Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Vaitape,

To clarify even further even on nights where they prefer a jacket you do not really need one, even in the MDR. The only time you MUST wear a jacket is on formal optional nights and you can forego the tie if you prefer though most men will wear one.

So nice to find you here. Have enjoyed your posts over the years on another cruise line. We're excited re upcoming 2017 cruise on Seabourn. A little concerned re the dress code as we are going on an extended trip through Asia and the South Pacific and can't be hauling around a lot of stuff. And the smoking on verandas but will give it a trial. Thanks for the further clarification. Will look for more of your posts here. Again, thanks to the folks who've taken the time to answer our questions.

There is definitely an expectation that almost everyone on board will change after 6 pm. I've been known to linger out at the Patio Grill past 6 pm and then change later for a late dinner but even then I've been in smart casual.

Thanks. That is sorta what I thought. Want to be respectful of the expectations.

We read the dress code on the website but needed further clarification. Thank you for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

You're welcome. I thought you were of the understanding that you needed to wear a jacket every night, just wanted to clarify that you don't.

I realise the dress code can be confusing.

So nice to find you here. Have enjoyed your posts over the years on another cruise line. We're excited re upcoming 2017 cruise on Seabourn. A little concerned re the dress code as we are going on an extended trip through Asia and the South Pacific and can't be hauling around a lot of stuff. And the smoking on verandas but will give it a trial. Thanks for the further clarification. Will look for more of your posts here. Again, thanks to the folks who've taken the time to answer our questions.

I know you'll enjoy your Seabourn cruise.

Ravenscroft: yes, the jacket at dinner was part of my question/concern. As I mentioned, we'll be on an extended trip through Asia and the South Pacific so clothes are an important topic for us. We'll need warm clothes for Kong Kong and China (winter) and layered gear for Aussie and NZ (early Fall), and summer gear for everywhere else.....a bit of a challenge. If you're on the cruise with us, you won't have a hard time spotting us as we'll be the couple wearing the same clothes very evening!

wripro: we're certainly looking forward to this itinerary. Very excited about revisiting the PI and Vietnam and the quick stop in Cambodia. We're hoping we're lucky with our neighbors. We can avoid the other areas where smoking is permitted but not on our veranda.

We'll need warm clothes for Kong Kong and China (winter)

Keep in mind that "winter" in Hong Kong is 16-21 C (or 60-70 F)... so the warm clothes you will need are likely what you'd be packing for spring/autumn elsewhere at most.

I have frequently giggled when I've been in Hong when it's been in these temperatures and local women are in heavy coats, mittens, and hats while I'm out in a light cardigan and bare legs.

It appears that Seabourn has tweaked the dress code and formal nights are no longer optional. This is from the Seabourn website.

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional.

Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress.

This is the dress standard for all dining venues.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

In the Restaurant,

Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required.

Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

The itinerary in the preliminary document booklet will inform you of the number of Formal evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal evening

Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal evenings

Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal evenings

Looks like they eliminated one category....casual. Now Elegant casual is basically casual. At least that's how I read it.

The three category dress code was eliminated over a year ago. This is not recent.

Edited by jenidallas

Please excuse our naivete but why would anyone lug a tux half way across the world to wear for 1-3 nights?

We cruise to experience destinations more comfortably accessed via cruise ship. How comforting it is to come back to the ship and crawl into the same (and clean) bed after a long day sightseeing in exotic places.

Couldn't care a stuff about what our fellow passengers wear.

But if you see the amount of luggage some people take on two week cruises you'd have to conclude that there are people who do concern themselves over what they wear.

They are bothered. You are not. And that is the theme of this thread from start to finish.

Tony

Please excuse our naivete but why would anyone lug a tux half way across the world to wear for 1-3 nights?

We cruise to experience destinations more comfortably accessed via cruise ship. How comforting it is to come back to the ship and crawl into the same (and clean) bed after a long day sightseeing in exotic places.

Couldn't care a stuff about what our fellow passengers wear.

But if you see the amount of luggage some people take on two week cruises you'd have to conclude that there are people who do concern themselves over what they wear.

They are bothered. You are not. And that is the theme of this thread from start to finish.

Tony

Very interesting how what is in the eye of the beholder is subject to social influence. We were in the Collonade one evening, avoiding the Formal Night in the restaurant and enjoying a hosted table. A man wearing a tux joins our table, and upon spotting me and my aloha shirt, he rips off his tux jacket and removes his tie, all while sighing and broadly smiling in relief. :)

Very interesting how what is in the eye of the beholder is subject to social influence.

I've seen two different recurring themes in these dress code threads over the years - 1) those who want the rules strictly enforced/those who want to break the rules as written and 2) those who long for a return to elegance/those who think what they wear is only their business.

I've observed on my last couple of Seabourn cruises that some of those who complain most vocally about the dress code not being strictly enforced are also those who seem to lack a certain "style" in their dress (wearing frumpy or I'll-fitting or threadbare garments) while many who have expresses frustration with the "you can/you can't" dictates of our vocal posters have been some of the most elegantly dressed I've encountered. But style and elegance are not why dress codes exist.

I stated up thread a year or two ago but it bears repeating. Social etiquette (including dress codes) exists to make others comfortable. It's part of possessing social grace.

Those who fret about dress codes (including those who take the time to try to learn the norms and may ask questions about what is/isn't acceptable) tend to have it.

Those who are insistent that they can do what they like wherever they like often lack it. Sadly, no strict enforcement of dress code can repair that. Boorish people will find other ways to behave boorishly.

I understand people come on here and say they don't like to be judged for what they are wearing. Why is it any different that some judge by saying " can't understand why people would drag a tuxedo for 1-3 nights on a cruise" or "boorish behaviour by people in tuxedos and gowns" .

I cruise as it is part of how I travel to see the world and I pack a lot of exploring in on our port days. But my husband and I like to dress up in the evening including wishing to wear long gowns and tuxedos sometimes in the evening. I will refrain from judging what your wearing if you wouldn't mind doing the same for us. :cool:

Julie

I cruise as it is part of how I travel to see the world and I pack a lot of exploring in on our port days. But my husband and I like to dress up in the evening including wishing to wear long gowns and tuxedos sometimes in the evening. I will refrain from judging what your wearing if you wouldn't mind doing the same for us. :cool:

^ This!!!:D

Social etiquette (including dress codes) exists to make others comfortable. It's part of possessing social grace.

Those who fret about dress codes (including those who take the time to try to learn the norms and may ask questions about what is/isn't acceptable) tend to have it.

Those who are insistent that they can do what they like wherever they like often lack it. Sadly, no strict enforcement of dress code can repair that. Boorish people will find other ways to behave boorishly.

Those who fret about dress codes will seek advice from the experts, namely the written code. When in doubt, they extend their search to peers and also to staff.

I chuckled when a dining room staff member seemed surprised when I asked if my slacks would be considered "jeans." While he emphatically said "no" and said they were very appropriate for The Restaurant, some peers on this board, when shown a link upthread, admonished me that these slacks were indeed jeans. :confused:

It's rarely those who prefer to dress down a bit who criticize those who like to dress up. It's typically the other way around.

I see it come from both directions on this thread as each tries to defend their position.

I personally like to dress up... but it's always jolting (onboard) to hear someone complain about others not following the code and think to yourself "and yet that's how YOU interpreted that" after seeing their idea of proper is in spirit only. (Case in point... a couple of guests in ill-fitting formalwear that had clearly seen days in better condition who were dismayed that others might choose to NOT wear tuxedos and sequins too. They looked smart the rest of the week....)

Edited by jenidallas

• 3 weeks later...