White water rafting in Denali

JP-Cruise

We did this 4 years ago - it was AWESOME! We used Denali Raft Adventures and did the "Canyon Run" (the tour guide did the paddling). Chicago was our tour guide and he was wonderful. He even made sure my 13yo (at the time) was able to participate despite his broken foot! I wore some rubber gloves to try and keep my hands from getting too cold, because once my hands get cold, the rest of me just gets freezing too. My now ex and my sons didn't have gloves on and their hands were a little red from the cold water at the end. Totally loved the "Glacial Facial"! It really was a great trip! We used a coupon from one of the coupon books for additional savings, so you might want to look in to that also.

Oh that's excellent to hear, and that's a nice touch with the rubber gloves! I'll have to pick myself a pair. I'm thinking about doing the one where we all get to paddle but not sure how hard it is to do? What kind do shoes did you wear? Watershoes or Sandals?

We ranged in age form 7 to 70, family group. None of us had a problem with it and we just all had a really great time. They put is in dry suits, it was August and we were warm before we got in the raft and started off. We laughed almost the whole way and all of us got wet so the dry suits were appreciated.

We ranged in age form 7 to 70, family group. None of us had a problem with it and we just all had a really great time. They put is in dry suits, it was August and we were warm before we got in the raft and started off. We laughed almost the whole way and all of us got wet so the dry suits were appreciated.

Amazing, I'm definitely gonna do this! What kind of shoes did you wear? Water shoes or sandals? And what was the name of the rafting tour you did? Do you remember ?

Thanks in advance :)

Amazing, I'm definitely gonna do this! What kind of shoes did you wear? Water shoes or sandals? And what was the name of the rafting tour you did? Do you remember ?

It's been a while so I'll have to look up those answers tonight at home. I think the dry suits had feet so we didn't have shoes on at all. Getting feet wet would have been very cold and miserable! I wore Tevas and hikers most of that trip, but pretty sure not on this particular fun. We had one camera with us in a waterproof enclosing so I still have the photos and can check. The few photos that made it to our personal website don't show the whole outfit so I need to search. We did have life jackets on top of the dry suits. Our heads, faces and hands were exposed so we could feel how cold the water was and be happy to have the dry suits! In our case, we had to rush back and get our luggage and get to the train to Anchorage and I know we didn't have cold wet feet all afternoon. It may have been the same group and tour mentioned by olemissreb. I'm sure tour names have changed in 13 years, possibly even company names.

Oh that's excellent to hear, and that's a nice touch with the rubber gloves! I'll have to pick myself a pair. I'm thinking about doing the one where we all get to paddle but not sure how hard it is to do? What kind do shoes did you wear? Watershoes or Sandals?

The vendors provide a drysuit which includes booties but no gloves. If you look at the vendor web sites you'll get a better idea. ie Denali Outdoor Center http://www.denalioutdoorcenter.com/drysuit-glacier-river/

There are other rafting vendors listed on the Chamber of Commerce site;

http://a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

You might also look at past trip reports for photos and comments.ie emeraldcity in 2015

I've only seen positive comments about it.

I have this on the short list of possible things to do. Gotta figure out our exact schedule first. We are doing a DIY land tour before our SB cruise, and I don't know yet exactly how much time we will have at Denali yet. We will probably do the calmer McKinley run where you don't paddle. That may be the only way to get my sister to go, LOL!

I am actually considering the rafting/ATV combo. The ATV part depends on what we decide to do in Haines. if we do the 4X4 excursion there, then we may forego the ATVs in Denali. We have a budget to stick to, and I don't want to do a lot of duplicate type excursions.

I have this on the short list of possible things to do. Gotta figure out our exact schedule first. We are doing a DIY land tour before our SB cruise, and I don't know yet exactly how much time we will have at Denali yet. We will probably do the calmer McKinley run where you don't paddle. That may be the only way to get my sister to go, LOL!

