Passport Renewal FYI

Janet524

There are a number of countries that will deny admission if you do not comply with their time limits. It is up to the passengers/travelers to comply with ALL the laws of the countries they will visit, passport is just one.

For all of the cruisers who think that a birth certificate and drivers license will get them home from a foreign port without the hassle and assistance of a US embassy or consulate they are burying their heads in the sand. This happened to family members we were sailing with in Barbados.

For all of the cruisers who think that a birth certificate and drivers license will get them home from a foreign port without the hassle and assistance of a US embassy or consulate they are burying their heads in the sand. This happened to family members we were sailing with in Barbados.

I think a birth certificate + driver's license is adequate for a closed-loop U.S. cruise (beginning and ending in same U.S. city). However, you are risking trouble if some emergency arises (aka you need to return early or enter the U.S. some other way). We took a cruise in January to the Caribbean on short notice while my wife's passport was expired. We had no problems.

This website looks like it might be helpful:

http://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/foreign-entry-requirement.html

Look up the countries you are visiting to see what they require.

I'm sorry my information may have been incorrect. I did not anticipate other countries denying you entry.

This is the site that I viewed, and found that the countries we are visiting (Italy, Greece and Turkey) do not require the six month (beyond passport expiration date) date.

And we'll be returning to the U.S. via a Transatlantic, via the Caribbean, to Miami.

I think I'm good to go with this information.

This is the site that I viewed, and found that the countries we are visiting (Italy, Greece and Turkey) do not require the six month (beyond passport expiration date) date.

And we'll be returning to the U.S. via a Transatlantic, via the Caribbean, to Miami.

I think I'm good to go with this information.

You may be, but you never know when something may happen when you may have to stop or go to another Country. I am sorry to play Devils Advocate, but to be safe, I would definitely get my passport renewed before the cruise as ing as there was sill time. IT is up to you, but it is something I would not want to worry about, especially f I could take care of it now. Either way, enjoy your cruise

Thanks for the reminder! We sail in November and our passports expire in January.

I had read the fine print after making final payment. I was able to complete my boarding passes no problem. I asked the TA about it. She recommended applying for a new passport now before our Nov sailing. She said most cruiselines have no issue as long as your passport expires after the date of return. But she said that Royal and Celebrity have been picky about enforcing the 6 months.

I'm sure I will be fine since I was able to complete online registration ... but i'm going to renew early anyways.

Your passport is a legal document with definite beginning and expiration dates. I think the only reason they advise a 6-month window is in case you cannot return on the planned date because of illness, injury, trip elongation, etc.

Certain countries will not let you in or approve a Visa if your passport expires within 6 months of arrival. Not a problem with this particular itinerary.

Thanks for the reminder! We sail in November and our passports expire in January.

I had read the fine print after making final payment. I was able to complete my boarding passes no problem. I asked the TA about it. She recommended applying for a new passport now before our Nov sailing. She said most cruiselines have no issue as long as your passport expires after the date of return. But she said that Royal and Celebrity have been picky about enforcing the 6 months.

I'm sure I will be fine since I was able to complete online registration ... but i'm going to renew early anyways.

Hi QUEEN OF OAKVILLE,

Here is some info you might find handy as a Canadian...

Passport Renewal can be very quick (and easy). especially so if your Passport has not expired yet, or has done so just recently.

By far the quickest way is if you can manage the time to go in person to a Passport Canada Office... And a lot less hassle to (vs having to send in original documents... And the risk of losing said documents)

They do the ID verification in person, hand the documents back. You hand off your Renewal Application, 2 Passport Photos, and your old Passport (you can ask to have it returned to you if you like when the new one is ready... As some people want to keep the "Entry Stamps" from the back pages. In which case they "punch" a hole in the it to show it is no longer valid).

Passport Canada gives you options... You then make arrangements to go back to their office to pick it up when ready... Or they will mail it out to you via Canada Post Registered Mail (you have to sign for it). All in about 10 Business Days... If you want Expedited Service you pay extra (and Emergency Service... Is also available).

http://passport.gc.ca/info/ren.aspx?lang=eng

We did the regular 10 day option thru the Passport Office in person ($ 20)... And they called us a week later to say our Passports were ready... Total time about 5 Business Days !! (lol, they charge $ 50 for 2 to 9 Business Days)

Truly awesome. Will continue to go ths route in the future for Renewals.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... You also now have the option of getting a 5 Year ($ 120) or a 10 Year ($ 160) Passport. We have friends who also have in addition gotten Nexus Cards ($ 50)... Very handy if you travel to the US often... Little to no waiting when crossing the US-Canada Border... Handy if you visit regularly by land or air. They have convinced us that it is a good thing to have (have to admit we are very tired of the Border Line Up !! )

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thanks for work SloopB, but I am familiar with the passport renewal proceses :D I always renew by mail. I send it in by fedex and get them back priority post. It usually doesn't take more than a couple of weeks and I never pay extra. Nexus cards are awesome, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend it. It's $50 per adult. Kids are free. The only thing is that everyone in your travel party must have one. If you change your travel companions frequently it's not worth it.

