transportation options cruise port to French side

Ken Greco

We walked to front street (I think), or whatever shopping area you can walk to on the sidewalk that runs along the street right outside the port. Then you can take a bus (van) to the French side for like $2 a person. If it's hot and you have a lot of stuff to carry or small children that don't keep up well, it might be worth just paying the $7/person ferry ride to the shopping area and then picking up the $2/person van, or a taxi.

Sunday's seem to be a bit more difficult because there aren't as many busses running and a lot of shops are closed, so you may wait longer for a bus or not see one in certain shopping areas where they would normally be on a weekday. We had that issue on a Sunday during summertime and we also ended up paying the bus driver as a taxi service to take us to orient beach because there is no bus that goes there. I feel like I've read on these boards that the bus drivers will no longer do that, but who knows. Taxis cost $7/person each way.

Check the St Maarten port forum for up to date info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

The bus mentioned doesn't go directly to any French-side beaches.

The best way would be to just grab a taxi at the Cruise Facility.

A ride to Orient, for instance, should cost between $10 pp (if just two of you) down to $8 pp if you join a taxi grouping passengers.

If you're interested in other beaches, please post here.

gary

If there are many ships in port do not go anywhere where you are not assured of a cab back. I went to a beach restaurant by cab, the cab driver committed to coming back for the return trip and didn't and the restaurant owner was unable to find a cab because they were all busy. I begged another patron to drive us to the port, and they only said yes when I offered double the cab fare.

Last time we were there we just went to the cab stand near the port. Cabbie took us to the marina where you get the ferry to Pinel Island, and came back and picked us up at an agreed upon time. It was a great day.

Wondering which Beach Restaurant this was?

gary

I am wondering this as well. My one fear about going to Grand Case is not getting a cab back. Did it once and the restaurant did call a taxi for us but what if one had not been available to come get us. I never even considered that this could be an issue. For others to be clear there is no taxi stand with taxis waiting in Grand Case as far as I can tell. It is not like in Phillips rug, at the pier or even Orient.

I am wondering this as well. My one fear about going to Grand Case is not getting a cab back. Did it once and the restaurant did call a taxi for us but what if one had not been available to come get us. I never even considered that this could be an issue. For others to be clear there is no taxi stand with taxis waiting in Grand Case as far as I can tell. It is not like in Phillips rug, at the pier or even Orient.

The taxi's in Grand Case wait at the airport in Grand Case about a 5 minute drive from restaurant row/Grand Case Beach. I have seen lot's of taxi's waiting there. There are places that I would be concerned about getting a taxi back from like Baie Prune, or the ferry to Pinel AKA the Cul de Sac, but Grand Case is not on that list.

WOW! So much info...much of it not quite accurate. We have rented apartments in Grand Case....and spent weeks driving around the island (Dutch and French side) in our rental car. If one does go to Grand Case for lunch, most of the best restaurants are closed (they only open for dinner). But, there are quite a few restaurants open for lunch...several on the beach (a big tourist draw). Finding a taxi in Grand Case (to go back to the port or anywhere) in the afternoon is difficult. Yes, there is a small (secondary) airport near (not in) Grand Case...and there will be a few taxis there ONLY if a flight is scheduled to arrive from a nearby island. But that still does not get those few taxis into town. And calling for a taxi in St Maarten is a crap shoot as the taxis will only respond to a call if they are not already busy.

So, if you relying on taxis it is wise to only rely on them for major tourist places like Orient Beach or Maho Beach...where it is generally easy to find a taxi. If you want to go afar, either keep your taxi or use a rental car. And give yourself adequate time to get from the French Side (especially near Marigot) back to the port since you are at the mercy of a 2 lane road.

As to renting a car, that is fine for those that want to explore away from the normal cruise passenger frequented places....but just make sure to get back to the Phillipsburg area with lots of time (at least an hour) to spare. We have personally been caught in traffic jams (caused by accidents) that closed the road for more then 30 min. And if you are at a place like Grand Case (or Marigot) there really is not a good alternative route.

Hank

I was in st martin today from 9a to 7p. Our boat tour was Unfortunately cancelled because of swells in anguilla so one hour before we docked, my husband and I rented a car from coastal since hertz was sold out. We went to orient, grand case mullet bay. Walked to maho to watch a few planes. Drove back to cruise port by 515pm

Had a great day. It is possible to drive around island and very easy.

The place was called Dreams, about ten minutes outside of Marigot, in Baie Nettle. I've been there twice. The pros: quiet, beautiful, comfortable, uncrowded, clean restroom, nice boutique, delicious food.

The con: getting stuck out there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147349-d3733584-Reviews-Dreams_Beach_Bar_Restaurant-Baie_Nettle_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

We got there around 10 am, had our pick of chairs and umbrellas, no charge. A couple of boats pulled up, discharged their passengers for lunch or beach. Beach was never full. This is a gem, as long as you get a ride back. Food not cheap.

Edited by JFontaine

The place was called Dreams, about ten minutes outside of Marigot, in Baie Nettle. I've been there twice. The pros: quiet, beautiful, comfortable, uncrowded, clean restroom, nice boutique, delicious food.

