Has anyone ever missed the ship on embarkation day?

abisha

I was wondering if anyone has ever missed their ship on embarkation day due to delayed/cancelled flight or some other weird reason. If so what did you do? DH and I had thought about it and said we better have a plan B just in case. We do have travel insurance but the thought of not getting on the ship after months of anticipation would be terrible. When we booked airfare in March the prices were outrageous and we opted for a flight arriving in Miami at 12:15 as it was the lowest price. TA said that would be fine. Of course, over the past few days, I'm seeing a lot lower prices into Miami and more choices of earlier flights (doesn't it figure). Anyways, is it possible to try to get on another ship leaving the next day? I don't think that would even work as the Destiny leaves on a Monday and I have no idea if any ships on any line out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale leave on a Tuesday ??? He said a plan B could be to rent a car and go the the keys.

Any stories and experiences out there?

Could you try seeing if your airline will switch you to an earlier flight? Or fly in the day before?

I already did...for a change fee of $150 per ticket:eek: (there's four of us)..so that's definitely a no go.:(

We haven't missed but have seen people that have..... I don't think it's as easy as 'catching the next ship' - I think your cruise is just missed. If you have a direct flight you will probably be okay but the way our flights have gone lately, we've had to RUN to the next gate (even with an hour and a half scheduled between flights) and get to the gate as the plane was boarding.

Be sure you keep the phone number of the cruiseline with you so you can call if there is a problem.... they may wait.

I was wondering if anyone has ever missed their ship on embarkation day due to delayed/cancelled flight or some other weird reason. If so what did you do? DH and I had thought about it and said we better have a plan B just in case. We do have travel insurance but the thought of not getting on the ship after months of anticipation would be terrible. When we booked airfare in March the prices were outrageous and we opted for a flight arriving in Miami at 12:15 as it was the lowest price. TA said that would be fine. Of course, over the past few days, I'm seeing a lot lower prices into Miami and more choices of earlier flights (doesn't it figure). Anyways, is it possible to try to get on another ship leaving the next day? I don't think that would even work as the Destiny leaves on a Monday and I have no idea if any ships on any line out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale leave on a Tuesday ??? He said a plan B could be to rent a car and go the the keys.

It is very unlikely that you would be able to switch ships. Most ships sail full.

Typically if you miss the ship you try to catch up with it via and airplane.

Check with the cruise line, normally they want you on board 90 minutes prior to the ship leaving. So, if the ship leaves at 5:00pm Carnival will want you on board by 3:30pm. From the time your plane lands until you are at the port can easily take one hour.

Are you on a non-stop or are you switching planes at some hub? It is possible that if your first flight is late you could miss your connecting flight and that could result in your missing the ship. This is why most experienced cruisers arrive the day before.

If you miss the ship, especially considering the flights you selected is

A) Fly to the next port that the ship stops at and get on there.

B) Follow plan B and have a good time.

Under the situation you are in, I'm not sure any insurance is going to cover you. The ship sailed on time, you just were not on it.

Now, if your common carrier (the airline) is the reason you missed the cruise, you might be covered by trip delay. Each insurance company has a different definition of trip delay. That definition varies by number of hours of delay. That difference can be anywhere from 4 hours to 24 hours.

Usually a "Cancel for any reason" requires you to cancel 24 hours prior.

I have never missed boarding, but did this same itinerary in December '10. There were a few couples that missed the ship in Miami, and they got together and rented one of the 'shuttle' buses or extended vans, and had a driver take them to the Keys to board the ship the next day. I think there were 6 of them all together, and they said it worked out cheaper than renting a car. They had been delayed in Atlanta due to their connecting flight's plane having mechanical difficulties...you just never know !

Never missed... BUT... we always, always arrive in the port city at least the day before (sometimes 3 or 4 days if it is a new city to us - we had a wonderful time in Vancouver, for example). Too many things can go wrong, so we build in the extra day whether we are driving or flying. It's a vacation, we don't need the pressure of cutting it close on travel time.

Of course if we're driving, we stay at a hotel that lets us park the car free while we are on the cruise. Another reason to go a day early and the night's stay often costs us less than parking the car commercially would.

We had a friend miss the ship a few cruises ago and she caught up with us at the next port at quite a high cost to her. She flew to Long Beach from New York on sail day because her travel agent said it would be OK. When we found out her schedule we knew there was a possibility she'd miss the ship, and she did! The next cruise she was on with us, she flew in TWO days early!!! We live in northern CA and travel to southern CA and would never travel on cruise day, we always arrive the day before.

