Back from the Summit

Corgis mom

I posted a "live from the Summit" thread' but wasn't able to continue because of both my ineptitude, and poor internet reception. I once had seven minutes left, and thought I would down load some e-mail, and I didn't get anything.

Anyway, I did see some questions, and will try to answer them, now.

Trivia. Plenty. Sometimes 3 or 4 a day. Different venues. Karaoke: the way they do it is they have about three sessions to get finalists for the grand ending Karaoke. Again, different venues. If you feel you will miss dinner, just tell Justin, or whoever, and they will put you on first.

Classic drink package. GREAT ! We drink Absolut Gimlets, Jim Beam Manhattans, and Drambuie. All are on the classic package.

We enjoy Revelations. I like the vibe, love the bartenders, and it is flies to the MDR.

Now, this is just us, and don't flame me...my husband really said this...the best thing about this cruise is that we are NOT in a suite. We could see the menus to Lumina, since they were posted outside the restaurant, appetizers, chicken liver custard, Burrata, wild mushroom consumme, and, grilled Mediterranean octopus.

Entrees, Ricotta cavatella with duck, Peppered Tuna, Roasted Chicken Breast, Braised short ribs, and Thai green vegetable curry.

Deserts were Chocolate tart, cheesecake, and Coconut Cremiux.

Now...the Short ribs are good. And rich. They are served Tuesdays as an appetizer, (smaller portion), and Thursdays as an entree, larger portion. We were there on a b2b, and that was the way, both weeks.

I had a fellow start talking to me when we were both sitting down. He asked me if it was my first Celebrity cruise. I said no. He then asked if I thought the food had gone down a bit. I agreed. That being said, the buffet is better than it has been in the past. The rum coconut cake, served near the end of the cruise is very good.

In the MDR, second week, no escargot. The truck carrying it got into an accident on the way to the pier. They also were carrying the bottled water, no biggie, we just got different brands. But...they also were carrying the tote bags. So, no tote bags that week. Life goes on.

Oh, the lobster, had very little flavor. I thought that the first week, May 10, and ordered the beef Wellington week two, May 17. I over heard two different people say it had no flavor...their words. Beef Wellington was good.

As a side note, it is amazing how much less you eat on week two. Can't tell you why, just is.

Bermuda is great. Took the trolley around dockyard once, not getting off to take pictures.

Look for the chickens in the front of the pharmacy. :)

Two weeks, two different sides facing the Dockyard

What did we spend OBC on? We bought an iPad mini 3 week one, and the cover, plastic thing to cover the face, and some cables, and the Apple t.v., on week two, plus the Canon, SX 710 HS camera.

Oh...if you are mobility impaired...getting on is no big deal. Enter the lobby, check in, up a big escalator, or there is an elevator, cross the 50' gang plank, and you are on. Getting off, get a wheel chair. It is a long walk. Reason? You have to go past the luggage staging area, (you don't see it), and finally out to the puck up area. Then customs. At customs, let go of the wheelchair, you are steps from seating for van pick up, or close to the shuttle. Have one person take the shuttle to get the car. About 10 minutes later they are in front. Plenty of room out front to load.

When you arrive, it now looks like an airport, with only one big entrance, as they only do one ship at a time. Very nice.

The shuttle takes you to the old parking lot.

That is about it. Boy does the grass grow in two weeks!

Did they have movies on an open deck? If so,what did they show? Was the solarium pool warm? Was the martini bar crowded?

Glad you had a good cruise. What was the weather like in Bermuda and how was the water if you went in?

Thanks.

Laura

Did they have movies on an open deck? If so,what did they show? Was the solarium pool warm? Was the martini bar crowded?

Glad you had a good cruise. What was the weather like in Bermuda and how was the water if you went in?

Thanks.

Laura

We just got off the Summit yesterday, and they had a couple of movies under the stars - we didn't make it to any of the movies, but I will post the movies later when I take a look at the dailies.

The solarium pool was VERY warm - too warm for me. It was somewhere between a warm pool and a hot tub temperature.

The Martini Bar was VERY crowded just before dinner. We didn't really use it, and instead went to the Rendez-Vous Lounge most evenings.

Weather in Bermuda was perfect - upper 70's and the water was a little on the cool side, but perfect for this North-easterner :) Once you got into the ocean, it just took a minute to get used to the water. We really enjoyed the coves past Horseshoe Beach.

Trivia was FUN - it's one of the things we really enjoy. I played just about all trivia games, except a few when we were exploring Bermuda. I was lucky enough to meet up with others who also enjoyed trivia, and we all played whenever we could.

Edited by DinaS

I posted a "live from the Summit" thread' but wasn't able to continue because of both my ineptitude, and poor internet reception. I once had seven minutes left, and thought I would down load some e-mail, and I didn't get anything.

Anyway, I did see some questions, and will try to answer them, now.

Trivia. Plenty. Sometimes 3 or 4 a day. Different venues. Karaoke: the way they do it is they have about three sessions to get finalists for the grand ending Karaoke. Again, different venues. If you feel you will miss dinner, just tell Justin, or whoever, and they will put you on first.

Classic drink package. GREAT ! We drink Absolut Gimlets, Jim Beam Manhattans, and Drambuie. All are on the classic package.

We enjoy Revelations. I like the vibe, love the bartenders, and it is flies to the MDR.

Now, this is just us, and don't flame me...my husband really said this...the best thing about this cruise is that we are NOT in a suite. We could see the menus to Lumina, since they were posted outside the restaurant, appetizers, chicken liver custard, Burrata, wild mushroom consumme, and, grilled Mediterranean octopus.

Entrees, Ricotta cavatella with duck, Peppered Tuna, Roasted Chicken Breast, Braised short ribs, and Thai green vegetable curry.

Deserts were Chocolate tart, cheesecake, and Coconut Cremiux.

Now...the Short ribs are good. And rich. They are served Tuesdays as an appetizer, (smaller portion), and Thursdays as an entree, larger portion. We were there on a b2b, and that was the way, both weeks.

I had a fellow start talking to me when we were both sitting down. He asked me if it was my first Celebrity cruise. I said no. He then asked if I thought the food had gone down a bit. I agreed. That being said, the buffet is better than it has been in the past. The rum coconut cake, served near the end of the cruise is very good.

In the MDR, second week, no escargot. The truck carrying it got into an accident on the way to the pier. They also were carrying the bottled water, no biggie, we just got different brands. But...they also were carrying the tote bags. So, no tote bags that week. Life goes on.

Oh, the lobster, had very little flavor. I thought that the first week, May 10, and ordered the beef Wellington week two, May 17. I over heard two different people say it had no flavor...their words. Beef Wellington was good.

As a side note, it is amazing how much less you eat on week two. Can't tell you why, just is.

Bermuda is great. Took the trolley around dockyard once, not getting off to take pictures.

Look for the chickens in the front of the pharmacy. :)

Two weeks, two different sides facing the Dockyard

What did we spend OBC on? We bought an iPad mini 3 week one, and the cover, plastic thing to cover the face, and some cables, and the Apple t.v., on week two, plus the Canon, SX 710 HS camera.

Oh...if you are mobility impaired...getting on is no big deal. Enter the lobby, check in, up a big escalator, or there is an elevator, cross the 50' gang plank, and you are on. Getting off, get a wheel chair. It is a long walk. Reason? You have to go past the luggage staging area, (you don't see it), and finally out to the puck up area. Then customs. At customs, let go of the wheelchair, you are steps from seating for van pick up, or close to the shuttle. Have one person take the shuttle to get the car. About 10 minutes later they are in front. Plenty of room out front to load.

When you arrive, it now looks like an airport, with only one big entrance, as they only do one ship at a time. Very nice.

The shuttle takes you to the old parking lot.

That is about it. Boy does the grass grow in two weeks!

Thanks for the hints, I remember those short ribs were pretty good.

