Has anyone ever missed the ship on embarkation day?

abisha

First of all to the lady who missed the cruise because she left her documentation at home, that is the reason I check for our passports daily for 2 weeks before the cruise (and hourly, the day before!) since I'd absolutely freak out if I couldn't get onboard due to missing docs.

Secondly, I only drive to cruise ports now (I lived in Tampa so Tampa and Pt Canaveral were my go to ports) and now I live in Texas, so I drive to Galveston. Even driving to port, I tend to freak out about traffic, accidents, car breakdowns etc. Going on a cruise in Sept, and we're driving down the day before and spending a relaxing night on the beach in Galveston, to then have a leisurely breakfast and head to the port in time for our scheduled check-in... if it's in my control, I can deal with anything. But when others are in control (airlines, cruiselines, GOD (yes I even fret about the weather!) then I work myself into a lather about the what-ifs. Easier if I take as many of the what-ifs out of play.

I could never fly in the same day as my cruise I would be a nervous wreck. I am in California so most cruises I take require a flight. Unless I cruise out of LA. So going next week from San Diego to Baltimore no way am I doing that the same day as my cruise. I am coming in on Friday and spending time with my family I have in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the way to an eight day cruise out of miami afriend lost her passport in the airport. At cruise terminal would not let her board. She was able to get an expedited replacement or maybe a birth certicate and copy was overnite to her. She had to fly to one of the ports. On board she had a personal muster drill. I watch my dw with the passports like a hawk.:cool:

That sounds like a very good idea. I didn't know I could do that. We are flying American. So..can you please explain what we do specifically? You said we call 12 hours prior to see if we can get on standby of a particular flight we're interested in. Then I assume we get to the airport in the appropriate amount of time for that flight. What happens next at the check in counter and where would we be instructed to go...do we wait at that gate and see what happens and find out last minute? Where is the boarding pass issued..right at the gate? But then if we don't get on that flight..where do we go to get the boarding pass of our original flight..do we need to go all the way back to the check in counter? I'm just trying to find out how it all pans out ..step by step. Thanks

Go to the AA site and see what they say...a lot of airlines charge these days for standby...here is a brief explanation from the AA site, but there is more detailed info if you want to go and read it...

c.gif

You can get a confirmed seat for same-day flight changes for domestic travel† on all fares for a $50 charge*. Passengers can call Reservations or handle the transaction at the airport ticket counter or Self-Service Check-In machines. The alternate flights must be for your same itinerary and your flight change can only be confirmed within 12 hours of departure of the desired flight. This option is subject to availability of eligible seats. Also, American continues to offer the same-day option of standing by for an earlier or later domestic flight for select customers at no charge. †Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection®.

Won't you need to have just carry on luggage since your luggage would on your later flight or do you stay by the checkin counter until you get a stand by seat?

Exemptions can be made, I highly doubt it would be an issue.

It could be a huge issue since the ship gets and then gives you a big fine. Also since the passenger manifest changed, it creates additional delays on return.

In answer to everyone's questions... I do have a direct flight to Miami which arrives at 12:30 PM. I was told that if flight arrives on time, I should make it to the port by around 2 and there will still be plenty of people there checking in at that time (Destiny leaves at 4). I'm debating on no checked luggage (bring what I can in carryon and do laundry on ship) so I can just get off plane and get in a taxi so no waiting for any bus to fill up, etc.

In the event flight was delayed, causing us to miss the ship, then next port is Grand Turk two days later, so not sure if flights even go there.

Hopefully we should be ok, but you never know what could happen. I'll just wait and see (but try to to stress over it).

There will be very few people left to check in.

It could be a huge issue since the ship gets and then gives you a big fine. Also since the passenger manifest changed, it creates additional delays on return.

If an exemption was applied for and granted then there would be no fines. The purpose of the law is to deal with cruise lines and their itineraries and not single passengers that miss a ship and have to catch up. I'm certainly no expert but I would be shocked if the government would issue fines for one family catching up at a future port because they missed the ship. Not sure how anything would be effected on the return, people miss ships at ports and I doubt that effects the final destination operations.

