Plants and Flowers from another U.S. port?

Can you buy plants and flowers from different ports and bring them home with you? The reason I ask is because I got, well had as it just died, a night blooming cereus on a trip to South America 10 years ago. I heard St John has some incredible ones that naturally grow there as well. I know you have to hike a little to see them and it is time constraining to get there and back on time from a St Thomas stop, but I really would like another and I know St John has some of the best. I know there are all these laws and rules about animals and veggies from other countries that are too confusing to keep up with, so I came up with an idea and wondered if this would work?

Find a cruise where St Thomas is the last stop before going back to Miami. Remember, St Thomas is a U.S. Territory so this should be fine? Push and pull people out of the way as fast as we can when the boat docks. Take a taxi over to Red Hook as I do not want the longer boat ride from CA. Arrive on St John, get another taxi if need be, then do our 2 mile hike up a mountain (I know right where these rare plants are!), finally, grab a few of the suckers out of the ground and stick them in my backpack. Get back to our cabin as fast as we can and make a planter out of something creative like that little tin trash can. Put some water in, find something on board that would act like potting soil for a day (I was thinking some raw meat from Guy's burgers if they hand that out?), then set it on balcony in the sun for our final sea day. It is not like smuggling alcohol as I simply pulled a few of the plants from the wild, plus it is basically traveling from U.S. to U.S. with just one sea day in-between.

We are also locals to Florida so we could quickly get back to the east side of Homestead. This exotic and beautiful plant lives just fine in South Florida so it is not like I would not be taking good care of it. I was just wondering if since it was from the U.S. to the U.S. if I can bring live plants on? Also, and not to make this into an alcohol smuggling questions, but if I found a couple little ones and they were in my backpack would they even get detected in the scanner? I really want at least a 4 or 5 footer they are so beautiful, but I just do not know the laws of bringing them back on so if I have to hide a couple little ones so be it. They might not bloom often but the blooms are GORGEOUS!

Thanks! Serious replies only from those with knowledge on the subject!

Flowers and Plants: Only permitted on board if ordered through Carnival’s Fun Shops or delivered by a florist in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

there is no ambiguity here... the answer is no. you wont even be allowed to board with it at the port

• From the Carnival web site:
  • Flowers and Plants: Only permitted on board if ordered through Carnival’s Fun Shops or delivered by a florist in the port of embarkation but are not permitted to be taken off the ship in the United States, per the U.S Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) Agricultural Division.

Thank you for the responses, but some did not make logical sense in answering all my questions. But again, thank you.

I'll tackle the Walmart subject first. OK, you had to be looking at a South Florida search if you even found one of these plants at a Walmart. Secondly, you must know if you are a google searching expert that buying plants and flowers from a Walmart or Home Depot might be cheap, um, the quality is nothing like a true locally owned garden center. Finally, they are not "true" home grown naturally from the ground. Odds are they are some fusion with something else that a hybridizer made up and they will not look as good or die within a year. Thank you for the idea, but I have a horticultural degree from THE U.

As for some of the others, I know it might not be "ethical", but with the smuggling posts out there, would they really catch a plant going through the scanner? I understand it is a completely different topic than bringing alcohol back on the boat, but I never saw a topic on it. What do the scanners really pick up? We know glass bottles are a no no to sneak alcohol back on, but seriously, how could they xray a plant? I understand St John is a national park and it is probably illegal as well to pull vegetation out of there, but you do not understand. I REALLY LOVE THESE PLANTS AND WANT A NATURAL ONE! TRUE TO NATURE! And yes, I know the plant well so know if I have to dig up a small one it is fragile and might die, but there is even more to it. What if I dug up a 4 or 5 foot plant and the security guards tried to stop me getting on the boat? What would they do with this rare and precious plant? Think about it, what if you purchased an exotic animal from say Aruba, what would they do with the poor living soul within? Do proper authorities take it and make sure it lives a good life? Or do they just dump it into the sea like they do with our feces from those loud in cabin toilets?

I truly am being serious, but there were just some vague or not well thought out answers.

Also, am I looking at jail time if I try to get a plant on the boat? Need more info people, not some quick responses. Again, SERIOUS replies only from those that might know something from the cruise ship or legal field.

But thank you for trying.

Thank you for the responses, but some did not make logical sense in answering all my questions. But again, thank you.

I'll tackle the Walmart subject first. OK, you had to be looking at a South Florida search if you even found one of these plants at a Walmart. Secondly, you must know if you are a google searching expert that buying plants and flowers from a Walmart or Home Depot might be cheap, um, the quality is nothing like a true locally owned garden center. Finally, they are not "true" home grown naturally from the ground. Odds are they are some fusion with something else that a hybridizer made up and they will not look as good or die within a year. Thank you for the idea, but I have a horticultural degree from THE U.

