Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Very nice move re a dinner jacket! The problem with a traditional tux and black tie is that we probably would be the only ones in the entire restaurant dressed identically to the waiters, being greeted with, "I'll have another glass of the cabernet, please", as we arrive at our tables.

Remember, the whole "suit, white shirt, no tie" look was created and made popular by Iran's president Ahmadinejad, and we Yanks never liked that guy. I think the right thing to do is to is to work on the elegant British gentleman shtick. I think I can do that. Will I need a mustache? Can you tell me how to correctly pronounce "Isandlwana" and "Crumperthwaiteshire"?

I have been known to wear a cravat in lieu of a (hand tied) bow tie on formal nights. I also enjoy giving my pocket watches an airing. Excentricity is a delightful trait and cruises the perfect platform upon which to let them shine.

I also like to consider myself non conformist, not along the lines of shorts & flowery shirt in the dining room but a slight edge. Subtle but there none the less.

We are very lucky in England when it comes to clothing. Bizarrely for my working life I never have to get dressed up.

Henry :)

Remember, the whole "suit, white shirt, no tie" look was created and made popular by Iran's president Ahmadinejad, and we Yanks never liked that guy.

I'd forgotten where it had started. Interesting.

There is something about it that simply does not work. It can't simply be politics.

One of our UK politicians almost destroyed his credibility by wearing Hush Puppies. Not the other way round.

Tony

Your politician should have claimed that he wore them for safety reasons. According to Wikipedia. "Hush Puppies claimed their rubber soles saved the life of guitarist Keith Richards when he accidentally touched his guitar against an ungrounded microphone at a 1965 concert in Sacramento, California. Richards was knocked unconscious, but medics believed that the crepe-soled Hush Puppies shoes he was wearing insulated him and saved his life."

• 3 weeks later...

Not to go off topic here, but I notice women on the boards mention "ball gowns" occasionally and I wonder whether or not they know what a ball gown is and when it's appropriately worn. A ball gown is the most formal attire and is worn for a ball or other white tie occasion. Generally, ball gowns are very full skirted because--wait for it--women need the freedom around their legs for dancing. Generally an evening gown (which is for most women about as formal as they go) is not so full around the legs. Take a look at pictures of Queen Elizableth at state occasions. You have enough room for a slumber party down there. I doubt today many women would actually own a ball gown as there aren't as many balls as there used to be and the only other event that I know of that they are appropriate for are the aforementioned state occasions. So unless you're having dinner in the East Room of the White House or in Buckingham Palace you really won't have a need for a ball gown.

You would be a tad overdressed in one on Seabourn.

scamper - you are right; I have kept meaning to put a post in about 'ball gowns'. The most formal outfit a woman needs is a long dress, strappy cocktail dress (but remember you might need a pashmina as the public rooms are never very warm) or silk or velvet trousers and evening top.

I know some old hands try to suggest very formal wear is desirable - as indeed it could be for Christmas and New Year, when I would get my DH to wear his DJ and bow tie, but it is now not actually necessary on any evening, when a jacket over even an open neck shirt is allowed (though I would always suggest a tie).

Remember, the whole "suit, white shirt, no tie" look was created and made popular by Iran's president Ahmadinejad, and we Yanks never liked that guy.

I always thought it was Don Johnson on "Miami Vice"...with no socks!

• 2 months later...

I am on a 32 day Odyssey cruise from Auckland leaving Feb 7. Not one guy on my roll call group is bringing a tux. I guess I won't either. Wonder what the Captain's reception will be like? The captain and officers in formal wear and the male passengers in sport jackets, many with no ties. I guess "black tie optional" now means, "don't bother, no one else will".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have happily found that on my last two Seabourn cruises (March and September 2014) that tuxes and/or dark business suits are still being worn on formal nights, along with less formal wear.

If you wish to wear your tux, please do so; it is your choice. I, for one, applaud you--although from a distance!

Wonder what the Captain's reception will be like? The captain and officers in formal wear and the male passengers in sport jackets, many with no ties. I guess "black tie optional" now means, "don't bother, no one else will".

I'm sure the Captain's Reception will be same event it always is - one of the few occasions where I feel "herded" on a Seabourn ship. That and the Club Party have been the same - walk through a receiving line into the Grand Salon, take a seat, nibble a passed canapé or two (similar ones to the block party), have a cocktail, listen to a short speech, listen to the band play, everyone rushes the dining room for dinner.

To me, there is nothing about either of those events that suggests black tie. :cool:

I'm sure the Captain's Reception will be same event it always is - one of the few occasions where I feel "herded" on a Seabourn ship. That and the Club Party have been the same - walk through a receiving line into the Grand Salon, take a seat, nibble a passed canapé or two (similar ones to the block party), have a cocktail, listen to a short speech, listen to the band play, everyone rushes the dining room for dinner.

