Another Port Change

Kinkajou

Having planned to go to the San Diego Zoo on the Panama Canal cruise, I decided I would do that later after they changed the port to Catalina. I moved my reservation to a cruise to Iceland. Today, they changed the Isafjordur port to Grundarfjordur which is half way between Isafjordur and Reykjavik due to port congestion. I suspect it's because it's closer to Reykjavik. I don't notice other lines making so many itinerary changes. Are they just trying to cut costs or are they last in line to get ports? :(

I love Oceania and recommend it frequently. However, one of O's biggest downsides is that it is a relevantly young cruise line. Therefore, for many ports, it puts them absolutely last in line, behind all the more senior lines on berthing spots. I have been in multiple ports were we (on O) have been put in hell hole port spots or redirected to other nearby (or not so nearby)ports because of seniority rights, while those more senior cruise lines dock in sublime areas. Get used to it, and accept it, it's just part of the luggage. That said Oceania is a great line, but this is a common problem!

I love Oceania and recommend it frequently. However, one of O's biggest downsides is that it is a relevantly young cruise line. Therefore, for many ports, it puts them absolutely last in line, behind all the more senior lines on berthing spots. I have been in multiple ports were we (on O) have been put in hell hole port spots or redirected to other nearby (or not so nearby)ports because of seniority rights, while those more senior cruise lines dock in sublime areas. Get used to it, and accept it, it's just part of the luggage. That said Oceania is a great line, but this is a common problem!

I'm not disagreeing with your comment, but there's one significant exception. Since Oceania's "R" ships are small-sized by today's standards, there are some close-in, older ports where they're still able to dock. Those same ports are off-limit to modern cruising behemoths; the big ships are docking at newly built docks some distance from the places people actually want to visit.

A port call at Shanghai is the most striking example of this "R" ship advantage. At least through summer 2015, Nautica was still allowed to sail up the river to the city dock in direct line with the Oriental Pearl television tower. The city dock is conveniently located, and it offers a magical experience at night looking at the neon lights of the business district. Larger ships are now confined to either of the two outlying cruise terminals, 25 and 35 kilometers away from the city.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I'm not disagreeing with your comment, but there's one significant exception. Since Oceania's "R" ships are small-sized by today's standards, there are some close-in, older ports where they're still able to dock. Those same ports are off-limit to modern cruising behemoths; the big ships are docking at newly built docks some distance from the places people actually want to visit.

A port call at Shanghai is the most striking example of this "R" ship advantage. At least through summer 2015, Nautica was still allowed to sail up the river to the city dock in direct line with the Oriental Pearl television tower. The city dock is conveniently located, and it offers a magical experience at night looking at the neon lights of the business district. Larger ships are now confined to either of the two outlying cruise terminals, 25 and 35 kilometers away from the city.

Yes we were in the same place a few years ago in Shanghai and it was wonderful. Were right in the city as we were in many other places on the R ships. Also as part of NCL now I would think that O has a good chance to get better dock space.

Any time you get so focused on "A" port being the sole reason your taking a cruise or making it the entire reason for the cruise your asking for heartache

Things can change, weather, labor problems, a sick passenger needing to be rushed to the closest port.. damage to the ship.... The list is lengthy and the potential for change at the last min or in anticipation of problems can alter any cruise at any time

Going in you should consider that...and if your that focused then dont take the cruise

We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise that has had Catalina substituted for San Diego with the excuse from O being port congestion where our ship was the only cruise ship scheduled to visit on that day. A little lack of transparency!

Missed Milford sound dues to conditions a year ago, not an easy one to make up. Also missed getting close to Hubbard Glacier on one cruise to Alaska. Have missed 3 or 4 ports due to weather. We did get in to the Falklands which I understand is hit or miss, more often miss.

I am complaining about putting out schedules and changing to what looks like a cheaper port a few months later. I don't think Oceania did this when we first started sailing with them. It seems to be happening with increasing frequency. Just an observation.

I don't think that I have ever chosen an itinerary for just one port. :eek:

Missed Milford sound dues to conditions a year ago, not an easy one to make up. Also missed getting close to Hubbard Glacier on one cruise to Alaska. Have missed 3 or 4 ports due to weather. We did get in to the Falklands which I understand is hit or miss, more often miss.

I am complaining about putting out schedules and changing to what looks like a cheaper port a few months later. I don't think Oceania did this when we first started sailing with them. It seems to be happening with increasing frequency. Just an observation.

I don't think that I have ever chosen an itinerary for just one port. :eek:

Where is the port for Milford Sound? Going thru there was a sea day for us. We never stopped anywhere near there on the way from NZ to Australia. What did I miss?

Where is the port for Milford Sound? Going thru there was a sea day for us. We never stopped anywhere near there on the way from NZ to Australia. What did I miss?

I don't think OP said it was a port - I believe that's they missed cruising through Milford Sound altogether.

I don't think OP said it was a port - I believe that's they missed cruising through Milford Sound altogether.

Since the title of this thread was Port Changes I just read into this one the wrong way. Sorry.

Don't understand how the ship would miss Milford Sound, unless the waves and the Ocean were so bad the ship didn't believe it could make it in to the huge deep water Sound! If the seas were that bad, you should have noticed, otherwise???:rolleyes:

No ports in the Sound. However, we made the crossing from Hobarts (Tasmania) to NZ and the Sound. We made a drop off of a number of passengers that had signed up for an exclusive O tour, with an overnight in the NZ Alps, and meet back up with the ship the next afternoon, before departure in Dunedin. All those that paid to go raved about that tour. Wish we had splurged to do it!. IRRC, the ship (Marina) docked up with a small local ship at the head of the Milford Sound and all the passenger unloaded on that ship to the port. I doubt that bad weather, that far up the Sound, would ever prevent that rendezvous.

The ship turned around and sailed between the North and South part of NZ. Just making the point that I realize that changes do happen. It was simply my reaction to the man who has all the answers suggesting that I stay home. :D