Hi QUEEN OF OAKVILLE,

Here is some info you might find handy as a Canadian...

Passport Renewal can be very quick (and easy). especially so if your Passport has not expired yet, or has done so just recently.

By far the quickest way is if you can manage the time to go in person to a Passport Canada Office... And a lot less hassle to (vs having to send in original documents... And the risk of losing said documents)

They do the ID verification in person, hand the documents back. You hand off your Renewal Application, 2 Passport Photos, and your old Passport (you can ask to have it returned to you if you like when the new one is ready... As some people want to keep the "Entry Stamps" from the back pages. In which case they "punch" a hole in the it to show it is no longer valid).

Passport Canada gives you options... You then make arrangements to go back to their office to pick it up when ready... Or they will mail it out to you via Canada Post Registered Mail (you have to sign for it). All in about 10 Business Days... If you want Expedited Service you pay extra (and Emergency Service... Is also available).

http://passport.gc.ca/info/ren.aspx?lang=eng

We did the regular 10 day option thru the Passport Office in person ($ 20)... And they called us a week later to say our Passports were ready... Total time about 5 Business Days !! (lol, they charge $ 50 for 2 to 9 Business Days)

Truly awesome. Will continue to go ths route in the future for Renewals.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Ps... You also now have the option of getting a 5 Year ($ 120) or a 10 Year ($ 160) Passport. We have friends who also have in addition gotten Nexus Cards ($ 50)... Very handy if you travel to the US often... Little to no waiting when crossing the US-Canada Border... Handy if you visit regularly by land or air. They have convinced us that it is a good thing to have (have to admit we are very tired of the Border Line Up !! )

Nexus cards are awesome, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend it. It's $50 per adult.

Queen of Oakville - how long are the Nexus cards valid for, years? I would also love a quicker way across the border or through the lines at the airport. :)

First of all, it wasn't on celebrity, it was on princess. Second of all, I was not allowed to complete my boarding documents because my passport expired too soon. It was because the country I was going to required it, not because the cruise line required it. So better safe than sorry.

Princess did that to me as well. I had to sign a waiver when I booked, that Princess was not responsible if I did not rectify my passport situation for not allowing me to board. I had 8 weeks, and I expedited my passport renewal.

I overnighted my application to Philly on Saturday. I had my renewed passport on Wednesday. I was quite impressed.

However, government processing is not created equal. My ex before another cruise, had to renew her passport. She had plenty of time, but this was the impatient one who had money to burn, so she expedited her passport renewal. It took six weeks for her to get her passport.

Hi All,

Quite frankly what Celebrity says... Or the US Passport officials say... Makes no never mind

In the end what is truly important (The only thing that matters) is what the Countries you plan to visit say !!

Cause ultimately they, and only they, and their own Customs & Immigration (Border Security) Officials decide in regards to WHO can visit

Such info can be found on each Countries own Customs & Immigration websites

Or

In Canada, the USA (and other countries) Foreign Affairs / State Department etc websites maintain info for their Citizens who are abroad... Such as basic travel info - Travel Advisories etc. no one should ever travel abroad without consulting these websites... As citzens of your country, they are on the lookout for you (plus their is important EMERGENCY info to be found within that could help in a worse case scenario... Loss of Passport - Enviromental / Climatic / or other Disaster - or a unforeseen event that changes the political landscape / your safety as a citizen). In these instances your Embassy or Consulate abroad can assist you or make arrangements for your evacuation home... No one should ever travel without checking / noting this relative info as it could SAVE YOUR LIFE !!

Canada - Foreign Affairs / Travel Advisories = http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

USA - State Dept / Travel Advisories = http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Exactly ... We have always been told this. I would never leave the country without my 6 months window unless I am making a quick car trip to the US.

While not as fast as a passport office, you can also go to a Service Canada outlet. They will also accept your passport papers, go through them with you, and send them off for processing (no mailing fees!).

Queen of Oakville - how long are the Nexus cards valid for, years? I would also love a quicker way across the border or through the lines at the airport. :)

off the top of my head, I think its five years. I travel for work a few times a year, plus we do 3 or 4 shopping trips in buffalo, add to that flying out of BUF ..... it made nexus a worthwhile investment. I got tired of sitting in a lane at fort erie, and watching the nexus lane breeze by. We just had our interviews in July .... next weekend is our first trip to the US where we'll use our cards.

