Dress Code

gkgk123ca

• 2 months later...

I did notice a pair of track suit bottoms walk into the MDR on our Sojourn cruise. I would have used them whilst painting the fence.

They were seated around the corner on the edge of the dining room where waiters enter and leave the kitchen,

It wasn't SB's fault and ultimately not many will have noticed due to the actions of the hostess and maître 'd. Did it spoil our dinner? No, I actually felt sorry for the tracky bottom wearers wife who had made the effort. I suspect they had bigger fish to fry in their relationship than the wrong trousers in a dining room.

Some nationalities clearly aren't blessed when it comes to dress sense, but then I'm an English Gentleman, so probably unfair to comment on those less fortunate than my good self :)

Ultimately Seabourn, just like all the others, has to roll with the of punches. They need bums on seats.

Dressing up is a dying art, all I can do is ensure I'm the last man standing and set the tone for other to aspire to :)

Henry

Stop copying me Henry

You know your tailor only makes for one other person and Boy George gets sea sick so you'll be fine :)

I'm just worried that Mrs Jones leaves the charity shop and I stop getting all the best pieces set aside !

H.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sailing with Seabourn is superb. A luxury Cruise experience for mostly likeminded folk. However you may be surprised that Cruise Lines as Celebrity are having this very same conversation regarding dress. Self respect is a declining principle of this era. Dress is the first thing to slip.

Edited by koalapanda

• 2 weeks later...

Going on my first Seabourn cruise, and have a closetful of these black pants:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ag-graduate-slim-straight-leg-jeans-blackbird/3545233?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACKBIRD

Will this work for pants in the main dining room? Accompanied, of course, by appropriate collared shirt and perhaps sport coat....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by notjaded

Going on my first Seabourn cruise, and have a closetful of these black pants:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ag-graduate-slim-straight-leg-jeans-blackbird/3545233?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLACKBIRD

Will this work for pants in the main dining room? Accompanied, of course, by appropriate collared shirt and perhaps sport coat....

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry,no. Looking at the picture, they are jeans and they look like jeans. Other fairly casual trousers, like chinos, would pass, but I am afraid not these.

Jeans are not allowed in the dinning room.

Sorry,no. Looking at the picture, they are jeans and they look like jeans. Other fairly casual trousers, like chinos, would pass, but I am afraid not these.

Thanks for your feedback. All of this got me thinking about what is a "Jean," and so I looked up the definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jean

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans

The above and other web-definitions seem to have consistent definitions using "twilled", denim or dungaree cloth. Just thought it interesting.

Obviously, if something looks to most like a Jean, it is. No argument intended either here or on the ship.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
I was told "yes" recently on Quest. I personally m not brave enough to try it.

Not a big deal, but the way the dress code reads is confusing. I know on Crystal, after 6PM the attire throughout the ship was what was appropriate for the MDR, so no jeans, etc. Just wondered if Seabourn's evening dress is expected to be worn in all public areas.

If it is "not a big deal" wear non-denim pants and enjoy the ambiance of Seabourn.

That is why I made the inquiry, so as not to commit a fashion "faux pas". I intend to abide by the expectations, or code, or suggestion, or whatever it is called. Just didn't want to return to the ship and head for one of the casual dining environs after 6Pm in jeans if there is an expectation that attire changes everywhere on board at 6PM.

Just didn't want to return to the ship and head for one of the casual dining environs after 6Pm in jeans if there is an expectation that attire changes everywhere on board at 6PM.

There is definitely an expectation that almost everyone on board will change after 6 pm. I've been known to linger out at the Patio Grill past 6 pm and then change later for a late dinner but even then I've been in smart casual.

To be sure we understand: after a long day ashore, one is expected to dine in one's cabin/stateroom/suite unless one has the energy to change into elegant casual gear including a jacket for men? Even in the tropics? Not talking about the MDR nor a formal attire required night, just talking about the most casual dining venue for dinner.

To be sure we understand: after a long day ashore, one is expected to dine in one's cabin/stateroom/suite unless one has the energy to change into elegant casual gear including a jacket for men? Even in the tropics? Not talking about the MDR nor a formal attire required night, just talking about the most casual dining venue for dinner.

I guess for some of us if we have been out all day in the heat of the tropics, Singapore etc we like to freshen up with a shower before dinner. But you are perfectly able to eat without showering or changing at the Patio Grill if you so desire. An open necked shirt and casual pants is fine, in the tropics I have even seen long shorts. There is never a need for a jacket at the patio grill. Casual clothes are more the norm. Though you may get some looks of query if you you head to the Club/Observation Bar after dinner in shorts.

Julie

Thank you very much for your reply. We prefer a more casual dress setting and dining outdoors, weather permitting. And no worries about showing up in casual dress like shorts in the Ob/Club areas since they will be polluted by smokers in the evening...or is it just the Observation Bar where smoking is allowed after 8?

Probably Seabourn isn't a good fit for us because we prefer the more relaxed ambiance found on Oceania and the Seabourn smoking policy isn't to our comfort but will give it a go as the itinerary is fantastic. Therefore, we'll be asking some more questions. Best to "know before we go".

Again, thanks frantic36.

prefer a more casual dress setting and dining outdoors, weather permitting. And no worries about showing up in casual dress like shorts in the Ob/Club areas since they will be polluted by smokers in the evening...or is it just the Observation Bar where smoking is allowed after 8?

Smoking is allowed only in the Observation, after 8pm. Not allowed at any time in The Club.

You mentioned jackets. Men don't need to wear a jacket in the evening EXCEPT for formal night dining in The Restaurant. A jacket is optional on Elegant Casual nights in all venues, and on formal nights in other dining venues than the MDR.

The dress code is detailed on the SB website.

Edited by Ravenscroft