Sea days.

Lulubelle45

Considering booking a 15 day Hawaiian return cruise from Vancouver next year. The longest of my 4 cruises was a week to Alaska and and the most sea days in a row was 2. This cruise has 5 sea days on either end. I think its on the Star Pricess. Has anyone done this before that could tell me what type of acttivities they have and how are the seas? Ive not been seasick but my travel partners have varying degrees of seasick.

We have done the Hawaii cruise 3 times from Los Angeles and there are lots of activities to keep you busy and entertained. If you or your friend have issues with seasickness, I recommend Bonine as the sea can get rough at times and also depending on the location of your cabin.

All the normal indoor sea day activities that you have on a short cruise plus uke lessons, hula dance, lei making, other Hawaii activities, pop choir, line dancing, ballroom dancing, cruise long activities such as a cruise long trivia game, maybe lectures, movies. Not much sitting around the pool since many of the days will be cool.

We like the sea days, there never seems to be enough of them.

We cruised to Hawaii Spring of 2013 and absolutely fell in love with Sea Days! While the Hawaiian Islands are wonderful and offer so many sites to see, the sea days are fantastic. ;) So much so that if we had had the money and there was a cabin available we would have got right back on and done it again! :eek: :eek:

So now we are cruising to Hawaii in just 7 days but we are not stopping there as we booked our first 28 day cruise which includes Hawaii, Samoa, Pago Pago, Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahiti before sailing back to LA. My DW blames it all on that 1st Hawaiian cruise and I agree! :p Be careful at those sea days are addictive! :eek: :D

We booked our Hawaiian cruise from San Francisco in April 2013 not knowing what so many sea days would be like because we enjoy being active on our cruises. Even though we don't involve ourselves in the Hawaiian Culture programs there were other things to keep us busy both indoors and outside. We enjoyed that cruise so much that we booked it again in November 2013 (same year.) That was a unique year in that my husband had a lot of vacation time with a job change so we weren't able to do it again until...NEXT MONTH! Yep, we booked another Hawaii cruise from SF and we sail the end of November. We've learned that a little exercise in the morning every day, getting through several chapters of a long-delayed book (or two) and standing watch with a good pair of binoculars watching for pelagic birds and sea life fills our days perfectly. We need to allow ourselves to even do nothing every once in a while to let our batteries re-charge.

Our first cruise was a 17 day PCanal crossing on the Island, from Ft. lauderdale to LA. Yes, there were many sea days, and I was nervous going into them -- but I loved every minute at sea. That's when you can really let go of the land and re-orient your mind to a floating existence. In other words, relaxing ...

We did 11 days on RCL (once was enough) this past summer in the Baltic. That wasn't a cruise, that was a water-borne bus trip. No nautical/maritime atmosphere at all. Only one sea day.

A week from tomorrow, we sail in Ruby for a 7 day to Mexico. 7 days, 3 sea days. ... About right.

Just keep an open mind and you may be surprised. Enjoy.

We have done the Hawaii cruise from San Pedro to HI several times. We usually go in Jan. or Feb. and have had experienced everything from calm seas to 30 ft. swells. My wife suffers from motion sickness, however she has found that taking a daily capsule of ground ginger has solved the problem and without the side effects of patches or pills. She starts taking ginger several days before departure and then daily while on the cruise. Since she started this routine she has had no motion sickness (even in 30 ft. seas).

Considering booking a 15 day Hawaiian return cruise from Vancouver next year. The longest of my 4 cruises was a week to Alaska and and the most sea days in a row was 2. This cruise has 5 sea days on either end. I think its on the Star Pricess. Has anyone done this before that could tell me what type of acttivities they have and how are the seas? Ive not been seasick but my travel partners have varying degrees of seasick.

Seasickness first: You must begin medicating before you get sick, like 12 hours ahead of time. How do you know when? If you take the medication at bedtime you get the benefit without most of the side effects. I usually recommend Meclazine to my sail-boat guests. Plus a lot of good food choices going in. Heavy fat diets are a real aid to throwing up...