The con: getting stuck out there.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147349-d3733584-Reviews-Dreams_Beach_Bar_Restaurant-Baie_Nettle_Saint_Martin_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html

We got there around 10 am, had our pick of chairs and umbrellas, no charge. A couple of boats pulled up, discharged their passengers for lunch or beach. Beach was never full. This is a gem, as long as you get a ride back. Food not cheap.

We know that place and can imagine taxi issues on a very busy island day. One should certainly allow extra time to get a ride back. If all else fails I think we would just walk out to the road and over to one of the nearby resorts (like the Mercure) where there would usually be a taxi hanging out.

A problem (for cruisers) is that there are only a limited number of taxis on the island and (when there are a few ships in port) they tend to work the areas where they get constant business...such as Orient and Maho. Once you move away from the places popular with cruisers (like Dreams, Happy Bay, etc)..finding a taxi becomes more of an issue. And even arranging with a driver to have him come back at a specified time is not a guarantee he will return (they might get a better fare). If one does not want to deal with the taxi issue...a rental car is the best solution.

Hank

I'm very familiar with Dreams, but surprised that there was any problem with finding a taxi after your visit, what with the other restaurants and hotels in the vicinity.

gary

I know in Grand Case there has been issues with Taxi's wanting extra fee's for dropping people off at a restaurant. Perhaps Dreams is on the (x)-list because they refuse to pay that fee.

Like one of the other posters said I would have walked to one of the nearby resorts and ask them to call me a taxi if there wasn't one available.

I also think that knowing the number of ships in port and when those ships sail out is important.

Also, Nettle Bay is near Sandy Ground which is known as a high crime area on the island. Could it be at all possible that location, even in the day ( we avoid this area after dark) might play a role in taxi's not wanting to go to Dreams?

If there are many ships in port do not go anywhere where you are not assured of a cab back. I went to a beach restaurant by cab, the cab driver committed to coming back for the return trip and didn't and the restaurant owner was unable to find a cab because they were all busy. I begged another patron to drive us to the port, and they only said yes when I offered double the cab fare.

Did you ask if you could pay both your fares on your return trip? We have done this in Antigua, Tortola and in Curaçao. Definitely gave us peace of mind. We rent a car in St. Martin so have never had this issue.

In St. Maarten renting a car has its own issues such as the DUI rules especially on the French side, which are stricter than US rules, from what I remember. Also, traffic with 6 ships in port can be very busy and taxi drivers would be better at detouring around traffic than a tourist who is not familiar with the island.

Even with knowledge of the island we always end a DIY cruise day with a planned 1 1/2 - 2 of shopping in town/drinks on the boardwalk. We've even turned our car in early and had Hertz drop us off in town. It gave us peace of mind that the car was turned in without a problem and all we had to do was leave time to get back to port from town which could be walked in 30 minutes or less from where we would go.

PS we believe in Karma and have given folks rides back to hotels and even a tour before without accepting anything but a bottle of cold water on one occasion. Accepting twice the taxi fare is bad Karma to me.

Edited by Karysa

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the island for a week two weeks ago and rented a car and we were stuck in very heavy traffic going through Marigot twice. We wanted to stop for lunch and shopping, but we crawled from one end of town to the other and just kept going and headed south to get out of the area. It was even worse another morning - is that typical? We didn't experience that last visit but that was 11 years ago...

Traffic between the airport and Cole Bay was almost as bad everyday when we were in that area. And there were no ships in port or one smaller ship any of those days. We enjoyed visiting beaches like Dawn and Friar's Bay between storms, but the traffic was a bummer...

We were on the island for a week two weeks ago and rented a car and we were stuck in very heavy traffic going through Marigot twice. We wanted to stop for lunch and shopping, but we crawled from one end of town to the other and just kept going and headed south to get out of the area. It was even worse another morning - is that typical? We didn't experience that last visit but that was 11 years ago...

Traffic between the airport and Cole Bay was almost as bad everyday when we were in that area. And there were no ships in port or one smaller ship any of those days. We enjoyed visiting beaches like Dawn and Friar's Bay between storms, but the traffic was a bummer...

There was construction in Marigot at the time of your visit. By mid-November this was done and traffic was much better.

The Simpson Bay Area is almost always a busy stretch.

We recently zipped from Chesterfield's ( port area) to Mullet bay in 30 minutes by going the causeway bridge route at 4:30 p.m.. That's a really good time but the traffic in the opposite direction was almost at a standstill. Knowing when to go in which direction seems to be the key to not getting stuck in traffic. Luck also helps.

What would be the best way to get to the French side of the island, w/o the beach tours?

I'm really interested in the shopping in the area.

A rental car or a taxi (negotiate the price). There are also shared taxis/mini buses that do run around the island, but there is no schedule. If you want to use these guys its a matter of waving them down...and hoping they have room. Not the best way for cruisers to travel since there is too much uncertainty with no fixed schedule. But you would easily be able to get a shared taxi/mini bus from the port over to Marigot....and probably arrange to get picked up for your return.

Although Marigot has its charm and some decent shops, we have always found the best shopping right in Phillipsburg. And that city is within a 30 min walk to the ships or a short water taxi ride.

Hank