Anniversary Celebration question...?

bex_disney

I've been on Princess cruises before where someone has had birthday/anniversary balloons and signs outside their door. Does this cost to get the sign? And how do I go about ordering the sign.

Also for the birthday celebration people at dinner time have gotten a cake. Does this cost too?

Thank you!

Though I believe in order to celebrate, your cruise has to be up to 30 days before or after the birthday or anniversary date in order for the ship to celebrate it with you.

However, I stopped typing this for a few minutes and went to the website to double check...I could not find any restrictions! Maybe that's an "old" rule that we've still been abiding by all this time! But you would think Princess would have some sort of a time restriction or else everyone on board would be celebrating their birthday and/or anniversary no matter how far away the date is!

Our last cruise in Aug 2015, we had my birthday and our anniversary to celebrate as well as celebrating my new job (had only been in my office about a week but cruise booked way prior to my getting the new job). They put up signs for the first two but not the last one. And we only received a single notice of an event to be celebrated in the dining room even though all three were entered into Cruise Personalizer with different dates noted for each.

We forgot the one card we did receive (anniversary) as we were meeting new friends for specialty dining. When we finally got back to the cabin, quite late in the evening, there was an unexpected knock at the door and room service was there with the little cake they would have given us had we taken the card!! We put the cake in the fridge (we had a little container with us as the plate was too big) and shared it the next day.

It was fine that not all 3 were actually "noticed" with the dining room card--we didn't need that as we knew when we were celebrating. We didn't require singing (been there, done that...and it's more fun when you are traveling with others vs. just us) and we certainly weren't going to starve if we didn't get 3 little cakes!! So no complaining from us about it. I tell you this last part so if it happens to you when celebrating multiple events, you likely don't need to make anything of it if at least one is recognized.

Enjoy your celebrations!

We celebrated a June anniversary in January because that was when the cruise and our schedule worked out. Princess was fine with it and there was no problem. This time Our Alaska cruise is actually on our anniversary so that will be fun.

As mentioned above, add the date you want to celebrate to the Personalizer.

The balloons and sign should be put up by your cabin steward on the date you selected.

To avoid disappointment, when you first meet your cabin steward, make sure the celebration is on his/her list for you.

If you are in traditional dining, your waitstaff will be informed on the celebration day so that you can get the small cake and the song. It does not hurt to confirm with your headwaiter that your celebration is on his list for you. If you will be celebrating in a specialty restaurant that evening, let the headwaiter there know as will not have the list that is sent to the traditional dining room.

If you are in anytime dining, there should be a card in your cabin to bring to dinner on the day you would like the cake and song.

We forgot the one card we did receive (anniversary) as we were meeting new friends for specialty dining. When we finally got back to the cabin, quite late in the evening, there was an unexpected knock at the door and room service was there with the little cake they would have given us had we taken the card!!

Wow!! We have neglected to use the card for a cake several times and NEVER got a special delivery.:(

I wouldnt have thought a cruiseline would celebrate a new job. Seems a little unnecessary. I have my 60th birthday and wedding anniversary on the same day on Glacier Bay Alaska. Looking forward to that.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention the new job as a celebration (we certainly were celebrating it!) since Princess lists many events under "Occasion" when you sign up in the Personalizer.

They include: Anniversary, Birthday, Graduation, Honeymoon, Retirement, and Other. So it seemed to me a new job celebration would fall under other!!

Wishing you great weather when you are in Glacier Bay celebrating--that will be a good day for sure! Enjoy :) :)

(DH will also celebrate his 60th this year, on the Pacific Princess this December!)

Edited by gotta cruise again

I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention the new job as a celebration (we certainly were celebrating it!) since Princess lists many events under "Occasion" when you sign up in the Personalizer.

They include: Anniversary, Birthday, Graduation, Honeymoon, Retirement, and Other. So it seemed to me a new job celebration would fall under other!!

Since the signs and balloons which used to be specific (Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, etc.) and now are generic (Congratulations), anything could qualify for that congrats sign.

Since the signs and balloons which used to be specific (Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary, etc.) and now are generic (Congratulations), anything could qualify for that congrats sign.

On Dawn Princess in August, they were specific- Happy Anniversary (for us), Happy Birthday for several cabins in the area of ours.

Though I believe in order to celebrate, your cruise has to be up to 30 days before or after the birthday or anniversary date in order for the ship to celebrate it with you.

How on earth would Princess know when your anniversary is? There are also more than one kind of anniversary. What if it was celebrating one year cancer free? Plus when the kids were young we always celebrated their birthdays on every cruise no matter when it really was. We were once asked what day my DD's birthday was. We said, the next sea day. What day is that. I dunno, the next sea day :D .

Depending how many are sailing with you there is also another option for the cake. When my DGS turned 3 (or was it 4?) we ordered a half sheet cake for him. There were around 12 of us and it did cost us. I forget what is was, like $1 per person. It was yummy! One of the best cakes I've ever had. We ran into another couple that ordered the bigger cake to celebrate their anniversary and they wanted to share with the rest of their table and anyone else that wanted a piece.

How on earth would Princess know when your anniversary is?

In My Princess, My Profile, Personal Information: it asks for your birthdate and wedding date.

In my earlier post, I also had said: "Though I believe in order to celebrate, your cruise has to be up to 30 days before or after the birthday or anniversary date in order for the ship to celebrate it with you.

However, I stopped typing this for a few minutes and went to the website to double check...I could not find any restrictions! Maybe that's an "old" rule that we've still been abiding by all this time!"

I am most glad to know that an event can be celebrated at any time of the year if one wants to; we sail enough now that we try to plan a cruise around the time of a special event but we also sail with friends who cannot do that--now we know to have them celebrate something special then!

Thank you for the information on the cake--very much appreciated! I'm sure we'll use that tip. When we celebrated DH's 50th along with 43 other people who joined us in surprising him, we scheduled his birthday on the actual date, which also was baked Alaska night (back when the parade utilized real fire--LOL!).