Has anyone ever missed the ship on embarkation day?

abisha

One flight we took, all the kiosks went down and check in took forever. The plane left over an hour late. One flight we had to wait for another aircraft bc of mechanical issues, 2 be delay. So lots of unforeseen problems. Try and get standby.

I was wondering if anyone has ever missed their ship on embarkation day due to delayed/cancelled flight or some other weird reason. If so what did you do? DH and I had thought about it and said we better have a plan B just in case. We do have travel insurance but the thought of not getting on the ship after months of anticipation would be terrible. When we booked airfare in March the prices were outrageous and we opted for a flight arriving in Miami at 12:15 as it was the lowest price. TA said that would be fine. Of course, over the past few days, I'm seeing a lot lower prices into Miami and more choices of earlier flights (doesn't it figure). Anyways, is it possible to try to get on another ship leaving the next day? I don't think that would even work as the Destiny leaves on a Monday and I have no idea if any ships on any line out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale leave on a Tuesday ??? He said a plan B could be to rent a car and go the the keys.

Any stories and experiences out there?

Well, we just went on our first cruise in April, and we came VERY close to missing the ship:rolleyes:

We used a travel agent, and we thought having Carnival book our flights for us, would be a good idea.......NOT!!! A week before our vacation, we got our flight info, and we were arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 2:00 pm (on Sunday.) The cruise was leaving from Miami, which meant we would also have a 20-25 minute transfer. Everybody kept telling us.....don't worry as Carnival booked these flights, so they will wait :confused: The cruise was scheduled to leave Miami @ 4:00pm.

Well, wouldn't you know it, Mother Natrue was going to be nasty that Sunday, and have a big storm in our area! Our flight was delayed by 25 minutes and our transfer was late, PLUS, the Miami Heat were playing so the traffic on the highway into Miami was stopped (yes, our stomachs were rolling....ackkkk!!) Anyways, we were the last 4 passengers on the ship, and the ship left 55 minutes late!

Not fun, and never again.....we will be booked on a flight a day ahead!

Oh, the best part....our in-laws NEVER made it! They got fogged in at the Detroit airport, and couldn't get a flight until 6:00pm on that Sunday! Yuck!! They had the option to wait and meet us in St. Thomas (on day 3 of our cruise) or wait and cruise at another time....which they will do because they had travel insurance!

So, yes, do have a plan B because you just never know what can happen!!!! :)

Edited by lovethesun40

I was wondering if anyone has ever missed their ship on embarkation day due to delayed/cancelled flight or some other weird reason. If so what did you do? DH and I had thought about it and said we better have a plan B just in case. We do have travel insurance but the thought of not getting on the ship after months of anticipation would be terrible. When we booked airfare in March the prices were outrageous and we opted for a flight arriving in Miami at 12:15 as it was the lowest price. TA said that would be fine. Of course, over the past few days, I'm seeing a lot lower prices into Miami and more choices of earlier flights (doesn't it figure). Anyways, is it possible to try to get on another ship leaving the next day? I don't think that would even work as the Destiny leaves on a Monday and I have no idea if any ships on any line out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale leave on a Tuesday ??? He said a plan B could be to rent a car and go the the keys.

Yes I have miss the ship. Believe me its NOT A GOOD FEELING. It was in October 2005.

This is why I choose to use the airfare offered by the cruiseline. They will not schedule for a flight they do not think you can make. If you miss the boat then it's covered and they fly you to the next port at their cost and not yours.

1) Many people on cruise air have missed the ship because of the poor flight selection by the cruise line.

2) Read your contract, the cruise line is NOT responsible for getting you to the ship.

Edited by Cuizer2

But if you call on(they are all a little different) and go "stand by" on an earlier flight, it won't cost you anything thing..Who are you flying? We do it all the time. Book the cheapest out on a day, then we keep watching the flight we want and then we call about 12 hours ahead of time and see if we can get standby on an earlier flight. It has worked a lot for us. If you don't get on, then you just take your later flight.

