QM2 Lost (Stolen?) Bag

Leralie

I hope the OP posts again if only to let us know the outcome of her contact with Brooklyn.

It's always a bit deflating not to know the outcome of these sort of "sagas" even if they don't always end well.

David.

We departed a Cunard ship in LA a few years ago, and we had quite a number of suitcases. Six if I recall. However, on inspection one was missing . We had a mad search around the huge departure hall and eventually all security staff and ground staff were looking for the case.

Nothing was found and it appeared there as no other case left behind. I was getting very worried, when eventually a guy went outside to look around.

Out side the departure hall it was very busy as it is where all the buses and taxis were.

The security guy was gone a while but he returned with our case. It had been dumped on the sidewalk somewhere outside. It had not been tampered with.

The ground staff were delighted it turned up as one lady told me if a bag goes missing it is a nightmare for them with paperwork alone, and all the security checks. Plus as she said it was a big change over day and no time for all the extra work involved.

So they all were very happy that the case was found.

They thought maybe some one took by mistake but could not be bothered bringing it back inside the terminal . I was more than happy as you can imagine.

What made me think afterwards was why would anyone not return the case once they realised they had taken the wrong one?

Since that happened we bought new cases that are very easy to spot.

Not plain black ones like we had. Too many people have plain black and even with a coloured piece of ribbon on the handle as many people do this, they can easily be mistaken as yours.

I also have bright dayglow orange name tags so again easy to spot.

So now we have shiny coloured ones. No boring black.:)

A different perspective to cases..... we went into our cabin on QE, unpacked and went to put away the case under the bed. It wouldn't go right under, so I got down to investigate - and found a suitcase already there with a luggage label on it from the previous cruise! Looked inside it and found some empty shopping carrier bags with some Sale labels and nothing else. It was quite a nice case.

We handed it over to the steward, who was quite nonplussed. Often wonder what happened to that and why it was there!

Edited by Scriv

A different perspective to cases..... we went into our cabin on QE, unpacked and went to put away the case under the bed. It wouldn't go right under, so I got down to investigate - and found a suitcase already there with a luggage label on it from the previous cruise! Looked inside it and found some empty shopping carrier bags with some Sale labels and nothing else. It was quite a nice case.

We handed it over to the steward, who was quite nonplussed. Often wonder what happened to that and why it was there!

Perhaps they saw a nicer suitcase in one of their ports and couldn't resist it?

Perhaps they saw a nicer suitcase in one of their ports and couldn't resist it?

I think so also. We had the exact same thing happen. Which means that they don't do a great job vacuuming under the bed.

Edited by brigittetom

I think so also. We had the exact same thing happen. Which means that they don't do a great job vacuuming under the bed.

Wow. So they zero out the ship, but unclaimed suitcases have remained under the bed in the cabins? Oh yeah, great security. Would I open a suitcase found under my bed - ABSOLUTELY NOT; wouldn't touch it. I'd call the Purser Desk.

I hope the OP posts again if only to let us know the outcome of her contact with Brooklyn.

It's always a bit deflating not to know the outcome of these sort of "sagas" even if they don't always end well.

David.

Hi everyone. Sorry not to have updated you. To be honest, the loss of some of the items in my bag has me incredibly distressed and I have been avoiding the subject altogether.

My bag has not been found. The CCTV footage was reviewed and they never saw my bag on the footage (apparently). The other passengers were eventually contacted and their bags were returned to them. They were not questioned about my bag and Cunard refuses to do so, DESPITE having told me on multiple occasions that they believe these people took my bag. The reason for this is that, legally speaking, they are only allowed to contact customers twice about lost property. Given that they emailed these customers twice (but never made positive contact or received a response), they consider the matter closed.

Cunard's guest relations representative got in touch with me (at my request, having emailed the Cunard president) to let me know that they feel really good about themselves for having done such a thorough job of looking for my bag. He refused to apologise for having lost it, because of course they claim no responsibility. He refused to hear my complaint that the Holland America Group lost property team have been rude and unhelpful. When I explained that I had asked to speak with a supervisor in early November and that she NEVER contacted me back, he suggested that she had done the right thing because she couldn't have helped me anyway.

I do not believe my bag is going to be returned to me.

I also can no longer recommend Cunard or any of the Holland America Group, as their attitude to this ordeal has been dismissive at best.

That's the update. I will, of course, update this forum if something changes but I can't imagine that it will.