We just got off the Summit yesterday, and they had a couple of movies under the stars - we didn't make it to any of the movies, but I will post the movies later when I take a look at the dailies.

The solarium pool was VERY warm - too warm for me. It was somewhere between a warm pool and a hot tub temperature.

The Martini Bar was VERY crowded just before dinner. We didn't really use it, and instead went to the Rendez-Vous Lounge most evenings.

Weather in Bermuda was perfect - upper 70's and the water was a little on the cool side, but perfect for this North-easterner :) Once you got into the ocean, it just took a minute to get used to the water. We really enjoyed the coves past Horseshoe Beach.

Trivia was FUN - it's one of the things we really enjoy. I played just about all trivia games, except a few when we were exploring Bermuda. I was lucky enough to meet up with others who also enjoyed trivia, and we all played whenever we could.

Thank you!

Laura

How was the boarding process? What time did you arrive? Thanks for the info!

We arrived around 11:15AM. Porters took our bags, we walked in, got online (short line), and got our sea pass cards. Sat down until our group number was called (about 5-10 minutes), and then got our picture taken just before boarding the ship.

Started sipping champagne (OK - so it was really sparkling wine) before noon :)

Edited by DinaS

When you docked in Bermuda what was the actual time people were able to get off the ship? Were any transportation passes available for sale on the ship? glad you enjoyed your cruise.

When you docked in Bermuda what was the actual time people were able to get off the ship? Were any transportation passes available for sale on the ship? glad you enjoyed your cruise.

It was shortly after 8:30, although we weren't in a hurry to get off the ship. They don't sell transportation passes on the ship, but the line was only a few people long at the kiosk right near the ship.

We thought about getting passes, but it actually worked out better just to buy tokens for each day. We only ended up using two tokens per day each.

One day we went to Hamilton, one day we took the bus to the beach, and one day we went to St George.

Thanks Dina -- glad to hear the lines weren't too long at the kiosk. What were some of your favorite things on the cruise and on the island. This will be our first time in Bermuda, so looking for any tips you can pass along!

Did they have movies on an open deck? If so,what did they show?

Yes, on Deck 12 from 10:30 to after midnight or so.... IT WAS LOUD for anyone in the Aqua cabins directly below... impossible to use you balcony and loud enough that there was no way to hit the sack early if you wanted to.

We are making our first EVER complaint on this one. Whose dumb idea was it to set up a tiny projection (my house has a better one in my rec room) and a stadium sound system?)

Was the solarium pool warm?

Yes, very comfie

Was the martini bar crowded?

Not as much as usual...

We had very nice weather, the water where I went in near Castle Island was about 80

Thanks.

Laura

Calmest seas I've ever had on a cruise this run... nice!

Thanks for the quick review & input from all! CorgisMom - thanks for the rundown on the Lumiere menu. Hubby and I are in a sky suite and just learned about this new restaurant, but if the menu is like what you described every night, I think we'll stick with seeing if we can get into Blu and/or falling back on the MDR! The weather sounds perfect for me as well - not a fan of super hot/humid (still trying to recover from our 93+ day in San Juan back in November lol) so now I'm extra excited!

Can anyone tell me what the ocean temps were like at the beaches? I would imagine on the chilly side if the air temps were only in the high 70s?

Thanks Dina -- glad to hear the lines weren't too long at the kiosk. What were some of your favorite things on the cruise and on the island. This will be our first time in Bermuda, so looking for any tips you can pass along!

We didn't really go with any plans, and just played it by ear. We took the ferry to Hamilton and then joined a free walking tour from town hall (ask when you get to the visitors info center there if you don't see it on the sign outside). The gentleman leading the tour is dressed as the "Town Crier", and he knew just about everything you could possibly want to know. (He also knows just about everyone on the island.) We gave him a tip at the end - just because he was so informative. It really was the best thing we did in Hamilton.

My absolute favorite thing to do was taking the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Beach. You got to see a little bit of the island, and the amazing flora along the way.

Once we got to the beach, we walked past the main beach to the coves.

