Sailing aboard the NOORDAM this November 2017

ancientmarinerjoe

HI All:

Any help in self guided tours @ each stop on this cruise?

After researching all this, I realize that were novices on guided(?) tours @ each stop. I don't want to get burned and is the ship,etc.

The tours offered by HAL are just to darned expensive for three of us. OUCH!

Were looking to hook up with tours that other HAL shipboard guests will be on.

We hear that watomo(?) is a place to visit.

WE especially want to see the original MAURI village and GREETING are one highlight we don't want to miss.

ancientmarinerjoe

If you have not already done so, post your query about private tours in NZ and Australia on the Ports of Call forum for "Australia and NZ". I'd also go to Trip Advisor and post on the NZ and Australia forums. (Unfortunately, I can't help you with guided tours as we used our own car in Australia and rented cars in NZ so that we could do sightseeing on our own.)

Also, it's "Waitomo" and "Maori"--you'll want to make sure the spelling is right for internet searching.

I will be on the Maasdam leaving Auckland November 27.

I cannot fly to Sydney as my visa application got denied (took a whole year just for them to deny it)

These are good tips for a long flight. I flew to Tahiti back in 2014 and the flight wasn't so bad because it was red eye and slept for most of it but to New Zealand this ads another 5 plus hours. It will all be worth it though because at the end of the day I will be on a 22 day cruise to some once in a lifetime places. :)

HI All:

Any help in self guided tours @ each stop on this cruise?

After researching all this, I realize that were novices on guided(?) tours @ each stop. I don't want to get burned and is the ship,etc.

The tours offered by HAL are just to darned expensive for three of us. OUCH!

Were looking to hook up with tours that other HAL shipboard guests will be on.

We hear that watomo(?) is a place to visit.

WE especially want to see the original MAURI village and GREETING are one highlight we don't want to miss.

ancientmarinerjoe

Hi,

we cruised NZ back in March 2016 and used this company for a few tours including hobbiton https://www.shoretripsandtours.com/S...uranga-Rotorua

They were great and Hobbiton was fantastic.

We also did the Weta Cave workshop tour in Wellington which was short (about 45 minutes) but interesting. The shop was interesting and there were some good photo opportunities with the trolls. We took a cab from the ship (about $NZ30 from memory) and a bus back to the city.http://wetaworkshop.com/visit-us/workshop-tours/

(yes we are Lord of the Rings tragics)

We also used this company for a couple of tours and would recommend them http://www.zealandiertours.com/

Does anyone know if Holland America does theme nights like some lines do? White night, hippie night, pirate night? We're sailing on the 15-day Sydney to Auckland trip in October, would like to be prepared with an eye patch or a hippie vest... Thanks!

Does anyone know if Holland America does theme nights like some lines do?

They don't. Now, if you are sailing over Halloween, there may (I emphasize "may") be a costume party, but I wouldn't bet on it happening. I've sailed twice over Halloween, but there has never been anything made of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ancient mariner Joe, I understand that cameras and picture taking is not allowed on the Sydney bridge climb. I don't know about Go Pro cameras.

DD

OH NO!. That's 1/2 half the reason I want to do it. What GREAT MEMORIES I would have doing that.

Ancient Mariner Joe