Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage Airport

Walleyetim

How does the Princess transfer from Whittier to the Anchorage airport work? We are picking up a rental car(Alamo) at the airport for week of exploring some of Alaska after our cruise. Does Princess have a transfer that goes directly to the airport? With a Princess transfer, where do we claim our luggage before proceeding to our car rental? Would it be better to arrange the transfer with another transfer company and claim our luggage in Whittier?

Whittier is a small place and you won't find any other transfer companies. If you take the Princess transfer, you will claim your luggage and it will go under the bus, and you reclaim it at the airport. You should go over to the Alaska board under Ports of Call for everything you want to know about Alaska. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The only realistic transfer from Whittier to Anchorage is by bus or train using Princess transfer. We opted for the train which went to the airport and to downtown. We rented our car downtown and possibly avoided airport concession fees. The train ride was in vistadome cars and was really nice. The road goes through a tunnel that is one lane with the train getting the right-of-way while cars/buses wait. Whittier is really really small and their will be pax arriving as well as leaving plus there may be one other ship in port with you so plan for possible congestion.

Whittier is a small place and you won't find any other transfer companies. If you take the Princess transfer, you will claim your luggage and it will go under the bus, and you reclaim it at the airport. You should go over to the Alaska board under Ports of Call for everything you want to know about Alaska. EM

This isn't quite accurate. We went directly from the ship in Whittier to the airport to rent our car and we used Anchorage Tours and Transfers. This worked very well. After picking up our car we drove back south to Seward where we spent a couple of days.

Although we did a direct transfer, they also offer a half day tour between Whittier & Anchorage where they make stops for photographs and also at the Wildlife Conservation Center.

It looks like you can get a 25% discount by booking online. ($30/person) Not sure what Princess charges, but you might save a bit by booking this shuttle on your own.

Whittier is a small place and you won't find any other transfer companies.

The only realistic transfer from Whittier to Anchorage is by bus or train using Princess transfer.

These are a bit misleading. If you look at Norris' recent review, you can see the details of the trip he and Carol took from the ship to Anchorage. It made some scenery and wildlife stops before arriving in Anchorage. Of course, theirs was booked through Princess. But other third party vendors provide the exact same trip (usually for a lesser price). We booked exactly that type of trip before renting our car. We were met by a driver at the terminal, (there will be several tables set up off to one end of the terminal where third party vendors park their representatives). We collected our own luggage that had been deposited in the terminal, and carried it to our large van. (Like a rental car shuttle bus at an airport). We were driven to Anchorage with a scenic stop off and a visit to the same wildlife sanctuary that Norris photographed. From there it was off to the airport. We were dropped off at the departure area, and from there, we went to "arrivals" where Ground Transportation is located and proceeded to pick up our rental car. Real easy.

This isn't quite accurate. We went directly from the ship in Whittier to the airport to rent our car and we used Anchorage Tours and Transfers. This worked very well. After picking up our car we drove back south to Seward where we spent a couple of days.

Although we did a direct transfer, they also offer a half day tour between Whittier & Anchorage where they make stops for photographs and also at the Wildlife Conservation Center.

It looks like you can get a 25% discount by booking online. ($30/person) Not sure what Princess charges, but you might save a bit by booking this shuttle on your own.

The Princess charge is $54 per person.

Norris

We booked the Princess transfer with our cruise. I assumed we just got on the bus and drove straight to Anchorage. Is this not correct? I assumed Norris did a different excursion (I have been following his review). Does the regular Princess transfer make these stops? Can someone tell me approximately how long the transfer takes?

We plan to drive to Seward once we pick up our car in Anchorage so I am curious what time we will be on the road, arrive in Seward, etc.

Edited by Beachiekeen

We booked the Princess transfer with our cruise. I assumed we just got on the bus and drove straight to Anchorage. Is this not correct? I assumed Norris did a different excursion (I have been following his review). Does the regular Princess transfer make these stops? Can someone tell me approximately how long the transfer takes?

