So many elites, I pretended to be blue

Sitmar Lady

Hi Fellow Floaters! I just disembarked today on the Sapphire Princess 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise to Mexico and had one of the BEST cruises EVER and I mean it was really fantastic! The food was great, the entertainment was over the top (I'm still giggling over Albert and Seymore) and the DJ Mateo made being out by the pool a wonderful experience once again. One issue. There were over 600 Elites on board and let me say that some were quite arrogant to say the least. So much so that I wanted to change my black card to a blue one because I didn't want to be associated with such a demanding group. It makes me think that starting a higher category for perhaps 500 plus days or more would be a good idea to calm them down a bit. Boy did I witness some scenes. On a lighter note, Loretto and LaPaz were great additions to the Mexican Itinerary! I hope Princess adds more of these 10 day'ers to the schedule!

Have to smile at your CC name "Sitmar Lady." I guess this means you have "been around" for a while :). We also were big Sitmar fans and happened to be on the last Sitmar cruise of the Fairsky, which had its named changed to the Fair Princess right after our cruise. We really enjoyed the Italian crew on that line and were happy to see Princess continue the Sitmar tradition of having great hand-made pizza.

Hank

Hi Fellow Floaters! I just disembarked today on the Sapphire Princess 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise to Mexico and had one of the BEST cruises EVER and I mean it was really fantastic! The food was great, the entertainment was over the top (I'm still giggling over Albert and Seymore) and the DJ Mateo made being out by the pool a wonderful experience once again. One issue. There were over 600 Elites on board and let me say that some were quite arrogant to say the least. So much so that I wanted to change my black card to a blue one because I didn't want to be associated with such a demanding group. It makes me think that starting a higher category for perhaps 500 plus days or more would be a good idea to calm them down a bit. Boy did I witness some scenes. On a lighter note, Loretto and LaPaz were great additions to the Mexican Itinerary! I hope Princess adds more of these 10 day'ers to the schedule!

And its only gonna get worse.

Had a ton on our cruise too.

Glad you had a great cruise, we got off when you got on. :D

There were over 1,600 Platinum/Elite on our cruise (Sapphire 3/1) and the cut-off for the most traveled lunch was over 500 days.

Interestingly, there were so many changes and the non-functioning TV systems that while a nice cruise, it was far from a great cruise. Food in the dining room was just OK and Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse poor and not worth the money. I'll post specifics in the next day or so.

And its only gonna get worse.

Had a ton on our cruise too.

Glad you had a great cruise, we got off when you got on. :D

I think a lot of the "Entitled" Elites are the new ones who got it the "easy" way.

I'll be the first one to admit that I got to elite "the easy way" with pacific coastal cruises and some help from a former princess employee and the "friends and family" program. And I'm also not of the typical demographic of the elite cruiser being probably close to half the age of most. However, I was reading someone about my generation the other day that I agree with 100%. When it comes to promised benefits, I/we don't really expect anything. I've cruised long ago enough to know what cruising used to be compared to what it is now. I expect to be bartered to on each cruise for a variety of goods and services I don't need or want. I expect to be around rude and disgusting people because cruising is now affordable to the masses. And germain to this topic, I expect to have loyalty "benefits" dilluted and eventually curtailed. The day that the airlines and cruise lines decided that ancilliary revenue was THE way to make money, and that getting pax into seats/cabins at any cost (usually low cost) was the best way to make the ancilliary revenue was the same day that the loyalty programs got flushed down the bilge, so to speak. This country is obsessed with the lowest price first, and value second. Look at Virgin America airlines, consistently rated the top domestic airline with mood lighting, food ordered on demand, and video screens with tv, movies, music, games in every seat, yet its constantly in the red and would be out of business if not for Richard Branson's pockets and slightly insane brain.

My point is, Princess and most other cruise lines (among several industries) don't give a rip about our "loyalty". Statistically, we spend far less than first time cruisers. Perhaps the only redeeming quality is that the average elite cruiser might bring family members along. As for me, my baby doesn't buy much when I go on a cruise, so I'm pretty worthless to the cruise lines.

