Celebrity Edge to Feature Three-Deck High Eden Lounge

LauraS

I just got off a cruise where they had a presentation on EDGE with pictures. I'm not sure overall that its a positive. Many parts are not known yet, but it looks like more suites, and more "private" areas where non-suite customers can't go. Definitely Celebrity is going more with a "class" system, just like the Titanic. Yes I know with Auqa and Concierge they have that now, but the EDGE seems to extend that further.

The moving "Magic" lounge is interesting, especially for tenders. We shall see.

It looks interesting, but I foresee a number of problems:

(1) nobody has mentioned this, but it makes the aft view of the ship really ugly

(2) someone has already mentioned that all these ramps and stairs are neither efficient nor friendly to the mobility-challenged [did you notice how young all these designers are? do they have a clue how the average-age cruise passenger gets around?]

(3) the restaurant cuisine sounds too adventurous for many current Celebrity passengers [sea Urchin with dry ice garnish, served on a bowl of live fish anyone?] -- look at the Princess forum to see the negative reaction that has frozen the rollout of Curtis Stone's Share restaurants there.

(4) people have been complaining that unlimited beverage packages have slowed service -- imagine the impact of the bartender climbing the ladder on the 20-foot tall Library of Plants to get fresh garnish for every drink!

(5) the entertainment budget has been cut back dramatically on all Celebrity ships, so where are they getting all these performance artists, aerial artists, digeridoo beatboxers [i kid you not], roller skaters, sitar players, etc. for the Eden entertainment throughout the day and night?

The bottom line: if Celebrity delivers on all these promises, the cost of operating Edge will be far higher than the S-class ships. So the price peaks we have been seeing for the inaugural season cruises are probably what will be normal for these ships going forward. Maybe that will be a good business plan for the young crowd that is starting to make big bucks in their careers and can move up from Carnival, NCL and RCL -- but it sure isn't the Celebrity we have come to know and love :(

As much as I dislike saying this, it appears Celebrity Edge maybe sinking before even getting launched. I've sailed on enough cruises, mostly Celebrity to know this type of atmosphere is not what cruisers are wanting, Celebrity tried something similar in the past and it failed miserably. All the glitz and glamour isn't necessarily going to make for a good cruise experience, if they truly consulted with their passengers before going in this direction, I would be surprised, this certainly isn't how they became successful. Their dining experience was at onetime the best in the business, and their attention to detail along with outstanding service made them popular. They should consider what made them so popular and focus on that, not this glitz and glamour stuff.

Edited by derekjp47
typo

It all kind of reminds me of that creepy guazy crap & the performance artists they tried in the Sky Lounge a number of years ago that went over like a lead balloon.

Really? A 20 foot tall library of plants, what the heck is that? Didgeridoo beatboxers? Sitars? Are they goung to have Ravi Shankah, George Harrison from his mystical period?

Well, I guess there will be less Captain's Club Elites and above on board, which is what they are hoping for.

As much as I dislike saying this, it appears Celebrity Edge maybe sinking before even getting launched. I've sailed on enough cruises, mostly Celebrity to know this type of atmosphere is not what cruisers are wanting, Celebrity tried something similar in the past and it failed miserably. All the glitz and glamour isn't necessarily going to make for a good cruise experience, if they truly consulted with their passengers before going in this direction, I would be surprised, this certainly isn't how they became successful. Their dining experience was at onetime the best in the business, and their attention to detail along with outstanding service made them popular. They should consider what made them so popular and focus on that, not this glitz and glamour stuff.

I think that derek has well articulated the frustration many are having with the Edge in particular and with Celebrity in general.

With the latest reveal (Eden) it is clear that X is going in a different direction.

this type of atmosphere is not what cruisers are wanting

Current cruisers yes ... but they are not who X is courting.

tried something similar in the past and it failed miserably

The past is past ... "it's a new world, Golde".

truly consulted with their passengers before going in this direction

They are not concerned with their [current] passengers ... but trying to attract a new demographic ... even at the expense of turning off their current clientele.

what made them so popular and focus on that, not this glitz and glamour stuff.

But that is "so twentieth century" ... not their current focus.

it appears Celebrity Edge maybe sinking before even getting launched

Not really sinking ... we will know after the first couple of years ... just not for the CC crowd, apparently.

Who is Celebrity, then, after?

1. Suite customers. On Edge, the "Retreat" looks nice, serene. Suite customers get their own Personal Playground.

2. The New-Kids-On-The-Block: the moneyed, artsy, types who like leading-edge design, go to emursive theatre., etc.

A quote I heard recently: "“New York is filled with people who want to embrace things that might be avant garde or out of the box.”

3. "Value" cruisers who don't care much about loss of service/quality ... just want a bargain-and-a-beach. (Nothing wrong with that.)

Make your plans accordingly.

For the rest of us: "we will always have Eclipse". Oops, that is leaving North America after next year.

The point is: X is movin' on. RCI had a very good year so they must be doing something right ... for them.

The more I see and hear about this new class of ship, the more two thoughts come to mind:

This ship is NOT for me or my cruising style.

Please, OH PLEASE Celebrity, KEEP the M class ships!!!

George

I wouldn't get too attached to the M-class ships.