Leralie - I am so sorry that there has not (as of now) been a happy ending to this ordeal. It is getting to the point that one must travel only with carry-ons if one expects to come home with all the possessions with which they started their trip. But, who knows, you may get a phone call in the distant future and learn that your lost luggage is coming home! Stranger things have happened.

On another note, you mentioned that you traveled with your dog and cat. Since I am also the staff to an imperious feline, I would be curious to know how well transporting animals by ship works out.

Virginia

Hi everyone. Sorry not to have updated you. To be honest, the loss of some of the items in my bag has me incredibly distressed and I have been avoiding the subject altogether.

My bag has not been found. The CCTV footage was reviewed and they never saw my bag on the footage (apparently). The other passengers were eventually contacted and their bags were returned to them. They were not questioned about my bag and Cunard refuses to do so, DESPITE having told me on multiple occasions that they believe these people took my bag. The reason for this is that, legally speaking, they are only allowed to contact customers twice about lost property. Given that they emailed these customers twice (but never made positive contact or received a response), they consider the matter closed.

Cunard's guest relations representative got in touch with me (at my request, having emailed the Cunard president) to let me know that they feel really good about themselves for having done such a thorough job of looking for my bag. He refused to apologise for having lost it, because of course they claim no responsibility. He refused to hear my complaint that the Holland America Group lost property team have been rude and unhelpful. When I explained that I had asked to speak with a supervisor in early November and that she NEVER contacted me back, he suggested that she had done the right thing because she couldn't have helped me anyway.

I do not believe my bag is going to be returned to me.

I also can no longer recommend Cunard or any of the Holland America Group, as their attitude to this ordeal has been dismissive at best.

That's the update. I will, of course, update this forum if something changes but I can't imagine that it will.

Thank you for the update, Leralie. I understand your distress from the lost of personal items. I would feel the same way. I would also be upset because the realities of customer service are so unsatisfactory. Your bag didn't not fall off the face of the earth and logical suggests what happened to it. It is an aberration from the experience most people have while sailing on large ships---but it happened to YOU, so (of course) it has been devastating and disappointing. Shame on whoever has your bag in his/her/their possession. I hope you have a string of exceptionally good luck in your life to balance this.

Thank you for the update, Leralie. I understand your distress from the lost of personal items. I would feel the same way. I would also be upset because the realities of customer service are so unsatisfactory. Your bag didn't not fall off the face of the earth and logical suggests what happened to it. It is an aberration from the experience most people have while sailing on large ships---but it happened to YOU, so (of course) it has been devastating and disappointing. Shame on whoever has your bag in his/her/their possession. I hope you have a string of exceptionally good luck in your life to balance this.

Thank you, Jimmybean. I appreciate your kindness.

Leralie - I am so sorry that there has not (as of now) been a happy ending to this ordeal. It is getting to the point that one must travel only with carry-ons if one expects to come home with all the possessions with which they started their trip. But, who knows, you may get a phone call in the distant future and learn that your lost luggage is coming home! Stranger things have happened.

On another note, you mentioned that you traveled with your dog and cat. Since I am also the staff to an imperious feline, I would be curious to know how well transporting animals by ship works out.

Virginia

Tampa Girl, I would not at this stage recommend travelling with Cunard for any reason.

However, before this upsetting experience I had been prepared to sing the QM2 kennel program's praises. The kennels were clean, the animals were well looked-after, the kennel master was pleasant and adored the animals. Our cat (and dog) did really well and neither was particularly bothered by the experience. That said, one cat on board did not do well and went on hunger strike until he was moved to the owners' cabin (which was done only so that cat would survive and is not done as a matter of course).

Regardless of how I feel about Cunard, the kennel program is excellent. I would NOT take a pet on the QM2 for a holiday (it's a pain to get a pet into the UK in the first place and I definitely do not think that animals particularly enjoy the shipboard experience) but it is a good solution if you are moving overseas and don't want to fly your pet.

That said, we will be moving back to the UK in a few years and we will be flying. I won't deal with Cunard again in the future.

Tampa Girl, I would not at this stage recommend travelling with Cunard for any reason.

However, before this upsetting experience I had been prepared to sing the QM2 kennel program's praises. The kennels were clean, the animals were well looked-after, the kennel master was pleasant and adored the animals. Our cat (and dog) did really well and neither was particularly bothered by the experience. That said, one cat on board did not do well and went on hunger strike until he was moved to the owners' cabin (which was done only so that cat would survive and is not done as a matter of course).

