing - BURR!!! He said they're having unseasonably cold weather but that their Viking cruise (despite the no-sailing, only bussing & ship swap) has been really good so far. Not up to Tauck standards, but still very enjoyable and they're appreciating it for what it is.

I agree with you on the river traffic! I was just amazed at how busy the Rhine is with commerce! Hope it warms up for you & hope you continue to enjoy it.

I heard from one of my friends on the Elbe and he said the same thing - BURR!!! He said they're having unseasonably cold weather but that their Viking cruise (despite the no-sailing, only bussing & ship swap) has been really good so far. Not up to Tauck standards, but still very enjoyable and they're appreciating it for what it is.

I agree with you on the river traffic! I was just amazed at how busy the Rhine is with commerce! Hope it warms up for you & hope you continue to enjoy it.

Thanks so much. Vienna was wonderful but it rained most of the day. We sail in to Budapest late tomorrow night so we can see this magnifiscent city all lit up.

The following day we get off and continue on with plans we arranged.

I just love Europe.