Oceania v Celebrity

Presto2

We have sailed with Celebrity 3 times on the Silhouette and loved our aft cabin. We have just received some information through the post from Oceania cruises and the deals look very good. We also saw one of the ships when we were on our last cruise and she looked really nice. :)

Basically, we want to know what you think the advantages are of booking Oceania over Celebrity Cruises Solstice class (in August!) ?

Many thanks for your help ---- to be honest what we have seen looks too good to be true!

Many thanks for your help ---- to be honest what we have seen looks too good to be true!

what do you think is too good to be true :confused:

Never been on X so I cannot comment but there are several threads on O VS Celebrity

Use the search feature above it should give you some ideas

What I can tell about O is the ships are smaller, no formal nights, no set dining times, no extra fees for specialty dining , no charge for non alcoholic drinks

but you probably read all that ;)

There have been several threads on this topic before.

Here are some (just to name a few):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1889262&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788748&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1738901&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1617184&highlight=oceania+vs+celebrity

This should give you plenty of information. However, if you have additional more specific questions after reading all this, please post here again.

Personally, I think there really is no comparison - Oceania being far superior to Celebrity in all aspects but price. This, of course, is JMO :)

Thanks all , will look at the posts provided.

Sorry if I we have asked a question that has been asked before but we are 'newbies' to the Oceania thread so didn't know. Must admit, we may have a lot of posts on Cruise Critic, but once we are on a new thread / cruise line it makes us feel like newbies who have no idea what to ask / expect.

Please ignore our ignorance.

Been on Oceania 6 times and Celebrity 10. We love both, but Celebrity is usually about a third the price of Oceania, and we don't love Oceania three times as much, so Celebrity usually wins out. If it were only twice the price, we would pick Oceania.

Thanks all , will look at the posts provided.

Sorry if I we have asked a question that has been asked before but we are 'newbies' to the Oceania thread so didn't know. Must admit, we may have a lot of posts on Cruise Critic, but once we are on a new thread / cruise line it makes us feel like newbies who have no idea what to ask / expect.

Please ignore our ignorance.

It is very hard to cover all the differences between the two

If you are more specific in your questions we can answer you better

I am still confused by your statement about the too good to be true :confused:

We sailed Celebrity Solstice for the first time this May, and have been aboard both O and R class ships in Oceania. I was concerned about feeling we were "stepping down" to a general line after four cruises with O, but we enjoyed Celebrity.

The O ships are certainly smaller than Solstice class. They are quieter. The food is better. The demographic of your fellow passengers will differ - generally older aboard O, but better traveled, but if you like the Celebrity folks, you will like O folks too.

Service is about equal (I was really surprised - I expected Celebrity to be below O in this feature). Cabins are about equal on the R class ships and below PH on the O ships.

I appreciate the casual dress code aboard O, so no silly "dress up" if you don't want to - but some enjoy it, and that's ok too aboard O. There's no hassle with scheduling meals since O is all open seating - and you don't feel like "second class citizens" being seated upstairs on Solstice class ships if you're select dining. O doesn't have the "nickel and dime" feel of Celebrity - all drinks are included except alcohol on O, and no upcharge for any of the alternative dining.

We were comfortable aboard Celebrity, so I'm sure you will feel comfortable aboard O as well. O is typically somewhat more expensive, but after you consider the upcharges and airfares Celebrity does not include the difference is not dramatic.

Either way, I'm certain you'll enjoy O.

Too good to be true - I'm beginning to think that this is a phrase we use a lot in the UK (if things seem just right and you think there must be a catch in it somewhere) which may have a slightly different meaning on other parts of the world. One of those 'we both speak English but the meaning isn't always the same' phrases.

Anyway, to explain the comment.

We received a leaflet through the post yesterday with some special offers for next August. The prices had been slashed and there is free airfare. For a 12 night med cruise it came out as £2,400 for a veranda cabin. We saw The Riviera when we were on holiday this year and she seems a lovely ship and were pleased to discover that, included in this price were:

*bottled water and soft drinks

*all speciality restaurants - we tend to spend quite a lot on those on Celebrity

*it seems more adult friendly - we have to go mid August

*the ships look great - a nice size

*the cabins too look very modern and larger than Celebrity

*there is any time dining - which we prefer

*it is still a little dressy - more smart casual if I'm right - which suits us

*fewer passengers for the ship

And the itineraries looked good and we had heard that the quality of the food and service was better than other cruise lines.

Hope that makes sense -

That seems like our list of must haves on a cruise are covered and, on this occasion, at a good price. We were wondering what the 'catch' was!

