Summary - Sojourn Hong Kong - Dubai

clarky

We really enjoyed our cruise. We had previously sailed Singapore to Dubai a couple of years ago but with the added port of Colombo in Sri Lanka we thought we would repeat this portion of the Hong Kong - Dubai cruise. We enjoyed the ports in the Philippines but the highlights for us were Mumbai and Muscat. Even though we had visited Mumbai with seabourn before there was still so much to see in this fascinating port. We booked a private tour with Mumbai magic who we used on our last visit and again were not disappointed. Having visited Muscat before and doing a full day tour we decided to do the Seabourn tour: Dolphin and snorkeling. What a fantastic tour. We saw lots of dolphin and the snorkeling was just magic. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Muscat.

Sojourn: As mentioned we really enjoyed our cruise. The staff as always are really fantastic. David E (CD) and his staff did an excellent job. The BBQ on deck event has been replaced by an Epicurean Tasting on the deck. There is no Galley Lunch anymore. Not that I really missed either to be honest.

Thomas Keller: Our experience of TK started with my husband ordering all three courses from the MD Thomas Keller insert menu. He fell in love and could not praise the food highly enough. Unfortunately this was not to continue. It became hit and miss from then on. One night I ordered the lobster which mentioned a red wine reduction. The lobster was fantastic more like crayfish and so moist and sweet. However the reduction was just awful, it tasted more like soy sauce than red wine and the lobster was swimming in it It over-powered the lobster completely . I did not hear one guest who had enjoyed that offering. Often we would go into the dinning room and some of the TK offerings were not available. At this point we were not disappointed to not have his menu on offer. To give him credit his desserts were amazing and I was never disappointed with them. The chef we had on the Sojourn was not exceptional in fact he was one of my least favourite of our over 200 days on Seabourn. Food often arrived at the table barley warm and for the first time my husband sent dishes back. This happened at many tables not just ours. We rarely saw the chef walking around to speak with guests as we have on previous cruises. We had some great meals, especially in the colonnade but the consistency of good food was just not there on this cruise. TK in the colonnade was a huge disappointment for us. More than 70% of the guests on board were not American so his offerings in the colonnade did not evoke any childhood memories for us (which I believe was the theme of this menu). This would not have been a problem had the food been amazing, unfortunately it was not. Having no side plates and having to pass around huge shared serving dishes was awkward. The food was similar to food I would serve my family for a casual get together not what I expect of Seabourrn. Seabourn are committed to TK and I understand they want to offer a more modern fresh menu so I hope they get this right. Did all I have mentioned about the food ruin our cruise? No, it did not. I was just a bit disappointed in the Tk offerings and the inconsistency of the MD food. I had a long conversation with the Food and Beverage Manager on board and he assured me that Seabourn is listening to guests thoughts on TK and admitted there had been some teething problems with the introduction of TK. Some of the TK dishes took hours of preparation for the chefs and not all of them have had the TK training so it was a work in progress. I remain optimistic about the TK venture with Seabourn as I believe Seabourn want to get this right.

The ship it self was in excellent condition. We had some great lecturers and some good guests entertainers. We had an arts and crafts program on offer which I usually attend however I was busy playing mahjong so could not attend. I did see the display of works produced by guests and they were amazing. We really enjoyed the itinerary and would highly recommend it to those people thinking of this itinerary.

My wife and I also enjoyed this cruise and itinerary.As there were quite a few sea days I felt that special effort had been made with the speakers(the aussie professor was a wonderful story teller)and the US diplomat was also well informed if a little "Washington centric".

We enjoyed all the Indian ports and thought Colombo was a great city, we will return to Sri Lanka.The highlight for us was an evening tour of Mumbai,which included an impromptu stop at a wedding and culminated in an outstanding fusion meal at Ziya the Michelin starred restaurant at the Oberoi hotel.

I agree with the point about the lack of visability of the Chef and there was the odd duff dish, but overall we thought the food was of a good standard.The quality of the Beef was once again outstanding.Yes there is still work to do on TK although the informal rib evening in the Colonade was excellent.

I know many folk enjoy the Middle East but apart from Muscat I found the rest of it pretty dismal.

In summary a cracking cruise and now have a couple more booked.Happy days!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent cruise on the Sojourn. You mentioned that David E was the CD, who were the other officers on board? I'll be boarding the Sojourn this summer, and always like to have boxes of chocolate for my favorite staff.

Sorry, I'm hopeless with names. David E and Ashley as CD and Assistant CD. Arki was the bar Manager. Capt. Hamish and his wife, we had a lovely dinner with them and Gayle his wife is so friendly. Assist MD in the main dinning room was Thomas. Both Arki and Thomas were exceptional. We had the best trio of singers in the club room. Sophie and her band. They played more Jazz style music and it was wonderful to go for a drink before dinner and listen to them. I hope they are still on board when you get on. The group singers on this cruise were very social and Sarah and Natalie were always busy getting to know the guests. The entertainment staff were all very excited about arriving in Monte Carlo as the ship was being taken over by Ferrari for the Grand Prix and they were going to be getting a break.

Currently on Sojourn, Dubai - Monaco. Agree TK food nothing to write home about. R2 and MD meals are generally excellent. Breakfast service in Colonnade could use improvement. As usual, staff are excellent. Fellow passengers are interesting and convivial. We are having a wonderful time, although the ports have been just so-so so far. Really looking forward to Petra in a few day's time. Linda

For anyone new to Seabourn and/or for anyone who has not sailed on the Odyssey class ships, the first of which was launched several years ago:

The "little ships" were sold off years ago. How they did what they did is irrelevant today. The new ships have their own fleet standards, accordingly.

