Permission To Take My Granddaughter

GTO-Girl

When doing the online check in I found a "Minor Authorization Form" which give us permission to take our granddaughter on this cruise. There is a place for the parent to sign, but no indication anything further is needed.

On the Disney website under "Required Documentation Requirements", it states if the child is traveling without the parents an original "Notarized" document is required.

So.....do we need to hunt down a Notary? Or is the Minor Authorization Form all I really need? Just don't want any surprises.

Your name (and I would recommend every adult you are traveling with) would go into the second blank field.

The parents of the child(ren) would need to sign the form, and it would have to be done in front of a notary and notarized.

Since it's such a generic form, I would just create your own with the same wording and only required number of spaces. I would also recommend using the name as displayed in everyone's passports.

Here are the forms I give out in addition to anything cruise line specific. The issue is not always the line, ICE can also be fun to deal with...

http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf - Minor Travel Consent.pdf

I am going to take your advice and use the form you provided a link for. I don't want any problems and ICE makes me nervous....LOL

Thanks so much for the form.....

I called Disney and she said the form found on the online check in was all we needed and it did not have to be notarized.

Can I trust them to be giving me the correct information?

I'm quite surprised DCL actually told you that.

If you are flying to port, you may not even get past the the check-in agent at the airport if that note isn't notarized. If an unfortunate situation happens in another port, it could cause a lot of headaches.

Fill out the one posted by DCL. Also fill out the one linked by Loonbeam. Get it notarized.

There is a difference between what is required by DCL and what is required by airlines and other carriers. And then there is what MAY be requested/required by Customs and Immigration.

DCL is correct that all they require is their "Minor Authorization form" which requires the signature of one parent only and does not require notarization.

However....I would strongly suggest that you carry a notarized letter giving you and/or any other adult in your party permission to take the child (named) out of the country for the purpose of a Disney cruise AND giving you permission to make any necessary medical and/or legal decisions on the child's behalf during the dates X thru Y.

Most likely you will never need to show this letter to anyone but if you do, it will save you an infinite amount of hassle.

My bank provides free notary service to anyone with an account.

When it comes to things like this, always better to have and not need then need and not have....

I am going to take your advice and use the form you provided a link for. I don't want any problems and ICE makes me nervous....LOL

Thanks so much for the form.....

• 2 weeks later...

For customs, IF they ask, all custodial parents must sign. A key purpose of the check from their point of view is to be sure a child isn't being taken out of country as a custodial violation.

Do both parents need to sign or just the primary custodial parent? My daughter has primary custody in a joint custody situation.

You need to understand that it is not American Customs and Immigration that are controlling this. It is the laws of each country you are going to visit.

You should call Disney and find out what you need for your particular cruise and get their answer in writing. Then comply with whatever they ask.

Generally you are not going to have a problem with a closed loop cruise unless there is an overnight stay.

I would definitely find out whether they need both parents signatures even in cases where one person has custody. Remember foreign courts do not have to recognize orders from US courts.

For customs, IF they ask, all custodial parents must sign. A key purpose of the check from their point of view is to be sure a child isn't being taken out of country as a custodial violation.

And this is the problem. Customs has NO clear, in print rules as to what is required and most of the time they don't ask. This is especially true at embarkation, which is the time that DCL cares about. DCL wants to be sure you have all the documents needed to leave the US (at which time you normally don't see a Customs agent) and to enter and leave any ports of call.

I found it very odd that the only time I had anything beyond a cursory questioning was when we were re-entering the US...my daughter was asked who I was (my mom) and did she live with me (yes.) I thought it strange because one would think that they would care about this when we were leaving, not re-entering.

All that said, best practice is a notarized letter of authorization with medical and legal permissions signed by both parents. Required? Not by DCL. The closest you can come to that letter, the better. One notarized signature is better than none.

And this is the problem. Customs has NO clear' date=' in print rules as to what is required and most of the time they don't ask. This is especially true at embarkation, which is the time that DCL cares about. DCL wants to be sure you have all the documents needed to leave the US (at which time you normally don't see a Customs agent) and to enter and leave any ports of call.

I found it very odd that the only time I had anything beyond a cursory questioning was when we were re-entering the US...my daughter was asked who I was (my mom) and did she live with me (yes.) I thought it strange because one would think that they would care about this when we were leaving, not re-entering.

All that said, best practice is a notarized letter of authorization with medical and legal permissions signed by both parents. Required? Not by DCL. The closest you can come to that letter, the better. One notarized signature is better than none.[/quote']

Generally you don't see Customs when you embark on a ship therefore there are no rules, that is not their job. . The Cruise line is concerned about the rules and regulations of the COUNTRIES YOU ARE ENTERING and thus it may change depending on where you are going. Most people don't understand this, has nothing to do with US Laws until you come back. You are however correct, best thing to have is a notarized letter signed by both parents with permission to leave the country each and every trip. A passport is not permission to leave the country. You should also have a separate letter for Medical Treatment.

