P&O Cruise to Norway

We have just received tickets for our cruise on Arcadia to Norway in September. Just wanted to check if there are any extra charges (excluding the tips of £6 pp per day which we have opted into). We have been told by friends there is also a 15% service charge on drinks, spa, excursions etc. Would be grateful for any clarification please as can't find anything on P&O website.

P&O do not add a 15% service charge to anything on board, unlike most American ships. The price on the drinks menu is the price you pay, the same in the shops. The only time I think things are slightly different is if the ship is in Spanish waters when, I believe, a VAT charge is added to goods purchased on board - can't remember how much that is. Other than that, no extra charge. Your friend can't have been on P&O or they are muddling it up with other cruise lines - including Cunard.

No service charge on P&O, unless in Spanish waters. There is no need to carry cash on board, you just give over your cruise card for drinks and anything else you buy on-board and these go onto your account which is automatically settled at the end of your cruise via your credit card which you give over when you check in. You get a copy of your account on your last evening, but get a copy from reception a few days before just to check all is OK.

I should have added that you should remember the Spanish tax if booking any of the speciality restaurants while on the ship as the tax hits the food bill as well as wine etc if you are still in dock.

If you pay in advance in the uk through your cruise personaliser then there is no extra 10 %.

On shore in Norway the shops etc do however charge £1.50 per transaction on a debit cards.

If it was a charge put on by the shops then it would be in Kroner. I suspect the £1.50 is a "foreign transaction" charge put on by your bank.

Brian

Wasn't our experience either in Norway and have been there three times now...

Recently? We have not had this in the past either.

As I say it may just be the specific bank / shops if others have not experienced this.

I should have added that you should remember the Spanish tax if booking any of the speciality restaurants while on the ship as the tax hits the food bill as well as wine etc if you are still in dock.

If you pay in advance in the uk through your cruise personaliser then there is no extra 10 %.

I had absolutely no idea about the Spanish tax, that will hit us on our next cruise. I've booked some restaurants in advance but not all of them as we've got £900 OBS - I will have to take another look!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had absolutely no idea about the Spanish tax, that will hit us on our next cruise. I've booked some restaurants in advance but not all of them as we've got £900 OBS - I will have to take another look!

It depends what time you leave port Florry. If the ship leaves before dinner then it does not apply, I think the ship has to be so far out before it stops but the staff can tell you.

Lots of people get caught out if they have drinks with lunch, just before sailaways or tapas at the Glass House at lunchtime and incur the extra 10%. It shows up on your bill as "local tax".

But as you are going to Norway totally irrelevant:)

On shore in Norway the shops etc do however charge £1.50 per transaction on a debit cards.

Just returned from Norway and used my Halifax Clarity CC for transactions at cafés, shops and for the HoHo. Not a debit card, but no charges on that and on checking the exchange rate on one day I got 10.81 NOK: £ which compares with 10.23 NOK:£ at M&S (card holder's rate) just before we left. Of course there may well have been a little variation in the exchange rate in the intervening days but no charges whatsoever even for relatively small transactions for coffees etc. May be worth considering getting or using such a card in preference to a debit card.

Can I use this thread to ask for clarification on the Spanish tax? Is that on top of VAT, so 30% tax? Or instead of VAT?

First cruise and my itinerary has 2 Spanish ports so would be good to know.

Instead, only 10% added and then only when in port (or just out of).

Just returned from Norway and used my Halifax Clarity CC for transactions at cafés, shops and for the HoHo. Not a debit card, but no charges on that and on checking the exchange rate on one day I got 10.81 NOK: £ which compares with 10.23 NOK:£ at M&S (card holder's rate) just before we left. Of course there may well have been a little variation in the exchange rate in the intervening days but no charges whatsoever even for relatively small transactions for coffees etc. May be worth considering getting or using such a card in preference to a debit card.

Thanks Kruzseeka, will consider that for the next time.

Thanks Kruzseeka, will consider that for the next time.

Another benefit is that you can withdraw money from an ATM with no transaction charge and again with near perfect exchange rates. Martin Lewis always recommends this card for foreign travel. Interest isn't charged until the due payment date except on ATM cash withdrawals which accrue interest from the day of withdrawal. But at an interest rate of just over 1% p.m. it compares very well with bank cards which have a % or worse still a flat rate transaction charge for ATMs irrespective of the amount taken out. (Bit rich if it's a £2.50 charge on a £10 cash withdrawal!). I try to remember to pay up as soon as we get home and therefore pay next to nothing in interest. The only problem is I think it might be too good to last and I keep thinking the bank will change the T&Cs. But it's definitely worth thinking about.

It depends what time you leave port Florry. If the ship leaves before dinner then it does not apply, I think the ship has to be so far out before it stops but the staff can tell you.

Lots of people get caught out if they have drinks with lunch, just before sailaways or tapas at the Glass House at lunchtime and incur the extra 10%. It shows up on your bill as "local tax".

Thank you!

We have three CCs that make no foreign transaction charges, including a Halifax Clarity. We were in Norway in June and had no Norwegian Krone at all. Even used cards in the market.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And it's so useful too if you are on a cruise and visiting quite a few countries with different currencies - some perhaps for only one day. If you can get by on a card then you don't end up with small amounts of multiple currencies at the end of your cruise.

And it's so useful too if you are on a cruise and visiting quite a few countries with different currencies - some perhaps for only one day. If you can get by on a card then you don't end up with small amounts of multiple currencies at the end of your cruise.

You are right. We didn't change any currency for our Baltic cruise either, two years ago.

Living in central London we are used to a cashless society.