Happy sailing!

Wripro,

That's your view and I know you miss the intimacy of the small ships.

But we are talking about the present and the future insofar as those who are interested or new to Seabourn are concerned. They want to know about current and future service standards so that they can make a choice among luxury cruise lines.

By the way, do you know how many current passengers have never cruised on the small ships? Do you know how many current passengers refused to sail on the small ships when they had the choice and were accustomed to ships with balconies, other amenities and the itineraries of Silversea, Crystal, Regent etc that the small ships simply did not have? Do you know how many current Seabourn passengers switched to the Odyssey class ships once they tried one and never returned to the small ships?

The point is that there is no point living in the past, nor do I imagine that Seabourn management is about to do so. That's what informed cruise prospects are interested in.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

We started on the triplets and then when the odyssey class was built we sailed on them too. I agree with Wripro that the triplets were in a class of their own and one of our fondest memories is having dinner on the back deck as we were sailing up the river into Seville After over 900 days we are taking a break, not because of the ships but because the itineraries are not changing. We had fallen into the lovely habit of having every 2nd Christmas on Seabourn but this years cruises were just the same as usual so we are making other arrangements.

Jean

Markham,

I am far from living in the past. I don't live in the past when I read Shakespeare or Moliere or listen to Verdi or Wagner. Do you know how many people refuse to read or listen to them and think we should be happy with John Grisham and Adele?

I happen to love the new ships. That doesn't mean I can't remember the triplets with fondness. The truth is Seabourn is now a cruise line like most other luxury cruise lines whereas before when it sailed the triplets it was in a class of its own. That's my opinion and obviously not yours but that's ok, isn't it?

Markham,

I am far from living in the past. I don't live in the past when I read Shakespeare or Moliere or listen to Verdi or Wagner. Do you know how many people refuse to read or listen to them and think we should be happy with John Grisham and Adele?

I happen to love the new ships. That doesn't mean I can't remember the triplets with fondness. The truth is Seabourn is now a cruise line like most other luxury cruise lines whereas before when it sailed the triplets it was in a class of its own. That's my opinion and obviously not yours but that's ok, isn't it?

Short of chartering my own private yacht (still working on that lottery win), the little sisters will likely be the closest I ever get to my own ride on the seas. Delightful experiences that I remember years later, particularly as a solo traveller, relaxingly wandering the halls and public areas feeling as if the ship was all mine. No, I'm not anti-social (well, maybe just a little), however, I relished the peace and quiet those ships afforded me. I remember vividly soaking for hours in the spa at the bow, the only soul around, day in and day out. Exactly what I wanted, what I needed.

Now, as I look forward (with some trepidation, mind you) to my first TA on Odyssey at the end of the year, I wonder if it will be possible to have even close to the welcomed solitary experiences I enjoyed on Legend and Pride. Probably not, so I'm resetting my expectations, but no one should suggest - to paraphrase - "moving on and getting with the times" as that would be an injustice to the lovely memories created aboard those fine vessels.

I frequently soaked alone in the forward spa on deck 6 on the 16 night Quest transatlantic. In fact, other than my mom we only ever saw one other guest out there.

I regularly was the only guest in the thermal suite at the spa.

I had entire sofas to myself on the aft decks outside Seabourn Square and The Club.

The only time I ever felt like there was a crowd was at trivia and at the muster drill.

I can't believe David is still there. He is the longest serving Seabourn employee. He was so great entertaining on the original little sisters and i missed that part when he went to the Odyssey class ships. I always liked that on the little sisters the CDs and ACDs were also entertainers. He does run a great trivia.

Wripro,

Yes, the small ships were indeed special to many of us. They were our first Seabourn "experience" and set a very high bar for cuisine, charm and intimacy.

Alas, those days are gone. What I wish for new Seabourn guests is that they behave as if they were on a private yacht among discerning people, the environment I believe - or choose to believe - prevailed on the small ships. That means more politeness towards staff, adherence to the dress code and all that goes with the values of those who appreciate the effort everyone at Seabourn delivers.

I remember well my first visit to the Club on the 2009 maiden of Odyssey, having sailed on Pride and Spirit where their Club rooms were maybe 40% the size. An elderly lady was already at its bar and she pronounced "I don't like this room. It's too big and I can't set the social tone". No kidding. That's when I knew that the Odyssey ships better suited me, apart from its expansive and more generous facilities. But I can see her point, too. And I wonder what ever happened to her.

We have the Dec., 2017 Quest cruise to Antarctica booked, and in the meantime Sojourn and Encore cruises booked. We will create a new history on

these beautiful trips, sailing to places among a large circle of friends as Seabourn executes its new strategies. This will be interesting; Encore is so very different in size from the small ships- and the Club, although set is the same ship's area will be roughly 20-30% larger, I am guessing- but I bet much of the old magic for me will remain.

Happy sailing!

Markham,

We both love Seabourn, no doubt.

I happen to agree with the woman who didn't like the Club on the O ships. I don't either. I find it uninviting and too segmented and after dinner the music is way too loud. Unfortunately, the Observation Lounge is only viable before 8PM because of the smokers.