Has anyone ever missed the ship on embarkation day?

abisha

I have never missed boarding, but did this same itinerary in December '10. There were a few couples that missed the ship in Miami, and they got together and rented one of the 'shuttle' buses or extended vans, and had a driver take them to the Keys to board the ship the next day. I think there were 6 of them all together, and they said it worked out cheaper than renting a car. They had been delayed in Atlanta due to their connecting flight's plane having mechanical difficulties...you just never know !

I'm surprised they were able to do that as it's a violation of the PVSA .

Bill

Any stories and experiences out there?

I never missed the boat. One time, because of work schedules, we had to fly in the same day of the cruise, which still meant leaving the day before.

It was JFK - Heathrow - Barcelona. Leaving JFK at 2PM, arriving in Barcelona 11AM local time, with the ship leaving at 4PM.

I went on Kayak and made up a list of every possible flight from Heathrow (and Dover) into Barcelona that might have worked for us if we had a problem getting out of JFK. I had something like 40 or 50 possible direct & connecting flights calculated from London to Barcelona between 7AM and 3PM. (I was on British Airways and didn't want them to say "we can't help you" if there was a possible flight on a comptetitor, so I had them all listed out.)

Not the ideal situation, and I worried about it quite a bit, but we didn't have to use our contingency plans.

I don't know how stand-by works if you plan to do stand by, but I know how it works (for Delta) if you aren't a frequent flier and don't know to check the boards when you get off your connecting flight to see if you gate has changed. :rolleyes:

Once I figured out what had happened I went to the gate and told the lady and she said she could get me into West Palm Beach..........Umm, I needed to be in Miami........and I had already arranged transport there (my friend was meeting me there too). She said the next flight to Miami was full..........but I could get on stand by. Here I am a nervous wreck (again not a frequent flier) and thanking GOD we came in a day early. A nice passenger was also waiting for stand by and I asked her about how it works. She said, that if they have enough room, they will put you on the flight, just to wait for them to call my name or look for it on the screen. So many people were boarding and I hadn't heard my name yet or saw it on the screen, but I almost jumped for joy when the guy announced my name. The lady got a seat too. In fact, the guy purposely gave me a row with an extra seat in it (you can see my hips from a mile away). I still go in before my friend's flight. It was certainly scary (probably not to people who fly often), but a good lesson in why you fly a day early. If it isn't the plane, it could be your own issues.

I hope you get this sorted.

That sounds like a very good idea. I didn't know I could do that. We are flying American. So..can you please explain what we do specifically? You said we call 12 hours prior to see if we can get on standby of a particular flight we're interested in. Then I assume we get to the airport in the appropriate amount of time for that flight. What happens next at the check in counter and where would we be instructed to go...do we wait at that gate and see what happens and find out last minute? Where is the boarding pass issued..right at the gate? But then if we don't get on that flight..where do we go to get the boarding pass of our original flight..do we need to go all the way back to the check in counter? I'm just trying to find out how it all pans out ..step by step. Thanks

American will no longer allow you to stand by for an earlier flight for free unless you are an Executive Platinum.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I was set to sail on the Carnival Miracle yesterday. Got to the NY port to realize I left my passport and birth certificate back home in Ct.Sadly, due to weather and traffic I was unable to make it back in time.Spent some time crying to the family on the ship.

I will now be flying to San Juan to meet the family and the ship on Sunday. Its an added expense but at least I won't miss the entire cruise...

Oh No! :(

I purchased my transfers from Carnival, our flight arrived at 1215 by the tine we got luggage was 1245 Carnival put us on the bus at 1 and we were on our way. They knew that they had 2 bus loads heading to the port so it was not a problem. Next cruise I am arriving 10 hours before departure just to make sure.

We missed our cruise ship's departure once. Alaska Airlines had mechanical problems on the ground in Spokane, WA, AFTER arriving late, so an hour later they flew us on another plane to Seattle from Spokane, then onto San Diego. We were on the port side of the plane and I could see the empty Carnival berth from the air. Alaska gave us $6.00 food coupons each...lol. We paid for our own hotel in San Diego and I spend the evening on the phone with Alaska trying to arrange a flight onwards to Acapulco.

The next morning Alaska Air got us a flight to LAX, and then onto Acapulco via Mexico City. We met someone onboard the Air Mexico plane who owned a hotel in Acapulco and he not only rented us a room while we were still flying, they took us with them in their hotel supplied van from the airport 20 miles from Acapulco, right to their hotel.

It turned out to be a wonderful 2 days we spent in Acapulco and we met and boarded the ship when it arrived.

I have nothing but kudos for Alaska Air stepping up to the plate and paying for the onward flight via another airline, when according to the rules at the time all they had to do was get us to our destination even if it was later than their schedule dictated. Dunno if that has changed now.

We live in NC and sometimes cruise out of Charleston and Norfolk, both of which are 4-5 hours driving time. For those cruises we leave same day and plan to arrive around noon. We've done this several times and it has worked well for us so far. I have no interest in staying in Charleston or Norfolk any longer than I have to.

When embarking in Florida, we usually book an early morning flight out of Charlotte, NC on USArways on the day of the cruise because they have many flights usually leaving just an hour or two apart. My backup would be to try and get on another flight ASAP if something happened to our booked flight. If it's in the winter I will often leave a day early because of the potential for ice storms. When embarking from the west coast, we always leave a day early. I don't like leaving a day early because it's such a logistical hassle. It's bad enough to fly, retrieve the luggage, get transportation to the ship, and go through the boarding process without having to extend that miserable process by going to a hotel in between.

