Lines?

sharimom

When my children were young/teen, we traveled on RCCL. Now we prefer Princess. We are not old and we do not retire at 10 pm, but we also would not use all the amusements. If I want to climb a rock wall or go to a waterpark, I make that the destination. When I cruise, I prefer the classic cruise. Good food, entertainment, less amusement type activities. I find the dance venues, ie Club 6, Skywalkers, etc filled with Gen X'ers and we have a good time. We are traveling next month on the Regal with DD 25, SIL 37, DS 21 and they are all extremely excited to go on Princess. They have been on Princess in the last year and do not miss the drunken pool games, waterslides, etc.

IF you are traveling with kids and teens....then RCCL might be an excellent fit for your family.

When my children were young/teen, we traveled on RCCL. Now we prefer Princess. We are not old and we do not retire at 10 pm, but we also would not use all the amusements. If I want to climb a rock wall or go to a waterpark, I make that the destination. When I cruise, I prefer the classic cruise. Good food, entertainment, less amusement type activities. I find the dance venues, ie Club 6, Skywalkers, etc filled with Gen X'ers and we have a good time. We are traveling next month on the Regal with DD 25, SIL 37, DS 21 and they are all extremely excited to go on Princess. They have been on Princess in the last year and do not miss the drunken pool games, waterslides, etc.

IF you are traveling with kids and teens....then RCCL might be an excellent fit for your family.

That post kinda sums up the differences - RCI more lively, Princess more refined.

Neither is better than the other, but one will suit you better than the other

JB :)

Princess. Price wise they are about the same. I like the food and service a lot better on Princess. When I'm on Royal you enjoy the trip but there are subtle things that take away from the experience. Many of the food options are extra rather than being included, towels picked up on top deck are linked to your room and you are charged if not returned, diet coke is some kind of weird tasting generic, many times we'd bring flat pop with ice melted to a bar on RCL and they'd put in two ice cubes and a 1" of pop rather than dumping (where am I going to dump it the toilet or the the pool?), movies on top deck was offered but all food and bar service on top deck was closed, waiter service is generally not as good but of course that varies, and you have to pay to watch movies in the room. Food is an A on both but it is one of those things where it is 94 RCl and 96 Princess. What I like about Princess is not having to check out towels, a pop pass that has mocktails so it is like having unlimited frozen alcohol without the lead, movies under the stars where you get warm quilts popcorn cookies milk and waiters that will refill your pop pass cups without guilting you for a alcoholic drink, cheaper gift prices (not buy much but things like t-shirts and books), and friendlier service in general. TBH, I would only do RCL if I was on their new larger ships. I'm fine with Princess. Disney is hands down the best but with Princess I can get 90% of the core quality, prices that usually drop 2-3 times, top service, and I save enough that I can typically bump my cruise up to a 8-9 day or Alaska trip for the price of Disney cruise. I'd rather have more days, afford to change it up location wise, and still stay under budget so I can go at least once a year. Just as an example with the triple promo I got last October I'm going on a Panama 10 day cruise for $1000 more than my average budget for a 7 day cruise. I would still recommend everyone go on at least 1 disney cruise and don't be afraid of going without kids.

John Bull is quite right (I might quibble about "refined"). To expand a bit, different ships within a cruise line have different facilities, the demographics of a school-holiday cruise are different from off-season.

A competent travel agent- who has sailed personally or has customers like you who have given them trip reports- is worth finding. Buying solely on price from a telephone sales clerk is simply gambling.