Cruises where children under 2 free?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:54 PM.
PA USA
151 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I just found out my daughter is pregnant. Just wondering.. if anyone knows of a cruise line that has free rates for children under 2.
Thanks ~ Lisa
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NJ
6,453 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
None I know of. We have sailed Princess and Carnival and my nephew was the third passenger rate with his parents. And you will be charged daily tips for the little one as well in most cases. Yet, we have had some fun family cruises and I'm so happy he was with us!

Some lines have restrictions on minimum baby age though, so I'd check that out too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Lori
  • Up next: Anthem of the Seas
Past cruises:
NCL: Gem & Breakaway many times, Jewel 2x, Star, Dawn Carnival: Sunshine, Splendor, Glory 5x, Freedom, Miracle 2x, Legend, Dream, Liberty, Triumph, Fantasy, Imagination, Victory (1st cruise ever!!) Princess: Caribbean 2x, Crown, Emerald, Island Princess through Panama Canal! Royal Caribbean: Allure of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas 3x, Quantum of the Seas, Explorer 2x Celebrity: Equinox and Summit Disney: Magic
Brooksville FL
3,491 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Try Disney Cruise Line & NCL .
Last time I recall it was under 2 years , just port & tax as 3/4 guest in cabin.
Minimum age to cruise was about 12 weeks on DCL , NCL was 6 months.
Old info but may still be correct.
Call your TA or the cruise line for up to date info.
Hampton Roads, VA
330 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by littysmom
I just found out my daughter is pregnant. Just wondering.. if anyone knows of a cruise line that has free rates for children under 2.
Thanks ~ Lisa
MSC allows all children under 11 free.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruises:

Norwegian Pearl: Shiprocked 2016- 01/18-01/22/16
Norwegian Sky: Bahamas- 08/24-08/28/15
Norwegian Pearl: Shiprocked 2015-02/01/02/06/15
Carnival Elation: W. Caribbean- 03/03-03/08/14
MSC Poesia: Shiprocked 2012- 11/27-12/01/12
Carnival Sensation: Bahamas-12/18-12/22/11
Carnival Legend: W. Caribbean- 02/07-02/14/10- Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...333&highlight=

south burlington,vt.
3,928 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Congrats on the new bambino.....Disney runs specials that kids sail free. Last cruise we saw a whole brood of kids(7) with mom and dad all taking advantage of the special. The kids were the best behaved kids I have seen in a while.
Perpetual Flip-Flop State
6,040 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Costa offers many sailings free for children. When our son was 5 (last year) he sailed for free - also just paid taxes. Happy planning! It is a lot of fun cruising with little ones!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up Next:

Oasis of the Seas (June 2017) Review
Freedom of the Seas (March 2017)Review
CCL Magic (November 2016)Review&FunTimes
CCL Magic (November 2016)Review&FunTimes
NCL Escape (July2016) Review&Dailies
Allure of the Seas (May 2016) Photo Review/Tips
Navigator of the Seas (March 2016) Review&Compass
Freedom of the Seas (November 2015)Review
Oasis of the Seas (June 2015) Compass, Tips and Oasis Pictures
Freedom of the Seas (Dec 2014); CCL Liberty (June 2014); Independence of the Seas (March 2014); Freedom of the Seas (June 2013); CCL Freedom (March 2013); CCL Fascination (July 2012); CCL Liberty (June 2012); NCL Dawn (A Caribbean Christmas 2011); CCL Legend (June 2011); CCL Dream (March 2011); X Infinity (July 2010); Costa Atlantica (April 2010); NCL Dawn (April 2009); Majesty of the Seas (July 2006); Enchantment of the Seas (October 2005); CCL Fantasy (April 2004)
Washington
3,007 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by littysmom
Thanks ~ Lisa
I think that you will find that the lines that offer kids for "free" will still end up costing more than the lines where you pay for them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1994- Nordic Prince
1995- Viking Sereande
1997- NCL Sky
1999- Carnival Paradise
2003- Navigator of the Seas
2004- Summit
2004- Star Princess
2005- Mariner of the Seas
2007- Ryndam
2010- Oasis of the Seas
Klein, Texas
6,181 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by Chowder_17
MSC allows all children under 11 free.
It's 17 & under on MSC..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Klein, Texas
6,181 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by househunter
I think that you will find that the lines that offer kids for "free" will still end up costing more than the lines where you pay for them.
Not true. We sailed MSC 2 years ago and it was probably the best value we ever had as far as cruising. Everything else was cheaper than Carnival & RC. They had drink specials, Happy hour, drink packages, beer packages, ect...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pennsylvania
13,984 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by househunter
Can't agree with this at all. Several offer 3rd and 4th pax at reduced rates, sometimes there is a $99 rate and the adult are not paying more than it should cost if the adults are paying full fare.