Did a little research and came across this, learn something new everyday!

Cruises cannot be booked on a one way basis.

Any guest wishing to join the ship because of a legitimate travel delay (i.e., mechanical or weather related delay) may do so subject to any Jones Act or port restrictions.

Cruise-Only guests, or those with independent air travel will be responsible for any and all travel expenses incurred, including the $300 per person Jones Act fee. Guests will be charged the fee upon boarding the ship and can pay with a credit card, cash or on their Sail & Sign card. Carnival will assume responsibility for these expenses if guests are booked under our Fly2Fun program.

Carnival cannot guarantee that guests will be able to embark or debark in a port due to possible unforeseen weather conditions.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/541/~/selling-one-way-cruises

If an exemption was applied for and granted then there would be no fines. The purpose of the law is to deal with cruise lines and their itineraries and not single passengers that miss a ship and have to catch up. I'm certainly no expert but I would be shocked if the government would issue fines for one family catching up at a future port because they missed the ship. Not sure how anything would be effected on the return, people miss ships at ports and I doubt that effects the final destination operations.

The ship does not get to make an exception. They get fined by the Feds and pass the fine onto the passengers should the permit the passenger to catch up at the wrong port. It always messes up the paperwork and causes delays when the embark manifest does not match the debark manifest. Yes, they fine for one person, one family whatever the reason if the law is violated.

Did a little research and came across this, learn something new everyday!

Cruises cannot be booked on a one way basis.

Any guest wishing to join the ship because of a legitimate travel delay (i.e., mechanical or weather related delay) may do so subject to any Jones Act or port restrictions.

Cruise-Only guests, or those with independent air travel will be responsible for any and all travel expenses incurred, including the $300 per person Jones Act fee. Guests will be charged the fee upon boarding the ship and can pay with a credit card, cash or on their Sail & Sign card. Carnival will assume responsibility for these expenses if guests are booked under our Fly2Fun program.

Carnival cannot guarantee that guests will be able to embark or debark in a port due to possible unforeseen weather conditions.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/541/~/selling-one-way-cruises

No exceptions. The only question is Carnival going to pay the fine or the passengers.

I already did...for a change fee of $150 per ticket:eek: (there's four of us)..so that's definitely a no go.:(

Depending on the airline, its usually $150 plus OR MINUS the difference in fare. If the fares have come down like you said in your post, it might not be that bad a deal.

Traveling with 4 people any expense to catch the ship will be multiplied times 4 and you could easily end up out way more than $600.

If you are absolutely positively stuck with this, I'd get to the airport very early and find the right agent at check in, but if you are trying to do a same day flight change, do not check your bags as they will end up tagged for your initial flight(s).

You also might consider Carnival's transfer service in this case, at least they will be keeping track of you then and you have help if things get close on the back side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No exceptions. The only question is Carnival going to pay the fine or the passengers.

Not always true, but in this case probably. The cruiseline can apply for an exemption but it usually involves a mechanical or weather issue and would be for the entire ship and just not one family.

My sister almost missed the ship for one of our annual family cruises. She and her husband and their 4 kids were driving from Cleveland to Port Canaveral for a cruise leaving Saturday. They had planned to leave Ohio Thursday morning and arrive in Caper Canaveral Friday evening. The ended up leaving Friday, late morning. They drove straight through and got a hotel 2 hours from Port Canaveral around 3AM Saturday morning. They were exhausted and got a late start Saturday and made it to the Port at around 2:30PM. When they arrive, my sister realizes that she packed the kid's birth certificates, but forgot her and her husband's Passports.

The Carnival rep at the port asks if anyone can email their birth certificates to her. Our other sister was battling an illness and was unable to cruise with us that year. She was on medical leave from work so she was home and had just been cleared to drive short distances the day before. She was able to go to this sister's house, about a 10 minute drive for her, and take a picture of the birth certificates and email the Carnival rep the pictures. The Carnival rep printed the pictures out and the photos served as their copy of their birth certificate. My sister and her family boarded the ship at 4:05 PM. They help up closing it up for her. She missed muster drill though.