I could have stayed there all day. The water was amazing, and there were so many places to explore. If you don't want to walk back up the hill, you can take a van service called "To The Top". For $2, they will take you up the hill right to the bus stop. They will bring you down the hill for $1 if you don't want to walk down, although it's an easy walk down.

St. George was nice - we just took the ferry and explored the town for a while. (Just be careful if taking the ferry to St George on the last day - they don't run very often.) Do NOT count on the last ferry in case it's crowded.

Our favorite thing on the ship was our balcony. We would pick up a drink on the way back to our cabin, and sit out on the balcony.

We really, really enjoyed all of the Celebrity Life activities. Rich, the cruise director, was great. However, we seemed to have fun at ANY event that Mark or Justin hosted. They were the ones who made EVERY event great fun. We played just about ALL the trivia (other than the ones during the times we were on Bermuda). Evening games and shows were fun. The production shows were really good. I enjoyed everything except the iMagic show. The acrobats were amazing - it really helps to sit closer to the front for those shows.

We ate dinner in the MDR every night except the first and last - the first night was in the Oceanview since we didn't feel like dealing with the first night lines, and the last night we ate in Normandie. It was OK, but I probably wouldn't eat there again. We would probably try Qsine next time.

We ate breakfast and lunch most days in the Oceanview. They do really well for buffet food, and we enjoyed it for the most part. The great thing is if you try something you really don't like, you can just get something else. (The same goes for the MDR, but we never really found anything we didn't like.)

I usually skipped dessert to save calories for a late night fancy coffee or pastry, but by the middle of the week, our late night dessert sometimes turned into a slice or two of pizza after midnight...LOL We're originally from NYC, and pizza is a big thing in NYC. We actually thought Celebrity did a really good job with the pizza, and ended up there after a few late nights :)

We both stuck with the classic beverage package, and were always able to find a wine with dinner, and fancy drinks during the day, or an alcoholic coffee at night. It was fine for us.

We had a wonderful cruise - and would cruise Celebrity again in a heartbeat!!!

Thanks.

Laura

To be clear

There was no way for anyone on deck 11 cabins and I'm sure aft cabins either to sit out on their balconies during the movies or even sleep in the cabin in our case. Don't plan anything really early

No thought has been given to this one, Celebrity deck 12 is not Princess MUTS :mad::mad:

Edited by A Sixth?

Originally Posted by Laurab23

Yes, on Deck 12 from 10:30 to after midnight or so.... IT WAS LOUD for anyone in the Aqua cabins directly below... impossible to use you balcony and loud enough that there was no way to hit the sack early if you wanted to.

We are making our first EVER complaint on this one. Whose dumb idea was it to set up a tiny projection (my house has a better one in my rec room) and a stadium sound system?)

So this was right above the aft balconies on the rear of the Sports Deck? Ugh. Good thing I generally don't fall asleep before midnight!

So this was right above the aft balconies on the rear of the Sports Deck? Ugh. Good thing I generally don't fall asleep before midnight!

Yup, screen against the wall facing aft the other side of the basketball court, sound 150 db.

I had a great cruise. Love the Summit and am booked for 120 days more on Celebrity... but that movie idea sucks.

They only had it on in-port nights... thank goodness

Edited by A Sixth?

Yup, screen against the wall facing aft the other side of the basketball court, sound 150 db.

I had a great cruise. Love the Summit and am booked for 120 days more on Celebrity... but that movie idea sucks.

They only had it on in-port nights... thank goodness

Wow! It is interesting to hear other's perspective of the same cruise. We are older, 67 and 70. We would grab an after dinner drink (or two), and take one with us to the room at night. One port night when facing the dockyard, we were able to sit out on our balcony and listen to the band at the Frog and Onion Pub.

We are in bed and asleep by 11:00. We never went to the movies. Sure am glad I didn't have to listen to them.

Our room, 8145, concierge, was pretty good for us. We have been in two others next to ours. It is close to the aft elevators, so easy to get to the Rendezvous, and dinner.