That sounds like a very good idea. I didn't know I could do that. We are flying American. So..can you please explain what we do specifically? You said we call 12 hours prior to see if we can get on standby of a particular flight we're interested in. Then I assume we get to the airport in the appropriate amount of time for that flight. What happens next at the check in counter and where would we be instructed to go...do we wait at that gate and see what happens and find out last minute? Where is the boarding pass issued..right at the gate? But then if we don't get on that flight..where do we go to get the boarding pass of our original flight..do we need to go all the way back to the check in counter? I'm just trying to find out how it all pans out ..step by step. Thanks

That sounds like a very good idea. I didn't know I could do that. We are flying American. So..can you please explain what we do specifically? You said we call 12 hours prior to see if we can get on standby of a particular flight we're interested in. Then I assume we get to the airport in the appropriate amount of time for that flight. What happens next at the check in counter and where would we be instructed to go...do we wait at that gate and see what happens and find out last minute? Where is the boarding pass issued..right at the gate? But then if we don't get on that flight..where do we go to get the boarding pass of our original flight..do we need to go all the way back to the check in counter? I'm just trying to find out how it all pans out ..step by step. Thanks

Go to the AA site and see what they say...a lot of airlines charge these days for standby...here is a brief explanation from the AA site, but there is more detailed info if you want to go and read it...

c.gif

You can get a confirmed seat for same-day flight changes for domestic travel† on all fares for a $50 charge*. Passengers can call Reservations or handle the transaction at the airport ticket counter or Self-Service Check-In machines. The alternate flights must be for your same itinerary and your flight change can only be confirmed within 12 hours of departure of the desired flight. This option is subject to availability of eligible seats. Also, American continues to offer the same-day option of standing by for an earlier or later domestic flight for select customers at no charge. †Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection®.

We have not missed, but on our cruise from San Juan, we went the day before and took the last flight of the day (not sure that is the greatest option either:rolleyes:) and there were mechanical issues...we were supposed to connect in Philadelphia then fly down to San Juan...we ended up getting to Philly, spending the night, then on the first flight the next day to San Juan. It ended up working out, but even going the day before and that happening, I was sweating it a bit. That being said, if you are on the first flight out in the morning and it's non-stop, I think you have a better chance of making it OK...I actually resorted to begging the gate agent, because there was a problem with how our reservation got switched while we were trying to get to Philly, and I told him we were going on a cruise and we HAD to get to Philly...they ended up telling us to just get on the plane...no boarding passes or anything! We got on and didn't ask questions. Next cruise...we're driving to the port:D

We learned long ago when we were in San Juan and found out that our son's friend accidentally brought his mothers birth certificate instead of his that it is best to arrive in your departure port at least one day in advance (they still let us on the ship though). That proved true once again this past February when Texas had the worst snow/ice storm in a while. It spread from DFW all the way to Houston and beyond. We needed to get to Orlando, and flight after flight was being cancelled. FInally they got us on a flight to Houston with a connection to Orlando. However, our bags were on a flight to San ANtonio, and the connecting flight in San Antonio left before the original flight landed. We did not know if we were going to have luggage for our cruise. However, we had many contingency plans including grabbing a flight from Orlando to Cancun to meet the Dream in Cozumel. We made it though...good times!! ALWAYS have a plan B ready to execute.

On our recent cruise to Hawaii, we met a woman who missed the ship when she tried to fly in to California from the east coast on the day of the cruise. Her plane developed mechanical problems and the flight was canceled.

She ended up needing to book an expensive flight from California to Hilo (the first port) to catch up with the ship there and missed the entire first 5 days of the cruise!

To make matters worse, in addition to paying for hotel rooms and meals for the 5 days, she was upset when they informed her that she would have to pay a fine for boarding in Hilo because it was a violation of the PVSA.

We never found out whether or not they actually made her pay the fine or if her insurance would reimburse her for any of the additional expenses.

we were on the freedom 2 years ago and about 15 people missed the ship due to a bad snow storm on the east coast. They all made the ship in puerto rico...it was strange seeing them board there with their suitcases. Someone even had on their door " thank god for trip insurance".

as for us, we always come in the day before.

