Dress Code

gkgk123ca

My forthcoming 10 day Med cruise has just one formal optional evening. I have a lovely long black gown to wear, but reading all these posts, I am wondering if I would be the only one wearing a long dress.

I don't want to cart it around for a fortnight if I would stick out like a sore thumb in the MDR. Any advice please? :confused:

My forthcoming 10 day Med cruise has just one formal optional evening. I have a lovely long black gown to wear, but reading all these posts, I am wondering if I would be the only one wearing a long dress.

I don't want to cart it around for a fortnight if I would stick out like a sore thumb in the MDR. Any advice please? :confused:

There will be some ladies that will wear proper long evening dresses and there will be some that do not. There will also be some ladies that wear trousers.why not look your best in your lovely black dress.

The suggested dress code is a minimum requirement, a point that is often missed by some guests. Some ladies like to dress well on formal evenings on a ship as they have little opportunity to do so on land.

There will be some ladies that will wear proper long evening dresses and there will be some that do not. There will also be some ladies that wear trousers.why not look your best in your lovely black dress.

The suggested dress code is a minimum requirement, a point that is often missed by some guests. Some ladies like to dress well on formal evenings on a ship as they have little opportunity to do so on land.

It's always a highlight of my cruise, seeing the lovely dresses that are worn. :)

Take your long dress and enjoy being glam for a night. I take a mixture of dresses, long and short, trousers and dressy tops and have never felt out of place in anything whilst on Seabourn in the Med. I did feel a bit overdressed once in the Caribbean on the last night when it was casual dress and everyone seemed to be in cropped trousers and tops and I had black full length trousers. Med not a problem. Ladies seem to dress a little dressier there! Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 months later...

Can someone advise the current evening dress code split for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise (Quest Athens to Marseille 18-Jul-13)

i.e.

Formal optional ?nights

Elegantly casual ?nights

Resort casual ?nights

Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Can someone advise the current evening dress code split for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise (Quest Athens to Marseille 18-Jul-13)

i.e.

Formal optional ?nights

Elegantly casual ?nights

Resort casual ?nights

Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's the same every night, being casual. Ladies, as always wear pretty dresses and men slacks and collared shirt, though some wear collar and tie or suit.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling incorrect and need assistance. I have found all the dress code information very confusing. I am having particular difficulty figuring out what the difference between resort casual and elegant casual means for women. It seemed like the directions for Crystal and Silversea were much clearer.

Here I am packing for a 20 day Med cruise for me and my husband.

For me: Do I bring 2 - 4 cocktail dresses and a few other casual dresses for dinner? Should I throw a long gown in? Will long white slacks [until I spill red wine on them] and a casual top do it for dinner most nights?

For him: White dinner jacket or tux needed? Or will a dark suit suffice for formal nights? Or, can he get away with a sports coat all the time?

Thanks for your help.

For him: White dinner jacket or tux needed? Or will a dark suit suffice for formal nights? Or, can he get away with a sports coat all the time?

Thanks for your help.

A dark suit will suffice for formal nights (I know some will still suggest a tux - but it's not required). I'm not sure if a sports coat would work for formal optional.

Most women do not dress differently on casual and elegant casual evenings but I usually wear nice dresses and high heels on elegant casual nights( my husband usually wear a coat and tie even though only the coat is required) and pants on the few casual nights( usually the first, last and deck BBQ nights).For formal optional nights( usually two on a 20 day cruise ) I bring one long gown and one short cocktail dress. The Caribbean cruises do tend to be a bit more casual than the others. Laundry is no problem -- either use the laundry room or better yet send clothes out to be laundered -- so I would see no reason not to bring white pants.He can wear the white dinner jacket, or tux or even a dark suit on formal optional nights.Some men wear a sports coat on formal optional nights but I thinks they stand out ( and not in a good way).

Sadly, on a very recent cruise in the med several men have been allowed to get away with shirtsleeves and no tie in the MDR on both elegant casual and formal night. Also another point, to show how bad mannered some can be, some sneak in at the back of the dining room at 7.30 and just go and pick a table, so the Maitre'd has no idea what is or is not free!! And is not prepared to confront the transgressors. Peace at any price seems to be the way things are run.

Sadly, on a very recent cruise in the med several men have been allowed to get away with shirtsleeves and no tie in the MDR on both elegant casual and formal night. Also another point, to show how bad mannered some can be, some sneak in at the back of the dining room at 7.30 and just go and pick a table, so the Maitre'd has no idea what is or is not free!! And is not prepared to confront the transgressors. Peace at any price seems to be the way things are run.

Because the Maitre d' is not backed up by the Hotel Director and in turn he is not backed up by shoreside management.

All the cruise lines want is to fill the ships,unfortunately at the expense of those that expect to get what is advertised and are often sold short these days.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Which ship?

For me: Do I bring 2 - 4 cocktail dresses and a few other casual dresses for dinner? Should I throw a long gown in? Will long white slacks [until I spill red wine on them] and a casual top do it for dinner most nights?

I'm presently starting to think through my packing for a 10 night Caribbean - I know it will be 1 formal night with a mix of resort casual and elegant casual. After seeing what women wore on my last cruise, I'll wear a short cocktail dress for the formal night. My resort casual outfits will be either maxi dresses with fun flat sandals or short knit dresses with heeled sandals. My elegant casual outfits will be fun dresses I can't wear to work (one-shoulder short dresses or more elegant maxi dresses with funky straps, etc.) I'll probably toss in some separates too.

Unless out doing active stuff, I tend to wear the same kinds of things day or evening so I pack clothes that can do double duty. On the last cruise, for example, I wore a navy sleeveless knit dress for daytime with a sport cardigan and flats to tour. A couple of nights later, I wore it alone with an elegant necklace and heeled sandals for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

I read thru almost every post on this thread, but do not recall having seen the issue of shorts or capri's mentioned. I am booked on a Caribbean cruise in November and assume that shorts are OK anywhere on the ship prior to 6:00 pm? My wife wants to know if Capri's are acceptable attire for Resort Casual?

I read thru almost every post on this thread, but do not recall having seen the issue of shorts or capri's mentioned. I am booked on a Caribbean cruise in November and assume that shorts are OK anywhere on the ship prior to 6:00 pm? My wife wants to know if Capri's are acceptable attire for Resort Casual?

OK, so I learned that one should due a little more research before posting questions as I quickly discovered the answer to the "shorts" question on Seabourns web site.:D

Still wondering about the Capri's.

Jim