Sea days are an experience of a past time when our ancestors spent time on the sea in their travels from one land to another. Even a generation or two ago had this experience, so in a way you are able to experience a part of what the saw and felt, albeit in pretty posh surroundings. The pace of life slows way down, if you allow it to. I find sea days to be wonderful !!

We have done the LA roundtrip version of both the trip to Hawaii as well as the south seas venture several times and love it all.

We did it was it was a 14 day cruise. I LOVED having so many sea days, but DH doesn't want to do this cruise again due to having so many. It really depends on your cruising personality. Do you like sea days? They make for a relaxing cruise. All of the standard daily activities will be offered like shows, crafts, games, Bingo, spa seminars, demonstrations, etc. In addition, Hawaiian themed activities like lei making, hula lessons, and ukulele lessons will be scheduled. I recommend participating in those. For our sailing in March, the seas were moderate the first 2 days and calm the rest of the cruise. I took ginger pills the first 2 days because I was feeling the effects of the motion, and that helped. Have fun! I would do the Hawaii cruise again in a heartbeat if I could convince DH!

We have done Hawaii 4 times as others mention it can be rough or very smooth. there will at least 4-5 cool days, I don't know what ship you are going on. We prefer smaller like the Star or Golden especially if they have a covered pool. Also we noticed that like Ruby, Crown etc. .. it gets pretty crowded on sea days since there are 400 more people with almost the same space.

I tried to figure out if the ocean is rough or smooth between CA and HI, and got conflicting reports. Probably spring is better. The answer depends on how much people feel the motion.

It can get rough while crossing the California Current which takes about 2 days. The first two as well as the last two can be a little chilly.

Sea days are an experience of a past time when our ancestors spent time on the sea in their travels from one land to another. Even a generation or two ago had this experience, so in a way you are able to experience a part of what the saw and felt, albeit in pretty posh surroundings. The pace of life slows way down, if you allow it to. I find sea days to be wonderful !!

Not so long ago. I have a photo of a college classmate on board a ship when he was a youngster while his family was moving to Hawaii. (He is standing next to Hilo Hattie.)

It can get rough while crossing the California Current which takes about 2 days. The first two as well as the last two can be a little chilly.

Not so long ago. I have a photo of a college classmate on board a ship when he was a youngster while his family was moving to Hawaii. (He is standing next to Hilo Hattie.)

The operative phrase is 'can get'. We had no real issues last half of October out of Los Angeles. Mom had horrible seas going against the Pineapple Express in December.

Rough waters are subjective. Plenty of Caribbean only cruisers thought our October cruise was rough. Those of us who always sail on the West Coast didn't feel a thing.

I've loved all the sea days I've had on all my cruises. I find they are very relaxing, just sitting out on deck, under the shade with a good book, simply watching the waves go by; no matter how big they are, or aren't.

I love sea days. That said, I would advise anyone who really wants to see Hawaii to do so on a land tour. A few hours in each island is not enough. The 15 day cruise is more about the ship than the islands.

Edited by dorisis

Thank you so much for the info. I'll look into the suggested seasick remedies as i know some are not available in Canada. Do the sea wrist bands work? Those Hawaii themes sound fun. Ant get my DH to cruise period so its usually my sister or daughters that teavel with me

I swear by my sea bands. They have worked for me for probably over 20 years. I wear them for the entire duration of my cruise just in case. I'm definitely going to look into the ginger capsules though because I even sometimes feel a bit queasy when the seas are moderate even with my bands on. I think 30 ft swells would definitely make me sick. I do know after a lifetime of motion sickness that if I can take a nap it resets my brain and I will wake up feeling fine. So as long as my Sea Bands are on while I'm sleeping through that nap I should wake up just fine.

I would love to have that many sea dayss. We had to back to back on our last cruise and I loved it! I also love ending with a sea day instead of a port day. I also have no desire to deal with the hassle of flying to Hawaii from Tennessee so to me that amount of days I would be grateful for. I think the only thing I would have trouble with is which activities I might miss out on on the second leg so I do too many on the first leg. I have looked at some of the transatlantic crossings combined with European cruises and the number of sea days is crazy! I'm not sure I could handle quite that many but only because I like to get out and do things. I honestly did not think I would even like the sea days and they are now my favorite thing.

Edited by Mrs.Gosse