Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Mr Luxury,

I do not think things will descend to the level of shorts at dinner on SB. Ever. Perhaps the current dress code is as far as they will go. But Seabourn itself has a lot to do with how people dress despite its written dress code. Once upon a time not so very long ago the brochures were filled with models dressed in tuxes and long gowns. Now it's all casual attire so prospective passengers assume tuxes are not necessary.

My apologies - I made a comment and then disappeared for days! Having read the various replies I have decided to bring my tux as well as other jackets etc. It is correct that with business class travel (as we will be flying) there is extra luggage and I do like the chance to dress up a little and I know my wife always enjoys it when I do so. Hopefully we can encourage others to "kick it up a notch" as well for their future cruises.

My apologies - I made a comment and then disappeared for days! Having read the various replies I have decided to bring my tux as well as other jackets etc. It is correct that with business class travel (as we will be flying) there is extra luggage and I do like the chance to dress up a little and I know my wife always enjoys it when I do so. Hopefully we can encourage others to "kick it up a notch" as well for their future cruises.

Well done Sir :)

Mr Luxury,

I do not think things will descend to the level of shorts at dinner on SB. Ever. Perhaps the current dress code is as far as they will go. But Seabourn itself has a lot to do with how people dress despite its written dress code. Once upon a time not so very long ago the brochures were filled with models dressed in tuxes and long gowns. Now it's all casual attire so prospective passengers assume tuxes are not necessary.

Magazines and brouchures have a lot to answer for if the amount of Louis Vuitton shoes and handbags my wife has is anything to do with it.

I agree Henry a more relaxed dress code is here to stay but thankfully Seabourn gets the mix right with plenty of guests able to dress up a little and feel and look good.

The luggage excuse is a cop out for those that do not want to pack for all occasions,I wish they would just be upfront and say that they do not want to dress up and like looking casual for the whole of the vacation rather than try to blame it on the airlines.

I have never had a problem taking as many cases as I need for a trip.

Less luggage may indeed be a 'cop out' for some, but when one has to change planes and airlines, with the huge extra risk of missing luggage, plus stopping off in various cities en route it is much easier to only have one case and one carry on bag each, IMO. And a few extra evening things can make quite a difference. I have found over the years that actually others do not notice if I wear the same outfit a couple of times in the evenings rather than just once. But I know that some women are much more clothes conscious than I am.

Sending your cruise luggage ahead with the valet service would be the thing to do if you have various stops beforehand.You can forget about it and just unpack when you board knowing that you have everything for all occasions.

It's simple really just a bit of thought and planning.

I thought the luggage valet service was only available from/to the US. Besides, why should I pay a few hundred dollars to ship a tux to and from the ship when I will only be wearing it once or at the most twice. If I am going directly to the ship and then home, I bring my tux. But when I have other stops along the way, I leave it at home. However, I would be happy to borrow yours if we are on the same sailing.:)

Again, you do not have to bring a lot of luggage to have a suitable Seabourn wardrobe.One 50 LB bag per person will hold everything you need for a cruise

(except maybe a world cruise)including tux. So you can have you cake and eat it too. No need for either or. And yes, Lincslady, while alas not required a tie is a nice( and certainly no one can claim that takes up too much space in the luggage).

On the dress subject, though not actually 'dress code', something which amused a few of us in the Club once was two ladies sitting on the stools at the bar. One kept turning her handbag with the huge LV logo on so that we could all see it as she moved; the other kept moving her feet so that we could see her red Louboutin soles.

Again, you do not have to bring a lot of luggage to have a suitable Seabourn wardrobe.One 50 LB bag per person will hold everything you need for a cruise

(except maybe a world cruise)including tux. So you can have you cake and eat it too. No need for either or. And yes, Lincslady, while alas not required a tie is a nice( and certainly no one can claim that takes up too much space in the luggage).

If one has to lug that luggage to half a dozen hotels and homes, up staircases, on to trains, and squeeze it into trunks of cars with the bags of friends, then a 50 lb bag is "weigh" too much. We started travelling light a long time ago have never looked back or bad.

