Mexico

jamesnnb

We were notified by the State Department today about what's going on in PV. I think the point is to be smart about your travels, rather than to downplay what's going on. We are still undecided as to what we're going to do.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post links and info on what's going on down there...

This attack by a newer, emerging cartel on an expensive helicopter really got the Army mad. It looks like they are sending in more firepower to combat the last head on the hydra that breeds the Mexican drug cartels.

Here is an article in Spanish from a Mexican Newspaper:

http://www.milenio.com/policia/convoy-militares-operativo-Jalisco_Seguro-san_cat_0_512349164.html

You can get an idea by putting the text into a web translation tool.

I still doubt you'll see much in PV. However, it is always a good idea to keep your wits about you when visiting just about any part of Mexico.

Please note that all that you are talking about in Puerto Vallarta took place on May 1 ONLY DURING THE MORNING!

After that all came back to and still is normal.

Unfortunately the press loves to report (and often repeat this again, also when it is long over) anything bad in Mexico.

Again nothing going on anymore in Vallarta. Business as usual.

This attack by a newer, emerging cartel on an expensive helicopter really got the Army mad. It looks like they are sending in more firepower to combat the last head on the hydra that breeds the Mexican drug cartels.

Here is an article in Spanish from a Mexican Newspaper:

http://www.milenio.com/policia/convoy-militares-operativo-Jalisco_Seguro-san_cat_0_512349164.html

You can get an idea by putting the text into a web translation tool.

I still doubt you'll see much in PV. However, it is always a good idea to keep your wits about you when visiting just about any part of Mexico.

You can never be too careful when visiting any part of Mexico. Thank you for this information. We have a wedding in Mexico. Still not sure if we're going. If the wedding was in Grand Cayman, we wouldn't be worried.

I do agree ... probably nothing will go on in PV while we are visiting, if we go, but you can never be too careful when visiting any part of the world that has conflict going on and Mexico has a lot of problems. If the State Department issued a warning, I am going to believe them and be careful. If they said "don't go," we definitely wouldn't be going there. I do feel for the people there because tourism is a big part of Mexico's economy, but I am not going to risk my well being for a vacation. Mexico isn't the only place I worry about these days. I would love to go to Egypt, but that's out of the question right now. And there are other places we won't visit.

Unfortunately the press loves to report (and often repeat this again, also when it is long over) anything bad in Mexico.

Again nothing going on anymore in Vallarta. Business as usual.

In my mind, the US press, largely ignores Mexico. They report on the headlines but nothing of substance within the country.

The Mexican media has historically been part of the government machine and really doesn't report much. This is changing ever so slowly.

Hopefully Jalisco doesn't go the way of Guerrero with violence invading tourist areas like it has in Acapulco. I don't think it will as Jalisco is a much more prosperous state than Guerrero and somewhat less corrupt.

You can never be too careful when visiting any part of Mexico. Thank you for this information. We have a wedding in Mexico. Still not sure if we're going. If the wedding was in Grand Cayman, we wouldn't be worried.

I do agree ... probably nothing will go on in PV while we are visiting, if we go, but you can never be too careful when visiting any part of the world that has conflict going on and Mexico has a lot of problems. If the State Department issued a warning, I am going to believe them and be careful. If they said "don't go," we definitely wouldn't be going there. I do feel for the people there because tourism is a big part of Mexico's economy, but I am not going to risk my well being for a vacation. Mexico isn't the only place I worry about these days. I would love to go to Egypt, but that's out of the question right now. And there are other places we won't visit.

The vast, vast majority of tourists visiting Mexico never have any problems. Just show common sense. Fortunately, most of the violence is really directed mostly internally and not at foreigners. Crime against foreigners exists, but it is avoidable by showing common sense.

I wouldn't put Egypt and Mexico on the same level. Egypt is in a state of partial revolution. A significant segment of the population angry at the west for economic, political and religious reasons. Contrast this with Mexico. Almost everyone living in Mexico has one or more relatives/friends living in the US - even the cartel members. On a personal basis we are friends and for the most part are culturally aligned. No comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

I post this story from Friday's Wall Street Journal for those who scoff at any news from Mexico about violence as being poor or exaggerated reporting. While we can all be grateful that this is not happening near the usual cruise ports of call in Mexico, it is nevertheless troubling. I have a good number of friends who have retired to Lake Chapala, and I know they are very concerned about the current trend towards increased violence in their adopted country.

Gunfight Between Police and Gang in Mexico Leaves at Least 43 Dead

One officer, 42 suspected gunmen die in clash with alleged members of Jalisco New Generation drug cartel

Mexican security forces killed at least 42 suspected gang gunmen in a three-hour battle Friday in the state of Michoacán, the government’s federal security commissioner said.

The incident is the deadliest in a string of clashes this spring between security forces and gunmen linked to a local narcotics cartel in Western Mexico.

One federal policeman was killed and at least one other injured in the confrontation, which took place in at least three distinct locations on a large ranch near the town of Tanhuato, near the eastern shore of Lake Chapala, an area popular with retirees from the U.S. and elsewhere.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gunfight-in-mexico-leaves-at-least-45-dead-1432325854?KEYWORDS=lake+chapala+mexico

I post this story from Friday's Wall Street Journal for those who scoff at any news from Mexico about violence as being poor or exaggerated reporting. While we can all be grateful that this is not happening near the usual cruise ports of call in Mexico, it is nevertheless troubling. I have a good number of friends who have retired to Lake Chapala, and I know they are very concerned about the current trend towards increased violence in their adopted country.

Gunfight Between Police and Gang in Mexico Leaves at Least 43 Dead

One officer, 42 suspected gunmen die in clash with alleged members of Jalisco New Generation drug cartel

Mexican security forces killed at least 42 suspected gang gunmen in a three-hour battle Friday in the state of Michoacán, the government’s federal security commissioner said.

The incident is the deadliest in a string of clashes this spring between security forces and gunmen linked to a local narcotics cartel in Western Mexico.

One federal policeman was killed and at least one other injured in the confrontation, which took place in at least three distinct locations on a large ranch near the town of Tanhuato, near the eastern shore of Lake Chapala, an area popular with retirees from the U.S. and elsewhere.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gunfight-in-mexico-leaves-at-least-45-dead-1432325854?KEYWORDS=lake+chapala+mexico

Yes, and this is as relevant as the latest news of 9 killed and 42 wounded in Chicago (so far this weekend). While it is true that Lake Chapala is a popular area with expat retirees, this did not involve any expats or tourists. And it happened in a totally different State then Jalisco and is nowhere close to PV or any other port. By your reasoning folks should stay far away from Wisconsin because of the daily violence in Chicago. Personally as one who lives in PV a couple of months a year we find this news a positive development as it does seem like the current government administration is willing to take-on the cartels. With the near daily violence in places like Chicago and Detroit one wonder why nobody in our country is willing to deal with violent gangs in an effective manner.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

And no tourists or locals involved in Puerto Vallarta or other ports in those Mexican shootings...as Hank mentions.

Edited by Ine

We were on a Celebrity cruise due to call into PV on Sunday May 10th. The port was cancelled and Jewel of the Seas and a Disney ship also skipped the stop. A Carnival ship did stop as scheduled, I believe that it is a weekly stop for this ship.

Again, the unrest was given as the reason although as stated it happened on the 1st and by the following Tuesday, everything was quiet again!

We love PV and visit quite frequently and have never felt unsafe. Treat it the same as any large city, with respect to safety, and enjoy :).

We are due to do an overnight stop there in December whilst on the Pacific Princess.

Edited by downsmead

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, and this is as relevant as the latest news of 9 killed and 42 wounded in Chicago (so far this weekend). While it is true that Lake Chapala is a popular area with expat retirees, this did not involve any expats or tourists. And it happened in a totally different State then Jalisco and is nowhere close to PV or any other port. By your reasoning folks should stay far away from Wisconsin because of the daily violence in Chicago. Personally as one who lives in PV a couple of months a year we find this news a positive development as it does seem like the current government administration is willing to take-on the cartels. With the near daily violence in places like Chicago and Detroit one wonder why nobody in our country is willing to deal with violent gangs in an effective manner.

Hank

When gun fire from Chicago gangs brings down a police helicopter, or federal troops are called in to Detroit to engage a gang in a firefight, I will take notice of these types of frivolous comparisons.

When gun fire from Chicago gangs brings down a police helicopter, or federal troops are called in to Detroit to engage a gang in a firefight, I will take notice of these types of frivolous comparisons.

It is your personal choice to be afraid if you choose to do so.

It is also within others' rights to visit their chosen ports without fear.

A couple of years ago a European friend pointed out that his country had travel cautions/warnings for U.S. travel.

Be a prudent and careful traveler but don't stay home. The world is a better place because we travel and experience other countries.

It is your personal choice to be afraid if you choose to do so.

It is also within others' rights to visit their chosen ports without fear.

I choose to be informed of what dangers exist in countries before I make decisions about my travel plans there. I am still planning to visit Mexico again as I have very dear friends who live there and places I have not yet seen.

However, I also plan to be careful about where I go and when, based on what media, embassy and friends report.

We all have different levels of risk we are willing to take. Mine may be less than some, and more than others.

All I know is the following facts:

- Mexico is a more violent and lawless country than Canada and the US.

- Embassies have issued travel warnings about certain parts of Mexico at various times.

- Cruise lines have stopped calling at some ports for periods of time, including Acapulco.

- We should all make travel decisions based on the most current information, and within our personal risk limits.

Otherwise, please enjoy whatever you decide is best for you. I certainly will.

I choose to be informed of what dangers exist in countries before I make decisions about my travel plans there. I am still planning to visit Mexico again as I have very dear friends who live there and places I have not yet seen.

However, I also plan to be careful about where I go and when, based on what media, embassy and friends report.

We all have different levels of risk we are willing to take. Mine may be less than some, and more than others.

All I know is the following facts:

- Mexico is a more violent and lawless country than Canada and the US.

- Embassies have issued travel warnings about certain parts of Mexico at various times.

- Cruise lines have stopped calling at some ports for periods of time, including Acapulco.

- We should all make travel decisions based on the most current information, and within our personal risk limits.

Otherwise, please enjoy whatever you decide is best for you. I certainly will.

I totally agree! It's up to each of us to do what works best for us. We take these warnings seriously. The violence associated with the drug cartel in Mexico is worrisome, for me and my family. There are so many places to visit in the world, that for the time being, we've put Mexico on the back burner.

Everyone should perform their research and decide for themselves where to travel. Those who will have you believe that life is idyllic in Mexico, that they “feel safe” and that those who choose not to go are “fearful” is silly.

Many tourists have enjoyed Mexico even though the government is trying to discourage tourism in that country.

I feel comfortable in my decision to enjoy the ports in Mexico, and I am sure those who are afraid to go there are as comfortable with their decisions.

I have made many many trips to several ports in Mexico, and the last time I checked, I found no bullet holes in my body.

Many tourists have enjoyed Mexico even though the government is trying to discourage tourism in that country.

I feel comfortable in my decision to enjoy the ports in Mexico, and I am sure those who are afraid to go there are as comfortable with their decisions.

Looking forward to our next winterstay in Puerto Vallarta. We certainly will not stay just there but like any year make a trip to another part of Mexico. We have shown friends around that were surprised by the friendly people, its culture etc. all without any fear.

I know this discussion keeps coming up, throwing numbers around, but at the same time making no difference between tourists, gangwars, druglords, highschool shootings and a lot more that is happening now or recently elsewhere in the world.