Passport Renewal FYI

Janet524

FYI...Sent in application for DH passport renewal on August 20. Received new passport today. Less than 4 weeks to process. Just thought some of you might be interested in the timing.

Boy! The pony express took a long time. My DW got her U.S. passport renewed in two weeks which she was told is the norm...but...as long as you have it. Happy travels...

Edited by Crown Vic

What is the time-frame for renewal? Ours expire next June...

Some countries require six months from date of exit from that country. Most that I reviewed were two to three months from exiting date. The cruise lines recommend six months. We travel enough that I renewed mine when we were in town for a couple of months. Did not want to have to skip a trip because I didn't have a current passport!

Don't put renewing your passport off....our government has had stoppages, applications build up, who knows what will happen. It's not something you want to have to worry about.

BTW...for those that don't know, there are two US passports that you can choose between (actually there is also a card, but that won't help anyone who cruises). The only difference in the two passports is the number of pages. Keep in mind that if you order the smaller passport, you can get more pages, but at a cost of something like $110.....which, of course, you wouldn't need if you got the larger passport in the first place.

Some countries require six months from date of exit from that country. Most that I reviewed were two to three months from exiting date. The cruise lines recommend six months. We travel enough that I renewed mine when we were in town for a couple of months. Did not want to have to skip a trip because I didn't have a current passport!

Thanks, we have a cruise in Feb. and they expire in June. I guess I will apply right after we get back.

Don't put renewing your passport off....our government has had stoppages, applications build up, who knows what will happen. It's not something you want to have to worry about.

BTW...for those that don't know, there are two US passports that you can choose between (actually there is also a card, but that won't help anyone who cruises). The only difference in the two passports is the number of pages. Keep in mind that if you order the smaller passport, you can get more pages, but at a cost of something like $110.....which, of course, you wouldn't need if you got the larger passport in the first place.

There are several US itineraries where the card can be used.

Thanks, we have a cruise in Feb. and they expire in June. I guess I will apply right after we get back.

If you have a cruise in February and your passports expire in June of that year you need to get them renewed BEFOR your cruise, not after. They cruise line required passports valid for 6 months from date of sailing.

After reading Celebrity's site information (FAQ's), it states, that it is recommended, not required that a passport be further than 6 months of the sailing date.

I am sailing in 3 weeks, and just realized that my passport does expire in Feb. 2015. I'll apply for an expedited delivery of a renewal...just to be safe.

You've got around 4 months to spare, more than enough cushion for your trip. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Renewing after your cruise should be just fine.

Actually it'll be 3 months at disembarkation. We're doing a B2B that ends 11/1.

Thank you for your input.

I'm usually right on top of everything, but this was one thing that totally slipped my mind!

Actually it'll be 3 months at disembarkation. We're doing a B2B that ends 11/1.

Thank you for your input.

I'm usually right on top of everything, but this was one thing that totally slipped my mind!

I think a 3-month window is still quite fine.

You're very welcome!

I completely understand! My wife's expired back in January, and mine will expire next month. We should be getting our renewed passports next week so that we can sail in December. Our cruise will be a closed-loop Western Caribbean cruise, so technically no passport is required, but better safe than sorry!

Hi All,

Quite frankly what Celebrity says... Or the US Passport officials say... Makes no never mind

In the end what is truly important (The only thing that matters) is what the Countries you plan to visit say !!

Cause ultimately they, and only they, and their own Customs & Immigration (Border Security) Officials decide in regards to WHO can visit

Such info can be found on each Countries own Customs & Immigration websites

Or

In Canada, the USA (and other countries) Foreign Affairs / State Department etc websites maintain info for their Citizens who are abroad... Such as basic travel info - Travel Advisories etc. no one should ever travel abroad without consulting these websites... As citzens of your country, they are on the lookout for you (plus their is important EMERGENCY info to be found within that could help in a worse case scenario... Loss of Passport - Enviromental / Climatic / or other Disaster - or a unforeseen event that changes the political landscape / your safety as a citizen). In these instances your Embassy or Consulate abroad can assist you or make arrangements for your evacuation home... No one should ever travel without checking / noting this relative info as it could SAVE YOUR LIFE !!

Canada - Foreign Affairs / Travel Advisories = http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

USA - State Dept / Travel Advisories = http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

You've got around 4 months to spare, more than enough cushion for your trip. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Renewing after your cruise should be just fine.

I think you may be giving out misinformation. I was not allowed to board a cruise one time without a passport that was valid more than six months after the end of the cruise. I had an unbelievable hassle to get it done in time to sail, and in fact did not get my passport until the day before the plane left. I would definitely not advise somebody that four months is adequate because it may not be and you do not want to be responsible for them missing their cruise!!

I think you may be giving out misinformation. I was not allowed to board a cruise one time without a passport that was valid more than six months after the end of the cruise. I had an unbelievable hassle to get it done in time to sail, and in fact did not get my passport until the day before the plane left. I would definitely not advise somebody that four months is adequate because it may not be and you do not want to be responsible for them missing their cruise!!

I agree with CathyCruises. I would check with Celebrity NOW so you will have time to get a new passport if they say it is necessary. I would hate for you to miss out on a cruise due to false information given on this site. I have known people who almost missed cruises because of expiring passports.

How were you denied ability to board but still able to get the passport in time?

I've read the requirements listed by Celebrity on its website and it says it only suggests a 6-month window. I would assume that if Celebrity requires it, it would be expressly stated on their website. Karynanne might want to call Celebrity to confirm.

How were you denied ability to board but still able to get the passport in time?

I've read the requirements listed by Celebrity on its website and it says it only suggests a 6-month window. I would assume that if Celebrity requires it, it would be expressly stated on their website. Karynanne might want to call Celebrity to confirm.

Guessing it was because Celebrity / Homeland Security actually needs the Passport info for each Pax in the days prior to the cruise itself... In the interim CATHYCRUISES got her new passport and showed up at the Terminal on E-Day with it in hand (so essentially she sweet talked Celebrity in giving her an extension cause her Passport was in process)

Again... I reiterate

FORGET what Celebrity or any Cruisers here say

WHAT IS IMPORTANT is what each Country you are visiting requires.

Because Celebrity could essentially as a US Cruise Line / Transportation Co let you sail with them... But any or all countries could DENY you entrance if you don't meet their Customs & Immigration Requirements

At each country / port... The ship and all aboard must be cleared

If you are not in compliance, you won't be cleared for entry

Period

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

First of all, it wasn't on celebrity, it was on princess. Second of all, I was not allowed to complete my boarding documents because my passport expired too soon. It was because the country I was going to required it, not because the cruise line required it. So better safe than sorry.