Maybe that's the case on Disney which is so much more to begin with. Matj gave a good example.
IN
1,114 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The limits on age really depend on the cruiseline. Disney it is 12 weeks. Most of them it is 6 months for the Caribbean. Most require the child to be at least a year for trans-atlantic, South America or Hawaii. It appears that MSC does not have an age limit but I would check with that cruise line. Good luck finding a cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 cruises
'96- Carnival Celebration
-98 Carnival Fascination
-00 Carnival Jubilee- Panama Canal
'02 Regal Empress
'02 Grand Princess
'03 Norwegian Star -Hawaii
'03 Golden Princess
'04 Norwegian Sea
'05 Princess Star Princess
'06 Carnival Pride
'07 Holland Oosterdam -AK
'07 Carnival Valor
'08 Disney Wonder
'08 Carnival Liberty
'09 Carnival Valor
'10 Costa Pacifica- Med
'13 MSC Divina- Med
'13 Carnival Valor
'14 Ruby Princess- British Isles
'15 Carnival
'16 Royal Princess (Rome-Athens)
'16 Caribbean Princess (8 day Caribbean)
PA USA
151 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Thanks for all of the help. I am going to check these cruise lines out. I can't wait to introduce my first grand child, to the awesome world of cruising.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Pennsylvania
60 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks with a couple who has a 6 month old they are taking along (they are getting married in the Bahamas)...anyways, they have to pay for the 6 month old! I just can't believe it, the child isn't even going to eat any food. The most it will need is a stinkin towel to get washed off with, yet they are getting charged hundreds of dollars
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roberta

Explorer of the Seas -- Bermuda -- October 2009
Carnival Glory -- Canada/New England -- July 2010
Norwegian Gem -- Bahamas -- March 2011
Greenville, SC, USA
51,753 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by macksmom330
I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks with a couple who has a 6 month old they are taking along (they are getting married in the Bahamas)...anyways, they have to pay for the 6 month old! I just can't believe it, the child isn't even going to eat any food. The most it will need is a stinkin towel to get washed off with, yet they are getting charged hundreds of dollars
Most cruise ships sail full. The six month old counts as a passenger. The child will not be purchasing drinks, excursions, etc. This is where the cruise lines make their money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
Pepsicola FL
10,130 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
the child will also generate a great deal of EXTRA work for the cabin attendant.. removing soiled diapers, setting up and breaking down the crib. extra towels for when there are accidents and spit up.
New York, NY
21,021 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
NCL only charges port taxes and federal fees for a child under 2(as long as she/he is the 3rd or more in the room). That's it. All cruise lines even for a free cruise charge at least that much. No one actually travels totally for free.

from NCL's website

Do children cruise for free?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.
California
21,297 Posts
Joined May 2002

It is a surprise for many people who learn this. A child takes up a space on the roster, no matter their age or size. Food cost is irrelevant...if they did base the cost of the cruise on the food I've seen many people that should be charged 2-3 times the normal fare. Waste of food in the buffet is a disgrace and many people order 2 entrees at dinner.

Food cost for the cruise lines runs around $12 per person, per day, the real cost is operating the ship...fuel, payroll, maintenance. So it goes back to the fact that the child takes a space on the roster just as much as an adult.

That some lines choose to allow discounting for children in a business decision.

It's an old argument that has been on CC for years.
Pennsylvania
60 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Yea, I guess I was shocked more than anything learning that. But I can understand the charges. I don't expect children to cruise for free. Not looking for an argument or a debate! It doesn't really affect me because we don't bring our DD's along because they are too young.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roberta

Explorer of the Seas -- Bermuda -- October 2009
Carnival Glory -- Canada/New England -- July 2010
Norwegian Gem -- Bahamas -- March 2011