? about Princess insurance

Shmoo here

You can add it up until final payment date.

In fact many people believe they have "purchased" the Princess Vacation Protection by electing it when making their deposit--but if they only pay the required deposit and not the PVP cost it does not take effect until final payment anyway.

Why pay for it at time of booking? To get the 60 day lookback period out of the way so that any pre-existing conditions are fully covered by the time the penalty phase of cancellation kicks in. Of course you have to balance that against the fact that the PVP cost is entirely not refundable no matter when you purchase it.

Edited by fishywood

When I booked on a drop & go deal and failed to get princess insurance at the same time, I called Princess the following day to add the insurance. They were firm that it is not available for me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I booked on a drop & go deal and failed to get princess insurance at the same time, I called Princess the following day to add the insurance. They were firm that it is not available for me anymore.

Because you are already into the penalty phase of cancellation. I know some lines give you 24 hours to purchase their coverage when you book after final payment but I have never asked Princess, just paid for the insurance immediately no matter how short notice the booking is in spite of how extremely unlikely it is that I would have to cancel. ($39 for $50k medical evacuation coverage is too good an offer for a certifiable klutz like me to pass up, as surely one of these days I will fall and break something while on some strange island).

Because you are already into the penalty phase of cancellation. I know some lines give you 24 hours to purchase their coverage when you book after final payment but I have never asked Princess, just paid for the insurance immediately no matter how short notice the booking is in spite of how extremely unlikely it is that I would have to cancel. ($39 for $50k medical evacuation coverage is too good an offer for a certifiable klutz like me to pass up, as surely one of these days I will fall and break something while on some strange island).

Right. I was actually asked when I booked by phone but I declined. Was my fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have any history of ongoing health issues, you'd be wise to go ahead and pay for the insurance at the time of booking or very soon after, in case there is a negative change in your status between booking and sailing.

JMHO, of course

Our issue with using any cruise line provided insurance is that it only covers the travel you have booked thru the cruise line.

So if you book your own air travel, etc...no coverage.

3rd party is far more likely to cover you from door to door.

If you have any history of ongoing health issues, you'd be wise to go ahead and pay for the insurance at the time of booking or very soon after, in case there is a negative change in your status between booking and sailing.

JMHO, of course

Oh, I know that. We've purchased insurance for all our cruises (except the first - we didn't know any better).

As I said, typically we purchase 3rd party insurance. But, on our last 2 Princess cruises, we just went with the Princess coverage. We're thinking of booking a longer cruise next time and I haven't done enough research as to whether to stick with Princess insurance or get our own. And we're booking it today.

I just wanted to be sure I could still get the Princess insurance later, if it turns out that will work for us.

You can add it up until final payment date.

In fact many people believe they have "purchased" the Princess Vacation Protection by electing it when making their deposit--but if they only pay the required deposit and not the PVP cost it does not take effect until final payment anyway.

Why pay for it at time of booking? To get the 60 day lookback period out of the way so that any pre-existing conditions are fully covered by the time the penalty phase of cancellation kicks in. Of course you have to balance that against the fact that the PVP cost is entirely not refundable no matter when you purchase it.

Princess Vacation Protection is fully refundable until you have entered the penalty period (at final payment).

I normally pay for Princess Vacation Protection immediately after booking if neither DW or I have had any changes in medications during the previous 60 days. If we have, then I pay for it as soon as we have a 60-day period with no changes. I have cancelled several cruises before final payment, and I have always received a full refund for the Princess Vacation Protection payment.

Oh, I know that. We've purchased insurance for all our cruises (except the first - we didn't know any better).

As I said, typically we purchase 3rd party insurance. But, on our last 2 Princess cruises, we just went with the Princess coverage. We're thinking of booking a longer cruise next time and I haven't done enough research as to whether to stick with Princess insurance or get our own. And we're booking it today.

I just wanted to be sure I could still get the Princess insurance later, if it turns out that will work for us.

You can add the Princess Vacation Protection any time before you make the final payment. The 60-day look back for pre-existing conditions will be the 60 days before you pay for the Princess Vacation Protection.

You can cancel Princess Vacation Protection at any time before the final payment and start of penalty period and receive a full refund (if you have paid for it).

Princess Vacation Protection is the best choice for some people and not for others, depending on several factors. Some of the factors:

• Age: Princess Vacation Protection costs the same for everyone without regard to age. Most third party insurance costs significantly more for older people.
  • Ruby or higher: Princess Vacation Protection is less expensive for Captains Circle Ruby, Platinum, or Elite.
  • Other medical insurance: Medicare provides no coverage outside the United States. Some Medicare supplements provide primary insurance outside the United States, and some provide no coverage where Medicare provides no coverage. If you have no other coverage, then Princess Vacation Protection limits may not be sufficient. If you have other valid coverage, the Princess Vacation Protection may be sufficient.

IMO Princess insurance just doesn’t have enough coverage limits. The medical and evacuation coverage are severely limited. The only good thing about Princess is being Platinum we get the upgraded insurance that gives you 100% credit for cancel for any reason. But even that isn’t enough to get us to purchase it.

I highly recommend the Nationwide Luxury Cruise policy, excellent coverages and we had a very easy claim process. The price is reasonable and the 70% cancel for any reason rider is not much more. Plus you can book up to final payment and have pre-existing condition coverage. We now buy this on all our cruises:

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-luxury.html

• 2 months later...
You can add the Princess Vacation Protection any time before you make the final payment. The 60-day look back for pre-existing conditions will be the 60 days before you pay for the Princess Vacation Protection.

You can cancel Princess Vacation Protection at any time before the final payment and start of penalty period and receive a full refund (if you have paid for it).

Princess Vacation Protection is the best choice for some people and not for others, depending on several factors. Some of the factors:

• Age: Princess Vacation Protection costs the same for everyone without regard to age. Most third party insurance costs significantly more for older people.
  • Ruby or higher: Princess Vacation Protection is less expensive for Captains Circle Ruby, Platinum, or Elite.
  • Other medical insurance: Medicare provides no coverage outside the United States. Some Medicare supplements provide primary insurance outside the United States, and some provide no coverage where Medicare provides no coverage. If you have no other coverage, then Princess Vacation Protection limits may not be sufficient. If you have other valid coverage, the Princess Vacation Protection may be sufficient.

Wonderful, helpful post. Really needed the details about the pre-existing conditions. And your actual experience with the policy being refunded before final payment if having to cancel.

If you book the Princess EZair is it covered in the trip cancellation/interruption coverages? Does it matter if the air is booked after paying for the insurance? For example, if you book a cruise for 2019 and pay for the insurance than add air late in 2018 is it included in the coverage?

Thanks.