I've never missed a cruise, but I've missed lots of airline flights and connections. It isn't just weather in your area you have to worry about. Weather delays in another part of the country can delay your airplane from arriving for you to board. 3-4 hours late when you're just going to a hotel is annoying, but workable. When you need to catch a ship, it has potential to be really problematic.

This is why I choose to use the airfare offered by the cruiseline. They will not schedule for a flight they do not think you can make. If you miss the boat then it's covered and they fly you to the next port at their cost and not yours.

Please note that insurance is highly unlikely to cover your situation. Destiny departure time is 4:00 pm. Most insurance policies require a trip delay minimum of 4-6 hours (some even 12 hours). You would not have that time if your scheduled arrival time is 1215.

yeah, we did with blizzards and tornadoes. turns out insurance doesn't get you a refund. it pays for you to catch up to the ship, with no refund for the missing leg.

I already did...for a change fee of $150 per ticket:eek: (there's four of us)..so that's definitely a no go.:(

But if you call on(they are all a little different) and go "stand by" on an earlier flight, it won't cost you anything thing..Who are you flying? We do it all the time. Book the cheapest out on a day, then we keep watching the flight we want and then we call about 12 hours ahead of time and see if we can get standby on an earlier flight. It has worked a lot for us. If you don't get on, then you just take your later flight.

But if you call on(they are all a little different) and go "stand by" on an earlier flight, it won't cost you anything thing..Who are you flying? We do it all the time. Book the cheapest out on a day, then we keep watching the flight we want and then we call about 12 hours ahead of time and see if we can get standby on an earlier flight. It has worked a lot for us. If you don't get on, then you just take your later flight.

I agree,the last time i cruised i booked a 4:00pm return flight but made it to the airport by 10:00 and able to fly standbye on the 12:00 flight no problem,so maybe the op can do that, depending on the airline,i was on airtran,anywho good luck.;)

In answer to everyone's questions... I do have a direct flight to Miami which arrives at 12:30 PM. I was told that if flight arrives on time, I should make it to the port by around 2 and there will still be plenty of people there checking in at that time (Destiny leaves at 4). I'm debating on no checked luggage (bring what I can in carryon and do laundry on ship) so I can just get off plane and get in a taxi so no waiting for any bus to fill up, etc.

In the event flight was delayed, causing us to miss the ship, then next port is Grand Turk two days later, so not sure if flights even go there.

Hopefully we should be ok, but you never know what could happen. I'll just wait and see (but try to to stress over it).

Your in the same boat I am but our flight is non stop and were suppose to land in FLL at 12pm. As long as your flight get there before 2pm your fine. We are getting picked up from FLL and dropped off at the port of Miami by carnival this way if we are a little late they will wait (but you have to be on there shuttle already) But as long as your there by 2pm everything thing should be fine....GL

I've never missed a cruise, but I've missed lots of airline flights and connections. It isn't just weather in your area you have to worry about. Weather delays in another part of the country can delay your airplane from arriving for you to board. 3-4 hours late when you're just going to a hotel is annoying, but workable. When you need to catch a ship, it has potential to be really problematic.

Or....mechanical issues of your plane - or the one trying to get to you! :cool:

That is definately a tight schedule - with little or no room for error. As others had said - catching the next ship is not going to be an option.

So - for piece of mind I would change my flights and find a way to deal with the per ticket change fee or develop a plan B that you are comfortable with.

Another thought...does the travel insurance you have cover getting to the ship in the first port??

We were on the Liberty out of Miami last month when there were lots of storms and tornadoes in the west and south. Many people missed connections because of this. We departed Miami on Saturday around 5pm and when we got to St. Thomas at 9am on TUESDAY there were people who missed connections and flights to Miami getting ON the ship for the first time that morning in St. Thomas-they missed Sat.-Tues. am. They missed HMC. I felt very bad for them.:(

Famous words of yet another passenger who "missed the boat".

TA should have known that there was a possiblility of geting a lower price on a better timed flight. Should have also advised you to fly in the day before.

That being said, $150 x 4 is sizeable. Cover yourself with "just in case", so you'll be prepared and not in panic mode.

I've only cruised once so far, but I knew better. It just wasn't possible to fly in the day before so we caught an early flt. We got in at 12:30 for an 8:30 sailaway. Plenty of time to spare.

If I were you, right now I'd be exploring the "stand-by" option.

Here's the best piece of CC advise I ever got.

You're on vacation. There are some things you can control, but others you can't. When you encounter those "things", just smile and roll with flow. No matter what happens it will be an adventure to remember and talk about. Take lots of pictures.

Oh, and good luck.:D

Yo!Ho!Yo!Ho! APLFM!

Arrghh!