As for some of the others, I know it might not be "ethical", but with the smuggling posts out there, would they really catch a plant going through the scanner? I understand it is a completely different topic than bringing alcohol back on the boat, but I never saw a topic on it. What do the scanners really pick up? We know glass bottles are a no no to sneak alcohol back on, but seriously, how could they xray a plant? I understand St John is a national park and it is probably illegal as well to pull vegetation out of there, but you do not understand. I REALLY LOVE THESE PLANTS AND WANT A NATURAL ONE! TRUE TO NATURE! And yes, I know the plant well so know if I have to dig up a small one it is fragile and might die, but there is even more to it. What if I dug up a 4 or 5 foot plant and the security guards tried to stop me getting on the boat? What would they do with this rare and precious plant? Think about it, what if you purchased an exotic animal from say Aruba, what would they do with the poor living soul within? Do proper authorities take it and make sure it lives a good life? Or do they just dump it into the sea like they do with our feces from those loud in cabin toilets?

I truly am being serious, but there were just some vague or not well thought out answers.

Also, am I looking at jail time if I try to get a plant on the boat? Need more info people, not some quick responses. Again, SERIOUS replies only from those that might know something from the cruise ship or legal field.

wow...

Just when I thought I heard from all the 'entitled ', 'its all about me' and 'I dont think the rules apply to me' people... you just jumped over all of them and became their ruler... CONGRATS

If they catch you bringing it on they will take it away and throw it away. If they catch you at the home port they will take it away and throw it away and you could be fined.

and here I thought we were asking a legitimate question and didn't know the rules, but this was just another smuggling thread.... wow... just wow....

the rules don't apply to me and if you tell me that its wrong I will just spit out that others do wrong too so its all ok. I dont care if its against the rules or even if its harmful... this is all about me me me me me and no one else on the planet and no one else here matters now tell me what I want to hear on my thread because I said so and no one disagree with me or you will hear my wrath!!! I HAVE SPOKEN :o:rolleyes:. I WANT THIS PLANT... CAN YOU HEAR ME!!! NO RULE IS TOO BIG TO BREAK BECAUSE I WANT THIS PLANT! ANYONE ELSE HAVE AN OPINION???? (getting out my best Dwayne Johnson aka the Rock impression)... IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT ANYONE ELSE SAYS....I WANT THIS PLANT.

Do your parents know you are on the computer?

Do you understand about bringing in non-native species into our country.

Did you even read the previously posted rules from the government?

try this one.

http://www.nwf.org click on invasive species on the left side of the page.

This is a serious issue . Don't play with mother nature.

You live in Florida. Surely you have heard of the python. Non native. That is a menace to the state's.

http://www.myfwc.com click on non native species on the left side of the page.

Get someone to help you figure this out.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text

It's not just about taking plants from a US territory to a US state. There are regulations about transporting across state lines also. So just because it's US to US doesn't make it ok.

It's not just about whether it's "ethical" as if that's just something in print that you can choose if you want to follow or not. It's regulated, and sneaking them in is unlawful.

Third, who cares how much you love them. That doesn't entitle you to anything.

Didn't your horticultural degree teach you anything about this? Doesn't seem to have done you any good.

AG controls are in place to keep pests out of the local environment.

Florida is a huge AG state as is California. In the early 90's SoCal lived thru the Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The MedFly attacked fruit, primarily citrus. Vector Control couldn't get a handle on them. They decided to crop dust whole neighborhoods with Malathion. All outdoor animals had to be brought in. All outdoor furniture, cars etc had to be covered or brought in. Then washed the next day. After the third, fourth time I got very proficient in wrapping the kids' jungle gym. No air conditioning could be used, couldn't even ie the whole house fan. This took place in Southern California in the summer. The MedFly is still out there, its fly trap season. Now we're fighting the Asian Psylliad. The South is fighting Kudzu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not only is it not "ethical" it is illegal. As in you can be fined - up to $1,000. And they are not kidding around. That's from Customs on the US end - no telling what St John would fine you for taking plants from their National Park. I live in SW Florida and have seen night blooming cereus for sale in several good nurseries. I have one in my back yard and it's just like the ones we had in our yard when I lived in Nassau - and it was bought here in Florida. Don't be one of those special snowflakes that the rules don't apply to because "I want it". I'm sure your parents would be proud. Find a good nursery and buy one.

Not only is it not "ethical" it is illegal. As in you can be fined - up to $1,000. And they are not kidding around. That's from Customs on the US end - no telling what St John would fine you for taking plants from their National Park. I live in SW Florida and have seen night blooming cereus for sale in several good nurseries. I have one in my back yard and it's just like the ones we had in our yard when I lived in Nassau - and it was bought here in Florida. Don't be one of those special snowflakes that the rules don't apply to because "I want it". I'm sure your parents would be proud. Find a good nursery and buy one.