We plan to drive to Seward once we pick up our car in Anchorage so I am curious what time we will be on the road, arrive in Seward, etc.

No, the Princess transfer doesn't stop. I took an Anchorage to Whittier one on our first cruise (Coral 2011). It's 65 miles and took about 90 minutes, including the tunnel. The driver tells you what to look out for. We boarded at the Egan Center.

Thanks for reading my review!

Norris

No, the Princess transfer doesn't stop. I took an Anchorage to Whittier one on our first cruise (Coral 2011). It's 65 miles and took about 90 minutes, including the tunnel. The driver tells you what to look out for. We boarded at the Egan Center.

Thanks for reading my review!

Norris

Oh, ok thanks for clarifying. Would you mind sharing the specific excursion you took that does stop? I have been following your review silently from the beginning and have enjoyed it so much!

Thanks for the information. Thanks also for those who have posted trip reports. The trip reports and information are very helpful as we plan our first cruise and on our own Alaska land tour in celebration of our 25th Wedding Anniversary in 2017.

Oh, ok thanks for clarifying. Would you mind sharing the specific excursion you took that does stop? I have been following your review silently from the beginning and have enjoyed it so much!

Oh NM I found it in your review. We are going to do these things on our own on our drive to Seward but it was so helpful to see your review.

I, too, have been following Norris's review. (Thanks Norris for all the wonderful info! :) )

As I was reading that I began doing my own research (Note that our cruise is upcoming so my info is from the internet, not personal experience) I looked at Anchorage Tours and Transfers. They have 3 options - 1. Transfer Only 2. Half Day Transfer and 3. Full Day Tour. The best I could ascertain, it's pretty much the same stops as the Princess tours. They offer a discount if booked online with a promo code and have a 14 day cancellation policy. This is attractive to me since I"m planning this 10 months in advance. We might decide to do something different and I want to be able to change the transportation plan if we do.

I also have been looking at A.C.T. {Alaska Cruise Trans.} Big Bus (alaskacruisetransfer.com) They, too, have 3 options (transfer only, half day and a full day tour with lunch) and will take you to either the airport or hotel however, their cancellation policy is 45 days in advance. (something to think about...) They offer a discount if purchased BEFORE OCTOBER 31!!! Online it says that prices are 25% higher after that.

I'm trying to get my husband to look at both of these (SOON!!!) and take part in the decision making process here...but he's just UNABLE to think about a vacation not happening until 10 months from now. haha! He's got 2 1/2 days to have a voice in this decision!!! (wish me luck Folks!! )

So...yes, there are other options besides just Princess transfers. I haven't read any TripAdvisor reviews on these yet and will do that before making a purchase...and carefully consider the varying cancellation policies...(Like I said, I'm still in the research phase) but maybe this info can help someone....

Edited by rgmacm

We did the same thing as you two years ago. We used a private transfer, perhaps the same as others have mentioned, it cost less than Princess. It will drop you off in Downtown Anchorage or at the airport. Check rental rates, for us it was definitely less to rent downtown, as someone else mentioned there are additional fees when renting at the airport. You just need to taxi it to the airport at the end of your trip, they're not allowed to drop you there.

If you're looking for things to do during your week, check out the Mantanuska glacier. You hike on a glacier with a guide (we used Mica guides) it was a highlight of our trip. We stayed in Palmer the night before we did that.

I recommend taking the Princess train to Anchorage. It takes longer, but it's so relaxing and scenic. The train takes you to the downtown train station. A Princess coach then picks you up there and takes you to the Egan Center (convention center) downtown. You claim your luggage at the Egan Center (it's trucked there overnight), and then you could take a shuttle to the airport or just rent a car downtown. Alternatively, you can take the affordable Princess coach straight to the airport. When you do that, I believe you claim your luggage at the cruise terminal, and it goes under your bus for the trip to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums