Carnival Glory NEW Past Guest Party

Elaine515

Hi everyone.. As promised, back from our Carnival Glory May 16th cruise and while I'm not going to write an official review, we had a great time... This is the 1st time they held the Past Guest Party for Platinum and Diamond passengers only....

What I am going to tell you about is as promised, the Past Guest Party. It was, and according to the CD Adam, will always be held on the last day (Friday @ 5:15 in the Ebony Cabaret Aft Lounge which is also where they have the Comedy Show.

The Carnival Glory this week had approximately 3000 passengers with 1100 of them being newbies, 133 Platinum and 7 Diamond. That means approximately 1760 Past Guest that were not included.

There are 2 entrances to the Ebony Cabaret and both were manned with Carnival Staff as well as the CD checking/asking for everyone's invitation. They took our invites and gave us all beads to wear around our neck. As info, just the name of the Platinum or Diamond member is printed on the invitation and there is no mention of AND GUEST and they didn't allow anyone to bring one in with them.

There was a live band with 2 singers and some dancing by the guests. We counted 61 people in the room, 4 servers and 3 bartenders. We were allowed and did order anything we wanted to drink with no problem at all. The servers came around with some appetizers which were Tart with tiny bay shrimp, California roll sushi slice, Black bean and rice thing and teeny tiny pulled pork sandwiches. Nothing to write home about.

Adam did a welcome speech and then introduced ALL the officers and the Captain did speak a few words. Only 4 of the Diamond Passengers were there, introduced with the # of days they had, and they, along with all the Officers took a picture on stage. Glenn, the Diamond Passenger who resembles Elvis Presley (maybe he really isn't dead and is cruising on Carnival !!) with 544 days also sang for us an Elvis song.... totally not needed :(

Did I like it? Yes and No... The fact the we could get food, drinks and seats was very nice but it didn't really feel like a "party"... Most people sat with whoever they were with and there was no mingling. And yes, there were a couple of single people sitting by themselves.

We got to see the same movie that they always show at the Past Guest Party and we got to clap for the ships we were on.

In closing, the time and day could be a little bit better. I enjoyed the "feeling special" part but seriously missed the true excitement of a party.... We were also told that they are still working on it and the "real and new changes" should be ready in a month.

But the one thing that they did check, and did make very clear, no guests would be allowed into the party without an invitation.....

Edited by Elaine515

Thanks for posting. I got off Glory the 16th and was on the last cruise before they changed it. I am Gold and not too pleased with this latest change. With that being said, our party was scheduled for the day we were in Roatan and after spending all day on shore, I needed to take a shower and get ready for dinner so I didn't have time to go. Why in the world would they pick that day?! Maybe to cut down on the amount of people going?

Would have been nice if I could have attended my last one for a while, but I kind of feel like they did it on purpose. Strange that now all of a sudden it's on the last day which is almost always a sea day.

Whatever. I'm over the whole degradation of the Gold Status thing. It won't ruin my life, but it sure does make me feel a like they don't give a rat's behind about their Gold Members. Just my two cents.

Oddly someone from the Freedom new party just posted that they were allowed to bring two blue cruisers with them... it is obviously going to be a matter of what ship and who is running it...

Hopefully there are other changes coming.. the old party was nice for some drinks but i too am bored with the whole clap for your ship thing.. Im sure that new cruisers enjoy that... i know i did then.. it was fun... but i am looking forward to the new format....

Hi everyone.. As promised, back from our Carnival Glory May 16th cruise and while I'm not going to write an official review, we had a great time... This is the 1st time they held the Past Guest Party for Platinum and Diamond passengers only....

What I am going to tell you about is as promised, the Past Guest Party. It was, and according to the CD Adam, will always be held on the last day (Friday @ 5:15 in the Ebony Cabaret Aft Lounge which is also where they have the Comedy Show.

The Carnival Glory this week had approximately 3000 passengers with 1100 of them being newbies, 133 Platinum and 7 Diamond. That means approximately 1760 Past Guest that were not included.

There are 2 entrances to the Ebony Cabaret and both were manned with Carnival Staff as well as the CD checking/asking for everyone's invitation. They took our invites and gave us all beads to wear around our neck. As info, just the name of the Platinum or Diamond member is printed on the invitation and there is no mention of AND GUEST and they didn't allow anyone to bring one in with them.

There was a live band with 2 singers and some dancing by the guests. We counted 61 people in the room, 4 servers and 3 bartenders. We were allowed and did order anything we wanted to drink with no problem at all. The servers came around with some appetizers which were Tart with tiny bay shrimp, California roll sushi slice, Black bean and rice thing and teeny tiny pulled pork sandwiches. Nothing to write home about.

Adam did a welcome speech and then introduced ALL the officers and the Captain did speak a few words. Only 4 of the Diamond Passengers were there, introduced with the # of days they had, and they, along with all the Officers took a picture on stage. Glenn, the Diamond Passenger who resembles Elvis Presley (maybe he really isn't dead and is cruising on Carnival !!) with 544 days also sang for us an Elvis song.... totally not needed :(

Did I like it? Yes and No... The fact the we could get food, drinks and seats was very nice but it didn't really feel like a "party"... Most people sat with whoever they were with and there was no mingling. And yes, there were a couple of single people sitting by themselves.

We got to see the same movie that they always show at the Past Guest Party and we got to clap for the ships we were on.

In closing, the time and day could be a little bit better. I enjoyed the "feeling special" part but seriously missed the true excitement of a party.... We were also told that they are still working on it and the "real and new changes" should be ready in a month.

But the one thing that they did check, and did make very clear, no guests would be allowed into the party without an invitation.....

