MDR Lunch attire

Acrusa

No shorts but jeans are okay at lunch.

Uh, you're getting this from where?

I've always seen people wearing shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is another story.

OP, shorts historically have been fine at lunch. Not sure how the Jacques thing will be handled until it happens, but as a guess I'd say it will probably just be some options on the menu.

Sirena is a new ship, so not sure what they will do. As far as say the Marina or Riveria, the MDR is seldom open for lunch. Normally the only time the MDR is when they have the large Sunday Brunch or other special event. Lunch is typically only served in the Terrace or Waves. Then, outside of the always casual people, very few guests wear shorts or jeans to those special events, and treat it like a normal dinner event with accompanying attire. But, as first noted, the Sirena is new and may lead off in other directions.

Edited by pinotlover

Now it's my turn to make a correction! The MDR is indeed open for lunch on all the ships every day. That special brunch is very special and we've only encountered it 2 or 3 times. If we are on board for lunch we typically to to the MDR or Terrace, less often at Waves. It depends on the menus and our moods.

My understanding of the Jacques component at lunch time in the MDR on the "R" ships (starting with Sirena) is that there will be some dishes available from Jacques but that it won't be ONLY courses from Jacques.

At least that is how I read the description ...

Mura

Sirena is a new ship, so not sure what they will do. As far as say the Marina or Riveria, the MDR is seldom open for lunch. Normally the only time the MDR is when they have the large Sunday Brunch or other special event. Lunch is typically only served in the Terrace or Waves. Then, outside of the always casual people, very few guests wear shorts or jeans to those special events, and treat it like a normal dinner event with accompanying attire. But, as first noted, the Sirena is new and may lead off in other directions.

Ummmm, MDR was open for lunch last December for all 20 days of our cruise on the Riviera. And yes, shorts were common.

Edited by Cruseforme

Ummmm, MDR was open for lunch last December for all 20 days of our cruise on the Riviera. And yes, shorts were common.

LOL, it's what happens when you cruise multiple lines, they process runs together. Sounds like Pinot is describing Celebrity. They're open on sea days but not port days in the MDR for lunch. Oceania is open every day in the MDR for lunch.

Just a poor memory, Orv. After I posted I realized -- uh oh, another mistaken post!

Sometimes I invent things just to see if anyone will notice ...

Mura

I was just curious if they've started something new. I figured you were thinking of the evening.

I like the making up stuff. I know a guy that does that all the time.

I don't do it deliberately ... it just sort of happens sometimes. In general I try to be HELPFUL!

So I was wrong about the shorts at lunch -- in fact I may have well worn them to lunch myself, I just forgot -- but I was right that the MDR is open for lunch, so I consider myself even!

Thanks for understanding.

Mura

On every Oceania ship, we have worn shorts to breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Every once in a while the MDR will be closed for lunch but its usually because of something special or unique about the day or the port.

On every Oceania ship, we have worn shorts to breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Every once in a while the MDR will be closed for lunch but its usually because of something special or unique about the day or the port.

This has been our experience as well.

On a 10-day itinerary, the MDR was closed one or two days (but closing wasn't for any particular reason, perhaps expectation of mass day-long excursions like when in Livorno or Civitavecchia?). There were no brunches. Shorts were fine.

Not sure what impact Sirena's new lunch direction would have on the current MDR lunch system.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO