Prettiest Beach in St Maarten

LuCruise

What's the prettiest beach in St Maarten/St Martin in terms of blue water and soft sand? Also, can you let me know the corresponding water roughness/smooth?

I think Baie Rouge has the softest sand, but I would only go there if I had a car - tough to get a taxi back - the water is pretty much the same all around the island.

Many beaches can be rough - depending on prevailing winds. The only virtually guaranteed calm beach is Le Gallion.

I think Baie Rouge has the softest sand, but I would only go there if I had a car - tough to get a taxi back - the water is pretty much the same all around the island.

Many beaches can be rough - depending on prevailing winds. The only virtually guaranteed calm beach is Le Gallion.

So prettiest that is easily accessible from the port via taxi ;)

Although we are coming with kids (10.5 and 6.5 years). I'm almost not interested in Le Gallion as I'd rather a beach experience than a pool experience. To me, the waves are fun (but not too rough that they would push my younger one over or be unsafe for swimming)

So prettiest that is easily accessible from the port via taxi ;)

Although we are coming with kids (10.5 and 6.5 years). I'm almost not interested in Le Gallion as I'd rather a beach experience than a pool experience. To me, the waves are fun (but not too rough that they would push my younger one over or be unsafe for swimming)

I would say these days Happy Bay, Pinel Island and one that is not for sharing.

For what you are looking for Mullet Bay which is a favorite of mine. Easily reached by taxi from the port and lovely soft sand and some waves.

If you want waves what about Dawn beach or Orient?

Added:

You didn't ask for an amazing view or Palm trees so I think that Simpson Bay may be your beach. Lovely sand and almost always some waves. Karakter or Mary's Boon would be good beach bars for you there.

Edited by Karysa

Would also agree with Happy Bay Beach being the prettiest. It is also one of the most remote and about as far from the port as you can get. Getting to Happy Bay usually involves a 15-20 minute hike from Friars Beach. As we just said in another post, this is not a beach we normally recommend for cruisers.

Hank

Thanks. I think Happy Beach is out then. I like the name though. 😉

And prefer not an island where we need additional transportation.

Small waves are good so it's a little more than a pool.

Does Mullet Bay have facilities and so somewhere to grab lunch?

What about Simpson Bay.

Would also agree with Happy Bay Beach being the prettiest. It is also one of the most remote and about as far from the port as you can get. Getting to Happy Bay usually involves a 15-20 minute hike from Friars Beach. As we just said in another post, this is not a beach we normally recommend for cruisers.

Hank

I actually know of a couple who bussed to Grand Case and walked to Happy Bay and then back to Friars and got a taxi to come and get them. We saw them later that night and they were so happy to tell us about their adventure and even showed us a fun photo that almost showed what they were wearing at Happy Bay. ;)They looked like the home coming king and queen and were so nice and friendly. We told them that we would have never tried that on a cruise!:eek::D

I bet some cruisers taxi to Friars and walk to Happy and back to Friars and taxi back. Long Bay and Plum bay no way with out a car but for someone who is fit and wants an adventure I don't think that Friars/Happy is a slam dunk no but I wouldn't recommend it for a cruiser myself unless they rented a car. That's not because I don't think that it's doable it's because I would feel horrible if they got stranded.:eek:

Thanks. I think Happy Beach is out then. I like the name though. 😉

And prefer not an island where we need additional transportation.

Small waves are good so it's a little more than a pool.

Does Mullet Bay have facilities and so somewhere to grab lunch?

What about Simpson Bay.

Oh it's named right. It's an unofficial nude beach.;):D

Mullet has a Porto potty and food and chairs ect.

Simpson Bay is long so go to a beach bar/restaurant and yes they have facilities.

Oh it's named right. It's an unofficial nude beach.;):D

Mullet has a Porto potty and food and chairs ect.

Simpson Bay is long so go to a beach bar/restaurant and yes they have facilities.

Hmm...just a porto potty? Not sure I like that.

Funny, I have a bunch of beaches notes in my notes for St Maarten, but for some reason I don't have Simpson Bay listed.

Funny, I have a bunch of beaches notes in my notes for St Maarten, but for some reason I don't have Simpson Bay listed.

Search it on the top of this page or search Karakter beach because people refer to it as that. The loungers are free if you purchase food or drinks. You can check their website karakterstmaarten.com/ and they are reviewed on Trip Advisor as well.

Edited by Karysa

Search it on the top of this page or search Karakter beach because people refer to it as that. The loungers are free if you purchase food or drinks. You can check their website http://www.karakterstmaarten.com/ and they are reviewed on Trip Advisor as well.

Edited by Karysa

Search it on the top of this page or search Karakter beach because people refer to it as that. The loungers are free if you purchase food or drinks. You can check their website www.karakterstmaarten.com/ and they are reviewed on Trip Advisor as well.

Thanks. The beach pictures do look lovely.

Someone has written a lovely summary of all the beaches in a thread on the St Thomas board (pros, cons, amendities, etc). Is there such a thread over here? I do have a small book at home, but it's good to hear personally from cruisers.

Thanks. The beach pictures do look lovely.

Someone has written a lovely summary of all the beaches in a thread on the St Thomas board (pros, cons, amendities, etc). Is there such a thread over here? I do have a small book at home, but it's good to hear personally from cruisers.

You would have to do a search to find out that.:)

Beach conditions change so much. Maho is a great example. If you read a review from this past May from a cruiser that visited on a picture perfect day or one from August their day and description of the beach would be night and day from each other. I chose Maho in May and August because I was there and saw the decent sized lovely beach in May and the rocky basically void of sand Maho beach in August.