On our recent cruise to Hawaii, we met a woman who missed the ship when she tried to fly in to California from the east coast on the day of the cruise. Her plane developed mechanical problems and the flight was canceled.

She ended up needing to book an expensive flight from California to Hilo (the first port) to catch up with the ship there and missed the entire first 5 days of the cruise!

To make matters worse, in addition to paying for hotel rooms and meals for the 5 days, she was upset when they informed her that she would have to pay a fine for boarding in Hilo because it was a violation of the PVSA.

We never found out whether or not they actually made her pay the fine or if her insurance would reimburse her for any of the additional expenses.

Generally insurance will not cover government fines, but it depends on the insurance.

To the OP, if you miss your sailing and try to board the ship in the Keys, the PVSA will apply to you. The fine is $300 per person if you are allowed to board at all. Some cruiselines don't let people board at all when it would be a violation of the PVSA.

In answer to everyone's questions... I do have a direct flight to Miami which arrives at 12:30 PM. I was told that if flight arrives on time, I should make it to the port by around 2 and there will still be plenty of people there checking in at that time (Destiny leaves at 4). I'm debating on no checked luggage (bring what I can in carryon and do laundry on ship) so I can just get off plane and get in a taxi so no waiting for any bus to fill up, etc.

In the event flight was delayed, causing us to miss the ship, then next port is Grand Turk two days later, so not sure if flights even go there.

Hopefully we should be ok, but you never know what could happen. I'll just wait and see (but try to to stress over it).

we missed our ship because of plane problems. we were to catch the ship in San Jaun. we left out of omaha to chicago. flight delay was in omaha so when we arrived in chicago we missed the flight to san jaun and there were no more flights so they put us up for the nite then they flew us to st thomas to catch the ship. we had insurance because it was plane problems everything was covered. only when we arrived at st thomas no luggage. it took 5 days for it to catch up to the ship. NOW WE ALWAYS GO ATLEAST A DAY EARLY!!! It is way less stress!!! Live and Learn!!

I would call American to find out the specifics on options for an earlier flight. On a recent flight to Hawaii (also American), we were told to just show up at the airport at 6:00am, go to the desk, and were placed on the standby list for the earlier flight. Then we went to that gate, and waited to see if we could get on (several classes of "standbys" went in front of us) yet we still got on the first flight to Dallas.

Then we went to the 2nd gate, and checked in for the stand by list for the final flight. You just wait until the very end of boarding before you know if you are on! Good luck! (There were no charges)!

wife and i booked our honeymoon cruise on fri march 16 2007. we had also booked the 8 am flight that friday morning. as the cruise got closer and closer i had been closely monitoring the weather. and of course a freak march ice storm was going to hit nyc that morning. the forecast called for the storm to hit about rush hour and we probably would have been stuck. after calling the airline there was a 6 am flight that we were fortunately able to switch to. that friday morning we got to la guardia airport about 330 am to make sure we checked in and on that flight. there were hundreds of people from the later flights that had the same idea and came to the terminal early to see if they could get on that flight. it was a desperate madhouse. if we had not switched flights the day before we would have been stuck. as we sat on the tarmac the de-icing trucks came and hosed down the plane. and the weatherman had called it perfect as the snow/ice was coming down pretty hard. i thought they were going to call us back to the gate. what an awesome feeling when we took off. as far as we know that was the last flight to leave nyc. airport was shut down and nyc was a mess. http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/16/news/companies/jetblue/index.htm

lesson learned. we always enjoy florida for a day as we travel down the day before.

When we sailed on Destiny last October we flew into Fort Lauderdale and arrived at just close to noon. One of our suitcases ended up being not making the flight so we were there another 30 minutes in the offices at the airport trying to locate the suitcase. We left Fort Lauderdale around 1:00 and made it to the Port of Miami by 1:45. It was kinda nice as just about everyone had already boarded and we were on board by 2:15. Oh, and by the way, the missing suitcase ended up to our door BEFORE the luggage that made it. Lol. Go figure.