I am actually considering the rafting/ATV combo. The ATV part depends on what we decide to do in Haines. if we do the 4X4 excursion there, then we may forego the ATVs in Denali. We have a budget to stick to, and I don't want to do a lot of duplicate type excursions.

Exactly, you don't want to do duplicate excursions. I did a great deal of researching for tours and chose a variety :) it's the smartest thing to do ;). SB cruise?

I spoke with the vendor for this trip, and planned to book it directly with them, but it was available via the cruise line, same tour, so just went with the ship booked one.

Oh awesome! So excited for you! Are you doing the cruisetour? Which rafting trip did you choose ?

Sorry for the delay in details, our Denali trip in 2004 was with Denali Raft Adventures. We did have booties with our dry suits and if they are operating under the same name, absolutely would not hesitate to go with them again. In comparison, the Mendenhall Glacier float in Juneau which at the time was advertised as white water, was not and I would not do that again. I think there were one or two little rapids on the Juneau trip and we were all disappointed in that but we all loved the Denali river trip.

Sorry for the delay in details, our Denali trip in 2004 was with Denali Raft Adventures. We did have booties with our dry suits and if they are operating under the same name, absolutely would not hesitate to go with them again. In comparison, the Mendenhall Glacier float in Juneau which at the time was advertised as white water, was not and I would not do that again. I think there were one or two little rapids on the Juneau trip and we were all disappointed in that but we all loved the Denali river trip.

Oh no worries. Thank you very much for the information. Ya I'm doing a cruise tour so I wondering if the tour company will be using Denali raft adventures. In Juneau I chose his independent company, liquid Alaska tours. We are canoeing to Mendenhall glacier, hiking to one of the glacier cave. If conditions allow us we will be exploring the inside. Can't wait for that!

We did a tour on our own away from our Cruise Tour and had an awesome time! Here is a link to my blog post with some pictures and info if you'd like to take a look:

http://ocdplannercindy.blogspot.com/#!/2014/04/2013-alaska-cruise-tour-denali-white.html

Have fun planning!

Cindy

Oh nice, what tour was that. What cruise line were you on?

Oh nice, what tour was that. What cruise line were you on?

We chose to book this excursion thru Royal Caribbean since we weren't sure of the times or locations we need to be for departure. The price was the same as what we would have paid thru the private vendor. The excursion was described as follows: Whitewater Rafting the Nenana River with approximately two hours on the water the Canyon Run is an exciting whitewater adventure with class iii and iv rapids. This is one ride where you might get wet. Cost $99 per person.

The price was the same as booking a private tour. Most Alaska tours are because the season is so short. If the link didn't take you to the post you can search Denali in the search box and you can then click on it.

We chose to book this excursion thru Royal Caribbean since we weren't sure of the times or locations we need to be for departure. The price was the same as what we would have paid thru the private vendor. The excursion was described as follows: Whitewater Rafting the Nenana River with approximately two hours on the water the Canyon Run is an exciting whitewater adventure with class iii and iv rapids. This is one ride where you might get wet. Cost $99 per person.

The price was the same as booking a private tour. Most Alaska tours are because the season is so short. If the link didn't take you to the post you can search Denali in the search box and you can then click on it.

Perfect thanks! Ya I think this is the one I'm going to be doing also :)

• 2 months later...

We are also on the Radiance Land/Cruise Tour and interested in this excursion. We've never been rafting before. Do you think you have to be experienced to do this? We would take the one where we don't do the paddling. Thanks in advance.

We are also on the Radiance Land/Cruise Tour and interested in this excursion. We've never been rafting before. Do you think you have to be experienced to do this? We would take the one where we don't do the paddling. Thanks in advance.

I've never white water rafted either, no previous experience is necessary the websites and people have told me. It's not hard either they have said. Honestly I would choose the one where you have to paddle (if you are able to) just to say that you have done it. Cuz how often do you get the opportunity to do that in "Denali" right? But you have to do what is comfortable for you guys :)