Dress Code

gkgk123ca

I would not be comfortable in the MDR in capris on any evening. I have one dressier pair (black) that I occasionally wear with nice heeled sandals and a nice top, but I'd still probably leave those for the Colonnade or daytime wear.

This is an excerpt from my posting on our recent Sojourn cruise to the Baltics.

Dress Standards: I was probably one of the few men on board wearing a tuxedo on formal night in the dining room. I would say out of 150 men (roughly)

• 10 wore tuxes or formal dinner jackets,
  • 40 wore a dark suit and tie,
  • 50 more wore lighter colored, more relaxed suits or jackets with ties
  • another 40 wore jackets without ties
  • and there were suprisingly a few without jackets, simply open colored shirts.

This was a little disappointing, but I think the old era is coming to an end

On the other hand, on other nights, and even just generally around the ship, dress was much more upscale than other cruises. Very few jeans anywhere. Virtually no shorts - except gym shorts for people heading to the gym.

Now I find this all a little disappointing. The last thing I want to do is to feel like I am showing off by wearing a dinner suit, or to feel uncomfortably out of place. But I do think it is one of the things that sets the 6-star cruises apart. My last (only) cruise on Seabourn was in 2009 and I would say there were probably 30-45% wearing a dinner suit. I am sailing again in August (Athens to Monte Carlo) and am now inclined to not carry the suit (coming all the way from New Zealand it is quite a bit of extra weight to lug around).

hardlife - I think as you are sailing in the high summer in the Med., probably port intensive, there will be some, but not many, in dinner suit. Thoroughly recommend nowadays a sports coat (preferably with tie) for formal, to save lugging the DJ and black shoes, etc.

A different story still I think for ocean crossings, which attract people who like to dress properly for formals. My DH takes 2 sports coats, one rather more dark and sober than the other, for the formal and elegant evenings. Or you could take a dark suit if the jacket would also go with more casual trousers?

Things have changed a lot since 2009. Back then the dress code was formal. Today it is formal optional making the tux (or dinner suit) unnecessary.

But men do look so handsome in their tuxes and the atmosphere is more special on formal nights when everyone dresses up a bit more than every other night. I don't understand the reasoning that tuxes are heavier these days to pack; if so, go the black suit or jacket and dress pants route. Women still dress up; indulge us and do so too for one or two nights.

Edited by Winner
grammer

But men do look so handsome in their tuxes and the atmosphere is more special on formal nights when everyone dresses up a bit more than every other night. I don't understand the reasoning that tuxes are heavier these days to pack; if so, go the black suit or jacket and dress pants route. Women still dress up; indulge us and do so too for one or two nights.

It's not that tuxes are heavier to pack, it's that it is an extra large item to pack that gets little use. I am much better off bringing a dark blue suit -- I can also use the suit jacket with grey or beige slacks on informal nights, and I can use the suit ashore.

I agree unfortunately some men do rather let their wives down when it comes to complimenting their dress.

Shame really.Ladies it is up to you to get your husbands in order.:D

It's not that tuxes are heavier to pack, it's that it is an extra large item to pack that gets little use. I am much better off bringing a dark blue suit -- I can also use the suit jacket with grey or beige slacks on informal nights, and I can use the suit ashore.

I keep hearing this "use the suit jacket with grey or beige slacks". Nothing looks dorkier than a jacket - designed to be part of a suit - worn as a blazer with contrasting slacks.

A tux is no more difficult to bring than a suit if you will only wear it once. What is a pain is the shirt - at least with a suit you can wear colored or striped shirts with different ties to give some variety so one suit can be worn several times. A tux needs a formal shirt and rarely can you re-wear a formal shirt without it being laudered, starched and pressed. .

Edited by JPH814

JPH814 I do tend to agree with you, even though I know I suggested this as an option. I dare say there are some suits with a slightly casual cut which would look OK with casual trousers, but I prefer my DH in a dark sports coat with a very discreet check pattern, and think this can look as good as a suit if in the right colours. But the tux is a pain for most men, as you say, with the white shirt, black shoes and laundering etc., and I was trying to suggest a compromise. Mr. Luxury does think a suit is more 'formal', maybe he is right, but toting heaps of luggage round the world is no fun.

I never get the dragging luggage around the world bit.

The cases are packed at home and are then never really touched until we open them in our suite.

We usually take four or six cases depending on how long we are away for, plenty of room to pack for every occasion.

Mr. Luxury,

I agree with you -- don't understand the constant concern about lugging luggage. As you noted, after it is dropped at the airline counter you don't usually have to touch it again until it (hopefully) lands on the carousel at your destination. And even then, if you prefer, you can usually hire a porter to take it off the carousel and to your ground transportation. As to the weight issue, many SB fly business class where there is a higher weight allowance. Similarly if you are a frequent flyer with a certain airline you have an additional allowance( as United Premier Gold we COULD each check two 70 pound bags). But I don't even think any of this is necessary. When we go on Seabourn between the cruise and land travel we are gone 20 -30 days and we take two 50 lb. bags. Trust me me don;t stint on wardrobe.My husband takes a tux, a sport coat( and wears a second one on the plane) as well as plenty of shirts, ties,dress pants, casual clothes, 4-5 pairs of shoes( including athletic shoes and dress shoes), exercise gear and swim wear. I usually take between 8-12 dresses, a long gown, numerous pairs of short, capris and slacks, a dozen tops, swim and exercise wear and 8 pairs of shoes. Never have we been over 100 lbs. for the two bags. We board the plane each pulling a little 17inch by 17 inch rolling tote with our books, my jewelry, and a change of clothes( just in case). So I can accept that many people just don't want to wear a tux --fine different strokes-- but I have trouble buying the argument that it is because of luggage limitations.