I don't mean to rant, but I don't understand why people get so angry that there are others that have cruised as much as them and "cheated" to get there. And then how the benefits used to be better but not anymore. On the HAL boards today I read someone ranting about how they no longer got a free glass of champagne when they boarded. If you want all the niceties, pay 2x as much and go on a premium line or pony up when you come on board. My generation lives on credit, which I think is awful, but it is what it is, and its what the cruise line is latching on to.

My 2 cents, sorry if I angered folks.

I'll be the first one to admit that I got to elite "the easy way" with pacific coastal cruises and some help from a former princess employee and the "friends and family" program. And I'm also not of the typical demographic of the elite cruiser being probably close to half the age of most. However, I was reading someone about my generation the other day that I agree with 100%. When it comes to promised benefits, I/we don't really expect anything. I've cruised long ago enough to know what cruising used to be compared to what it is now. I expect to be bartered to on each cruise for a variety of goods and services I don't need or want. I expect to be around rude and disgusting people because cruising is now affordable to the masses. And germain to this topic, I expect to have loyalty "benefits" dilluted and eventually curtailed. The day that the airlines and cruise lines decided that ancilliary revenue was THE way to make money, and that getting pax into seats/cabins at any cost (usually low cost) was the best way to make the ancilliary revenue was the same day that the loyalty programs got flushed down the bilge, so to speak. This country is obsessed with the lowest price first, and value second. Look at Virgin America airlines, consistently rated the top domestic airline with mood lighting, food ordered on demand, and video screens with tv, movies, music, games in every seat, yet its constantly in the red and would be out of business if not for Richard Branson's pockets and slightly insane brain.

My point is, Princess and most other cruise lines (among several industries) don't give a rip about our "loyalty". Statistically, we spend far less than first time cruisers. Perhaps the only redeeming quality is that the average elite cruiser might bring family members along. As for me, my baby doesn't buy much when I go on a cruise, so I'm pretty worthless to the cruise lines.

I don't mean to rant, but I don't understand why people get so angry that there are others that have cruised as much as them and "cheated" to get there. And then how the benefits used to be better but not anymore. On the HAL boards today I read someone ranting about how they no longer got a free glass of champagne when they boarded. If you want all the niceties, pay 2x as much and go on a premium line or pony up when you come on board. My generation lives on credit, which I think is awful, but it is what it is, and its what the cruise line is latching on to.

My 2 cents, sorry if I angered folks.

I understand what you are saying. I sure don't cruise for the headache water. ;)

Some get Elite without cruising at all.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I don't believe there is any 'easy' way to elite. The perks for being elite are not much if you only take 1 to 4 day cruises. I have seen many of the blue cards that are rude and obnoxious too, that behavior is not limited to black cards.

Rex

I don't believe there is any 'easy' way to elite. The perks for being elite are not much if you only take 1 to 4 day cruises. I have seen many of the blue cards that are rude and obnoxious too, that behavior is not limited to black cards.

Rex

I definitely agree with you there about the blue cards. Unfortunately, thats squarely who princess and other lines are going after...blue card folks. Just so people are aware, whenever I was cruising under a "friends and family" discounted rate, I had a "blue" card and had no benefits other than priority boarding. We did some cruises where we paid regular price and longer cruises too.

Black cards, blue cards, suites, inside staterooms - there are rude people in every category. There is always someone who feels they should get something more and they don't mind letting everyone know how they feel. The rest of us must listen and put up with them. :D

I've met some very nice people with all colors of cards. If you are a rude and nasty person on land, you will be a rude and nasty person on the ship regardless of the color of your cruise card. You can't hide that personality trait for long anywhere. Thankfully there are plenty of places to get away from them.