I personally agree with the last two posts.

It is quite clear that, as in most things, people divide up into various categories. There are those who must have all the appropriate gear for every occasion, even if this means heaps of shoes and bags etc., and do not mind toting them or sending them, and those (which includes us) who make do a bit, doubling up on some outfits and shoes etc. because they do not like handling lots of luggage. We will never all agree on this topic, but at least can be helpful to 'newbies' who worry about what is allowed in the evenings etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I am one of those (rare?) men who does not mind dressing up, and I love wearing a tux, but on our upcoming South America-Antarctica cruise it just seems too much to me to have to carry winter gear, summer gear and thermals, so I hope it will be a more "casual" voyage. We are both tired of bringing extra suitcases for one night of dress up.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a bit of a hassle to put a suit carrier with your case and shoes take up a bit of space, in my case it's boots which is even worse but there is something about putting in a bit of effort. I'm not saying it's the making of a relationship but every now and again being surprised at how good your partner looks doesn't harm the cause.

During the day I'm a shorts and T-shirt guy but at night on a cruise ship a couple of jackets and some formal wear can be put to good use. A lot also depends on how you travel to your cruise. First class and business class international flights tend to have very generous baggage allowances.

I am struggling a little to decide which jacket would best compliment my smart casual wear though :)

33421_LRG.jpg

It is a bit of a hassle to put a suit carrier with your case and shoes take up a bit of space, in my case it's boots which is even worse but there is something about putting in a bit of effort. I'm not saying it's the making of a relationship but every now and again being surprised at how good your partner looks doesn't harm the cause.

During the day I'm a shorts and T-shirt guy but at night on a cruise ship a couple of jackets and some formal wear can be put to good use. A lot also depends on how you travel to your cruise. First class and business class international flights tend to have very generous baggage allowances.

I am struggling a little to decide which jacket would best compliment my smart casual wear though :)

33421_LRG.jpg

I would pair it with a full length overcoat,that way the under attire need never be seen.:D

First time reading posts..my thoughts ...just imagine stepping out the lifts or coming down the glam staircase and there's maître de in jeans and a tshirt...the somliere in trakkie daks...keep the dress code...it's a beautiful elegant room...just love seeing all the old boys ( and a few young ones) all toffed up! And the ladies airing their bling!!

No place for revolutions on Seabourn!! My old boy would wear shorts if I let him.

No chance.

• 2 months later...
The dress codes are not a revolution but rather an evolution. The changes to which you object have already taken place as fewer and fewer tuxes and gowns are in evidence.

They could still enforce the existing dress code. Last I checked blue jeans were not supposed to be an option for every night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
So a black 3 piece suit would be ok for evening dinner? Rather than a tuxedo?

Also what about shirt and tie, would a white shirt with a coloured plain tie be ok?

Barny,this is the current dress code as lifted from the SB site

For Evenings:

After 6:00 p.m., attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

• Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days. Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

There's no need for a 3 piece suit, unless you specifically enjoy wearing the waistcoat.

Seabourn is a luxury line, but IMO it's not a formal line. The dress code doesn't enforce Formal wear, as you can see, it's optional, so technically you don't even need to take a suit, as long as you have a jacket. It's up to you how formal you want to take it.

Barny,this is the current dress code as lifted from the SB site

For Evenings:

After 6:00 p.m., attire for all venues on board will be one of the following:

• Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.
  • Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days. Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

There's no need for a 3 piece suit, unless you specifically enjoy wearing the waistcoat.

Seabourn is a luxury line, but IMO it's not a formal line. The dress code doesn't enforce Formal wear, as you can see, it's optional, so technically you don't even need to take a suit, as long as you have a jacket. It's up to you how formal you want to take it.

Well said! For the life of me I don't understand what is so hard about Seabourn"s dress code. "Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant" is always appropriate even on formal optional nights according to the dress code.

We have sailed many days on Seabourn and in the last few years DH has worn a sports coat/dress slacks to dinner every night. The dress on Seabourn is very easy to comply with. I agree Seabourn is a luxury line but not a formal one.