We had the little brochure yesterday too and thought the offers for next year were good. So much so an hour later after the mail arriving we were booked! We have sailed 6 times with Celebrity and twice with Oceania but would choose Oceania first if in our price range. Just loved the Marina, with 2 more cruises booked. :)

We had the little brochure yesterday too and thought the offers for next year were good. So much so an hour later after the mail arriving we were booked! We have sailed 6 times with Celebrity and twice with Oceania but would choose Oceania first if in our price range. Just loved the Marina, with 2 more cruises booked. :)

I must admit, if we hadn't booked our holiday for next August we would have been very tempted too. Do you know if they do offers like this often or is this a one off ?

I am not sure how often they have such good offers. I booked direct with Oceania for the first time and they gave free Internet and gratuities too. Interestingly they said if a cruise was booked at a certain price then the same category cabin was on sale lower before final payment they would reduce the fare accordingly. I wonder if you have to draw it to their attention or it happens automatically.

Interestingly they said if a cruise was booked at a certain price then the same category cabin was on sale lower before final payment they would reduce the fare accordingly. I wonder if you have to draw it to their attention or it happens automatically.

Hi, they do this on Celebrity as well, but we have had to keep our eyes open ourselves re the price drops and then got in touch with our TA. We have had some really good price drops in the past as well. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Too good to be true - I'm beginning to think that this is a phrase we use a lot in the UK (if things seem just right and you think there must be a catch in it somewhere) which may have a slightly different meaning on other parts of the world. One of those 'we both speak English but the meaning isn't always the same' phrases.

The Riviera when we were on holiday this year and she seems a lovely ship and were pleased to discover that, included in this price were:

*bottled water and soft drinks

*all speciality restaurants - we tend to spend quite a lot on those on Celebrity

*it seems more adult friendly - we have to go mid August

*the ships look great - a nice size

*the cabins too look very modern and larger than Celebrity

*there is any time dining - which we prefer

*it is still a little dressy - more smart casual if I'm right - which suits us

*fewer passengers for the ship

And the itineraries looked good and we had heard that the quality of the food and service was better than other cruise lines.

Hope that makes sense -

That seems like our list of must haves on a cruise are covered and, on this occasion, at a good price. We were wondering what the 'catch' was!

Same meaning

Well WYSIWYG =what you see is what you get

It is all true

Check the online website for cabin sizes I believe it includes the balconies

but the cabins are spacious enough for us the closet is a bit strange but works out fine

I would go & try it for yourself ;)

Lyn

Same meaning

Well WYSIWYG =what you see is what you get

It is all true

Check the online website for cabin sizes I believe it includes the balconies

but the cabins are spacious enough for us the closet is a bit strange but works out fine

I would go & try it for yourself ;)

Lyn

I suppose I am a bit of an Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh???) so always think there is a catch when we get 'special offers' through the post. Must admit, it does look like a cruise line we would enjoy so will start researching a bit more now!

Many thanks for your help everyone - much appreciated:)

I suppose I am a bit of an Eeyore (Winnie the Pooh???) so always think there is a catch when we get 'special offers' through the post. Must admit, it does look like a cruise line we would enjoy so will start researching a bit more now!

Many thanks for your help everyone - much appreciated:)

Yes somethings in life are too good to be true

Here in North America the offers are the same 2for 1 & free air ..it is marketing ;)

Besides the all inclusive things what you are really paying extra for is more crew per pass and less people on the ship per size. This should equate to better service and no or little lines, getting a seat where and when you want. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. If you are a steak and lobster person this is the line for you. If you like the big shows X has this is not for you. It is a great trip but only you can decide if the price point is for you. Good luck!

Besides the all inclusive things what you are really paying extra for is more crew per pass and less people on the ship per size. This should equate to better service and no or little lines, getting a seat where and when you want. Sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't. If you are a steak and lobster person this is the line for you. If you like the big shows X has this is not for you. It is a great trip but only you can decide if the price point is for you. Good luck!

Hi, we never go to the shows so quieter entertainment would suit us --- having a drink with a piano playing in the background is enough for us.

We originally went to Celebrity because we had been told that the entertainment was quiet etc so it sounds like Oceania would suit us.

Re the price - we could only do it based on the offers, not the full cost.:)

No one pays the full brochure rate ...

Hubby always says that no one every gets anything free!

Must admit, the prices on the leaflet looked good though and we will have a good look the next time we are booking a cruise. In the past we have thought that Oceania was way beyond our budget. :)

I must admit, if we hadn't booked our holiday for next August we would have been very tempted too. Do you know if they do offers like this often or is this a one off ?

I would avoid any holiday period as it will have more kids on it...on any ship

I have sailed on many lines and the value for the fare, the ambiance and the fellow passengers on Oceiana are very wonderful.

Each line attracts a different sort of passenger. Whether you love of hate a ship depends on how you fit into that ships character and niche.

I have sailed Celeberity and have choosen Oceaina because of the following:

Ships are comfortable in size 1/3 the size of Oceania ; They are designed as relaxed yet lnitmate luxury ships for people who can entertain themselves not floating resorts or amusement parks, gardens or lawns.