We applied May 1. June 6 we were approved for interviews and the earliest date that worked for our schedule was an interview on July 11. We received our cards in the mail about 2 weeks later. So the process does take some time. You can do the interviews at Pearson, but we preferred to do them at Fort Erie.

off the top of my head, I think its five years. I travel for work a few times a year, plus we do 3 or 4 shopping trips in buffalo, add to that flying out of BUF ..... it made nexus a worthwhile investment. I got tired of sitting in a lane at fort erie, and watching the nexus lane breeze by. We just had our interviews in July .... next weekend is our first trip to the US where we'll use our cards.

Thanks Queen of Oakville - it sounds like a good price for five years of convenience, definitely something to think about. Love those mini trips to the States. We're heading to the States for a few days next week - luckily we can avoid weekends so the lines usually aren't too bad.

We applied May 1. June 6 we were approved for interviews and the earliest date that worked for our schedule was an interview on July 11. We received our cards in the mail about 2 weeks later. So the process does take some time. You can do the interviews at Pearson, but we preferred to do them at Fort Erie.

Thanks for explaining the process and how it went for you.

Yup $ 50 for 5 Years...

Well worth it IMO

Especially if you've ever been in the regular line and seen how short & quick the Nexus Line moves :( *sigh*

True at the airport... But more so at a busy land crossing... Particularly so on a Canadian long weekend.

We sat in line almost 3 hours on a hot summer day waiting to be processed at the Border... 5 or 6 Lines and we figure about 100 vehicles or more in each line. it was about a half mile long (according to our GPS).

They had one line open for Nexus Card Holders... As we got closer to the booths we watched... Never more than a handful of cars in that line. They would drive up to the back of the line wait 15 or so minutes for their turn... And drive on. No one in that line wasted more than 20 to 30 minutes at the Border (which interestingly is CBSA / Canada Custom's "ideal wait times" year round as per their website for everyone)

Convinced us right there and then... In addition to stories from other friends & family that have them that we should do this... The cost really is minimal.

Cheers!

First of all, it wasn't on celebrity, it was on princess. Second of all, I was not allowed to complete my boarding documents because my passport expired too soon. It was because the country I was going to required it, not because the cruise line required it. So better safe than sorry.

That's all that one needs to know. Besides, why stress over renewal lead-time? Renew now and avoid the stress and second guessing.

We just mailed in my DW's yesterday, will see how fast it turns around.

This is a slow time since students, overseas workers are in place until the next cycle.

Another reason to get a new passport early is one can use the new kiosks at US Customs entry points at the larger airports. The new passports have had embedded chips for some time but not in passports reaching expiration now.

Saved me two hours coming into Miami, last May I have the new passport.

I can top you! I remember one Canada Day (2006). My DD was just a babe and we decided to go shopping in the US. We got just past the "last exit" and then stopped. This was at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge. We were literally parked on the QEW and not moving. We ended up having to stand on the road to do diaper changes. I had to sit in the back seat and nurse her. It was BRUTAL. It took 6 hours to cross! I remember thinking that we could have driven to Montreal in that time it took us to get to Buffalo (normally 45 minutes to an hour). But in that case, even Nexus would not have helped us.

Thanks for explaining the process and how it went for you.

Yup $ 50 for 5 Years...

Well worth it IMO

Especially if you've ever been in the regular line and seen how short & quick the Nexus Line moves :( *sigh*

True at the airport... But more so at a busy land crossing... Particularly so on a Canadian long weekend.

We sat in line almost 3 hours on a hot summer day waiting to be processed at the Border... 5 or 6 Lines and we figure about 100 vehicles or more in each line. it was about a half mile long (according to our GPS).

They had one line open for Nexus Card Holders... As we got closer to the booths we watched... Never more than a handful of cars in that line. They would drive up to the back of the line wait 15 or so minutes for their turn... And drive on. No one in that line wasted more than 20 to 30 minutes at the Border (which interestingly is CBSA / Canada Custom's "ideal wait times" year round as per their website for everyone)

Convinced us right there and then... In addition to stories from other friends & family that have them that we should do this... The cost really is minimal.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the expediated delivery option....my son got his in 6 days.

Boy it is getting close....I haven't communicated in awhile.....does anyone know if there is still openings for the Cozumel day resort some of you are going to?

Thanks,

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wondering about passport renewal times in the Greater Toronto Area .... I decided to drive my application in to the passport office in Mississauga ... I dropped it off in person on October 6th. My hubby's passport was delivered priority post yesterday (within 5 business days since Monday was a holiday). I just got mine today - 6 business days. Standard processing times, did not pay any extra.

• 1 month later...