Dress code.... Again, sorry

picklefactory

Never. Though I have no real way of knowing that, of course! Not that I'd be bothered either way. I take the line that it's the person wearing the clothes that counts - not the clothes. We Freedom Dine, meet different people every day, and it's never been an issue. I feel comfortable in a suit, I feel uncomfortable in a DJ (though I do have one) so it's a matter of feeling comfortable - and that includes the theatre after the meal.

I suppose it's a matter of personal confidence. Some people might feel their persona to be 'enhanced' by wearing a DJ, but I don't. P&O isn't exactly an 'upmarket' cruise operator, is it - I don't think anyone need bother about dressing up as a penguin for their benefit.

And my view on this is very clear. This is all about P&O - not their customers. It's simply P&O trying to create an illusion that the glory (and much more expensive) days of cruising are still with us. They want to cut their costs but keep their prices as high as they can get away with, and this is simply a means to an end. :)

It's interesting, I completely agree that black tie is a legacy of times gone by, and it does seem an out of place etiquette in a dining environment where there is no silver service, the service is rather rushed and in my opinion the quality has declined - hence to some the the basis of what formal nights are in practice, in comparison with their origins, does seem to feel like a redundant throwback and regular suits would seem more appropriate given the evolution of standards.

I do think other passengers can at times be judgemental about those who choose not to conform fully with the 'norm' and seem to perceive and associate this with a low social status, yet in my experience the opposite is true. I think the depth and breadth of life experience enables those who choose to wear different (but entirely suitable attire) to dismiss any such criticism.

P&O do create an illusion but I don't think their motive is necessarily to create the impression about standards or perception around quality (I say this because this type of product offering could also be undesirable to future target customer base, so it's a delicate balancing act). I think the current market still demands full formal attire just because the majority still enjoy dressing up and feeing a part of 'something special' immersing themselves in the atmosphere generated by the dress code. I think the next five years will see many more people choosing to wear suits as they wont want the additional expense and discomfort, resulting in this option becoming a more widely adopted alternative.

Hmm...I didn't mean to start, what seems to be, a rather contentious issue. I was hoping to find out what I have found out, that I'm not the only person who feels that a full uniform is not something everybody enjoys wearing and shouldn't be penalised for that, or indeed, forced into wearing something they aren't comfortable in.

I have absolutely no objection or negative views towards anybody who does enjoy that, good luck to them and enjoy. I'm not one who does, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmm...I didn't mean to start, what seems to be, a rather contentious issue. I was hoping to find out what I have found out, that I'm not the only person who feels that a full uniform is not something everybody enjoys wearing and shouldn't be penalised for that, or indeed, forced into wearing something they aren't comfortable in.

I have absolutely no objection or negative views towards anybody who does enjoy that, good luck to them and enjoy. I'm not one who does, however.

I think it's interesting and like you would never criticise anyone's choice. I really enjoy examining the effects of change and cultural transitions and the cruise industry is really interesting to study!

I don't think you have started a contentious issue really picklefactory.

I am one of the cruisers who likes dressing up, and love the formal nights as does my OH, but as the years have gone by, the dressing "up" has changed for us - as have my views. I no longer wear what I would term "gowns' - but just nice long dresses (I personally never wear short, but that is simply because no-one wants to see my legs and knees - believe me!:D). OH still wears his tux or sometimes a suit - but lightens it up with coloured bow ties...that used to be a bit of a no-no! I think the important thing is that on formal nights people do respect that it is a more formal occasion and make an effort to look smart if they want to eat in the MDR (or wherever else formal attire is the order of the night). If they don't , that is fine, there are plenty of other nice places to eat. I have seen some men in some really fabulous, nicely cut suits - of varying shades of dark/lightness - and many of them look better than others in a Tux! And don't ask me how he did it, but one of the friends we cruised on Azura with last year, wore dark (designer) denims, an amazing (designer) Black jacket (not a tux!), white shirt and bow tie along with a pair of Vans on formal night. He looked really great (probably helped that he still has a very trim figure at 70) but no-one seemed to either notice or bat an eyelid! I didn't approve, of course.....:D:D:D

Go ahead and wear a lighter coloured suit...you will be fine. And if others don't like it....well...that is their problem.

