Refund OBC -- Canadian

In advance of our TA this fall we made a substantial OBC to cover several excursions, hotel charges and a few drinks. This was done when Princess offered a 10% exchange rate.

A port was cancelled with its tours, we drank far less than expected and not a thing in the shops interested me beyond a few sale T shirts for my husband.

We ended up with a several hundred dollar credit. As expected it was not simply refunded to our US VISA with which we'd registered at sign in.

But in just a bit under three weeks the cheque arrived as promised from California.

This is just a note to confirm that the system does work with no nagging needed. I just made one call upon our return to confirm things and all was correct.

Ruth

I have had (and others have reported here) the pax services desk will tell you that the refund will be made to your credit card...that is not correct. I have had 2 instances where the refund was mailed by check.

Also, be careful the check looks like junk mail. It does not come from Princess, it comes from a clearing house that they use.

We had much the same experience last month after our BI cruise . We had about $125 by way of a credit on our statement which they said would be refunded to our BofA credit card. After a wait of about 3 weeks a cheque arrived in the mail from a 3rd party in Oregon. ....the cheque as expected was in USD.:)

I have had (and others have reported here) the pax services desk will tell you that the refund will be made to your credit card...that is not correct. I have had 2 instances where the refund was mailed by check.

Also, be careful the check looks like junk mail. It does not come from Princess, it comes from a clearing house that they use.

Sound Advice, it did look a bit like junk mail, but since we get little mail from the US and I was checking for it, it wasn't a problem.

The front desk knew the routine when I checked to confirm balance and when I called upon return home the person I spoke with was GREAT. She gave me a reference number, and the phone number of the 'bank' in California which would issue the cheque.

Ruth

We are just off the Island Princess and had a substantial OBC due to a move over offer for our originally scheduled cruise in July. We went to the desk on the last night and asked if it could be refunded in cash or have a cheque mailed out. Was told by the desk clerk who checked with the financial manager that it would be refunded to our credit card. Told we should call Princess customer relations when we got home to see if a cheque could be mailed. When I called they said they always mail a cheque and don't know why the ships tell people it will be credited to their credit card. I was also told it would be refunded in US dollars They did say it would take 6 to 8 weeks so I hope the report of it only taking 2 to 3 weeks is correct.

We disembarked on the 21st and rec'd it yesterday, the 9th, which is pretty good considering our mail system.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth. Can you tell me the name of the company who issue the cheque? When we did our move over offer they also covered our air change fees and they mailed a cheque for that although it was in Canadian funds. It came from a company called Bottomline Technologies Inc and was mailed from Portland Maine. I wonder if it is the same for the refund cheque. Thanks Brian

Thanks Ruth. Can you tell me the name of the company who issue the cheque? When we did our move over offer they also covered our air change fees and they mailed a cheque for that although it was in Canadian funds. It came from a company called Bottomline Technologies Inc and was mailed from Portland Maine. I wonder if it is the same for the refund cheque. Thanks Brian

Brian,, unfortunately I've already cashed the cheque, and all that's on the enclosed transaction report is Princess Cruises. And no identification on envelope.

When I called 1 800 Princess ext 44411 upon our return, the girl gave me the name of the bank and I'm afraid I've forgotten it.

Ruth

PS Just found my notes from the call and have written, B of America, Global payments -- called a bottom line cheque! B of America number is 1 877 443 6944 but I never had to call.

Edited by Been There, Planning That

It seems like everyone at the front desk has the same misinformation. A refund can not be made to a credit card unless there was a charge against it. I know that I paid for my cruise with a different card than used for my onboard account. My account had OBC which is all I used. The military portion is refundable. They indicated I would be credited the balance but I knew that was impossible. Princess would be receiving their charge fee that they never paid. On the final statement it indicated that amounts under $25 would be refunded in cash and higher amounts would be by check in 4-6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if the refund rules are different depending on where the booking was made / additional OBC purchased.

I am in the UK and purchased additional OBC, through the Southampton office at a defined exchange rate. I paid in Sterling (UK pounds) using my UK debit card.

I don't expect not to use all my OBC, but if I didn't, I would rather hope that it will come back down the same route as it was purchased and arrive in my bank in Sterling.

Sending me a US dollar cheque would be a very expensive solution and not a good idea.

Not sure how it works in the UK. Our cruise was booked through Princess Cruises Canada. Some of our refund was pre purchased OBC bought with a Canadian credit card at 10% exchanged rate. Most of the refund was from refundable OBC we received because we took a move over offer. The cheque was from the Royal Bank of Scotland with the branch being from Rhode Island. We had previously received a cheque from them for our airline transfer fees which were paid in Canadian dollars and that cheque was also from the Royal Bank of Scotland but from a Quebec branch and in Canadian dollars.