There really should be no argument here. Those who wish to can wear tuxes and long gowns. Those who do not wish to can avoid them. That's what the word "optional" means. Personally, I don't care at all what anyone else wears as long as they don't try to impose their standards on me and I meet Seabourn's dress code.

There really should be no argument here. Those who wish to can wear tuxes and long gowns. Those who do not wish to can avoid them. That's what the word "optional" means. Personally, I don't care at all what anyone else wears as long as they don't try to impose their standards on me and I meet Seabourn's dress code.

I recognize the change of dress code and know those not being formal are breaking no rules.

But I do disagree a bit. To me, the formal attire of other guests is part of what makes a formal evening special. It is like eating dinner on fine china versus paper plates - the food is the same, but it is far less enjoyable.

It is a downward spiral: as fewer people wear formal attire, those that do are more discouraged, leading to fewer people in formal attire the next cruise. I regret the passing of the formal evening, but also recognize it is a losing battle.

I keep hearing this "use the suit jacket with grey or beige slacks". Nothing looks dorkier than a jacket - designed to be part of a suit - worn as a blazer with contrasting slacks.

A tux is no more difficult to bring than a suit if you will only wear it once. What is a pain is the shirt - at least with a suit you can wear colored or striped shirts with different ties to give some variety so one suit can be worn several times. A tux needs a formal shirt and rarely can you re-wear a formal shirt without it being laudered, starched and pressed. .

I beg to differ. I had my solid navy blue suit specifically made so that the suit jacket could double as a sports jacket and I doubt you or anyone else could tell the difference. As I usually combine cruises with business travel, the suit is essential. It can be worn to meetings and out to dinner ashore, while the tux cannot. In contrast, the tux occupies more space than the suit (because of the shirt, extra tie, etc.) yet is used just once or twice. Simply not a good decision when one wants to travel light.

Edited by commodoredave

Will you enjoy your food on your fine china plates any less if someone else is eating off different plates?

Frankly, yes...

Will I enjoy a dinner more with candles and flowers throughout the room?

Will I enjoy a dinner more with nice music playing?

Will I enjoy a diner more with silver and crystal set out on nice linen?

It is called ambiance....and everything in a room contributes to it.

Edited by JPH814

I beg to differ. I had my solid navy blue suit specifically made so that the suit jacket could double as a sports jacket and I doubt you or anyone else could tell the difference. As I usually combine cruises with business travel, the suit is essential. It can be worn to meetings and out to dinner ashore, while the tux cannot. In contrast, the tux occupies more space than the suit (because of the shirt, extra tie, etc.) yet is used just once or twice. Simply not a good decision when one wants to travel light.

I stand corrected - but please admit that you are in the minority - even among Seabourn clientele - who would have their suits custom made to these specifications. Too often I have seen this attempted with less custom designed suits and it look rather silly.

I stand corrected - but please admit that you are in the minority - even among Seabourn clientele - who would have their suits custom made to these specifications. Too often I have seen this attempted with less custom designed suits and it look rather silly.

Yes, I have seen too many men wear pin-stripped or checked suit jackets as sports jackets and they do look terrible. As I travel a lot on business, I have learned to pack smart and do some mix and match where it makes sense. I still enjoy wearing a tux, but on our next Seabourn cruise we will be spending 2 weeks before and after the cruise travelling, including 5 days in London on business where I need my suit. So the tux will stay at home this time.

I believe that my original suggestion was to someone from New Zealand - often people from far away (and near too) will incorporate several hotels en route, changes of plane and business meetings, and to my mind having as little luggage as possible in these circumstances makes life easier.

JPH814,

I respect your desire to have ambience throughout the room. I also suspect that you are in for a lot of disappointment as the years progress and things become less and less formal.

Yes Henry,very soon we will be having dinner in our shorts and polo shirts, just like having breakfast in the ships buffet.:eek:

I suppose we could all try Oceania where a jacket at dinner is really something to behold.

Edited by Mr Luxury

I remain slightly hopeful that the minimum requirement on formal optional and elegant evenings will remain as jacket required - and I would like to see it also require a tie.

Sadly, some maitred's and/or hotel directors have been allowing no jackets into the dining room on formal optionals recently, I think possibly due to the actual number of men turning up without jackets. The rules need rewriting and enforcing, and everyone booking, whether by internet or whatever, should be informed of them before they get on board. On the new ships people can always go to the Colonnade, but this does not apply on the little ones - any alternative requiring prebooking.