Edited by Mysticalmother

To cap it all they have now formalised the glass house bar, yes BAR, that was the original concept, a bar that served food in a casual setting. now it appears it is a restaurant and you have to wear a penguin suit on formal night. which genius came up with that one!. Lets make it formal and reduce the food sales - doh!

Oh no...they haven't really have they? The Glass house was the best bar on Azura, but the seating arrangements are no way conducive to wearing formal dress..

Edited by Mysticalmother

I enjoy the formal nights as long as there aren't too many. Sometimes I wear long and sometimes a short cocktail dress. My OH enjoys them too and he looks gorgeous in his white dinner jacket and smart black trousers. Personally I don't mind what other people wear at all.

Oh no...they haven't really have they? The Glass house was the best bar on Azura, but the seating arrangements are no way conducive to wearing formal dress..

I think the Glass House was the best bar on Ventura but noticed the P&O website lists it as formal on formal nights, as it does for Azura. I simply can't understand the logic of this, it won't increase their revenue and will alienate customers. IMO it is the only decent bar on Ventura and I have already paid the deposit for a cruise on her. P&O seem to be going out of their way to get rid of my custom, however they must realise that other cruise lines would be glad to take my pennies. :rolleyes:

I think the Glass House was the best bar on Ventura but noticed the P&O website lists it as formal on formal nights, as it does for Azura. I simply can't understand the logic of this, it won't increase their revenue and will alienate customers. IMO it is the only decent bar on Ventura and I have already paid the deposit for a cruise on her. P&O seem to be going out of their way to get rid of my custom, however they must realise that other cruise lines would be glad to take my pennies. :rolleyes:

So they have done this just to upset you Dave? Metz Dave. :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, I can confirm it is out bounds if not in formal attire on black tie evenings.

Agree about the Glass House as we enjoy wine.

With regard to dress code I did write to P&O upon our return from Azura and mentioned the Black Tie event and promised everyone the reply.

I wrote:

4. Black tie event

Why is the dress code for this event so strict on a 2 night sailing? Why were there people allowed in the Planet Bar in jeans later in the evening if this code is so strict? Why were people allowed in the dining room not in black tie, but just given a jacket to carry, and told they didn't have to wear it, just carry it? This behaviour is totally unfair to those of us who adhered to the code.

This is the reply I received today:

You also refer to the dress code not being adhered to on board and I am sorry that you found this to be disappointing on the formal night. We endeavour to persuade people to adhere to certain minimum standards of decency and formality. You will appreciate that the circumstances of a restaurant in a ship are somewhat different from those ashore. A hotel resident refused admission can always find a meal elsewhere but in the case of a passenger there is no such alternative. The balance between persuasion and coercion is a delicate one but we do ask Head Waiters to endeavour to discourage people, in a tactful manner, from entering the restaurant for dinner inappropriately dressed. I regret the disappointment that you have described.

Now there are a couple of inaccuracies in the reply above. There is an alternative if you do not wish to dress according to the code, it's called the buffet, so it's not hard to find as listed in the FAQ's on the P&O website. If the code is so strict then the Head Waiter should refuse entry to the restaurant as per the advice on the P&O website and direct the guest to the buffet.

My question of access to the Planet Bar later in the evening when not wearing formal attire was not answered.

Basically, from my experience, wear what you want, they won't stop you, they may try to, but they'll give you a jacket to carry, not wear, just carry into the formal dining room, and you won't be denied access nor told to go to the buffet.

I think the vast majority on my cruises have complied and worn something appropriate to the venue [emoji4]

Quite clearly this is the case, must be over 98% follow the dress code.

I was surprised about the glass house as well I still thought it was informal sorry casual every night.