Thank you for responding. That is what I feared from a cat. They really do not like change, and our cat is an only child so she has no playmates to provide comfort.

So sorry your possessions have not been returned to you and the situation aggravated by inadequate communication and assistance from those responsible for your bag's safekeeping. Infuriating and upsetting no doubt. The post re the Lugloc above is interesting. Maybe electronic tracking on a large scale (i.e. by the ship or aircraft load) could be possible in this age of technological wizardry - and security concerns. I know this sounds trite, but at least your family and pets arrived safely: 'things' were lost (special as they were), not loved ones.

Leralie, I am really sorry to hear that you are still without your bags. I'm equally sorry to hear that Cunard was so bureaucratic in their handling of the matter. I'm actually pretty disgusted that they considered 2 emails without confirmation of response a sufficient attempt to reach out to the people who left their own bags behind at the terminal.

I don't blame you for feeling betrayed, and thoroughly let down. Good luck to you in your future travels.

Terrible thing that your baggage was not found and returned to you.

Perhaps, if anything good is to come of this is that we are all more aware of the conditions of the passage contract, such as this: "You may take a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing only Your personal effects, which shall include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and other personal effects necessary for the Voyage" (emphasis mine).

If inclined to assign blame and share feelings of betrayal, consider culpability. Having said that, someone has the OP's luggage (a dirty rotten thief), or maybe it's in Davy Jones Locker.

Either way, I'm sorry for the OP's trauma. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Perhaps, if anything good is to come of this is that we are all more aware of the conditions of the passage contract, such as this: "You may take a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing only Your personal effects, which shall include suitcases, trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers containing clothing, toiletries and other personal effects necessary for the Voyage" (emphasis mine).

-S.

TAs have been used right from the start for people moving from one country to another. The OP even took her dog and cats, so the clause would mean that crossings are not advised when they involve more luggage than necessary.

I am sure the OP will bear in mind your learning points in future.

David.

TAs have been used right from the start for people moving from one country to another. The OP even took her dog and cats, so the clause would mean that crossings are not advised when they involve more luggage than necessary.

I am sure the OP will bear in mind your learning points in future.

David.

David, it's interesting that you selected only that part of my post. At any rate, the OP has already stated quite plainly that she has no intention of dealing with Cunard again and would not recommend Cunard to anyone - so no worries about the future there.

For others it might be beneficial to read the Passage Contract prior to booking because if the terms are not acceptable, as we have seen in this case, it does no good to complain after the fact. But for some, the benefit outweighs the risk. That's as plainly as I can put it, but feel free to parse that quote as well. Cheers, -S.

I hear you Leralie, and I feel for your loss. Unacceptable. I could also tell the tale of a bunch of luggage that ended up in the water while being off-loaded from the QM2 in Southampton. One acquaintance lost the stuff she needed for her European holiday and was absolutely hysterical. Big mistakes happen, and it's not White Star Service.

I hear you Leralie, and I feel for your loss. Unacceptable. I could also tell the tale of a bunch of luggage that ended up in the water while being off-loaded from the QM2 in Southampton. One acquaintance lost the stuff she needed for her European holiday and was absolutely hysterical. Big mistakes happen, and it's not White Star Service.

Oh dear! That sounds like a terrible experience for your acquaintance! Did they ever fish the bags out of the deep? Thanks for sharing that story.

Mistakes do happen. The mark of a good company is how they deal with those mistakes. Cunard has not dealt with their mistake well, but they have given me a clear message about how little they value their customers. It's a shame. If only I could share with you all a transcript of my conversation with their customer relations representative...it would be funny if it weren't so obtuse!

Quite honestly, I never heard the end of the story. These were people we met on board, among a somewhat large group of us who met for cocktails each evening. They disembarked in Southampton for a land-based adventure, maybe without luggage, and we continued on the QM2 for a Med adventure, with a return crossing to NYC. We had a great time and were happy, but were quite shocked at the luggage dumped in the deep. And several passengers were affected. Again so sorry for your experience. I hope you are adjusting to life in Montana.

Mistakes do happen. The mark of a good company is how they deal with those mistakes. Cunard has not dealt with their mistake well, but they have given me a clear message about how little they value their customers. It's a shame. If only I could share with you all a transcript of my conversation with their customer relations representative...it would be funny if it weren't so obtuse!

Hi Leralie. Sorry to read about your problem.

Why don't you share the transcript of your conversation with the CEO of Cunard and or Carnival. I think I would if I thought I had been treated so badly.

Good luck.