Dawn beach is another example. In the winter months it is often calm and in the summer if there is a storm in the Atlantic nearby it can be too rough for many to venture in to.

Sometimes Baie Rouge is picture perfect and at other times it is difficult to find your way in past the large rocks at the shoreline.

I have more examples but I think you get the drift.

If you want a perdictable beach then LeGalion would be my choice as it has been calm and shallow and a beautiful shade of blue on every single one of my visits.

Edited by Karysa

I actually know of a couple who bussed to Grand Case and walked to Happy Bay and then back to Friars and got a taxi to come and get them. We saw them later that night and they were so happy to tell us about their adventure and even showed us a fun photo that almost showed what they were wearing at Happy Bay. ;)They looked like the home coming king and queen and were so nice and friendly. We told them that we would have never tried that on a cruise!:eek::D

I bet some cruisers taxi to Friars and walk to Happy and back to Friars and taxi back. Long Bay and Plum bay no way with out a car but for someone who is fit and wants an adventure I don't think that Friars/Happy is a slam dunk no but I wouldn't recommend it for a cruiser myself unless they rented a car. That's not because I don't think that it's doable it's because I would feel horrible if they got stranded.:eek:

We never looked for the trail or path to get to Happy Bay Beach from Grand Case. We would simply drive to Friars and leave our car in the parking area and then hike over to the beach. But our Condo owner had a book where he wrote some general info...and he mentioned there is an off road route for hikers. If we ever go back and again rent in Grand Case...we might get ambitious and try to find that hiking route. It seemed like whenever we did go to Happy Bay there were a couple of nudists who liked to "strut their stuff." We saw more then 1 person frightened off :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We never looked for the trail or path to get to Happy Bay Beach from Grand Case. We would simply drive to Friars and leave our car in the parking area and then hike over to the beach. But our Condo owner had a book where he wrote some general info...and he mentioned there is an off road route for hikers. If we ever go back and again rent in Grand Case...we might get ambitious and try to find that hiking route. It seemed like whenever we did go to Happy Bay there were a couple of nudists who liked to "strut their stuff." We saw more then 1 person frightened off :).

Hank

:) there definitely should be a hiker beware sign lol at the beginning of any hike that leads to Happy Bay.:eek::D

Mullet is our favorite beach and the only one we go to. There is a food stand "Rosies" that has the best bbq ribs! We just walk down the main street and there are cabs - we have taken the local bus back to Phillipsburg for like $2 or so each.

Mullet is our favorite beach and the only one we go to. There is a food stand "Rosies" that has the best bbq ribs! We just walk down the main street and there are cabs - we have taken the local bus back to Phillipsburg for like $2 or so each.

To confirm from the post above...are there any real washrooms at Mullet? Or just the portably smelly things?

And is it kid friendly?

Edited by LuCruise

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great time at Mullet. It's a very pretty beach. You can rent chairs/umbrellas and there's a food stand there with reasonable prices. The port-o-potty is there at the parking lot/beach entrance and when we were there, believe it or not, it didn't smell and was clean. Either we got lucky or someone cleaned it before we were there that day. :p I have a full review of Mullet in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures. ;)

We had a great time at Mullet. It's a very pretty beach. You can rent chairs/umbrellas and there's a food stand there with reasonable prices. The port-o-potty is there at the parking lot/beach entrance and when we were there, believe it or not, it didn't smell and was clean. Either we got lucky or someone cleaned it before we were there that day. :p I have a full review of Mullet in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures. ;)

Thank you. Mullet does look quite beautiful. It seems the more I look at options, the more confused I get. From my notes (that I've taken from posts on here), the only negative with Mullet is just having a port-o-potty...but at least it has something. And good to hear it was clean when you went. Are there any non motorized water rentals? (Not even sure if we'd use it or not) It does look kid friendly with beautiful water and sand. Also, from your post you can walk to Maho from Mullet? That is a nice bonus.

Basically I was down to either going with Bernard's Tour (depending if we want an organized day vs just a relaxing day on our own) or Little Bay Beach. Little Bay seems to have chair rentals, water sport rentals, restaurant and bathroom, and I like that it's close to port. The downside with it that I've noted is that it's sand may not be as pretty/soft as other beaches.

So...now I'll add Mullet back to the list. If anyone has thoughts of these three, please let me know.

PS - Thanks so much for posting links to all your places. It was actually your link to Blue Lagoon that had me book the excursion. It's only 4hrs but it looks so wonderful and the other options in Nassau aren't that great.

Edited by LuCruise

Here's another interact map where you can click on a beach and it will take you to a page that will give you additional information and pictures. I'm not sure who runs the page and how up to date it is, but it may help some.

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Beaches/stmaarten_Beaches.html

THanks for the links.

By the way....after these posts I went back to my "St Maarten in 8 hrs" book and read about Mullet. It said that Mullet can have strong waves and to be careful of the undertow. So it doesn't seem like Mullet would be for us as my younger one doesn't really swim yet (although we have a life vest for her). Having said that, it certainly doesn't look rough in your pictures.

THanks for the links.

By the way....after these posts I went back to my "St Maarten in 8 hrs" book and read about Mullet. It said that Mullet can have strong waves and to be careful of the undertow. So it doesn't seem like Mullet would be for us as my younger one doesn't really swim yet (although we have a life vest for her). Having said that, it certainly doesn't look rough in your pictures.

Mullet Bay usually does not have strong waves - and when it is fairly calm, the undertow will not be a problem. It is really a function of the regional prevailing winds - Mullet faces southwest, Orient largely north and Dawn faces east , so where one may be rough, others will be calmer. It is too bad that there is no reliable source to give you an idea of current wind/surf conditions.