Celebrity just created an elite plus level and now some elites are mad that they weren't grandfathered to the elite plus level. Yet , it was some elites who were mad that too many others were becoming elite the "easy" way, so celebrity listened. Now several elites are upset. Celebrity created a system where you get credit depending on the type of accommodation, so if you book an inside, you won't get nearly as many points or credits as someone who books a balcony,

So now celebrity listened, and many elites are mad that it will take them forever to make it to elite plus if booking an inside cabin. :rolleyes:

But this way it is a fairer system , but many don't view it that way. They view it as a caste system.

Truthfully, the perks aren't worth it on celebrity. Princess has better perks, IMHO.

Last time we cruised out of San Pedro there were maybe 250 Elites and about as many Platinums, but 1,600 this pat march? Wow!

Edited by 4cats4me

I guess my bottom line is - who gives a rip? I mean - let's be honest - people, typically "achieve" different "statuses" because they "buy" more cruises - that's all. There is no "achievement" in real terms. No offense but that's the truth. If someone is rude - they're just rude - period - regardless of their perceived "status."

Getting back to the OP and her observations and my response.....I was really trying to make a comparison between the nouveau riche and old money.

I have seen people waving their shiny black cards expecting to get to the front of lines and demanding better service than anyone else. Granted any color cardholder can be rude, but it's getting more prevalent as the cost of cruises becomes within reach of more and more of the "me first" generation.

So, I’m patiently standing in a line to get onto a tender when I can feel someone off of my right shoulder trying to get by me. I turn my head to see who it is and take a slight step to the right to block the person. The woman is holding up a black cruise card and with an annoyed look on her face she says “I’m elite, I get to go first”.

I hold up my black card and tell her, “that doesn’t mean anything to me and the line is behind me. “

I do believe those were death stares I was getting from her on the tender. :D

My guess is she is just as rude off the ship as she was on.

Also just off this cruise. The most traveled luncheon cut-off was over 500 days sailed. The most sailed had 1600+ days.

We were in line for the CC host and the gal in front of us was shocked that she didn't qualify for the luncheon.

Ran into a few 'Prune-y People'. We just avoid them. Overall we found people that we would love to travel with again.

Funny story--- While waiting for the Crew Talent show to start balloons were passed out. Must have been 500 balloons being swatted around the theater at one point. Most were having fun, except for the several who were in full 'Grinch' mode with arms crossed and the other two who were trying to read their Kindles.

So, I’m patiently standing in a line to get onto a tender when I can feel someone off of my right shoulder trying to get by me. I turn my head to see who it is and take a slight step to the right to block the person. The woman is holding up a black cruise card and with an annoyed look on her face she says “I’m elite, I get to go first”.

I hold up my black card and tell her, “that doesn’t mean anything to me and the line is behind me. “

I do believe those were death stares I was getting from her on the tender. :D

My guess is she is just as rude off the ship as she was on.

I thought that elite just got you a tender ticket before everyone; you still have to wait in line to load don't you. Sheesh how annoying of that person!

Getting back to the OP and her observations and my response.....I was really trying to make a comparison between the nouveau riche and old money.

I have seen people waving their shiny black cards expecting to get to the front of lines and demanding better service than anyone else. Granted any color cardholder can be rude, but it's getting more prevalent as the cost of cruises becomes within reach of more and more of the "me first" generation.

But how does your theory hold water if the luncheon requirement was so high? Doesn't that indicate that the vast amount of elites on board made it on days?

Look at Virgin America airlines, consistently rated the top domestic airline with mood lighting, food ordered on demand, and video screens with tv, movies, music, games in every seat, yet its constantly in the red and would be out of business if not for Richard Branson's pockets and slightly insane brain.

Good news for you, and maybe the rest of us. I just read an article stating that Virgin is beginning to form a cruise line!

My black card stays firmly in my pocket except for entering our stateroom, making a purchase or boarding and leaving the ship....but I often giggle at M&Gs or when speaking to other Elite members how they not knowing where you are in the program will go to great obvious pains to make sure that their black card which is hanging from their necks is facing outwards.;)