We are elite, and had most breakfasts in the Normandie. (Sp?). It was quiet, and suited our slow to wake up style. A few times we were too late, so went to the buffet, which was very good. I didn't have anything exotic. Scrambled eggs were fine. The coffee is good there, too. At one time it wasn't, so they have listened to our complaints.

I forgot to say we went to the Bistro on Five for lunch on day one. So civilized. People leave their luggage near the front, within eyesight, and relax. Yes, it is 10 dollars. It is worth it. There was one woman there who didn't realize it was extra. "I didn't know you had to pay". She said it like, if I didn't know, I shouldn't have to pay. Quite loudly. She had just handed her luggage to the waiter and made him schlep it over to the front area. The service throughout the ship is wonderful.

I will say that it was hard for me to believe that our request for a table for two wasn't honored on week one. We had purchased our cruise on September 2, 2014. We did get one by standing in line on day one. But with only one door, now that Luminae has taken the second door, and the table was on the far side behind Luminae, it was a trek to our table. On the second week, the cruise was much less full, and we got one, no problem.

We are shocked to hear about film nights on deck 12 as we booked cabin 1124 on deck 11 for two b/t/b cruises Boyonne to Bermuda and then the fall cruise. When we booked on board we were assured that there would be no noise above us on deck 12 but this does not appear to be the case.

We retire early so it is important to be able to get to sleep.

We are shocked to hear about film nights on deck 12 as we booked cabin 1124 on deck 11 for two b/t/b cruises Boyonne to Bermuda and then the fall cruise. When we booked on board we were assured that there would be no noise above us on deck 12 but this does not appear to be the case.

We retire early so it is important to be able to get to sleep.

This is really annoying. We retire early and wake to scuba dive very early. We are in 1140 and was counting on quiet evenings.

To be clear

There was no way for anyone on deck 11 cabins and I'm sure aft cabins either to sit out on their balconies during the movies or even sleep in the cabin in our case. Don't plan anything really early

No thought has been given to this one, Celebrity deck 12 is not Princess MUTS :mad::mad:

We have a deck 11 aft cabin so I hope I like what they are showing,seeing I will be able to hear it on my balcony.

Laura

We have a deck 11 aft cabin so I hope I like what they are showing,seeing I will be able to hear it on my balcony.

Laura

LOL!!! :p

If your cruise doesn't include an overnight stay it's not a problem, AND I hope its an experiment... a bad one.

I thought that the food last week was some of the best. Didn't have anything that was just "okay" everything was great IMHO

Drink service was top drawer too which can be a bit on and off, I liked the Mast bar and the Oceanview bar in particular...

There was a guitar and singer during the happy hours at the Oceanview... they were well received

Some of he Americas Cup boats are already in Bermuda and their base is right in King's Wharf so enjoy a view of Oracle and Artemis

To be clear

What did they say when you brought this complaint to Guest Relations when it was happening? Were they aware of this issue, or was it new information to them?

To be clear

Are the movies on deck 12 a new venue? I don't remember it there back in 2013.

Thanks for the quick review & input from all! CorgisMom - thanks for the rundown on the Lumiere menu. Hubby and I are in a sky suite and just learned about this new restaurant, but if the menu is like what you described every night, I think we'll stick with seeing if we can get into Blu and/or falling back on the MDR! The weather sounds perfect for me as well - not a fan of super hot/humid (still trying to recover from our 93+ day in San Juan back in November lol) so now I'm extra excited!

Can anyone tell me what the ocean temps were like at the beaches? I would imagine on the chilly side if the air temps were only in the high 70s?

I think you should give Luminae a try. It just might surprise you. It certainly did us. We ate at Blu on the first night, not finding anything appealing at Luminae. We went to breakfast at Luminae the next morning and never went to Blu or MDR again. We did go to Aqua Spa Café a couple of times for lunch, but that was it. Luminae's food is rich, but it's oh so good. The dishes are all prepared as ordered, so it's not banquet food. They will customize dishes to your taste.