Sirena dining questions

tiller

My mom and I are going to be sailing on the Sirena out of Los Angeles in December, and I have a couple questions about lunch in the dining room and the buffet. This will be our first time on Oceania.

1. In the dining room, is the lunch menu exclusively what's on the Jacques Bistro menu, or are there other items besides? Much of what I've seen on the JB menu is heavier than my normal lunch.

2. My understanding of Oceania's buffet is that it's cafeteria-style, in that you don't serve yourself. Is this also the case for the salad bar--do you just point at the vegetables you want?

Thank you!

My mom and I are going to be sailing on the Sirena out of Los Angeles in December, and I have a couple questions about lunch in the dining room and the buffet. This will be our first time on Oceania.

1. In the dining room, is the lunch menu exclusively what's on the Jacques Bistro menu, or are there other items besides? Much of what I've seen on the JB menu is heavier than my normal lunch.

2. My understanding of Oceania's buffet is that it's cafeteria-style, in that you don't serve yourself. Is this also the case for the salad bar--do you just point at the vegetables you want?

Thank you!

Yes - thankfully on Oceania you do not serve yourself - although many new comers to Oceania seem to have a problem with that concept. Self service counters are invariably a mess after a few minutes as not everyone is tidy. This is not to mention the potentially significant health risk implications of such a self service system. Believe it or not, not everyone washes their hands before eating - not even after using the BR :mad:

I have not had lunch on the Sirena as yet but as I understand it there are other items on the lunch menu in addition to JB. Also, every menu has a "healthy options" section.

Hopefully someone from Sirena can confirm this.

And honestly, I wish folks wouldn't 'point' at what they want - waving their hands and arms over all the food being displayed.

I'm okay with people pointing as long as they do it back of the glass guard. The ones that reach in and under the glass, across two pans of food to get within 2 inches of what they want and then point at it leave me shaking my head.

to the OP yes it is true no self serve in the Terrace

I agree with the others just ask for what you want not need to put your hands over the food trays

To the "powers that be"

PLEASE lower the glass to the counter so no fingers can reach under the glass ...the shelf can be lowered so staff can pass the plate over the top & not over the open food tray where who knows what can fall off peoples arms into the food :eek:

Edited by LHT28

Thank you for the info! I agree that people shouldn't be placing arms or hands underneath the glass guards, but pointing may be necessary to clarify a request if there's noise or other communication problems, or if similar items are available (e.g., two types of beans or cherry tomatoes and diced tomatoes).

Is the bistro also open on port days?

To be clear, there is not a separate Bistro restaurant on the Sirena, they are serving a Bistro menu at luncheon in the Grand Dining Room.

The Dining Room does typically serve lunch on port days.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed in our booklet for Sirena next month, they describe the Terrace only for breakfast & lunch, but on past O cruises we have definitely had dinner there. Can anyone who has sailed since Sirena came into the O fleet tell me if they are serving dinner at the Terrace? We really like that option...

Greetings

Just off Sirena last Thursday. Cruise had only one sea day. Bistro was open on boarding day, the sea day, and only 2 port days. MDR was closed for lunch on other days. Bistro menu was the same every day with the addition of "daily specials". Terrace was open every evening for dinner and was busy on most nights.

Good Sailing

Tom