A Wine Lover's Guide to a Bordeaux River Cruise

LauraS

Since the strong reds of the Medoc can be an acquired taste for North American palates more used to California cabernet, your river cruise might be a good time to figure out if these blockbuster wines are for you.

I am surprised to read Bordeaux reds would be considered 'blockbusters' compared to California cabernets.

ToEuropean palates it appears to be the opposite. California generally producers wines with more alcohol and bigger fruits flavours than Bordeaux.

We are red wine drinkers and prefer the reds of the Rhone Valley to Bordeaux. We have a small cellar (300 bottles ) and it has mostly European wines, with a emphasis on Super Tuscans and Rhone varietals (north and south). California cabs are not our favorites, with a few exceptions (Faust, Palermo). We do like some of the red blends from California.

Also, of all of our river cruises, Bordeaux was among our least favorites for ports, scenery and ease of access to interesting and pretty town centers. We loved the city of Bordeaux and plan to go back and spend more time there one of these trips. The Rhone is our favorite of all river cruise itineraries so far.

Also, of all of our river cruises, Bordeaux was among our least favorites for ports, scenery and ease of access to interesting and pretty town centers. .

I agree regarding the scenery. But as far as Viking's tour which I went on (and no doubt the others) the point of this tour are the wines of Bordeaux, to visit places that one has seen on wine labels, and to sample wines and visit vineyards and wineries in different appellations..

It's not about pretty towns - although St Emilion is pretty

If you're not a wine enthusiast, if you don't want to spend your time visiting wineries, and if you are not a fan of Bordeaux wines then I wouldn't recommend this cruise to you.

But if you love Bordaeux wines -- then its heaven to be there on the Dordogne, Gironde and Garonne.

Since the strong reds of the Medoc can be an acquired taste for North American palates more used to California cabernet, your river cruise might be a good time to figure out if these blockbuster wines are for you.

I am surprised to read Bordeaux reds would be considered 'blockbusters' compared to California cabernets.

ToEuropean palates it appears to be the opposite. California generally producers wines with more alcohol and bigger fruits flavours than Bordeaux.

Agreed! We live on the West Coast part of the year but much prefer French Bordeaux over California Cabs. They seem a little lighter, more food friendly and drinkable. But I do think the big alcohol profiletrend is beginning to soften in California. That said, my favorite reds are Russian River and Willamette Valley Pinots even over French Burgundies which seem too lightweight for my palate. As for Super Tuscans, I'm afraid I am too much of a purist and have a large collection of Brunellos to prove it!

It's not that Bordeaux are 'stronger' than Cali Cabs, but there is a definite difference between the old world and new world styles for both French and Italian reds. Also classified Bordeaux are not designed to be drunk when released, so the wines offered at tastings may be more acidic and tannic than US passengers are used to. Therefore I think this warning makes sense, even though it could have been worded better.

It's not that Bordeaux are 'stronger' than Cali Cabs, but there is a definite difference between the old world and new world styles for both French and Italian reds. Also classified Bordeaux are not designed to be drunk when released, so the wines offered at tastings may be more acidic and tannic than US passengers are used to..

We did several tastings with Scenic in Bordeaux last year. All of them were at chateaux or wineries and the wines all had some age on them. We did look to purchase some of the wine we tasted but shipping was not offered. The wines sold for 40-50E bottle.

ITherefore I think this warning makes sense, even though it could have been worded better.

I agree, maybe the word 'blockbuster' applied to wine implies something different in the US to what I understand.

Regarding classed growths; at Ch Kirwan in 2015 with Viking we were served the 2010 vintage with dinner which was delicious. The only other classed growth tasted was Ch Giscours (also a 3rd Growth Margaux, I don't recall the vinatge but it was bottled, i.e. nota barrel sample)), but there were plenty of other good Bordeaux wines tasted and drunk on the trip

That said, my favorite reds are Russian River and Willamette Valley Pinots even over French Burgundies which seem too lightweight for my palate.

Indeed, an example of the differences in climate with Burgundy being at the northern limits for winemaking, and California blessed with sun.