Wow. It sounds like that whole thing amounts to being statistically insignificant across the board.

4.6% of overall passengers invited (qualified), and 2.03% attended.

Live muisc for a few minutes then speeches, and a private karaoke session.

What a way to end a cruise! All for the sake of 2%.

Hasty decisions/implementations to say the least.

Edited by eponym

Interesting that the party is at 5:15pm on the last cruising day. That clearly matches up to the drink coupon that Golds now get. Also interesting that the people that said they attended the party did not complain that they would be packing and couldn't attend like those who complained that they would be packing and wouldn't be able to use their free drink coupon. Hmmmmm!

I also find the last day timing as weird... it should be a welcome back to past guests... at the beginning of the cruise.. not at the end... kind of takes away from the party thing, as the party is over at the end:rolleyes:

I totally agree. Watch, this party will go by the way side, just like the farewell party did. Last night, everyone is busy packing. What a joke.:rolleyes:

Hi Elaine,

I know you have mentioned in the past that your parents are Diamond. Did they have the Diamond party on the same day, at a later time?

2 weeks ago when we were on the Glory, this is how they scheduled it. 4:45-5:15 for the Gold, Platinum and Diamond Party and then the Diamond Party @ 7:15.

Definitely not cool. DH and a friend told Pire, the HD that it was poor scheduling. It was like having one party only.

This has happened only on the Glory. The G, P & D was less fun on the Glory than on other ships so maybe the fun you missed is missing on the Glory. Most other ships throw the Mardi Gras beads out and have dancing with the band etc. not on the Glory. The fun was not there.

Interesting that the party is at 5:15pm on the last cruising day. That clearly matches up to the drink coupon that Golds now get. Also interesting that the people that said they attended the party did not complain that they would be packing and couldn't attend like those who complained that they would be packing and wouldn't be able to use their free drink coupon. Hmmmmm!

According to OP's information less than 50% of the invites showed up. Not sure what conclusions you are drawing or spinning.

I say good for the change--smaller crowd in the long run will be a positive change---you've earned it.

No matter what night Carnival picks to hold it, there are going to be people that are ok with it, and people that aren't.

Have fun----make the most of it!!

Hi Elaine,

I know you have mentioned in the past that your parents are Diamond. Did they have the Diamond party on the same day, at a later time?

2 weeks ago when we were on the Glory, this is how they scheduled it. 4:45-5:15 for the Gold, Platinum and Diamond Party and then the Diamond Party @ 7:15.

Definitely not cool. DH and a friend told Pire, the HD that it was poor scheduling. It was like having one party only.

This has happened only on the Glory. The G, P & D was less fun on the Glory than on other ships so maybe the fun you missed is missing on the Glory. Most other ships throw the Mardi Gras beads out and have dancing with the band etc. not on the Glory. The fun was not there.

The Diamond Party was actually held at 7:15 on Thursday night in the Ivy Lounge, which was the Old Cigar Bar. They left dinner without desert that night :( Drinks flowed, and lots of pastries my Dad said. Of the 7 Diamonds on board, 5 showed up for that one.

Just off the Breeze today and our VIFP party for Platinum and Diamond was just as described by OP. It was held 5:15 to 6:00 in the Lime Light Lounge on the last sea day. Officers, the CD, and Captain greeted us as we entered and we were given beads. They did ask for our invitations as we entered. The invitation did not say we could bring guests. We really enjoyed it much better than the previous parties. It was a much smaller crowd. Drinks and snacks were plentiful!

I sailed "Valor" April 17th, before the change. The "repeat offenders party" as I like to call it, was held in the BIG theater, and there was standing room only! I had a difficult time getting even one drink, and the food was few, and far between. I look forward to the change, and frankly, one drink coupon amounts to about what you'd get if you attended the party, only you don't have to put up with the crowds, and the stupid slide show. ;) They held the "Diamond" get together in the piano bar, and with 40+ diamond passengers, we had standing room only at that party as well. :eek:

"SKY"

M glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this is the most idiotic time to have a past guest party. It should be early in the cruise to meet, mingle, and get to know other guests that have cruised multiple times before.

Looks like this is another set up to ultimately cancel it due to poor turn out.

Wake up cruisers. They're pulling another fast one.

The Diamond Party was actually held at 7:15 on Thursday night in the Ivy Lounge, which was the Old Cigar Bar. They left dinner without desert that night :( Drinks flowed, and lots of pastries my Dad said. Of the 7 Diamonds on board, 5 showed up for that one.

I forgot that there is 2 parties for Diamond passengers. Sounds like it went from fun ship to dumb ship. Does everyone that turns diamond become social mongers bursting with outgoing personalities?

Edited by eponym

M glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks this is the most idiotic time to have a past guest party. It should be early in the cruise to meet, mingle, and get to know other guests that have cruised multiple times before.

Looks like this is another set up to ultimately cancel it due to poor turn out.

Wake up cruisers. They're pulling another fast one.

Take some action Next time fill out your comment card post cruise and suggest it ..

I love your assumptions that it will be canceled because of turn out.

I am very awake and don's see what you are seeing....

I forgot that there is 2 parties for Diamond passengers. Sounds like it went from fun ship to dumb ship. Does everyone that turns diamond become social mongers bursting with outgoing personalities?

LOL I am a social butterfly and love to meet people no matter what status.

sounds like the fun farewell party! Wonder how long it will take before it too goes away. Or...the platinums who are such a growing group, can start showing up by the droves, just to ensure the party goes on for us poor golds who are striving for some recognition (insert sarcasm)! I am not holding my breath.