Not entirely true.. about 3 days before sailing a manifest is sent to DHS/ICE/whomever. If anything on that list attracts interest for any reason (which could very well be a minor with a different last name traveling with an adult), either an officer may be dispatched to review or the line may be asked to gather additional information.

I have personally seen a family denied boarding because they did not have authorization to travel from both custodial parents and the other parent could not be reached in time and there was most definitely an ICE officer involved (the volume of the mother in question ensured about half the boarding area was aware of the issue).

Generally you don't see Customs when you embark on a ship therefore there are no rules, that is not their job. . The Cruise line is concerned about the rules and regulations of the COUNTRIES YOU ARE ENTERING and thus it may change depending on where you are going. Most people don't understand this, has nothing to do with US Laws until you come back. You are however correct, best thing to have is a notarized letter signed by both parents with permission to leave the country each and every trip. A passport is not permission to leave the country. You should also have a separate letter for Medical Treatment.

I take my minor grand son with us all the time including cruises and other flights and vacations. We have done the Disney form as well as s medical authorization form. The only question at the airport has been the gate agent and the security people asking him who I was. He's always said grandma and there has never been a problem. But I do have the forms just in case.

Not entirely true.. about 3 days before sailing a manifest is sent to DHS/ICE/whomever. If anything on that list attracts interest for any reason (which could very well be a minor with a different last name traveling with an adult), either an officer may be dispatched to review or the line may be asked to gather additional information.

I have personally seen a family denied boarding because they did not have authorization to travel from both custodial parents and the other parent could not be reached in time and there was most definitely an ICE officer involved (the volume of the mother in question ensured about half the boarding area was aware of the issue).

I agree with you but it is not customs that you see, it is DHS when you leave, customs when you come back.

ICE and CSIS are under DHS so I tend to use them interchangeably, but that's correct, its Homeland Security on departure, Immigration and Customs on arrival supported by DHS agents as needed.

I agree with you but it is not customs that you see, it is DHS when you leave, customs when you come back.

I called Disney about these documents, while one on their website for traveling with minors that you are not the parent or legal guardian, indicates a document requiring it to be notorized. There is also a form on their website that says nothing about the form being notorized.

So my phone call to Disney resulted is this answer, you can use the document that does not require it to be notorized, just the parent/parents signature.

That came directly from Disney. So which is it? Since I am traveling with two minors, non related I will revisit this Disney response prior or departure. I want not glitches on boarding day!!

Edited by kbw1947

I called Disney about these documents, while one on their website for traveling with minors that you are not the parent or legal guardian, indicates a document requiring it to be notorized. There is also a form on their website that says nothing about the form being notorized.

So my phone call to Disney resulted is this answer, you can use the document that does not require it to be notorized, just the parent/parents signature.

That came directly from Disney. So which is it? Since I am traveling with two minors, non related I will revisit this Disney response prior or departure. I want not glitches on boarding day!!

Very simple. As far as DCL is concerned, you can board the ship, disembark and reboard at all ports, and get off the ship at your original port with just the form that requires a signature from one parent and does not need to be notarized. That is the MINIMAL requirement and the one that is enforced by Disney.

HOWEVER, Disney does not control the US government. While it is unlikely, Homeland Security and/or Customs and Immigration can get involved in your leaving or re-entering the US and can ask for additional documentation. It is not likely to happen, but it can. BEST PRACTICE is to have a notarized letter signed by both parents giving you permission to take the children as well as to make any medical and legal decisions on their behalf. Put the letter with your important documents and produce it only if needed. The closer you can come to this, the better if asked. As noted, it is very rare that you will be asked for this documentation, but all it takes is a well publicized child abduction case to have high alert at the port. You can get the documentation well in advance and relax or you can skip it and hope for the best. But you did say that you want to avoid glitches.

Quoting and pasting just to reemphasize. There is Disney and there is US Customs and Immigration plus those at each port.

Very simple. As far as DCL is concerned' date=' you can board the ship, disembark and reboard at all ports, and get off the ship at your original port with just the form that requires a signature from one parent and does not need to be notarized. That is the MINIMAL requirement and the one that is enforced by Disney.

HOWEVER, Disney does not control the US government. While it is unlikely, Homeland Security and/or Customs and Immigration can get involved in your leaving or re-entering the US and can ask for additional documentation. It is not likely to happen, but it can. BEST PRACTICE is to have a notarized letter signed by both parents giving you permission to take the children as well as to make any medical and legal decisions on their behalf. Put the letter with your important documents and produce it only if needed. The closer you can come to this, the better if asked. As noted, it is very rare that you will be asked for this documentation, but all it takes is a well publicized child abduction case to have high alert at the port. You can get the documentation well in advance and relax or you can skip it and hope for the best. But you did say that you want to avoid glitches.[/quote']

I am the orignal OP that started this thread and I took the advice of Loonbeam and moki'smommy!!!!

I got the Disney form signed and I also printed the great form supplied in the link from Loonbeam. I had both parents sign each one and had both notarized.

May be overkill....but I am not taking any chances.....:D:D

Edited by GTO-Girl