Wait a minute...on second thought, OP, yeah--go ahead. lol

Can you buy plants and flowers from different ports and bring them home with you? The reason I ask is because I got, well had as it just died, a night blooming cereus on a trip to South America 10 years ago. I heard St John has some incredible ones that naturally grow there as well. I know you have to hike a little to see them and it is time constraining to get there and back on time from a St Thomas stop, but I really would like another and I know St John has some of the best. I know there are all these laws and rules about animals and veggies from other countries that are too confusing to keep up with, so I came up with an idea and wondered if this would work?

Find a cruise where St Thomas is the last stop before going back to Miami. Remember, St Thomas is a U.S. Territory so this should be fine? Push and pull people out of the way as fast as we can when the boat docks. Take a taxi over to Red Hook as I do not want the longer boat ride from CA. Arrive on St John, get another taxi if need be, then do our 2 mile hike up a mountain (I know right where these rare plants are!), finally, grab a few of the suckers out of the ground and stick them in my backpack. Get back to our cabin as fast as we can and make a planter out of something creative like that little tin trash can. Put some water in, find something on board that would act like potting soil for a day (I was thinking some raw meat from Guy's burgers if they hand that out?), then set it on balcony in the sun for our final sea day. It is not like smuggling alcohol as I simply pulled a few of the plants from the wild, plus it is basically traveling from U.S. to U.S. with just one sea day in-between.

We are also locals to Florida so we could quickly get back to the east side of Homestead. This exotic and beautiful plant lives just fine in South Florida so it is not like I would not be taking good care of it. I was just wondering if since it was from the U.S. to the U.S. if I can bring live plants on? Also, and not to make this into an alcohol smuggling questions, but if I found a couple little ones and they were in my backpack would they even get detected in the scanner? I really want at least a 4 or 5 footer they are so beautiful, but I just do not know the laws of bringing them back on so if I have to hide a couple little ones so be it. They might not bloom often but the blooms are GORGEOUS!

Thanks! Serious replies only from those with knowledge on the subject!

It can be very boring waiting in the long Customs line so when we get to watch them rip into someone blatantly ignoring their big signs warning returning cruisers about the severe penalties for bringing in undeclared agricultural products and lying on the Customs declaration forms, well, it's just the best entertainment.

WOW! You win the trophy for rudest post of the day, congrats. :bottle-pop:

None of the answers were vague, they clearly pointed out the rules to you. They were about as detailed as could be.

Also I'm confused by your vagueness.

You want some high-quality special plant, but you are willing to smoosh it into your luggage?

Even if the scanners don't pick it up(though they will), won't you have nothing but a pile of dirt when you get home?

When Security busts you with a 5 ft plant, they will simply turn you and it over to port authority.

Glad to see you are as misinformed, or uninformed, about shipboard operations as you are about Customs, Immigration, and Agriculture laws.

Plants imported to the US have to be certified that they have are free of insects and parasites, and even the soil has to have been sterilized. All the live plants you see on the ship are certified in this manner, so they can enter each country on the itinerary. In addition, each state has laws about importing agricultural products even from other states, so you could run afoul of these as well.

As you say, this is from the USVI, so any removal of plants from a national park there would face prosecution under federal agriculture and Park Service regulations.

As for smuggling animals, that is one of the lowest of the low things to do, and yes, the Customs agents will take the animal from you, and they will destroy it. Better you should have left a non-US-indigenous species in its natural habitat than risk its destruction if you are so worried about its "soul".

And, if you did in fact dig up a 5 foot plant, and tried to bring it back onboard openly (no way to hide that), not only would the plant be taken, but the cruise line would be within its rights to kick you off the ship at that point.

And if you believe that the sewage from your "loud" toilets (I'm sorry, does this sound offend your delicate sensibilites, when uprooting plants and having them "possibly" live in their non-native environment doesn't?) goes overboard without treatment, you are sadly mistaken, and totally unaware of life at sea. Cruise ships have the most advanced waste water treatment systems on ships, and treat all the waste water to near drinking water clarity.

And, yes, of course they just hand out raw meat to passengers. Seriously?

So, all of your posts really come down to "I want it, the rules are stupid, so they don't apply to me". How entitled you must feel.

I wonder what "U" granted OP the horticulture degree. Perhaps a tuition refund could be obtained.

Anyone knowledgeable would be aware that digging up a couple of desired plants in the wild can very likely unknowingly include seeds or spores from other plants. So the question is not only about bringing in one type of plant. Why do customs/immigration questionaires ask about simply being on a farm - and not just bringing in plants.

If the reference to horticultural knowledge is true, OP must be a troll; if not - at least silly.

Most of St. John is a national park. There are serious penalties for digging up plants, especially rare ones.

Yep! That was mi first thought, too. Dashing up the hill to steal plants is a horrible thing to do! For shame!

I can understand the desire to want to find a quality plant, although I've had some from box stores grow quite well. But if it's quality you want, the simplest solution would be to go to your local nursery that handles landscaping orders and can order specialty plants. Everywhere I've lived has several of these, and because so many of them have large orders, they can usually tack on an order for one or two plants at no extra charge, so you can get your plants in a week or less from specialist growers.