Never. Though I have no real way of knowing that, of course! Not that I'd be bothered either way. I take the line that it's the person wearing the clothes that counts - not the clothes. We Freedom Dine, meet different people every day, and it's never been an issue. I feel comfortable in a suit, I feel uncomfortable in a DJ (though I do have one) so it's a matter of feeling comfortable - and that includes the theatre after the meal.

I suppose it's a matter of personal confidence. Some people might feel their persona to be 'enhanced' by wearing a DJ, but I don't. P&O isn't exactly an 'upmarket' cruise operator, is it - I don't think anyone need bother about dressing up as a penguin for their benefit.

And my view on this is very clear. This is all about P&O - not their customers. It's simply P&O trying to create an illusion that the glory (and much more expensive) days of cruising are still with us. They want to cut their costs but keep their prices as high as they can get away with, and this is simply a means to an end. :)

Totally agree its the person that matters not the clothes they wear. If you are comfortable with what you are wearing then you are more relaxed and enjoy the evening.

Quite clearly this is the case, must be over 98% follow the dress code.

I was surprised about the glass house as well I still thought it was informal sorry casual every night.

The glass house change must be recent, I also thought that it was casual every night because it wad a possible alternative dining place for those who don't want to dress formally.

My OH and I always do the formal dress code but for us the problem with people not following the dress code is not those who prefer smart casual but it is the odd one who wears a football shirt, shorts and trainers on formal night and is allowed into the MDR because he is obnoxious to the door staff who don't want any trouble from him, this happened on Ventura in 2015. I would rather have a MDR full of people in smart casual than one of these people.

The glass house change must be recent, I also thought that it was casual every night because it wad a possible alternative dining place for those who don't want to dress formally.

My OH and I always do the formal dress code but for us the problem with people not following the dress code is not those who prefer smart casual but it is the odd one who wears a football shirt, shorts and trainers on formal night and is allowed into the MDR because he is obnoxious to the door staff who don't want any trouble from him, this happened on Ventura in 2015. I would rather have a MDR full of people in smart casual than one of these people.

the change of the glass house to a formal restaurant happened on the P&O site a few weeks ago. The bar is now classed as a restaurant so maybe from now on you won't be able to go in there just for a drink but will be forced to order food :eek:

This either a covert attempt at increasing the formality on P&O ships for no good reason or maybe just a typical error which they are prone to. After all they write that Oceana has a Crows Nest :rolleyes:

We know P&O monitor this forum so come on P&O, give us a response setting out why you have decided on this retrograde move.

This either a covert attempt at increasing the formality on P&O ships for no good reason or maybe just a typical error which they are prone to. After all they write that Oceana has a Crows Nest.

Hahaha

We were on Azura a few weeks ago and I heard no plans of turning it into a Restaurant only..... It was still very much a (lovely) bar as well at the end of May.

Edited by Scriv

Just got back home yesterday, after Baltic cruise on Azura. On the first formal night. On a table of 8, I was the only man on the table wearing a tux. One guy made the effort with dark suit and tie. The other two made no effort at all. Not even a suit, light sports jackets coloured shirts and ties. Another formal night a guy was sat at the bar in glass house in jeans and crew neck T-shirt. The stories I have heard about managers refusing entry is a nonesense. You can wear what you want. It is true that over 90% adhere to dress code, but it is not enforced

Anyway another fantastic cruise, can't wait for next

Just got back home yesterday, after Baltic cruise on Azura. On the first formal night. On a table of 8, I was the only man on the table wearing a tux. One guy made the effort with dark suit and tie. The other two made no effort at all. Not even a suit, light sports jackets coloured shirts and ties. Another formal night a guy was sat at the bar in glass house in jeans and crew neck T-shirt. The stories I have heard about managers refusing entry is a nonesense. You can wear what you want. It is true that over 90% adhere to dress code, but it is not enforced

Anyway another fantastic cruise, can't wait for next

As with other P&O policies (eg no reservation of sunbeds) if they don't enforce them, there is little point in having them.