Just how bad is the coffee on Princess ?

The Other Tom

Where is the free coffee (concentrate or otherwise) available from? Can you get it at the IC or do they just have brewed/espresso based?

PS As a new user, I like these re-hashed topics. Even if you've seen the same replies (or made the same replies) hundreds of times in the past, it's all new to me.

Where is the free coffee (concentrate or otherwise) available from? Can you get it at the IC or do they just have brewed/espresso based?

PS As a new user, I like these re-hashed topics. Even if you've seen the same replies (or made the same replies) hundreds of times in the past, it's all new to me.

Free coffee is available at the various restaurants; the self service is at the HC. The IC serves brewed coffee, for which you have to pay or need a coffee card. They also serve coffee drinks.

Edited by Wehwalt

Same (new to Princess, at least). This site has the weird distinction of being the only message board I'm on where people are regularly berated for posting messages relevant to the topic at hand (cruising).

You'll often see "why on earth are you posting that here instead of calling the cruise line?" when someone is obviously looking for the real-world experiences of other cruisers.

Fortunately there is an ignore list. :)

Old for who? Clearly some folks are new at least to this topic and if they want to ask why not. If it's old for you then move on.

Thank you jacketwatch. I haven't cruised in 15 years and never on Princess. So, to me and many others, these threads are interesting and usually informative.

I appreciate that some of the more experienced members on this board see it as an opportunity to give their opinions and experience from first-hand knowledge.

I like a two or three cups of nice strong, black, coffee in the morning. (I don't drink coffee at other times--then it is hot or iced tea--and do not drink specialty coffees.) My latest cruise was my first experience with Princess. I found the coffee fine. Typical restaurant coffee, it is similar to the coffee I buy from the snack bar at work. I thought the Princess coffee quite similar to that found on other lines.

Thank you jacketwatch. I haven't cruised in 15 years and never on Princess. So, to me and many others, these threads are interesting and usually informative.

I appreciate that some of the more experienced members on this board see it as an opportunity to give their opinions and experience from first-hand knowledge.

No problem. You will always at times find some who post some sort of a barbed comment. It never helps. Just be polite.

Cheers, Larry

This and the coffee threads before it, only revealed you will have to form your own opinion of it. It's way too subjective as Pam said. In my opinion, it's an ok base for what you might put in it, but black coffee drinkers may not be so thrilled!

Edited by MTJSR

Same (new to Princess, at least). This site has the weird distinction of being the only message board I'm on where people are regularly berated for posting messages relevant to the topic at hand (cruising).

You'll often see "why on earth are you posting that here instead of calling the cruise line?" when someone is obviously looking for the real-world experiences of other cruisers.

Fortunately there is an ignore list. :)

Thank you, that is how we feel...

We've had many cruises on Celebrity and R/C and one MSC, so far we like the Celebrity best (Aqua class, Blu restaurant) but we are trying Princess this time.

And, other cruisers experiences ("with a grain of salt") is the best way to get REAL answers.

This and the coffee threads before it, only revealed you will have to form your own opinion of it. It's way too subjective as Pam said. In my opinion, it's an ok base for what you might put in it, but black coffee drinkers may not be so thrilled!

I used to put a drop of Kahlua in the Ocean Princess's coffee, on a B2B2B on which they had a cash and carry (well, not really cash) for liquor before the first turnaround day. It helped. Not enough. I'm a black coffee drinker and don't really like it flavored.

Edited by Wehwalt

Very true. I like it black, no sugar so I find their usual stuff awful. If it's that bad I put c/s in it to make it drinkable for me.

There is a reason the better stuff goes for around $15.00 per lb. ;)

Well, I do like it for a snack with a plop of soft serve ice cream in it.

For me thats masking the coffees flavor. :D.

Again thanks for your apology. Its nice to see that here.

BTW we usually get the coffee card and go to the MDR for breakfast and dinner and though they don't have to the waiters have always gone to the IC to get me the premium brew. :)

I'm glad you're not a slob with your coffee...that could be messy! With the exception of the Royal and regal where the coffee is brewed, the other ships serve coffee made from a syrup....tastes as good as it sounds. I like Starbucks and always get a coffee card.

(I should preface this with saying this is MY experience on many, many Princess ships.) Actually, on Princess ships what's served in the Horizon Court is the syrup type. I'm certainly no coffee snob either and that coffee is usually "ok" -- not great but certainly drinkable. However, on the Star last spring, it was literally UNDRINKABLE. I have no idea what they were doing wrong but I think everyone on board agreed that it wasn't even worth pouring in a cup.

HOWEVER, all coffee you get at the International Cafe or any of the dining rooms IS brewed coffee and NOT the syrup-type and actually very good coffee. I use my coffee cards and take a cup up with me for breakfast in the HC.

dickwho: Here is the method. 1) brew up three pots of the cheapest coffee that you can find. (Dollar Store, perhaps?) 2) Pour the three pots into one large metal stock pot 3) leave on the kitchen counter for two days 4) on the third day boil the stock pot until the brew reduces to approximately 5 % of the original volume. 4) Let cool 5) on the next day add three or four coffee pot measures of water from your aquarium or goldfish bowls. (add some water back to the bowl to give the fish somewhere to swim. 6) bring to a boil and enjoy.

...on Princess ships what's served in the Horizon Court is the syrup type...on the Star last spring, it was literally UNDRINKABLE. I have no idea what they were doing wrong but I think everyone on board agreed that it wasn't even worth pouring in a cup...

It was the same situation on the Golden a couple years ago. I finally figured out that the fountain-type dispenser in the HC that served several different beverages (coffee, decaf, iced tea, and hot water) was co-mingling them somewhere in the system. I realized this when one day the hot water looked brownish and tasted like watered-down coffee, and another day like watered-down tea. And the coffee tasted like it was mixed with tea. I mentioned this to a worker there, and he just shrugged.

It was a little better in the HC on the Ruby last fall, but not by much. I guess they want you to buy the good stuff in the IC.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

dickwho: Here is the method. 1) brew up three pots of the cheapest coffee that you can find. (Dollar Store, perhaps?) 2) Pour the three pots into one large metal stock pot 3) leave on the kitchen counter for two days 4) on the third day boil the stock pot until the brew reduces to approximately 5 % of the original volume. 4) Let cool 5) on the next day add three or four coffee pot measures of water from your aquarium or goldfish bowls. (add some water back to the bowl to give the fish somewhere to swim. 6) bring to a boil and enjoy.

Buy an old-style percolator from a junkyard. Don't clean it, the soil adds character. Use too much grounds and too little water. Leave on for 12 hours. Serve in Horizon Court.

Edited by Wehwalt

HEY PRINCESS....ARE YOU READING THIS? (Shouting)

Seems more than a few of your "cruisers" are unhappy with the coffee....

Over the past few years more and more people are getting into having better coffee...

Do you think MAYBE it's time to make an improvement?