Alcohol on board to drink in cabin

Lindypops

Apologies if this is already a thread.

We have booked Dubai to Southampton ***** QM2.

If we buy duty free on the flight out will it be conficated on embarkation?

Has anyone bought alcohol in a port and was that confiscated.

Also i read somewhere they were considering letting guests buy alcohol on board for in room consumption. Has this happened?

Thanks

We have regularly bought alcohol at ports - wine, beer & spirits and never had anything confiscated.

You can buy alcohol for consumption in your cabin but is at Room Service prices not duty free shop prices.

Apologies if this is already a thread.

We have booked Dubai to Southampton ***** QM2.

If we buy duty free on the flight out will it be conficated on embarkation?

Has anyone bought alcohol in a port and was that confiscated.

Also i read somewhere they were considering letting guests buy alcohol on board for in room consumption. Has this happened?

Thanks

Presently Cunard will let you take onboard any amount of the stuff as long as you can carry it. If you drink it in the bars, restaurants or lounges then they will charge corkage.

Are there any issues/restrictions for people arriving in Dubai with alcohol in their luggage, and then taking it to the ship?

I ask because I don't know.

A friend who lived in Dubai some years ago told me stories of buying it as a resident. I don't believe he ever tried to arrive with bottles however.

As others have said, if you buy bottles at ports during your cruise, Cunard are quite relaxed about bring it on board.

Thank you.

Are there any issues/restrictions for people arriving in Dubai with alcohol in their luggage, and then taking it to the ship?

I ask because I don't know.

A friend who lived in Dubai some years ago told me stories of buying it as a resident. I don't believe he ever tried to arrive with bottles however.

As others have said, if you buy bottles at ports during your cruise, Cunard are quite relaxed about bring it on board.

Thank you.

You can either buy duty free before you board your flight to Dubai or you can buy itin the baggage collection hall at Dubai airport.

you are allowed to take in up to 4 litres of spirits/wine.

Residents , i believe, can bring bottles in but have a system for buying bottles when they live there

You can either buy duty free before you board your flight to Dubai or you can buy itin the baggage collection hall at Dubai airport. you are allowed to take in up to 4 litres of spirits/wine. Residents , i believe, can bring bottles in but have a system for buying bottles when they live there
Thank you for that, very helpful of you. More generous limits than I would have imagined. Thanks again :)

Presently Cunard will let you take onboard any amount of the stuff as long as you can carry it. If you drink it in the bars, restaurants or lounges then they will charge corkage.

Is this true for the Queen Elizabeth at Southampton? I read on the website that can only take one bottle for a special occasion. Thanks.

Is this true for the Queen Elizabeth at Southampton? I read on the website that can only take one bottle for a special occasion. Thanks.

Although Cunard says that, they go on to say:

"We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Should you wish to take wine or Champagne on board to consume in a restaurant, each bottle will be subject to a US$20.00 corkage charge. This fee is subject to change."

Although I have never brought more than one bottle of bubbly on board, many others are proud of how much they can carry.:) It doesn't have to be wine.

Cunard has such a liberal policy on personal alcohol, much like it was in the old days when there were no restrictions on any ship - well, any ship I was ever on.

We recently had a cruise on Holland America and experienced what to us was a bizarre experience at security. We had two bottles of bubbly and the woman at security found them immediately in our hand luggage and said we had to take them to a desk. The chap at the desk asked to see them and examined them carefully - probably to make sure I had not substituted gin or a liqueur which is forbidden. Notes were made of our names, stateroom number and what we were bringing on and we were cautioned if we bought anything at a port it would be confiscated and returned later. I had done my homework so was not surprised at this, but it was a new experience for sure.

We are departing from New York and had hoped to take champagne,baileys and brandy on board. Do people think this will be OK?

Should the alcohol be in our cases or in our hand luggage?

A friend of mine had a bottle of champagne in her case on a recent Holland America cruise and it was confiscated. It was returned to her when they arrived in Buenos Aires as it was a special bottle and was a present for someone she was visiting in the city.

We are departing from New York and had hoped to take champagne,baileys and brandy on board. Do people think this will be OK?

Should the alcohol be in our cases or in our hand luggage?

A friend of mine had a bottle of champagne in her case on a recent Holland America cruise and it was confiscated. It was returned to her when they arrived in Buenos Aires as it was a special bottle and was a present for someone she was visiting in the city.

Yes, you can bring anything. There have been postings in the past by people who have carried on a case of their favourite Champagne, scotch, etc. It should be in your hand luggage for safety's sake. I wouldn't want my dinner jacket to smell of gin should the checked luggage be dropped by a porter.:)

Holland America is making a lot of changes, apparently none for the better, causing great annoyance to their regulars. As I had said earlier we had never brought more than one bottle between us on board any ship, but on a recent Holland America cruise we brought our permitted two - just because they were being so silly.

Thanks for all the advice,so just to be clear we can buy alcohol in the duty free shop at Heathrow bring it into New York then take it through the cruise terminal and then on to the ship?

Would not want to buy some bottles at Heathrow only to find it being confiscated as we get on the ship

Thanks

Jo

Thanks that's great news,will not go OTT just in case ....

probert

Go as OTT as you want to - Cunard have never, ever, confiscated any on-board alcohol at embarkation.

I took eight cases of wine on with me last year on one voyage!

andhow

How strict are Southampton on the "no spirits" policy? I would like to take a bottle of red wine and a bottle of port or sherry onboard as they don't offer things like port/sherry in the Grills mini-bar. Has anyone taken a couple of bottles (rather than the quoted one bottle of wine) including port? Does Port classify as a spirit? Thanks.

Edited by new2crooz

probert

Go as OTT as you want to - Cunard have never, ever, confiscated any on-board alcohol at embarkation.

I took eight cases of wine on with me last year on one voyage!

andhow

Wow. Please tell me this was a world cruise and not just a standard crossing :D

Out of interest, how did you transport it to the ship and where did you store it?

I'm taking a nice bottle of port on board in Nov as I fancied a tipple on the balcony in the evening, should be no problem carrying this in the hand luggage according to others on this thread.

My thinking exactly. Indoors if the early winter Siberian winds head in our direction :eek:

• 3 weeks later...