They are all about the ocean experience in and of it's self for people who love ships, the sea and ocean travel.

For the most part the fare you pay up front is the price of your cruise, there is not the nickel and dime charges for everything under the sun.

I found it easy on other lines to spend far more than I expected and far more than Oceaina for a similiar cruise...

All dinning is included at all the speciality restraunts (5) and if you crave lobster you can have it daily in all the restauraunts..including the pool grill. Open dining at all restauraunts with reservation, not fixed times .

Special wine / food dining in La Reserve for a modest cost.

Air fare rt...included,

You are free to birng on board your own favorite wines and sprits for your cabin, not so with others.

No formal nights, whoopie-do meets everything is low key casual.

Laundrys. self service should you choose...not present on others.

Oceaina has NO kids programs except in Alaska and there are ver few, except on holiday.

Great cabins...all with tub and shower. And as a much smaller ship it is easy to get around

Great enrichment options such as hands on cookiing and art classes, absent on Celeberity

That is why I , after sailing other lines sought out Oceaina ....it is for me true value and in a environment that I enjoy...... there is no hook if you thus enjoy the same.

I would avoid any holiday period as it will have more kids on it...on any ship

I have sailed on many lines and the value for the fare, the ambiance and the fellow passengers on Oceiana are very wonderful.

Each line attracts a different sort of passenger. Whether you love of hate a ship depends on how you fit into that ships character and niche.

I have sailed Celeberity and have choosen Oceaina because of the following:

Ships are comfortable in size 1/3 the size of Oceania ; They are designed as relaxed yet lnitmate luxury ships for people who can entertain themselves not floating resorts or amusement parks, gardens or lawns.

They are all about the ocean experience in and of it's self for people who love ships, the sea and ocean travel.

For the most part the fare you pay up front is the price of your cruise, there is not the nickel and dime charges for everything under the sun.

I found it easy on other lines to spend far more than I expected and far more than Oceaina for a similiar cruise...

All dinning is included at all the speciality restraunts (5) and if you crave lobster you can have it daily in all the restauraunts..including the pool grill. Open dining at all restauraunts with reservation, not fixed times .

Special wine / food dining in La Reserve for a modest cost.

Air fare rt...included,

You are free to birng on board your own favorite wines and sprits for your cabin, not so with others.

No formal nights, whoopie-do meets everything is low key casual.

Laundrys. self service should you choose...not present on others.

Oceaina has NO kids programs except in Alaska and there are ver few, except on holiday.

Great cabins...all with tub and shower. And as a much smaller ship it is easy to get around

Great enrichment options such as hands on cookiing and art classes, absent on Celeberity

That is why I , after sailing other lines sought out Oceaina ....it is for me true value and in a environment that I enjoy...... there is no hook if you thus enjoy the same.

Mmmmm - this sounds great to us ! We have to go on a cruise in August (no choice because of our jobs) but the whole tone of the above makes us think that this may be another cruise line for us. Must admit, we quite like the formal evenings but are happy as long as meals feel special and it is smart casual for meals. (Can't be doing with shorts and t shirts for my evening meal).

Just to check - what drinks can you carry on board? On Celebrity you can take one bottle each at embarkation and that is it.

Thanks again - will now keep looking at Oceania :)

PS I still think it sounds 'too good to be true' as it seems to fit us perfectly!

The answer is that O does not restrict what alcohol you bring aboard in any way, as long as you act responsibly and drink it in your cabin. We always take a bottle each of our favorite alcohol (he likes vodka, I like gin), and we may pick up some in ports as we go along, depending on how long the cruise. The cabin stewards will stock your favorite mixer in your frig. The only requirement is that you consume your alcohol in your cabin, do not take it on deck. If you have a special wine you choose ashore, you can enjoy it at dinner, but there is a $25 corkage fee.

As you'll see from the link below that talks about the "change" in O's alcohol policy, many have brought enough aboard for several parties in their cabin, with no problems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1906947

The answer is that O does not restrict what alcohol you bring aboard in any way, as long as you act responsibly and drink it in your cabin. We always take a bottle each of our favorite alcohol (he likes vodka, I like gin), and we may pick up some in ports as we go along, depending on how long the cruise. The cabin stewards will stock your favorite mixer in your frig. The only requirement is that you consume your alcohol in your cabin, do not take it on deck. If you have a special wine you choose ashore, you can enjoy it at dinner, but there is a $25 corkage fee.

As you'll see from the link below that talks about the "change" in O's alcohol policy, many have brought enough aboard for several parties in their cabin, with no problems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1906947

That's great - it is like P&O's policy and makes far more sense. It is so annoying to go on a ship excursion that includes a wine tour and then can't drink the wine in your cabin when you return. Totally stupid.

This gets better and better for us ! :)

Archived