Vista just did a whoopsie

les37b

Just leaving Messina, the ship pushes off then slowly moves away. As it was turning (I was viewing from the aft) I looked on and thought no way is that going to clear the floating pier and boats there. I was right, Vista put on its thrusters and high pressure water went into the floating pier capsizing several boats and pushing the pier 20 yards from where it was!

Couldn't see a pilot boat anywhere.... So I expect there will be red faces! Don't think anyone was hurt..... But that certainly wasn't meant to happen!

Edited by les37b

I had set up a second GoPro that would have captured the whole thing but the mount to the gorilla pod didn't feel tight enough. I did capture the aftermath though on my phone though I'm absolutely certain those at the stern will have captured the whole thing. No way was there not several cameras there!

I was viewing from the whole length of the ship away but it didn't look like there were any people there. One of the guys on tours I've booked was directly above at the stern had a birds eye view and said it looked quite frightening.

I expect a few video clips will appear at some point.

looks like carnival may never go back to that port. and now the port will try to block any big ships from coming back (like what usually happens when something similar happens)

Cruisers are not missing much in Messina...its a bit of a a bleh tbh.

The lovely spots (Etna etc) can be reached by other ports.

looks like carnival may never go back to that port. and now the port will try to block any big ships from coming back (like what usually happens when something similar happens)

Where did you get the info they may not return from?

Word from passengers on board is that local pilot was in control. Fingers crossed that is the case and Vista can visit on final Med cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks like there will be, or is, an opening for a new pilot in Messina. Have to wonder if the old guy might have been related to that infamous Captain of Costa fame. Nah.:rolleyes:

Wish I had the training necessary, Ralph, would love to live in Sicily!! JaM x

Edited by Jamocall

Word from passengers on board is that local pilot was in control. Fingers crossed that is the case and Vista can visit on final Med cruises.

I don't know enough about how much responsibility the pilot and captain share in these manoeuvres. Just because a pilot is present, doesn't necessarily mean the captain followed instructions fully. (I'm not suggesting the captain is adversely involved, simply that we don't know. It's not something any passengers would know either.) I saw it live but no idea. I didn't see a pilot boat though it's been said one was seen. I think it's fair to say a pilot would always be present in these situations in port.

And you know the captain followed the instructions to the letter because?......

I agree if he did then the pilot takes the hit, but that's a big assumption to make without knowing the full details which I'll make an assumption you don't have?

The only place in the world that the pilot is in control of the ship is the Panama Canal. This was 100% the Captains fault and responsibility, pilots only act in advisory capacity.

Maybe we can hang him now since you have pronounced him guilty. Crappy place for a marina. Maybe, just maybe, there are other facts that might influence us before we carry out the sentence.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jimbo5544

Maybe we can hang him now since you have pronounced him guilty. Maybe, just maybe, there are other facts that might influence us before we carry out the sentence.

Sent from my iPhone

Aargh ! If he is proven to be at fault, wouldn't they make him walk a plank ?

Edited by lizardhowson