My point is arriving in Miami at 12:15 may be closer then some would like but its a relatively short trip to the port via taxi or shuttle. I think you will be fine barring any airline issues. This is closer then some would like but sometimes flying in the day of your cruise is unavoidable.

Have a great trip.

Edited by debster11

Just got off the Dream yesterday, and we had tablemates at breakfast in the MDR from Tennessee one morning who missed the ship leaving Port Canaveral. They had to buy one way tickets to Nassau and got on the ship there. :eek: :eek:

Always fly in the day before. You never know what might happen. Not only did it cost them more, they missed a whole day of their cruise!

This is why I choose to use the airfare offered by the cruiseline. They will not schedule for a flight they do not think you can make. If you miss the boat then it's covered and they fly you to the next port at their cost and not yours.

um, no they don't. :rolleyes:

I am experienced in missing departures. The first cruise I had booked a/f with Carnival and they and Delta covered all the costs due to mechanical failure of aircraft. A/F to to Atlanta and the next day to San Juan, and hotels for 2 nights. Carnival said we could not change to the cruise leaving the next day. My insurance covered meals. Eight years and eight cruises later Delta diverted my San Diego Flight to LAX and the ship would not let us board as we were not there early enough even though we called and they were aware of the unfortunate situation. Insurance covered 2 nights hotel and airfare to Cabo San Lucas. Both times it was winter in my state but that was not an issue. I never go without travel insurance and last year I left the day before!

I am experienced in missing departures. The first cruise I had booked a/f with Carnival and they and Delta covered all the costs due to mechanical failure of aircraft. A/F to to Atlanta and the next day to San Juan, and hotels for 2 nights. Carnival said we could not change to the cruise leaving the next day. My insurance covered meals. Eight years and eight cruises later Delta diverted my San Diego Flight to LAX and the ship would not let us board as we were not there early enough even though we called and they were aware of the unfortunate situation. Insurance covered 2 nights hotel and airfare to Cabo San Lucas. Both times it was winter in my state but that was not an issue. I never go without travel insurance and last year I left the day before!

what insurance did you use? carnival itself? we've used travelguard.com and this time the carnival insurance because we have no flight. leaving from our homeport nyc. but i've always heard horror stories of insurance trying to balk on paying out. it seems whoever you used did the right thing

• 1 month later...

I was set to sail on the Carnival Miracle yesterday. Got to the NY port to realize I left my passport and birth certificate back home in Ct.Sadly, due to weather and traffic I was unable to make it back in time.Spent some time crying to the family on the ship.

I will now be flying to San Juan to meet the family and the ship on Sunday. Its an added expense but at least I won't miss the entire cruise...

Nowdays, most airlines will charge a fee to change to an earlier flight on the same day. If you confirm your seat in advance, you will get hit with a change fee and possible additional collection in fare.

If you attempt to go earlier on the same day (standby), the charge is nominal to nill depending on the air carrier.

Also, if your aircraft has a mechanical issue, talk with the boarding agent (nicely of course...poop happens), and all airlines have what's called a co-terminal policy meaning if you cannot make your scheduled destination, they can fly you to any terminal in the same area on the airline your ticketed on, if there is space on that flight. In Mia, the only option I know of would be Fll which is approx 20miles apart. Any other airport, Lets say Fort Meyers or Palm Beach, is not considered a co-terminal.

We normally fly standby on the day of the cruise into the LAX region, but then we have several different alternate airports that we can use (Lax, Bur, Lgb, Orange Cty, Ontario).

Call AA reservations a day or two before your departure and ask about taking an earlier-flight-same-day. Ask them to check the loads on the earlier flights, they wont give you exact #'s due to competitive reasons, but ask if they would put their mom or dad on that flight as a standby. That always give a good indication!

Last but not least...kill em with kindness! If you rant and rave any ticket/gate/reservation agent will do their minimum to assist you and get you out of their face. I cannot stress this enough! 30+years of airline experience has taught me this.