• 6 years later...

Due to a freak weather situation in Chicago, we missed our cruise's departure, even though we planned to arrive the night before. Holland America has a number you can call which puts you in contact with some wonderful people who will tell you your options and help you in every way they can. We ended up flying to the first port-of-call in Jamaica and boarding there. For us, it ended up being a blessing in disguise. We got to spend two days at the Half Moon Resort, swimming and playing with the dolphins while those on the cruise went through rain. Yes, it was expensive, but in hind sight, we couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. I do use TravelGuard now, which covers everything you can imagine for a pretty reasonable price.

I was wondering if anyone has ever missed their ship on embarkation day due to delayed/cancelled flight or some other weird reason. If so what did you do? DH and I had thought about it and said we better have a plan B just in case. We do have travel insurance but the thought of not getting on the ship after months of anticipation would be terrible. When we booked airfare in March the prices were outrageous and we opted for a flight arriving in Miami at 12:15 as it was the lowest price. TA said that would be fine. Of course, over the past few days, I'm seeing a lot lower prices into Miami and more choices of earlier flights (doesn't it figure). Anyways, is it possible to try to get on another ship leaving the next day? I don't think that would even work as the Destiny leaves on a Monday and I have no idea if any ships on any line out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale leave on a Tuesday ??? He said a plan B could be to rent a car and go the the keys.

Any stories and experiences out there?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but if you were to miss your cruise in Miami, you can't join at Key West due to the Jones Act

I will never fly the day my cruise departs - I always arrive a day ahead to ensure this doesn't happen. I've been on many delayed flights and it's just not worth the risk.

As others have said, if you miss embarkation, you'll have to fly to the next port.

Oh yes. An unnamed airline cancelled our first flight of the day, rebooked us through another airline, which failed to get us to JFK in time to catch our flight to Barcelona. The two airlines pointed accusing fingers at each other and neither seemed to want to help us rebook or provide us with a place to sleep for the night. After a heated discussion we were rebooked by the original airline for the airport nearest the next port of call (Nice, France for Monte Carlo). Getting our checked bags back from the airline to have them retagged to Nice took from 7 am until 5 pm the next day. We board our flight just before the doors close and away we went and after a brief layover at Heathrow we arrive in Nice. A cab ride from Nice to the cruiseship terminal cost 100 EUROs. We showed up at the gangway with our luggage as the cruisers were returning from their shore excursions. Carnival Security did not know what to do with us and a few telephone calls and hushed conversations later, we were greeted with cool drinks and a private checkin.

MORAL of the STORY - If the trip is important enough, go at least one day early. The logistics of trying to catch a cruiseship are tough, expensive and frustrating. I thought my travelling companion was going to crawl across the airline ticket counter and beat some sense into someone who clearly believed "Customer service is not in my job description."

We recovered from the rough start to our vacation and had a great time.

I had booked a cruise on the conquest last year. We nearly missed it, and it would have totally been my fault!

We drove to port everglades from bham, al the night before sailing, about a 12 hr drive, I think. I built in the necessary extra time for stops, meals, etc, as I had specific breakfast plans to show my mom a particular mcdonalds in orlando. Little did I know......there are 1000's of mcdonald's on international drive!!! OMG!!! I cant tell you how much time we wasted traipsing around and ended up driving from disney to universal looking for this place!!! Needless to say, i gave up on it, stopped at the 1st mcd's that we saw.....SECOND BIGGEST MISTAKE. This place was so incredibly crowded, that the line snaked around itself! We were starving and opted to take our chances rather than leave and look for food elsewhere. We took it to go, and I drove like an absolute madwoman for the time it took us to get to port. OF COURSE we hit traffic as well, and my stomach was in absolute knots.

I had planned to park offsite, but no longer had the time option of looking for the place and hopping a shuttle, so we drove str8 to port and parked there. Sticker shock @$128 for parking! We ended up being literally the last people to embark....Jesus be a fence!

Special note: it was a good thing we had parked at the port, though. You know its kind of dark in the garage, and i did not realize that I had left my wallet with ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the trip money (in cash) laying on the floor of the passenger seat. We were all the way at check in when I needed my license, and discovered that I didnt have it. I was able to run across the tarmac to the garage, and get it. WHEW!!

Needless to say, when I booked our cruise on the Magic this year, we arrived the day before!!!! Dont need that kinda stress in my life.

Been there. Done that. Flew in the same day as cruise departure. Flight circled for a long time and landed delayed. No luggage to be found. After trying to find luggage in spanish, we gave up and headed to the ship. We were THOSE people running to board and with no luggage.

They fly luggage to the next port if found.

Since then, we ALWAYS fly a day prior. We pack a swimsuit, one day and one night outfit in our carryon;)

First of all to the lady who missed the cruise because she left her documentation at home, that is the reason I check for our passports daily for 2 weeks before the cruise (and hourly, the day before!) since I'd absolutely freak out if I couldn't get onboard due to missing docs.

Secondly, I only drive to cruise ports now (I lived in Tampa so Tampa and Pt Canaveral were my go to ports) and now I live in Texas, so I drive to Galveston. Even driving to port, I tend to freak out about traffic, accidents, car breakdowns etc. Going on a cruise in Sept, and we're driving down the day before and spending a relaxing night on the beach in Galveston, to then have a leisurely breakfast and head to the port in time for our scheduled check-in... if it's in my control, I can deal with anything. But when others are in control (airlines, cruiselines, GOD (yes I even fret about the weather!) then I work myself into a lather about the what-ifs. Easier if I take as many of the what-ifs out of play.