To me, there is nothing about either of those events that suggests black tie. :cool:

So true...very little difference in these events, be it on Regent, Seabourn, Cunard or Princess.

We haven't been on Seabourn since they recently relaxed the dress code, but over the last 5 years there has always been a wide mix of men's dress - sports coat/slacks/tie, suit and tux since we did our first Seabourn cruise in 2009. DH wore a suit then, but there were plenty of men in a sports coat/slacks/tie even when Seabourn was just the 3 little girls. So since then, he has done the sports coat routine and there were always plenty of men dressed the same way. Others were in a suit and there were tuxes also, of course. The lack of a tie with the sports coat will not be noticed and I am sure some men will be much happier.

I like the approach, if you like to dress formally, do so, but others have other options.

Good job Seabourn!

Edited by cwn

• 5 weeks later...

What exactly is the new Seabourn dress code?

We have just returned from a 28 day Regent cruise. Just two nights were formal optional, a few men wore DJs and the rest suits or jackets some with but most without ties. The other 26 nights were smart casual which meant for men no jackets needed although some wore them occasionally and ties were very rare. Ladies were generally well dressed,with a few wearing long dresses (not ball gowns) on the two formal optional nights. It led to a great relaxed atmosphere and few, if any, abused the code of being 'smart'.

I hope Seabourn follow suit as on holiday jackets and ties are seldom worn these days.

We have just returned from a 28 day Regent cruise. Just two nights were formal optional, a few men wore DJs and the rest suits or jackets some with but most without ties. The other 26 nights were smart casual which meant for men no jackets needed although some wore them occasionally and ties were very rare. Ladies were generally well dressed,with a few wearing long dresses (not ball gowns) on the two formal optional nights. It led to a great relaxed atmosphere and few, if any, abused the code of being 'smart'.

I hope Seabourn follow suit as on holiday jackets and ties are seldom worn these days.

I have just visited the Seabourn website and discovered that their dress code is now the same as Regent. Well done Seabourn.

The new dress code is detailed on the Seabourn website.

Attire During the Day:

• During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in any public venues after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in any public venues after 6pm.

I've just read your post on the Regent board and see that you proclaim Seabourn as "stuffy" which very much surprised me, so I'm curious to know why you're asking this question here on the SB board.

If you think SB is "stuffy" presumably you're much happier cruising Regent?

Sorry if I upset you Nigella by referring to The Seabourn dress code as stuffy. It was when we sailed with them last year. I am delighted with the change and I withdraw the comment. We will be sailing with Seabourn later this year.

• 3 weeks later...
A few weeks ago we left the 'Legend' after another enjoyable cruise. WE had 4 Formals

in 15 days and thankfully most passengers dressed accordingly'

Glad to say the 'barbeque' set were not in evidence.

Good to hear and not a stuffy guest amongst them.

I wonder how many we will have on our 29 night trip? DH is, by his own admission, a 'scruffbag' (shirt never stays tucked in, he has trouble 'matching' colours and styles, just doesn't really get the whole thing - all to do with being dyspraxic) and for him the 'formal optional' evenings are easier if we just pack his DJ / tuxedo, as he knows exactly what is required. So, however many formal nights there are he will probably be resplendent in his formal outfit. Sort of 'dressing by numbers' I suppose ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Half way through reading his and can only think, "why are people so lazy" and "why not go on a cruise line where you can wear flip flops and cut off shorts 24/7?" I haven't cruised in years but there are different cruise lines that are providing different experiences. If you wish to have a super casual experience, there is a Carnival and a host of other ships. Can we please leave an option or two for the segment of the public that or who want a more elegant experience? If you hate, despise the attire policy choose another line.

Half way through reading his and can only think, "why are people so lazy" and "why not go on a cruise line where you can wear flip flops and cut off shorts 24/7?" I haven't cruised in years but there are different cruise lines that are providing different experiences. If you wish to have a super casual experience, there is a Carnival and a host of other ships. Can we please leave an option or two for the segment of the public that or who want a more elegant experience? If you hate, despise the attire policy choose another line.

There are many elements which make up elegance on a ship. Telling people who do not want to dress formally to seek a cruise line like Carnival is the same as telling people who bring kids aboard to seek a cruise line like Carnival or Disney and to leave Seabourn for the segment of the public that wants a kids free environment. Neither will happen because SB and all the luxury lines are going after a younger demographic which does not like to dress as if it were still the 1980s.

My opinion: I am not telling you or anyone else how to dress.

I also believe there can be lines that cater to families and lines that cater to adults only. My opinion choose what suits you but standards don't have to be lessened to accommodate those that don't want to meet the dress code. If it's ok to accommodate those that want casual all day every day; then It's equally ok to accommodate those who are interested in a more dressy/formal environment as well. Fair is fair.

I am in the younger end of the demographic but I don't have to wear shorts and flip flops everywhere I go.